This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Good Gluten Free Bread?

porterpotti

porterpotti Newbie

I have tried about 5 kinds of gluten free bread including several store bought kinds and several home baked kinds from scratch as well as mixes and I have not found any that were that great. Does anyone know of any bread recipes that taste anywhere close to regular wheat bread? I'm really craving sandwiches and would LOVE to be able to eat a good tomato sandwich.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin
:) Hi and welcome. I am sure there are some good recipes on another thread-but have you tried Kinnikinnick white sandwich bread? It comes frozen and is pretty good. It is gluten free and dairy free. I use it for sandwiches all the time and it actually tastes pretty good.
Daxin Explorer

You should try to find a copy of the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" We have it here and have tried a few of the breads. The Quinoa bread is the best so far, but there is another one using yogurt (not so good if you are also dairy free.) I find that all the home made ones are the best for sandwiches.

I LOVE tomato sandwiches, and my dw had to find a recipe for good bread ASAP so I could at least have some comforty food while I was healing post-dx.

Hope that helped a little. I have not had much luck with the store bought breads. I find they all taste like cardboard! ;)

Lister Rising Star

gluten free pantry- sandwich bread mix

i personly have not had it yet, but i had 2 boxs in my cupboard that my friend got me as a gift, they desided to make it when i was not home, i got home and realised it uses milk (im still avoiding for a few months) so i was not able to eat it, so my roommates did they said they could not taste a diffrience besides it was slightly spungy but not that bad at all

Nantzie Collaborator

My favorite so far is Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread mix. I even eat it plain and untoasted.

julified Newbie

I have tried many bread mixes. I suggest getting a bread maker and using the gluten free pantry mixes. I have found that it is the easiest and best tasting.

Lister Rising Star

they dont turn out half bad from cheap bread pans either

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I love the gluten free pantry mix, we make about a loaf a week, in the bread machine but It also cooks in the oven, we let it cool slice it with an eletric knife( that way it is thin like sandwhich bread) and store it in the frig, it last longer this way and it great toasted!! it would make great tomato sandwhiches, I get the mix at wild oats but if you don't have one of those close you can order it from the Gluten Free Pantry web site, you can order the dairy free sandwhich bread mix from there too if thats an issue, the one they sell at wild oats has dry milk present. I hope this helps you!

Guhlia Rising Star

The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy has an excellent bagel recipe that I use for sandwich rolls. They're much better as rolls than they are as bagels. I just omit the sugar from the recipe. They even make good lunchmeat sandwiches!!! BLT's are divine on them. :)

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I agree with the Kinnikinnick white sandwich, but they also make a brown bread that i absolutely love. Maybe you can try that?

bklynceliac Apprentice

Wholefoods has a pretty good sandwhich bread which is great for sandwiches or just toast in the morning. You don't even need to keep it frozen, which is handy. But the best bread and rolls I've had are from Gillian's (gilliansfoods.com). Great sandwich bread, dinner rolls that are buttery and amazing, even pretty solid brownies. They'll ship direct too...

jaimek Enthusiast

I have tried numerous breads, and the only one that I can stand eating is Ener-G Tapioca Bread. It is sliced thin and you don't have to freeze it.

floridanative Community Regular

Wholefoods now makes some sun dried tomato bread which is quite yummy. It may have been out for a while but I just found out about it. It tastes almost as good as it smells but of course is not really sandwich bread - just great with dinner!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

The homemade one I would reccomend is the submarine sandwich bread from Annalise Roberts book. Actually I'm sure any of her breads are great but that is the only one I have tried. It's incredible and you can use it for so many different things. Sanwiches, garlic bread, pizzas... it's awesome!

As far as store bought, well you would have to order it but it is from the Gluten Free Bread Basket in Chester, NY. I have tried both their sandwich bread and mock rye - both amazing!!! And get this, you don't have to toast them to eat it. You can just take the bread out and make a sandwich like a normal person!!

The website is: www.gfbreadbasket.com

Thanks Jillian for letting us know about the gluten-free bread basket. I was wondering if it was any good. You don't have to toast it even? That is too awesome!

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Thanks Jillian for letting us know about the gluten-free bread basket. I was wondering if it was any good. You don't have to toast it even? That is too awesome!

No I swear you don't have to toast it; I couldn't believe it!!!! I had been wanting to try it for awhile. They are located about 10 minutes from Woodbury Commons which is an awesome outlet center in NY so I figured I would go there the next time I went up there. But luckily they were at the Suffolk County Celiac Vendor Fair in West Babylon, NY last month. I tried it and nearly dropped to the floor. I couldn't believe that I was eating untoasted bread and it tasted great. I bought a loaf of the sandwich bread and got cold cuts as soon as I got home and brought sandwiches to work everyday that week.

