This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To The Dentist

judy04

judy04 Rookie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board. I have an allergy to wheat. I've been

gluten free since Nov 03. I have a dental appt coming up and I am wondering

about gluten-free fillings. Are the gluten-free materials readily avalable and are the dentist familiar

with these conditions? I tried to get the receptionist to ask the Dr.,but she said

I would have to talk it over with the dentist. I don't want this to be a wasted trip

in case these materials might have to be ordered. The last time I was at the dentist I came home with "brain fog" which lasted almost all day, so I know I have a problem in this area. I know gluten-free materials for dental care exist because I read about it in the Clan Thomson reference book. Has anyone else had experienced this? Thanks in advance for your help....Judy :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer
The last time I was at the dentist I came home with "brain fog" which lasted almost all day

YES!!! My last dentist visit (for a routine cleaning, not repair work) was before I went totally gluten-free, but I had been wheat-free for several months. After I got home, I CRASHED so hard, I thought I had been mercury-poisoned or something! I couldn't wake up fully (seriously, I was walking into walls all day long) for the next three days or so! A friend of mine said that a lot of bacteria get pushed into the bloodstream during tooth cleaning, and that might have had something to do with it, but now I think I was reacting to gluten in the tooth polish and other dental substances that were used. Next time I schedule an appointment, I will be sure to DEMAND gluten-free tooth polish, etc.--and if they can't supply any, I won't let them polish my teeth! I hadn't even considered the question of filling materials--I hope they're gluten-free!

Good luck getting a timely--and straight--answer from your dentist. Let us know what you find out!

shanmac Rookie

Wow- I've been gluten free for more than 5 months and I thought that I was so careful and had thought of everything that might contain gluten- but the dentist didn't even occur to me. Thanks for bringing this topic into discussion!

• 3 weeks later...
judy04 Rookie

Hi everyone! I went to the dentist, had my filling redone, had my teeth cleaned

and polished, and came out with no brain fog. My dentist had never heard of Celiac's [duh!!!] but his partner's child has it so she told him which materials to

use, so now he is aware of the disease and I plan to enlighten more on my next

visit with printouts. Thanks for listening....Judy

Judy, that's great! How serendipitous that your dentist's partner is personally familiar with celiac disease! It must be a relief to have someone who can advocate for you at the dentist's office. I'm glad you had a positive experience, and I hope you are doing well!

• 1 month later...
cvogel Newbie

Looking for a Celiac tolerant Dentist in Manhattan Upper west side, preferably 60th to 90th streets, amsterdam ave vicinity. Will consider any in Manhattan.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I went to the dentist last week and while I called about it, they didn't think there would be a problem, and I had no trouble from the cleaning or x-rays. Could just be my dentist, I don't know...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gbeauvais Newbie

I never have the hygenist polish my teeth because it bothers my gums, but I hadn't even thought about the polish containing gluten. Are there products that the dentist would use in doing fillings or other work that I need to watch out for? How can I find out exactly which products to talk to him about? Thanks

Gerri in SF

I don't know about amalgam materials or cement or things like that, but I would check on "natural flavorings" in the tooth polish and dental floss. I seem to remember vaguely that mint-flavored floss may not be gluten-free, and so I wonder if the same would be true of mint-flavored tooth polish. I'm not a big fan of artificial fruit flavors, so I think I requested the mint flavor last time, when I got so foggy-headed afterward. It's something I'll definitely look into before my next visit!

tammy Community Regular

I went to the dentist for a cleaning and the polish did give me brain fog. The good news is many of the Aquafresh products are gluten-free! I use the one for sensitive teeth. Also, Jason makes a toothpaste with Co-Q10 and I haven't had a problem. I don't know if it is gluten-free. Jason's brand is known for health conscience.

I would love to hear from you...

judy04 Rookie

Hi,

I found the info on dental materials in the small guides sold by Clan

Thompson. One is for gluten-free prescription meds, the other for gluten-free over-

the-counter meds, the other is a gluten free food list. they only

cost about $4.95 ea, and are helpful to keep in your purse.

They also have a database on gluten-free restaurants, food,medicine

drugs, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
murda Apprentice

Judy04 -

Where do you get those Clan Thompson books? They sound like something I would be interested in carrying around.

Thanks

MURDA

dkmb Newbie

The gloves dentists wear are often powdered. That powder usually has gluten in it and this may be the source of your reaction after your visit. You can ask them to use gloves that don't have powder or see if you can provide your own. Hope this helps.

DK

judy04 Rookie

Murda,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, we are moving to PA soon and we were up there

working on the house. If you go to clanthompson.com and click on celiac's

I think you can order them. They also have a large database with a

lot more information to download. I haven't done that yet but I plan to.

Hope this helps...

Archived