This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk Alternative

kabowman

kabowman Explorer

OK, my last two options locally for dairy/gluten free milk were: West Soy plain rice milk and Pacific Foods hazlenut milk are now OUT. They make me sick and everything else locally has soy or vanilla in them.

Any suggestions? My local store does not carry Pacific Foods Plain Rice milk - OH - I have some of Vance's but haven't made it yet so really, I have one more to try - but if that doesn't work, then what.

I am not worried about baking, I will just use water instead which I tried last night with my chebe bread and it didn't make me sick, yea!, I don't have to give up my bread. However, what can you suggest I use on cereals I eat occasionally to give hubby a break from making eggs every day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
OH - I have some of Vance's but haven't made it yet so really, I have one more to try - but if that doesn't work, then what.

Nothing! Vance's is the bestest! :D

AndreaB Contributor

Here is a recipe I found online. The recipes I have in cookbooks includes cashews.

Rice Milk Recipe

Submitted to the Allergies Forum by MANGO333

1 cup hot, cooked rice (white or brown)

4 cups hot water

Pinch of salt (optional)

Sweetener to taste (if desired)

Vanilla to taste (if desired)

Put in blender (in batches if necessary). Process until creamy. Strain. Discard solids.

Store rice milk in jar in fridge. Shake before using. Keeps 3 - 4 days.

I personally didn't do well with the Vance's and got a headache after drinking it. :(

kabowman Explorer

Cool - thanks and should be a nice alternative to Vance's if I end up with problems to that too.

I used to make my own soy milk before I realized that I can't have soy.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have to agree with Vincent--Vance's is really good. It has a consistancy closer to real milk. I'm very sensitive, and react terribly to rice and soy milks. I can use almond milk, but the flavor is a little too strong for use in many things. Vance's adapts well to any situation--try it :D

Green12 Enthusiast
I have to agree with Vincent--Vance's is really good. It has a consistancy closer to real milk. I'm very sensitive, and react terribly to rice and soy milks. I can use almond milk, but the flavor is a little too strong for use in many things. Vance's adapts well to any situation--try it :D

Patti :lol:

You just peeked my interest in trying Vance's. Knowing you are also a super sensitive and you do fine with it, I might give it a try.

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti :lol:

You just peeked my interest in trying Vance's. Knowing you are also a super sensitive and you do fine with it, I might give it a try.

Julie--Yes, give it a try! I use it in recipes like scalloped and mashed potatoes, to make ice cream, cocoa, and dry as a creamer in my tea! I buy it 3 cartons at a time, and it lasts quite a while. (It comes dry and you reconstitute it with water). I sound like a commercial for them sometimes, but it really did fill a void for me in terms of what I can eat. If you haven't seen it, here is a link--

Open Original Shared Link

How've you been? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

You can also make your own nut milks. Tons of recipes on the web.

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie--Yes, give it a try! I use it in recipes like scalloped and mashed potatoes, to make ice cream, cocoa, and dry as a creamer in my tea! I buy it 3 cartons at a time, and it lasts quite a while. (It comes dry and you reconstitute it with water). I sound like a commercial for them sometimes, but it really did fill a void for me in terms of what I can eat. If you haven't seen it, here is a link--

Open Original Shared Link

How've you been? :)

Thanks so much for this link!

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I've used coconut milk for cereal and baking and it works well. YOu have to like the taste of coconut, though, which I do. I usually water it down because often the canned coconut milk is a bit too thick for my taste.

Also, I've used fruit juice on my cereal before. It's really pretty good this way. Certainly different.

kabowman Explorer

Thanks for all these great suggestions - I have been afraid to try my vance's because I am so sensitive. Thanks!!!! And if that doesn't work, I can make my own rice (I don't really have too many nuts left so I think we will stay away from those for now).

I am not a big fan of coconut but I wasn't a big fan of soymilk when I started with that either - it may just take me some time to adjust if it gets that far!

Archived