• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gin Seagrams Tanqueray Tonic

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

It's so HOT right now in Massachusetts...and guess what drink I'm going crazy for?

GIN AND TONIC !!!!!!!

I found a few posts but I'm still not to confident wondering if Seagrams or Tanqueray (spelling?) Gin is okay for us celiacs? Are there any other quality gins that you have proven successful??

Also, what type of tonics are okay for us? Scwepps?

Any thoughts everyone??

thanks so much

J

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

My understanding is that distilled alcohol is gluten-free unless they add sour mash back into it, but I don't think that would be the case for gin. You can double check at the manufacturer's website if you want to be sure. I haven't been brave enough personally to try grain alcohol -- the fact that it's made from something that makes me so sick psyches me out, but I know others around here drink them.

I'd read the label of the tonic.

Gin is made from juniper berries, not grain, so there is no reason for it not to be gluten-free :)

Gin is made from juniper berries, not grain, so there is no reason for it not to be gluten-free :)

didn't know that ... don't like gin ...

Actually Gin is made from grains...its is flavored with juniper berries..

"Gin is a flavoured white spirit made by distilling grains such as barley, corn or rye. It's flavored using Juniper berries, coriander, angelica, herbs and spices and a variety of other natural ingredients which are added to the grain mash during distillation. " drinksmixer.com

"Gin, alcoholic liquor, distilled from grain, and deriving its flavor principally from an infusion of juniper berries " encarta.msn.com

I also got this email from Bombay Gin...

Thank you for your inquiry. As per your request, please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the gin does derive from grain, corn, wheat, and rye. Therefore, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE and BOMBAY ORIGINAL Gins may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown. If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued patronage.

Best Regards,

Consumer Services

The Bombay Spirits Company U.S.A.

Ads by Google:

Actually Gin is made from grains...its is flavored with juniper berries..

"Gin is a flavoured white spirit made by distilling grains such as barley, corn or rye. It's flavored using Juniper berries, coriander, angelica, herbs and spices and a variety of other natural ingredients which are added to the grain mash during distillation. " drinksmixer.com

"Gin, alcoholic liquor, distilled from grain, and deriving its flavor principally from an infusion of juniper berries " encarta.msn.com

I also got this email from Bombay Gin...

Thank you for your inquiry. As per your request, please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the gin does derive from grain, corn, wheat, and rye. Therefore, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE and BOMBAY ORIGINAL Gins may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown. If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued patronage.

Best Regards,

Consumer Services

The Bombay Spirits Company U.S.A.

Now I'm all depressed and Confused!!

I always thought SOME Gins were Okay?? Now I have doubts!

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Distilled alcohol is OK regarless of grain, unless they add mash back in. Some people still react to them, but it's generally thought that it's not a gluten problem in those individuals.

I stick to clear liquors, and I've been fine. Yes, that includes gin. :)

Tanguerey gin is safe. I contacted the company about a year ago and the gin is safe. Could not go a summer without my gin and tonic. Enjoy!

Hez

Now I'm all depressed and Confused!!

I always thought SOME Gins were Okay?? Now I have doubts!

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!!

You could call the company to ask if it is distilled from corn. I have a definate gluten reaction from distilled gluten containing grains, not everyone does, but since the symptoms and the DH are exactly the same as if I ate a slice of bread I know for me it is gluten and not just some 'mystery' reaction from something else. There are many levels of severity and differences in presentation in celiacs so what makes one person react strongly might be barely noticable in another. In the end the true determining factor for distilled gluten grains is your personal reaction to them.

I just called Tanqueray about their London dry gin and it does contain wheat in the ingredients. I called because I wasn't sure if it contained corn and it doesn't contain corn. Kinda disappointed since I thought it was okay since I read the above posts thinking it was wheat free.

this thread is pretty old (last post 2006), so, manufacturers change their ingredients from time to time  - it always pays to check  :)  and read all the labels.

I drink gin and tonic frequently (Hey, Mississippi is in the humid sub-tropics. We need it) Never have reacted to any gin or tonic. Granted I am not a "super-sensitive" like some people, but I AM fairly sensitive. You should be safe with gin and tonic.

There are enough things we have to do without. I take advantage of the safe ones!