:D

mamatide Enthusiast

I have finally reached near perfection with Carol Fenster's basic bread. Leah - you'd love it. She offers several flour blends to choose from - I used the sorghum with the almond option instead of bean flour (I can give more details on that if you need but it's all in the book Gluten Free 101).

I had posted a while back about gluten-free bread falling after taking it out of the oven. Well, this time I left it in 10 minutes longer and it's fabulous. I mean we-all-had-untoasted-sandwiches-for-lunch fabulous!

I also tried the fennel option (mix in 1Tbsp fennel and 1Tbsp molasses before baking) and it's truly amazing. A hint of licorice scent and graininess especially toasted with butter.

So I'm quite satisfied with my bread options at the moment. It's got a springy texture, it's not crumbly and it even tastes good raw.

I can't encourage you strongly enough to give it a try.

mamatide

lorka150 Collaborator

i have always had success wuth my recipe. i love it - it is on my site, below.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have one for breadsticks :D

Soft and Chewy Breadsticks

1/4 cup shorting

3 tablespoons honey

2 eggs

1 tablespoon yeast

1 cup unflavored yogurt (So Nice makes a dairy free, gluten free yogurt)

1/2 cup potato starch

1 1/2 cups cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon vinegar

Topping: Kosher salt and/or other herbs, sesame seeds, ect.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Mix well to remove lumps. The dough will be quite wet. Place dough in a pastry bag with a large round tip (or use a plastic lunch bag with a bit of a corner cut off). Pipe dough into long strips (5-6 inches is nice) on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with toppings. Bake 10-12 minties, until golden brown.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Try one Manna from Anna bread mix. You won't believe it and will agree it's the best bread out there!!

www.mannafromanna.com

mamatide Enthusiast
I have one for breadsticks :D

Soft and Chewy Breadsticks

1/4 cup shorting

3 tablespoons honey

2 eggs

1 tablespoon yeast

1 cup unflavored yogurt (So Nice makes a dairy free, gluten free yogurt)

1/2 cup potato starch

1 1/2 cups cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon vinegar

Topping: Kosher salt and/or other herbs, sesame seeds, ect.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Mix well to remove lumps. The dough will be quite wet. Place dough in a pastry bag with a large round tip (or use a plastic lunch bag with a bit of a corner cut off). Pipe dough into long strips (5-6 inches is nice) on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with toppings. Bake 10-12 minties, until golden brown.

This recipe sounds great.

Do you use traditional or fast-acting yeast? I note no rising time nor warm liquids so was wondering.

Thanks in advance...

mamatide

I ditto about Breads from Anna being wonderful. It is a light, fluffy whole wheat type bread. I'm making the Pamela's bread mix today for the first time today so I'll post how it turns out. I've heard it's great as well and since her other items are so great I'm guessing the bread will be pretty good as everyone who's had it stated (on another thread somewhere on ohere).

FrostyFriday Rookie
I have tried about 5 kinds of gluten free bread including several store bought kinds and several home baked kinds from scratch as well as mixes and I have not found any that were that great. Does anyone know of any bread recipes that taste anywhere close to regular wheat bread? I'm really craving sandwiches and would LOVE to be able to eat a good tomato sandwich.

Hi

I love the Sunflower Flax Rice Bread from Kinnikinnick. It is wholegrain and dairy free. I also have an a egg allergy and it contain no eggs which is very hard to find a bread without eggs. It is frozen but can be thawed and used as fresh bread. Also good toasted and spread with gluten-free peanut butter.

Another egg free bakery item is ElPeto Brown Rice Hamburger buns. Can be toasted or thawed in microwave and used as fresh. Both much tastier than the ungluten free baked bread I use to eat before being diagnosed.

Okay - for me Breads from Anna is much better than Pamela's amazing gluten free bread. It is the consistency and taste that I like better about the Anna's bread. With Pamela's you still get that spongy texture (or I did) that Anna's doesn't have.

porterpotti Newbie

Wow, thanks for all the help! I just bought a bread mix from Kinnikinnik(sp?) that I will try. I will also look at Anna's bread mix, it sounds like it might be worth a try.

Today I found hope!!! My wife and I went to Wild Oats and I tried thier gluten free scone, and it was sooo good. It tasted just like regular...I was very happy.

Thanks again for all the help!

Archived