This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

'back Muscle Spams'

Ashley

Ashley Enthusiast

Need some advice. Late Tuesday Night/Wednesday morning, I had started to have stabbing back pains, painful enough to make me cry out and wake my mom. Couldn't breathe so had to go to the ER. My face, above my eyes/eyelids, lips, and right hand began to turn blue. I lost feeling in that right hand and felt all tingly all over, a lot 'round my mouth too. All my stats showed that I had plently oxygen. Got a shot in the hip, some x-rays, and was told I had an asthma attack or hyperventilated. I've dealt with hyperventilating before, and never had these back pains. The ER doctor told they could be 'back muscle spams'. Slowly after the shot, I regain normal color and could breathe.

But, I'm still dealing with these back pains. I didn't fall, or do anything to make my back hurt. Tylenol or anything like doesn't help it all. It's still bothering me right now. It's nothing like the pain was the first time, but, it's gradually increased day-by-day. Should I worry about it?

-Ash

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

:( Geez, that sounds horrible. I am so sorry that you are having such pain. I would GO TO THE DR. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND GET A COMPLETE CHECKUP. All of us who are praying people will say a prayer for you and keep us posted.

btw-could you possibly have gall bladder problems? Sometimes that will cause back pain. (Just throwing out ideas):)

Nantzie Collaborator

I agree, definitely go to the doctor asap THIS WEEK. The discoloration must have been scary. I too remember hearing that gall bladder pain will hit you in the back right between the shoulder blades and you can have a real hard time breathing. I don't know about the discoloration though. I can't remember hearing anything about that.

I see that you've got asthma, and the bluish discoloration would make sense with that because the bluish is usually from lack of oxygen in some way. So asthma would make a lot of sense with this.

If it happens again or you're just worried about it, you can have your mom call your doctor, even over the weekend, they or one of their partners are always on-call. Then he can tell you if he feels like you should go to the hospital, or if it can wait until an office visit.

Let us know how it goes.

Nancy

Ashley Enthusiast

Oops. Forgot to mention that I went the other day, so tired. They disagree that it was an asthma attack, since my lungs and x-rays were fine. They believed I had an anxiety attack. Had an EKG done and don't know the results of that yet.

If I keep dealing with the pain for a few more days, I'm going back to the doctor. I'll talk to my mom about the gall bladder possibility.

Thanks Robbie and Nantzie. I'll let you guys know how things go.

-Ash :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Ashley, I think going to a chiropractor would be an excellent idea as well. It's amazing the things they can fix with a simple adjustment, that leave MDs just stumped. Personally, when I have any problems, my chiro is the first person I consult (I consider him my primary caregiver, I wouldn't know what to do without him, most doctors are so clueless).

lindalee Enthusiast
Oops. Forgot to mention that I went the other day, so tired. They disagree that it was an asthma attack, since my lungs and x-rays were fine. They believed I had an anxiety attack. Had an EKG done and don't know the results of that yet.

If I keep dealing with the pain for a few more days, I'm going back to the doctor. I'll talk to my mom about the gall bladder possibility.

I used to get the kind where I'd bend down and couldn't move or it would hurt. Finally I went to the chiropractor and he said it was stress. I went to him about 4 or 5 times and gone. That was ages ago and it has come back a few times and I feel like mine was stress and not enough calcium. I used to cheer and if my ankle or back bothered me I would take more calcium and it would be fine. Took me a while to figure it out. They say if you don't get enough calcium your body takes it from your bones. I definitely don't need that! ;)

Need some advice. Late Tuesday Night/Wednesday morning, I had started to have stabbing back pains, painful enough to make me cry out and wake my mom. Couldn't breathe so had to go to the ER. My face, above my eyes/eyelids, lips, and right hand began to turn blue. I lost feeling in that right hand and felt all tingly all over, a lot 'round my mouth too. All my stats showed that I had plently oxygen. Got a shot in the hip, some x-rays, and was told I had an asthma attack or hyperventilated. I've dealt with hyperventilating before, and never had these back pains. The ER doctor told they could be 'back muscle spams'. Slowly after the shot, I regain normal color and could breathe.

But, I'm still dealing with these back pains. I didn't fall, or do anything to make my back hurt. Tylenol or anything like doesn't help it all. It's still bothering me right now. It's nothing like the pain was the first time, but, it's gradually increased day-by-day. Should I worry about it?

