This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn And Rice Gluten

coldandhardy

coldandhardy Newbie

I am of the understanding that corn and rice are OK for Celiac. Then one day I was looking at the Chicago comodity exchange and saw "CORN GLUTEN" being sold on the futures market. Rice also contains gluten.

I thought they must be different forms of gluten but a chemist whith ADM (Archer's Daniel's Middlen) which is a company that specializes in corn and the like told me that he seriously doubted that there was any difference between corn gluten and wheat gluten. Does anyone know more about such?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
I am of the understanding that corn and rice are OK for Celiac. Then one day I was looking at the Chicago comodity exchange and saw "CORN GLUTEN" being sold on the futures market. Rice also contains gluten.

I thought they must be different forms of gluten but a chemist whith ADM (Archer's Daniel's Middlen) which is a company that specializes in corn and the like told me that he seriously doubted that there was any difference between corn gluten and wheat gluten. Does anyone know more about such?

gluten is a generic term that refers to the main protein in a grain. but we use it very specifically (on this forum and in other places) to refer to the protein in wheat, barley, rye, and oats. the term is overused, and in cases like this, it gets confusing. corn gluten and rice gluten just means the protein from corn and rice, and it is safe for celiacs.

(an analogy - someone can ask you for a kleenex, but they don't really care if it's a kleenex brand tissue paper. the term has been misappropriated. this is a very similar case.)

coldandhardy Newbie
gluten is a generic term that refers to the main protein in a grain. but we use it very specifically (on this forum and in other places) to refer to the protein in wheat, barley, rye, and oats. the term is overused, and in cases like this, it gets confusing. corn gluten and rice gluten just means the protein from corn and rice, and it is safe for celiacs.

(an analogy - someone can ask you for a kleenex, but they don't really care if it's a kleenex brand tissue paper. the term has been misappropriated. this is a very similar case.)

I think the labeling guys got it wrong generally too. Often they say a product is gluten free yet it often contains rice and corn products in it.

queenofhearts Explorer

I'm really surprised that the ADM chemist wouldn't be aware of the differences between the grain proteins-- I thought it was pretty basic. My sister's girlfriend who studied Food Science was well aware of the different structures & she was still in school. I guess that's why you can't always trust the "experts"!

Leah

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

My dh isn't here right now, but he's a chemist, and he said something about it a while ago to me. (I hope I got this right!) I think he said that the amino acid structure in wheat, barley, and rye glutens are very closely related (oats, too, hence the difficulty many of us have with them). Corn and rice glutens do NOT have amino acid structures that are similar to wheat's.

I'll ask hm when he gets home tonight and check back here.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Corn and rice gluten are fine. All grains I believe actually contain gluten but the structures are different and the only ones we can't have are wheat, rye, barley, and oats.

Archived