This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pf Changs

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

So im planning on trying pf changs for the first time since my DX. Im a little nervous cause of all the other gluten food there. But Im willing to try at least.

Just curious what everyone else got when they ordered there....and any advice or anything I should remember when eating there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've, by now, had everything off their menu. I recommend the lettuce wraps, of course, as well as the chang's chicken, and the garlic snap peas. The fish is also quite tasty, as is the lemon chicken or the ginger chicken with broccoli. The singapore noodles are good, but you get a lot! Oh, and they have a chocolate dome for dessert that's gluten-free (though not on all the menus yet) that's also quite good.

megzmc3611 Rookie

Everything is good there! I have eaten there several times successfully but have gotten sick a few times. What time are you going? The place is very very busy for dinner and I might suggest going at an off time to avoid confusion in the kitchen! Whenever I go, there is a different server that brings out the food (as in not the waiter who I placed the order with). This always makes me nervous, because I repeat to the server "this is gluten free right" and they usually nod their heads but I am not 100% convinced they are sure! I might ask your waiter to bring out your dish..that it would make you feel more comfortable? Just a thought...

Also, the less gluten-meals served at the table the less chance for confusion. Perhaps whomever you go w/ could order gluten-free as well? I use to eat there pre-diagnosis and the gluten-free items are very comparable in taste to the gluten-filled items (especially the lettuce wraps)!

Good luck...

Moongirl Community Regular
Everything is good there! I have eaten there several times successfully but have gotten sick a few times. What time are you going? The place is very very busy for dinner and I might suggest going at an off time to avoid confusion in the kitchen! Whenever I go, there is a different server that brings out the food (as in not the waiter who I placed the order with). This always makes me nervous, because I repeat to the server "this is gluten free right" and they usually nod their heads but I am not 100% convinced they are sure! I might ask your waiter to bring out your dish..that it would make you feel more comfortable? Just a thought...

Also, the less gluten-meals served at the table the less chance for confusion. Perhaps whomever you go w/ could order gluten-free as well? I use to eat there pre-diagnosis and the gluten-free items are very comparable in taste to the gluten-filled items (especially the lettuce wraps)!

Good luck...

hmm thats good advice about the server/waiter....i will look into that.

so i take it you have been to the one in boston. Thats where i go to all the time, well used. And i loved their food. the lettuce wraps themselves used to fill me up! i think the chocolate cake something desert is on the menu now. Do they have the menu in the restaurants as well?

jkmunchkin Rising Star

My favorite is the Ginger Chicken and the Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps. Everytime I go I tell myself I should try something else but those are just so darn good :)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

1. Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps --- be careful with this dish because it is easily mixes up with the regular lettuce wraps. Whenever I order it, I have them put the rice noodles on the side (that way they know which one is mine)

2. Chang's chicken -- its great, but inconsistently spicy -- I wish it was spicy all the time, but sometimes the spice sorta falls on its face

3. Sauteed Spinace, String-peas or Cucumbers are all excellent (make sure they use gluten free soy sauce)

4. The Singapore noodles are also a nice change of pace (I usually make them add shrimp to it)

I think I just mirrored Tarnalberry's reply...

steveindenver Contributor

I've had the Ginger Chicken with Brocolli. Sauce-wise, it wasn't as good as the regular one (I should have asked them to thicken it with cornstarch.) I've also had their Szechuan Chicken Chow Fun made with Rice Noodles (not on the gluten-free menu, but you can ask for it). And their Chang's Spicy Chicken is fantastic (that's my new favorite).

Side note - they're really good it seems at the gluten-free service. My first weekend of going gluten-free, my partner and I were having a "farewell to gluten" night. We had planned takeout Chinese (my favorite) and then were going to finsh off the last of our wedding cupcakes (my farewell!). The hostess at PF Changs was great. When I told her the sauce in the Ginger Chicken seemed weak, and I will miss the Chicken Chow Fun, she said, "Oh we can make that gluten-free". She took the Ginger Chicken back and had them make up the other dish for me ASAP. I practically cried on her as she was so nice. I explained my whole situation (being diagnosed, giving up gluten, this is my first time out to dinner, etc.) and she was so helpful. When I went in a week later, she remembered me too just by looking at me. I guess a 37 year old guy practically crying over Chinese food will make that memory. :-) If only others in the restaurant industry where as helpful to Celiacs as she was.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Krristabelle

I loooooooove the lettuce wraps. They are amazing.

tiffjake Enthusiast
I loooooooove the lettuce wraps. They are amazing.

Me too, and there is a chicken dish, can't remember what it is called, that is "dusted" with corn starch, so it looks like fried chicken, and it is a little spicy, and served with rice. I have had nearly everything on the menu, and I like this the best, because it is close to "regular" food, with the fried-looking-chicken!

Rice Cakes Newbie
My favorite is the Ginger Chicken and the Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps. Everytime I go I tell myself I should try something else but those are just so darn good :)

I've been there once and had those two, and liked them.

jenvan Collaborator

Lettuce wraps, definitely, and the Singapore Street Noodles--yum.

4getgluten Rookie

I was just there two nights ago. I had the gluten-free lettuce wraps and the Cantonese shrimp w/ snow peas. It was delish.

AussieJade Rookie

Hey Guys!

Is there any PF CHANGS in New York city?? Or only state

Open Original Shared Link

Sorry I am totally clueless when it comes to this :P

If its ony state - would it be easy to get there by public transport?

