Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Celiac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Milk Alternative

11 posts in this topic

OK, my last two options locally for dairy/gluten free milk were: West Soy plain rice milk and Pacific Foods hazlenut milk are now OUT. They make me sick and everything else locally has soy or vanilla in them.

Any suggestions? My local store does not carry Pacific Foods Plain Rice milk - OH - I have some of Vance's but haven't made it yet so really, I have one more to try - but if that doesn't work, then what.

I am not worried about baking, I will just use water instead which I tried last night with my chebe bread and it didn't make me sick, yea!, I don't have to give up my bread. However, what can you suggest I use on cereals I eat occasionally to give hubby a break from making eggs every day.

Ads by Google:
OH - I have some of Vance's but haven't made it yet so really, I have one more to try - but if that doesn't work, then what.

Nothing! Vance's is the bestest! :D

Here is a recipe I found online. The recipes I have in cookbooks includes cashews.

Rice Milk Recipe

Submitted to the Allergies Forum by MANGO333

1 cup hot, cooked rice (white or brown)

4 cups hot water

Pinch of salt (optional)

Sweetener to taste (if desired)

Vanilla to taste (if desired)

Put in blender (in batches if necessary). Process until creamy. Strain. Discard solids.

Store rice milk in jar in fridge. Shake before using. Keeps 3 - 4 days.

I personally didn't do well with the Vance's and got a headache after drinking it. :(

Cool - thanks and should be a nice alternative to Vance's if I end up with problems to that too.

I used to make my own soy milk before I realized that I can't have soy.

I have to agree with Vincent--Vance's is really good. It has a consistancy closer to real milk. I'm very sensitive, and react terribly to rice and soy milks. I can use almond milk, but the flavor is a little too strong for use in many things. Vance's adapts well to any situation--try it :D

Ads by Google:

I have to agree with Vincent--Vance's is really good. It has a consistancy closer to real milk. I'm very sensitive, and react terribly to rice and soy milks. I can use almond milk, but the flavor is a little too strong for use in many things. Vance's adapts well to any situation--try it :D

Patti :lol:

You just peeked my interest in trying Vance's. Knowing you are also a super sensitive and you do fine with it, I might give it a try.

Patti :lol:

You just peeked my interest in trying Vance's. Knowing you are also a super sensitive and you do fine with it, I might give it a try.

Julie--Yes, give it a try! I use it in recipes like scalloped and mashed potatoes, to make ice cream, cocoa, and dry as a creamer in my tea! I buy it 3 cartons at a time, and it lasts quite a while. (It comes dry and you reconstitute it with water). I sound like a commercial for them sometimes, but it really did fill a void for me in terms of what I can eat. If you haven't seen it, here is a link--

http://www.vances.com/index.asp?PageAction...odID=6&HS=1

How've you been? :)

You can also make your own nut milks. Tons of recipes on the web.

Julie--Yes, give it a try! I use it in recipes like scalloped and mashed potatoes, to make ice cream, cocoa, and dry as a creamer in my tea! I buy it 3 cartons at a time, and it lasts quite a while. (It comes dry and you reconstitute it with water). I sound like a commercial for them sometimes, but it really did fill a void for me in terms of what I can eat. If you haven't seen it, here is a link--

http://www.vances.com/index.asp?PageAction...odID=6&HS=1

How've you been? :)

Thanks so much for this link!

I've used coconut milk for cereal and baking and it works well. YOu have to like the taste of coconut, though, which I do. I usually water it down because often the canned coconut milk is a bit too thick for my taste.

Also, I've used fruit juice on my cereal before. It's really pretty good this way. Certainly different.

Thanks for all these great suggestions - I have been afraid to try my vance's because I am so sensitive. Thanks!!!! And if that doesn't work, I can make my own rice (I don't really have too many nuts left so I think we will stay away from those for now).

I am not a big fan of coconut but I wasn't a big fan of soymilk when I started with that either - it may just take me some time to adjust if it gets that far!