This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Have Trouble With gluten-free Breads?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

I seem to be getting a stomach ache every time I eat gluten-free/dairy free breads, muffins cookies etc..anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Yes, for me it seems to be the large quantities of tapioca starch that does it.

letter2elise Newbie

I had a problem with Gluten Free breads for several years. I got to the point where I would avoid them all together. Not to mention they taste terrible!

I have found a wonderful new brand that I have been using for a couple of months. I LOVE IT! My Daughter prefers it over regular bread and my family members say it tastes like normal bread.

visit charlottesbakery.com

The rice bread is AMAZING! They have a couple other flavors that are good too, but I like the rice the very best. SHipping can get rather expensive, so contact the company and see if they have any stores near you that sell their product.

Good luck!

ebrbetty Rising Star

thank you both, its almost like its too heavy.

I just had a gluten-free english muffin because I had to eat something before I start the prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow :blink: scared to death!!

kabowman Explorer

I discovered a problem with the gluten-free breads (I went a little crazy baking and cooking all the breads and muffins I could find when I first switched over) and found out my problem was not a bread issue but a yeast issue.

I am not saying that you have that problem, only that I did. I like the Chebe breads which help but not great for sandwhiches.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I can't eat gluten free bread because I am intolerant to rice, corn, soy and potatoes as well (and can't tolerate starches of any kind well). There could be lots of different reasons why you can't tolerate it. Really, you need to test all the ingredients separately.

When I tried that, I got an immediate reaction to tapioca (burning tongue). The reactions to the other ingredients aren't immediate, since they're stomach or gut reactions.

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't eat them any more, either because I am intolerant to all the grains that I've tried, and also to tapioca. Ursula--I don't get burning, but tapioca makes my mouth very dry as soon as I begin chewing it. It also causes me stomach upset. I tried The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread (mix) as it has few ingredients--no dairy, soy, or tapioca. I still couldn't tolerate it, but you might. Have you tried this one, Betty? It's also possible that you could be intolerant to grains or tapioca. Don't you just love being a food detective :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

I can't do potatoes too often so a lot of gluten free breads are off limits for me because of that. I do sometimes eat gluten free bread and cakes that are made with just rice and corn though. Althought I really prefer rice cakes, I must be the only person in the world who really likes them. :D:D:D

Pauliina

ebrbetty Rising Star
I don't eat them any more, either because I am intolerant to all the grains that I've tried, and also to tapioca. Ursula--I don't get burning, but tapioca makes my mouth very dry as soon as I begin chewing it. It also causes me stomach upset. I tried The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread (mix) as it has few ingredients--no dairy, soy, or tapioca. I still couldn't tolerate it, but you might. Have you tried this one, Betty? It's also possible that you could be intolerant to grains or tapioca. Don't you just love being a food detective :D

first let me thank you all for the impute :D

hi patty, I bought the gluten-free pantry white bread mix last week, I'm going to try it this weekend, so I'll see if it sits any better, all the ones I've tried so far feel like I ate a rock!

queenofhearts Explorer

Have you folks tried sorghum breads? That's my favorite bread flour so far. I've experimented with several flour blends, but find the sorghum is the key ingredient. I don't know how well it would work for those of you with other sensitivities, but it might be worth a try.

Leah

eKatherine Rookie

I've made bread with buckwheat flour, too.

loraleena Contributor

Interesting, I find that sorghum makes me feel like crap!

charmaine broxton Newbie
thank you both, its almost like its too heavy.

I just had a gluten-free english muffin because I had to eat something before I start the prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow :blink: scared to death!!

Don't worry a colonoscopy isn't that bad. I had one about 2 weeks ago. I got sedated so it wasn't too bad.xxx

wozzy Apprentice

I find that some brands make me feel not-so-great, but the brown rice bread from Whole Foods is OK.

I really like the um I think it's enjoy life bread that's really springy (it tastes like eating a sponge, but in a good way) but it seems to make me a little sick so I don't eat it anymore.

