• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
sick&tired

Antibiotic Absorbtion?

Rate this topic

I am self diagnosed by a gluten-free diet. (What a difference!) I have developed an infection on the knuckle of my hand. The doc is concerned about a bone infection if it doesn't improve.

I first had an injection of an antibiotic to be followed up with a regimine of pills. I should have seen an improvement within 2 days. I didn't, so back to the Doc for another injection and a different antibiotic. It's 5 days later with no real improvement in swelling and pain and I'm wondering if because of celiac disease the antibiotic can't be absorbed.

Here is a quote I just read online about bone infection treatment:

Parenterally administered antibiotics are usually employed, but oral therapy is also effective when the pathogen is sufficiently susceptible and gastrointestinal absorption is ensured.

Thanks for all the info I've gained from this board. Hopefully, someone knows something about this. My Doc is pretty clueless when it comes to celiac disease.

Sincerely,

Bobbi

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

The injections go directly to your blood stream, so there should be no issues with them. They never go into your intestines, so nothing to worry about with them.

As far as the others go, I have always been told not to worry about it, they will be absorbed. Maybe someone has some research on this issue. I just know what I have been told in the past.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Thanks Jessica. Yes, I know the injections skip the gastro tract. I was given injections as a jump start for treatment. Could be I'm not getting the right anti-biotic or possibly it's not being properly absorbed because of celiac disease. Looks like I'll have to return to the Doctor today. I don't want to end up in the hospital with an I.V. drip if it turns into a bone infection.

Best to all.........

Bobbi