Thanx for ur help :D

CarlaB Enthusiast

I love the salmon with s$#&ake mushrooms and asparagus (can't remember what they call it, but it's not the salad). I also like the lettuce wraps.

wozzy Apprentice

Also, if you're worried about them messing up your order, the Changs spicy chicken is gluten-free anyway.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Hey Guys!

Unfortunately there isn't one in the city. (there are Outbacks in the the city though if you want that chain).

The easiest PF Chang's for you to get to would be White Plains. You would have to take the train to White Plains and then take a cab from the train station (there are usually always cabs just waiting there). PF Chang's is located in the Westchester Mall so you could just telll the driver to go to the Westchester. I'm sure the concierge in the mall could help you get a cab back.

• 2 weeks later...
AussieJade Rookie
Unfortunately there isn't one in the city. (there are Outbacks in the the city though if you want that chain).

The easiest PF Chang's for you to get to would be White Plains. You would have to take the train to White Plains and then take a cab from the train station (there are usually always cabs just waiting there). PF Chang's is located in the Westchester Mall so you could just telll the driver to go to the Westchester. I'm sure the concierge in the mall could help you get a cab back.

THANX JILLIAN :D :D :D :D (what would I do without u heheh :P)

megzmc3611 Rookie
hmm thats good advice about the server/waiter....i will look into that.

so i take it you have been to the one in boston. Thats where i go to all the time, well used. And i loved their food. the lettuce wraps themselves used to fill me up! i think the chocolate cake something desert is on the menu now. Do they have the menu in the restaurants as well?

Yes, have been to the Boston one numerous times. They have the menu in the restaurant as well and the waitors seem pretty knowledgible about the gluten-free menu. I have even sat at the bar and had success ordering dinner there (the bartender enters your order on a computer and you can see that they enter it as a "gluten free" order!) Are you going sometime soon?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greengirl

We went to PF Changs in Minneapolis a couple nights ago. My daughter and I ordered from the gluten free menu, but I didn't feel very confident in the server. She didn't seem to know anything about gluten free. I should have asked more questions and been more persistent, but I didn't want to make a scene in front of the people we were with and I figured that since they had a gluten free menu they would probably know what they were doing.

My daughter and I each ordered the gluten free lettuce wraps, but only I ended up getting sick. The only thing I ate that she didn't was the brown rice and the gluten free soy sauce which the waitress brought separately (and a cup of coffee made in the hotel in-room coffee pot.) I know some of you have said that the rice is okay but do they bring separate rice for a gluten free meal? We just had 2 bowls of rice for the whole table (the spoons stayed in the rice bowl so I don't think it was contaminated that way).

Any thoughts? I'd like to figure out what went wrong so I can fix it for next time!

Christine

megzmc3611 Rookie

Christine,

I personally choose to stay away from the brown rice. From what I have been told, the kitchen is set up so that all the gluten-free orders are prepared in a separate area. As the brown rice is just considered gluten-free by nature and served to everyone at the table, I am not sure it is prepared in a dedicated and safe area (who knows if it is cooked in a pan that has not been thorougly cleaned, etc). This is just my own personal feeling about the rice..I have no idea how it is prepared in the kitchen. That could be something to ask about if you go again though...

GFNC Newbie

One way to tell the difference between the gluten free and regular lettuce wraps is the color. The gluten free lettuc wraps are much lighter in color than the regular lettuce wraps. Once you get used to recognizing this difference, you will feel comfortable knowing you are receiving the gluten free lettuce wraps. We eat there all the time and enjoy it.

lonewolf Collaborator

Please pardon the ignorant question. I haven't had Chinese food in 10 years and this thread is making me hungry. Are any of their dishes also soy free? I know this is a stretch, since all Asian food is usually full of soy sauce.

jenvan Collaborator
Christine,

I personally choose to stay away from the brown rice. From what I have been told, the kitchen is set up so that all the gluten-free orders are prepared in a separate area. As the brown rice is just considered gluten-free by nature and served to everyone at the table, I am not sure it is prepared in a dedicated and safe area (who knows if it is cooked in a pan that has not been thorougly cleaned, etc). This is just my own personal feeling about the rice..I have no idea how it is prepared in the kitchen. That could be something to ask about if you go again though...

Hmmm, a good friend works at changs, I'll have to ck with him. I would assume each rice is made a container pretty much dedicated for rice only, and that it would be pretty safe. I'll ask him...

DavidB Apprentice

PF Changes is great however my local Chinese restaurant makes me steamed chicken and vegetables with no sauce for a fraction of the cost of PF Changes. I bring my own gluten-free soy sauce - Ask your local Chinese restaurant.

So im planning on trying pf changs for the first time since my DX. Im a little nervous cause of all the other gluten food there. But Im willing to try at least.

Just curious what everyone else got when they ordered there....and any advice or anything I should remember when eating there.

debbiewil Rookie

Actually, you could reach the one in Westbury by public transit also. You could take the Long Island Rail Road out to Westbury and either walk (longish) or take bus to the restaurant. I don't know exactly where on Old Country Road the restaurant is (I lived in Westbury a loooong time ago) but I used to live a block from the train station, and I'd walk down or take the bus to places on Old Country Road all the time. I'm not familiar with current bus routes, so you'd have to check on that. Also, there used to be a bus you could catch at the Mineola train station that went right down Old Country Road. So it is doable, but you'd have to check on the bus routes.

Debbie

Hey Guys!

Archived