This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Better/feeling Sick

Niteyx13

Niteyx13 Explorer

Sunday will mark 3 weeks that I have attempted to be on a totally gluten free diet. I have found that I messed up at least 3 times. Once I had an ihop omelet (which I found out later has pancake batter in it), and other times I was eating shredded cheese, and I forgot and took communion without thinking (duh!). When I get to where I am really hungry I find I am not as careful as I should be. There is so much to learn with all this it gets frustrating! I have felt more sick on and off the past 3 weeks then I think before the diet. The day I went to ihop I felt sick that afternoon. Today I had a salad at a restaurant it had lettuce, tomato, and ranch, and I had very bad stomach pains afterwards. My mom says it's anxiety causing it, or that it is in my head. Is it even possible for me to have a reaction since I haven't been on gluten-free diet for a long time? Would I notice a difference? I am still exhausted constantly. When will I feel better? I am so emotional I can hardly stand it, cuz everytime I turn around there is something else I can't eat. :( I used to eat whatever whenever I wanted before...and I was a big time snacker. My husband is totally sick of it. This sucks!

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Deanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Three weeks isn't all that long - particularly if you're still making mistakes. (I don't recover from a mistake, fully (symptom wise), for a week!) Try not to be too hard on yourself. You're going to make mistakes like that in this gluten filled world, and it takes time to get into the habit of avoiding gluten.

You know that when you're hungry it's harder to make the best choices (and I'm with you on that one!), so prepare ahead of time - keep easy/fast snacks at home (apples and peanut butter, rice cakes, cheese, tuna, etc), and keep something gluten-free and portable in your purse (fruit leather, gluten-free bars, dried fruit and nuts, etc.)

Let your husband know that he needs your support - and if he needs some support, suggest that he post here - some of the people here have family members with celiac, and may be have useful advice for him.

Go easy on your body and get plenty of rest, and start getting some good exercise in as soon as you can (that can help with fatigue).

You'll get there!

dana-g Newbie

Deanna, Tiffany is so right, three weeks is such a short time! Cut yourself a BIG break! This is just about the most restrictive diet there is, and it takes some getting used to. Some things that helped me: Danna Korn's book, "Wheat Free, Worry Free"--get the bookstore to order it if they don't have it, it's fantastic! Also, this website:

Open Original Shared Link

It's 49 pages of gluten-free mainstream foods. Also, the site you're on now has a great list of gluten-free foods and forbidden foods. Click on the "site index" and it takes you to it. If you like to bake, Bette Hagman's cookbooks are great. Even if you're not much of a cook, her recipes are easy to follow and so good, you can't even tell they're gluten-free!

I would also avoid eating in restaurants for a while until you have this diet down pat. That goes for parties and stuff, too, as harsh as that sounds. Don't stop socialing, but your watchword is PREPARATION--eat before you go to the supermarket so you don't find yourself weeping in the cookie aisle; if you go to a party or other social gathering, either eat before you go, bring a little something to share, or talk to the hostess ahead of time. You simply cannot count on there being gluten-free food available for you! Anywhere! That's how gluten accidents occur, and how you end up sick and depressed, have a fight with your hubby, etc., etc., I know, I've been there too many times myself! For the immediate future, your diet is your priority, because celiac disease is a Very Serious Disease. It's not a fad. It's not all in your head, and you're not having an anxiety attack. We will support you! We will walk you through it. It WILL get easier, just give it time. Time is one thing you've got, Deanna! You will figure this out, and you will feel better. We ALL started out in the same place--hearing "Celiac Disease" for the first time and wondering how in the world we were going to do this!

j9n Contributor

I am pretty new at this myself so I know how you feel. I have to try to not get mad at my husband when he throws out my gluten free dinner that I cooked and runs to McDonalds!

Is shredded cheese bad? Maybe thats what caused my relapse the other day, still not 100%. I checked everything I put in my cassarole except the cheese, now I can't find any info on it.

I am finding it alot more challenging since I can't just come home and cook or buy whatever I want. I have to plan ahead and cook from scratch even though I am tired from a long day at work and then hope my family will like it. I think tonight I will have spaghetti but mine will be with spaghetti squash and they can have the noodles and probably the sausage since who knows what is put inside those things!! :o

I had very good luck with the banana nut bread recipe from this website and I added 2 tablespoon flaxseed. It came out really good and didn't last long around here.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Just to comment on the cooking from scratch thing - it really doesn't have to be difficult, time consuming, or stressful to cook from scratch - after you have a bit of practice at the easy dishes. Chili, tacos, soups, stews, stir fries, and sautees are all great, one pan dishes that take (for some soups, anyway) around half an hour or less. It takes practice working on something specific like that, but you'll get there.

Niteyx13 Explorer

Hi, me again.

I found some spaghetti noodles that are made from Rice at Sprouts, and if you cook them long enough they really don't taste much different from regular noodles. So, we can have spaghetti...yay! =)

About the cheese, from what I have been told...already shredded cheese is a no-no, because they add stuff to it so it won't cake. I heard that block cheese is the best to use, which means I have to hunt down my grater. Kraft Naturals has no gluten - I don't know about other brands. Can anyone that has been at this longer verify the shredded cheese thing??? Thanks!

