This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

For Women Cd Suffers Only.....

Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I find that my celiac disease symptoms really worsen during the time of the month that I have my period..... As soon as my diarrhea worsens, I know that I am getting my period the next day. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

I was just thinking about this earlier today. I noticed that when I was eating gluten that my diarrhea was much worse during that time of the month. I know that now I try to be careful not to get any accidental gluten during my period, since the reaction will be much worse. It has something to do with all the hormones, but I'm not sure how.

God bless,

Mariann

Wish Newbie

I noticed this, too! I only had my period twice during the year that I had notable GI symptoms, but both times I was in total agony...to be quite honest the pain made me a big fan of amenorrhea! Since diagnosis I have had several periods that have been much less painful, so based on my experiences I can't help but think that there is a connection between sex hormone levels and the severity of the immune response.

~Wish

tarnalberry Community Regular

I haven't particularly noticed that, but it makes sense, as you've already gotten the nerves in that area going! But I have noticed that - as far as I can tell - gluten-contamination is the one thing that can really delay ovulation for me. (I chart, so I can tell when I ovulate.) I could be wrong, but it's seemed to be true so far in the past 12 months or so.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I noticed it was worse around my persiod before I found out about my Celiacs because I was taking gluten containing pain meds. Now, it still happens more so too but I am taking the right pain releavers. I think it has to do with the hormones, stress, and such. I am kind of glad I am not the only one.

Donna F Enthusiast

I've had the problem too, but I never attributed it to gluten.

I've been extra-vigilant on the diet and I still find my bowels very loose at that time. I've always thought it was due to the muscle contractions associated with menstruation, as they are loosest at the beginning when I've got cramps too. In fact, I notice it as soon as the mild cramps start the day B4 my period.

As for ovulation, I've had no change that I know of. I chart too and haven't seen a difference either way.

-donna

MichelleC Apprentice

Turtle...

What were the problematic pain meds?

Thanks,

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I forget the exact thing I took (this was over a year ago) but it was of Tylenal brand. I would take it sometimes for other things and get sick so I stopped taking it except when I had my period because of the bad cramps I needed something for the pain even if it made me sick. Then when i was diagnosed I knew why it made me sick so I haven't taken it since. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

plantime Contributor

The hormone shift that cause us to menstruate also causes looser stools and diarhhea, so it is natural for even a non-celiac woman to have diarhhea right before her period. For those that already have diarhhea, it only makes it worse. If you have cramps with your period, the muscle contractions will cause continual bowel elimination. It is all tied up together, and all because we are women!

nthei Apprentice

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I'm having the same problems. I also get even more tired and experience almost flu like symptoms right before I start, then when I start I seem to get back on track. I also get a craving for chocolate and salt! Crazy I know, but true.

Thank you all!

Have a great day!

Christina

AmyandSabastian Explorer

I also have the same probelm. I am glad someone mentioned this. One thing about the ovulation. It took us almost a year to have my little one. We are about to start trying again and I am worring that its going to take forever. We plan on going gluten free Aug 1st. Should I wait for a couple of months of being gluten-free? Or shoudl I start now. I dont chart I count days so I am not sure if I ovualte late or what? Any help on this matter would be apprieated.

tarnalberry Community Regular

amy, you might want to consider charter. the only thing I've found that delays my ovulation is ingesting gluten, so if you have an accident, you may need to alter when you "try".

byuiemily Newbie

it's interesting that this post has come about at this time, because this past week I've noticed when I "accidently" ingest gluten, my body completely freaks out, 10x worse then it will any other time, and what do you know? I started my period today, and had it not been for this post, I probably would never have connected the two. I will remember from now on to be especially careful around that time of the month, because it certainly threw me for a loop this month. I went to go eat at my friend's grandma's house on Monday and there was a dish that had bread in it, and I went ahead and ate it anyways since my body had seemed to take the past few "accidents" fairly well, and 15 minutes later I was in their bathroom, for the next 30 minutes....can we say embarrasing? To say the least, I'm going to have to very very careful for the next few weeks since once I have a really bad bout with my body, it doesn't settle back down very easily.

Niteyx13 Explorer

My periods are always right on schedule, but they last 7-8 days! I have always had major cramps, and I have had hot flashes around period time since I got pregnant with my first child at 18 years old (people don't often believe me since this is something that most women don't get until menopause). I had to have pre-cancerous cells taken from my cervix 2 years ago also, I am now 27. Every woman in my Mom's side of the family have had at least a partial historectomy in their late 30's or early 40's. So, I am sure that will happen to me too. Anyone else had any of these issues???

Deanna

byuiemily Newbie

I can't say that I've had the problem with the pre-cancerous cells, but my periods too last for a week if not a few days over that and my cramps are unbelievable; nothing seems to dull the pain. I also get hot flash sensations during my period (havent had a baby though) but I never really told anyone about that, because I figured it was normal...maybe it's not? *shrugs* I'm learning new things everyday about other parts of my life that are affected by celiac disease.

Niteyx13 Explorer

I have always used ibuprofen for cramps, and that helps a lot. I also take lots of hot baths, they relieve the pain - until you get out at least.

