• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

In Need Of A gluten-free Laxative

30 posts in this topic

hiya. just wanted to add the best easy/natural treatments are figs, prunes and the best cure - 2 glasses of apple juice a day. just in case things go the other way, cinnamon is a good cure for diarrheoa. hope that helps x x :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hey,

I had horrible c problems which I thought nothing could help. But, I found something called Oxy-Powder that has been a huge help. I bet you can find it if you google it. They do recommend using it to do a thorough cleanse first though, which is no fun to go through, but worth it in my opinion. Gets rid of all those toxins,

Sara

what kind of Magnisuem tablets powder ????

After going gluten-free 4 years ago, my years of explosive diahrea are over but now am experiencing constant constipation. It seems like I can only go every 2-3 days. I know the answer is fiber and I must not be getting enough in my diet so am looking for a laxative that is gluten-free and will not cause explosions! I drink lots of water so that is not the problem.... Any help out there for a laxative that is gentle and will work.... I sound like some kind of a commercial!!!

Hi Sparkles. Sounds like you need to start a priobiotic. I take Align and its done wonders to the overall intensity of the symptoms. You still get them but they are now manageable. Ive tried knock offs because honestly Align is not Cheap, but always seem to go back to it as the others just dont manage the symptoms as well. Good luck!

Hi Sparkles. Sounds like you need to start a priobiotic. I take Align and its done wonders to the overall intensity of the symptoms. You still get them but they are now manageable. Ive tried knock offs because honestly Align is not Cheap, but always seem to go back to it as the others just dont manage the symptoms as well. Good luck!

You know you are responding to someone who asked this question in 2006? Very few people are still around the forum after 7 years

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    sebastianany

•  

• Topics

• Back in 2009, I came to the conclusion that I have a gluten issue.  I eat it, I have major diarrhea.  I get away with cheating from time to time.  There are some things that trigger it far worse than others, like beer and bread.  For the most part, I just eat gluten free stuff, and I know what to look for on labels.  All labels.  I feel like despite the fact that I pretty much eat gluten free, that I've been having more problems than usual lately, which means maybe I should not cheat anymore.  But, I decided to ask my primary physician about it, and he sent me to a gastroenterologist in the same office building as him. 

My initial visit went something like this.  I told her that I have diarrhea issues when I cheat eating gluten.  So I want to know if I'm full blown Celiac or just gluten intolerant.  Her response was that it made no difference.  I would just have to stop eating gluten.  In my mind's eye it makes a ton of difference!!!!  Celiac means I'm destroying my intestines if I cheat!  Intolerance means I'm just causing myself trouble if I cheat.  Her next comment to me was that because I was choosing vegetables over bread and pasta, that was too much roughage and that was causing my diarrhea.  She never asked me if I was eating whole grain rice or rice noodles, or quinoa. 

~blink~ 

So let me get this straight.  Every doctor I've ever spoken to says to eat more fresh fruits and veggies.  I need the extra iron from all those greens, etc., etc., etc. 

I am not new to this rodeo.  I didn't just fall off a turnip truck.  I told her I wanted to be blood tested, which I'd never done before because I knew  I'd have to eat gluten for a month before the test, and that might mean staying very close to a bathroom for a month.  She had this superiority complex  attitude like I wouldn't want to do that, I guess because she thought I'd jumped on some gluten free band wagon.  I am not gluten free because it is fun.  I like gluten.  I adore gluten.  I worship gluten.  It's not fun being gluten free!  I think when I told her I was in, she was surprised.  I want to put this puppy to rest! 

Now I am one month later, and I made sure to eat gluten every day.  I gained six pounds despite having diarrhea and loose stools.  Fun.  Just peachy.  Seriously, Doc, I subjected myself to this because I'm a hypochondriac.

I am never going back to gluten.  It was an interesting adventure, but no bueno.  I go to see this doctor on July 3.  I don't know what the blood tests will show.  But, I'm really not liking this doctor.  She was too condescending.  If she comes back saying the blood test didn't come back positive for Celiac or gluten intolerance, do I seek a new doctor? 

What annoys me is that I've had female issues that other doctors ignored.  I kept going from doctor to doctor until one finally listened and that was the end of that problem.  Why do we have to go from doctor to doctor?
    • Hi Michelle and welcome I'm guessing you're like me and from the UK? Which means that sadly much of Tessa's list won't be accessible, but don't worry there's plenty to eat here too. I'll go ahead and reply as if your a Brit, if not ignore me Be careful not to scare yourself by doing this. There are a lot of sites that sensationalise or try to scare you into buying their products. You've found a good site here, make use of it, but don't be afraid to turn the web off if its all getting a bit much.  One site you should go to and join is Coeliacs UK. They will send you a book with all the brands you can trust and this will be worth its weight in gold. You can also access it online. Highly recommended.  As above. Go and have a great time. The diet can start on your return. One final thing. It can get overwhelming in the first few months and it's a massive shock, at times you will feel sad and maybe resentful, you will go through a bit of a grief process in other words, but it will get better as you learn the ropes and you will feel so much better once you're on the diet.  As you learn try to let others around you know so that they understand and you don't feel too isolated. Use this site too, there's lots of help and understanding available here Best of luck and enjoy Turkey!    
    • celiac disease typically screws up your whole autoimmune system. in my case, it took several years to identify all of the intolerances. there are different responses to different substances... you may have one or several of them depending on the substance. Mine include nausea, abdominal pain, lethargy, brain fog, cramping, muscle tightness (resulting in joint pain), muscle spasm, creepy crawly skin, skin dryness leading to lesions/ psoriasis, diarrhea, constipation, sudden weight gain/loss of 2-3 lbs per day.   the frustrating part is/was that the more I stayed away from gluten and other offenders, the better/stronger i felt but then i would discover another substance that had been hiding but now was brought to the forefront since the maybe-more-offending irritant was now gone. this went on for a couple years.  i now have a huge list of offenders and very few acceptable foods, but I keep reading and experimenting hoping for a more varied and healthier diet.   i refer to myself as a human test subject because essentially you have to try something in order to gauge its effect.
    • Enjoy your trip and worry about the diet until after you get back unless you are having severe symptoms.  Then follow Ennis' advice about gluten-free restaurant cards in various languages.  Lots of us have traveled successfully.  You just need to prepare a bit more.   In the meantime, savor your gluten-filled food until your endoscopy.  My advice (anemia was my only symptom)?  Do not over do it.  I pigged out.  By the end of seven weeks (I had lots of work issues that prevented an earlier endoscopy), my gut was hurting.  
    • Yes- her sister has actually been genetically tested through Prometheus labs about 5-6 years ago by a gastric when she was having lots of stomach issues. She had recently been diagnosed with the Hashimoto's and was having recurring bouts of constipation/diarrhea.  i think that is another reason why I kind of thought that my other daughters problems were not celiac. Their father and I do not have any known autoimmune so we should probably be tested at some point. 
  • Upcoming Events