-Ash

Try some epsom salt in the tub. I love that stuff. It relaxes your muscles and gives you magnesium too. I have even used it as a mouthwash when I had a toothache. Don't laugh - It works!! Hope you are better. LindaLee :)

Guest nini

I was going to suggest seeing a chiropractor too... it couldn't hurt, and it just might help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

Ashley, I have back pain too. Mine is caused by Ankylosing Spondylitis and is an inflammation in the lower back and spine. I have had a pain in the middle of my back and on the left side for years which I was told was stress, muscle strain, etc., and I saw a chiropractor regularly for nearly two years for other problems and that but although the other problems were resolved in some fashion that pain never went away. It is clear to me that it was the beginning of what I know now is AS. AS is related to celiac disease through the gut. This is probably not your problem but one clue is if you have any grandparents or parents who are bending over more and more as they age. You can PM me if you want.

Chiropractors can be wonderful if an adjustment is all you need and if you have asthma chances are the right chiropractor could really help you. I prefer the ones that do very gentle adjustments to the ones that make our bones crack but that's just me.

Reflexology might also be helpful.

Have you tried ice packs?

I hope you can get some relief from the pain.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi, you said the attack happened late at night. Were you asleep when it occured? People do not have anxiety attacks in their sleep. Did your doctor do a urinalysis? When glutened I now get bad back pain that is from my kidneys and they will throw microscopic and at times visable blood. Just wanted to make sure your doctor covers all bases.

Nantzie Collaborator

How're you feeling Ashley?

Ashley Enthusiast

I tried talking to Mom about going to a chiropractor. That went nowhere <_< . I'm going to pull her up to the computer and let her see this post. Thanks for the good recommendations everyone! They've already have told me that I have high levels of stress, anxiety, mild depression, ect, ect, ect. Maybe this will convince Mom?

That epsom salt sounds nice! I love putting stuff like that in the tub, so, I'll absolutely try to get it.

No ice packs yet, but, that's where I'm heading to next.

It was at night, but, I was awake. It was around 11:45 pm went it started happening, after I took my meds fifteen minutes before. I was clearly awake and everything. Having surgery messed up my sleeping times all up.

Doin' pretty good today! The back pain's still there, but, not really bad or anything. I had my third post-op today. No scared tissue and no prodding up there! I was glad to come home pain-free :)

Once again, I really do think a lot about what everyone posts. :)

-Ash

lindalee Enthusiast
I tried talking to Mom about going to a chiropractor. That went nowhere <_< . I'm going to pull her up to the computer and let her see this post. Thanks for the good recommendations everyone! They've already have told me that I have high levels of stress, anxiety, mild depression, ect, ect, ect. Maybe this will convince Mom?

That epsom salt sounds nice! I love putting stuff like that in the tub, so, I'll absolutely try to get it.

No ice packs yet, but, that's where I'm heading to next.

It was at night, but, I was awake. It was around 11:45 pm went it started happening, after I took my meds fifteen minutes before. I was clearly awake and everything. Having surgery messed up my sleeping times all up.

Doin' pretty good today! The back pain's still there, but, not really bad or anything. I had my third post-op today. No scared tissue and no prodding up there! I was glad to come home pain-free :)

Once again, I really do think a lot about what everyone posts. :)

-Ash

Glad your better. Epson Salt is cheap. I get a big bag at costco. They even have it at the Dollar Store. LL

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm so glad you're feeling like you're getting better. I'd never heard of Epsom Salts for back pain. I'm gonna have to get a 20 lb sack of that myself. LOL! Epsom Salts were just always one of those things in an old box that I would see in my grandparents bathroom. I never knew what it was for. We all learn somethin' new every day huh?

Nancy

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I'm so glad you're feeling like you're getting better. I'd never heard of Epsom Salts for back pain. I'm gonna have to get a 20 lb sack of that myself. LOL! Epsom Salts were just always one of those things in an old box that I would see in my grandparents bathroom. I never knew what it was for. We all learn somethin' new every day huh?

Nancy

To make the epsom bath even nicer you can make it a scented salt very simply. You just need the salt, your favorite essential oil and a bit of food coloring, gluten-free of course. Put the salt in quart size glass jar. Then mix together just a bit of the food coloring and about 3 or 4 drops of the oil. Then just add the colored oil mix to the salt. When the color is even throughout the salt it's ready. I also sometimes just tie up a bunch of fresh lavender and some rosemary in some cheesecloth and let the water run through it to scent the salt water too. It sometimes amazes me how simple things can help us so much.

Nantzie Collaborator

Ooooo... That sounds sooooo goooood...

I'll definitely do that.

Nancy

lindalee Enthusiast
Glad your better. Epson Salt is cheap. I get a big bag at costco. They even have it at the Dollar Store. LL

Ash, Have you tried stretching? You know, like a cat does? I try to remember to do that before I get out of bed. I read that helps and it helped me. LLee

Archived