Thanks for responding all! I told my husband about the board on here for family of gluten-free people, he noted it, so hopefully he will come on here. I don't want to drive him any more crazy than I already have.

Deanna

kalo Rookie

I've used Lundberg brown rice spaghetti and it was great. My husband didn't even know I had used anything different. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest NitaB

Carol,

So, you must've gotten your enterolab results back. I'm not sure I understand what you may have to do different, being gluten sensitive? Is that not celiac disease, or turn into celiac disease?

Are you doing the gluten-free diet? Feeling any better yet???

Nita

kalo Rookie

Hi Nita. I posted my results but then I couldn't find them. Yes, I got my results on the 28th of June. They actually came back on the 25th but Yahoo screwed up and I didn't get them. Basically I was positive for gluten sensitivity but my fecal fat test for malabsorption was negative meaning my intestines haven't been damaged yet. I also have the gene which means it runs in my family. My brothers are chewing on this but not wanting to deal with it. I also tested positive for milk casein allergy which is a bummer. I love my dairy and cheese is a quick food. I've been gluten-free for 6 weeks tomorrow and aside from a little more energy the past week I still don't feel well. Stomache, muscles, head etc. I've also been casein free (second time around as I did it for the first 2-3 weeks) for over a week but I blew it yesterday and ate some jack cheese. I know! Haven't noticed anything different. I'm seriously considering doing the SCD diet by Eliane Gottschell. My book hasn't arrived yet and it needs to be read first. It's alot stricter than just gluten-free but I've heard some amazing things about it. Next week we go on vacation and I need to figure out what I can take with me to eat as I will mostly be fending for myself. We will be seeing relatives in several different locations. Thanks so much for asking.

Guest NitaB

Carol,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you aren't quite well yet. I don't know what the SCD diet is.

Good luck on vacation. I have to admit, the days we are off doing stuff with family, are the hardest! We seem to barbecue every weekend, for some reason! I'm getting tired of a hamburger patty, baked beans, and fruit! Well, sometimes there is other stuff, but not always!

Nita

kalo Rookie

Hi Nita. SCD is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It was originated by Dr. Haas who is no longer alive. This is what he used to treat celiacs and any with digestive problems. My doctor had a woman in her 50's who took 5-6 months on a gluten-free diet to get well. So I'm debating whether I should just stick with this or try the SCD. I joined a support group and we shall see. Suggestions for food for the trip? Thanks much.

kalo Rookie

I was going to add that I got INCREDIBLEY sick on Saturday. Haven't been that sick in a long time and it was no fun. runs, throwing up, headache etc. Wondered if it was something I ate (no gluten for sure) but turned out the stomache flue is going around our church. Sure hope it stays away from our house. I grew up with that all the time. YUK!

Guest NitaB

Carol,

How awful, the flu! :o Oh dear, you poor thing! I'm sorry you are also casein alergic, as that limits you so much more! BTW, I only took the Evista for Osteo for 2 days. I need to call the Dr. back to tell her!

I have found that if I have lunch out, I try to eat at a place with all meals served all day, rather than just lunch. I sometimes order a beef patty, fresh fruit, scrambled egg, or salad, and use my packets of gluten-free dressing I ordered from the gluten-free Pantry. I'm certainly eating more fruit and salads than before! An omelette is good for me, and I feel like they are made separately in it's own omelette pan. But, my cholesterol is a bit high, so can't continue to eat them for long!

My favorite breakfast at home is, Van's gluten-free toaster waffle, with straberry jam or syrup, and fresh strawberries. Or with blackberry and fruit. It's very good! Dinner isn't hard, with meat and potatoes, salads, or other vegetables.

I made meatloaf this evening, using oatmeal. I sure hope it sets okay!!! Oat never bothered me before, but haven't had it in over a month. Will see how I feel in the morning, as it seems to take a few hours for me.

Good luck with your vacation! I don't have any overnighters until Oct., a Caribbean cruise. Princess is supposed to be very helpful.

Nita

kalo Rookie

Thanks Nita. I will let you know how our vacation goes. Oatmeal in your meatloaf? My aren't you getting brave. ;) I'll be interested to know about your experience with it. As to what bothered me before gluten-free, I can't really say. EVERYTHING bothered me I guess. Except for nuts which cramp me up and go right through me (not in the form of flour though). Whole corn is the same way. I get constipated and have BM's of some sort all day long whether its large or rock size. Today they were a funny green color which is strange. I'm doubled over all day long with gas and ichyness like I have to go but nothing comes out (even though I do pass some during the day). :( This is 24/7. Actually I don't know if it was ALWAYS there and just took a back seat to my other symptoms and I'm just now becomming more aware of it which is probably the case. Wondering what to do about it (except the SCD diet might help). I also feel it in my head. I purchased some dried fruit today to see if we like it. It was ok gluten wise. If we like it I will get several bags to take on our trip for snacks. I might even make some gluten-free muffins if I have time and I'm feeling up to it (yea right! Before Fri/Sat). B) Guess I'm just rambling. Didn't sleep well last night so I need to crash early.

Archived