This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Turmeric Powder

tammy

tammy Community Regular

Perhaps you will have a positive experience too! I take 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder and mix it in a glass of water twice a day. ;) (The taste is bitter but oh well) My bowel movements have increased dramatically. In addition, turmeric is said to have the following properties:anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antibiotic, inhibits platelet aggregation and lowers cholesterol.

Sounds great to me! :D

I would love to hear your positive experiences with Turmeric. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

I'm pretty sure that turmeric is responsible for my cholesterol going down. I was tested at having cholesterol of 237, then 240 (6 months later), then 240 again (2 months later - my doc put me on a statin, but I only took it for two days before quitting because of intolerable side effects), and then 200 (6 months later). The first reading was in the spring - my doc said since it was spring, it would likely go down after an active summer. It didn't, so he wanted me back two months later. During that time I took supplements, exercised some (ok, not a ton, but some more than before) and worked on my diet. The only thing that changed was my ratio, which got better (my HDL went from 43 to 57 in two months). Then, he put me on the statin Advacor (sp?) and I tried it two days and said no way. BUT 6 weeks before my final test, I started a supplement called Stone Free which has a high amount of turmeric in it and I took it three times a day (for liver health, also kidney health) and then I got tested. My doc couldn't believe it and said he was not concerned about my cholesterol anymore.

I take turmeric-only supplements now because since going gluten free (which happened about 6 months after the last cholesterol test and I haven't had that test done again) because Stone Free doesn't agree with me anymore. I don't know if it's because there's hidden gluten or what - the company can't confirm either way. But, during my brief stint seeing a rheumatologist, he was VERY impressed I was taking turmeric (he's east Indian) and told me he would like to do studies because in India, people eat a lot of turmeric and have lower autoimmune disease than in the US. Also, it's being highly researched for people with cancer and cystic fibrosis, as well.

I think it's good stuff. I don't think I'd enjoy drinking it every day, but there are many brands of capsules out there to take if you prefer. The ideal dose is 800mg a day at this point, according to my rheumy.

Cool thread! I hope others reply...

Stephanie

Guest nini

my husband just started taking Tumeric capsules for his arthritis and says that it really works!

tammy Community Regular

I'm loving the positive results!!!!!!!! :D

Archived