:lol:

j9n Contributor

I know there is a definite connection between my period and my stomach being very sensitive. Its funny, my symptoms got worse shortly after switching my blood pressure meds and staring the Nuvaring. I keep asking if it is related but all the doctors tell me no. I do like the Nuvaring though. My gyno told me I could just replace it after 3 weeks and skip my period. I tried it and guess what? I skipped my period but still got sick. Before my diagnosis I frequented the IBS board and it seems women there get worse during their period as well.

lisa922 Apprentice

Hi, Ladies -

This is all very interesting to me. The year before I was diagnosed, I was having lots of gastro and female issues. After a few months, I realized that the worst gastro pain and trouble was PMS time, so, naturally, I figured there was a connection. Of course, the doctors all said no. I then was told after a lap for endometriosis that my uterus was twice as big as it was supposed to be and he suspected adenomyosis (kind of an internal endo) and suggested it be removed. Just prior to seeing him, I had begun charting (think I only got 2 months worth then we got a puppy and I could never get my temp done in the morning). I had been wondering for at least 10 months if my ovaries were working properly since I didn't feel like I was ovulating properly. Since I was having so much trouble, I went ahead and had the uterus removed in Sept 03, but kept the ovaries because he said they looked fine (although previously I had been told one was polycystic and I had PCOS, but they attributed the lack of cysts on them to my weight loss). Well...here I am now with no uterus and granted, that has given me a great deal of relief, however, now he tells me at my check-up last Thurs that, at 37, I have the vagina of a 50 yr old and that it is very thin, red, and shortened (I had complained of extra dryness down there). So now he tells me he thinks my ovaries have been compromised due to the surgery and wants me to do hormones, which I was very opposed to due to the endo and elevated bilirubin levels and side effects. It is *funny* how doctors come up with something they think is great for you, but they really don't know how your body will react. I didn't find out about the Celiac until April 2004, so I do wonder if they had figured that out sometime much earlier maybe I wouldn't be in this position. If I had known about the Celiac and how it affects your cycles, etc, perhaps I would have waited to be gluten-free for a year or two before deciding to do the hyst. I can't say altogether that I regret it, because, like I said earlier, I have received a lot of benefits (lack of pain, exhaustion, etc) from the surgery, but it just goes to show that no organ can be removed from your body without it affecting other areas. I do wonder if my ovaries are just kind of "sleeping" and maybe with proper supplements and being gluten-free for a while they will wake up and work again. I am thinking I need to try the charting again. I wish I had been doing that my whole life - I think women can learn a great deal about their bodies from it. Just from the minimal amount I did, I could see that I did not ovulate correctly. Best of luck to all of you out there struggling with both female and Celiac!!!

LISA in Wilkesboro, NC

bigapplekathleen Contributor

Hey j9n -

The doctor told you the incorrent timing for skipping your period with the Nuvaring. Leave it in for 4 weeks, then replace it with the next one. There is info in the packet you get with your prescription if want to look at it.

I started the Nuvaring in April, after having a D&C in March following a 3-month-long period. My ob/gyn said I probably hadn't ovulated in months. He associated it to the extreme weight loss I have had since going on the gluten-free diet. However, he thinks I have PCOS and possibly endometriosis. I have a giant cyst on my right ovary that just appeared in February.

I also have fibrocystic breast lumps. Has anyone else dealt with those in connection with celiac? My surgeon knows nothing about the connection but i bet a lot of you have dealt with this. I may have them removed in August, but am worried that they will just keep returning if there is a celiac connection.

My PMS symptoms have subsided since I started the Nuvaring. My moods are so much more level now !

Kathleen

gluten-free since August 2003

MD-diagnosed celiac

lisa922 Apprentice

Kathleen -

That is interesting about the fibrocystic breasts - I too have had trouble with mine being very lumpy and they got much worse in the winter of 2002, just after I had had my dryness problems and was wondering if I was ovulating properly. Since I had my uterus removed and am not having the severe dryness and my gyn thinks that my ovaries are kind of slowly petering out, I have not noticed as much trouble with my breasts. This is completely my opinion, but I think that the malfunctioning ovaries (like with PCOS) causes such an imbalance of hormones that everything is thrown off. Again, just my opinion, but I kind of felt like maybe I had either way too much estrogen, or more likely, not enough progesterone (or I suppose a combination of the two) and that triggered all the stuff with me with the cysts in my breasts and cycle problems and endometriosis. I brought that up to more than one doctor and they just said these are just typical female problems and they never tested my estrogen level. In hingsight, I wish I had made them do that, but once my FSH/LH levels were ok, they didn't want to pursue anything else. I'm not sure if all this is related to Celiac or not, but I do know my gastro problems have always been worse during the PMS time and before I was diagnosed I was convinced all my problems had a hormonal connection. I still think that is true, just don't know which came first. I've always had psycho PMS, but had never taken the pill. I was getting ready to try it when my bilirubin was still elevated and I couldn't try it and then found out the uterus was messed up, so I had the surgery. I think I'm rambling here, but I'm guessing the cysts in the breasts are hormone-related just because mine are better since the surgery in Sept 03, yet I only found out about Celiac and went gluten-free in April 04. But....perhaps it is Celiac that messes up the hormones and in that way they are connected. I'm certainly not advocating a hysterectomy or anything, but there is a very informative site www.hystersisters.com that has a good message board. It has lots of info on those thinking about hyst's and alternatives and lots of stuff about hormones. Also one that I haven't been to in a while Open Original Shared Link that is more a perimenopause/menopause site, but has a boatload of good hormone info in it.

Lisa in Wilkesboro, NC

bigapplekathleen Contributor

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info! I would never dream of a hysterectomy but will continue to look into the celiac disease-hormone imbalance link. Luciily, my celiac disease doc is the top guy in the world. I am going to see him again in a month, so will see what he has to say about all this stuff.

best wishes,

kathleen

Archived