Green12 Enthusiast
Don't you just love being a food detective :D

:lol::lol:

I also react to a lot of the gluten-free breads/baked goods. I don't tolerate the alternative grains very well and other substitute ingredients. I can get away with eating them once in a blue moon, but I never could eat them everyday or several days a week even.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I don't feel the greatest with alot of the popular gluten free breads. For me its the yeast and potato starch. I do ok with a millet/flax bread I get at my local health food store. I don't over do it either. I don't have the web site available but its from Sami's bakery and its located in Florida.

gail

ebrbetty Rising Star

if its not one food its another :blink:

thanks for the support on the colonoscopy :D

brendygirl Community Regular

The breads with fruit juice are heavy and ok tasting, but I just don't have any desire to eat them. There is no way I can finish a whole loaf before it goes bad, so it's too expensive. I forgot the name of the kind that looks like a real loaf of white bread, but it's made with corn- it recommends that you toast it-it's ok, but it makes me bloated and gassy, so I choose not to eat that either. The corn muffin mixes are ok, but they are so crumbly and I have to douse them with spray butter and jam to eat them. I really only crave bread when my boyfriend eats hot dogs or sausages with buns!

Guest lynnacim

I can't eat gluten free bread because I am intolerant to rice, corn, soy and potatoes as well (and can't tolerate starches of any kind well). There could be lots of different reasons why you can't tolerate it. Really, you need to test all the ingredients separately.

When I tried that, I got an immediate reaction to tapioca (burning tongue). The reactions to the other ingredients aren't immediate, since they're stomach or gut reactions.

[/quote

Ursula, I've never posted so I hope this is correct. I'm just beginning a gluten free diet to see if it resolves my long history of malabsorption,burping, burning,constipation/diarrhea etc. I have been eating a lot of the gluten free products for a couple of years because I found out I did better without wheat. Then nothing seemed to work(stressful period also in life). For about 2 years as I became worse my tongue also began burning. You have me wondering about the tapioca. How did you find this out? Do other foods also cause the burning as well? Also how did you find out all the foods you were allergic to, an allergist? Thanks, Lynn

graindamage Rookie

I don't have any problems with the gluten-free bread, but I get the same symptoms when I eat corn as I do gluten.

It seems as if, for many, grains should be avoid 100% of the time. I feel best when I eat fruits, vegetables, and legumes.

rinne Apprentice

I generally avoid the gluten free breads and treats, they do not agree with me and although the effect is not as bad as being glutened it's bad enough. It is only once a month or so that I have some gluten free toast and I haven't found a rice bread that I really like anyways. Home made treats are definitely superior, they taste better and I feel better when I eat them but I can't do them often.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am ill and it will take time to recover and that I need to be very gentle with my digestion, it is just not up to too many sweets.

taz sharratt Enthusiast

wow, i thought it was just me about gluten-free breads, i too have a small reaction when i eat gluten-free bread, i thought it may be that i had a reaction to some other ingriedient but thought i was being paranoid but i must have, reading the posts here ive come to the point where i think i have to get tested for something else that is makeing me ill. thanx.

HAPPY DOG SUZ Enthusiast
Have you folks tried sorghum breads? That's my favorite bread flour so far. I've experimented with several flour blends, but find the sorghum is the key ingredient. I don't know how well it would work for those of you with other sensitivities, but it might be worth a try.

Leah

Aloha,

C B) Can you please post your favorite sorghum bread recipe? Thanks

sspitzer5 Apprentice
I seem to be getting a stomach ache every time I eat gluten-free/dairy free breads, muffins cookies etc..anyone else?

I have a problem with gluten-free breads because of an egg allergy. Many of the breads have eggs, although not all. Maybe there's another allergy involved.

S

queenofhearts Explorer
Aloha,

C B) Can you please post your favorite sorghum bread recipe? Thanks

My fave so far is the 4-flour bread in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, using the sesame variation & replacing all sugar with molasses. It isn't all sorghum, just one of the ingredients, but it seems to make a big difference.

Leah

Archived