This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cardio - How To Get Started ?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient
They still make cross trainers. Have you tried big stores like Dicks? Or those stores in the malls that specialize in athletic shoes? I don't know much about running shoes, and since I do the elliptical machine, which is non-impact, I don't have to worry much about the right shoes. But I know runners need to protect their legs.

The only thing I do know from buying my kids shoes for track, is that it's easier to run in shoes that are curved and designed for running. My son bought cross trainers (at Kohl's) and they didn't work as well as my daughter's running shoes.

Yes.. for track, stuff like the 1/4 mile, 200m, etc where you spend most of your run up on your toes.. but tahts dif then the 5k of cross country, or the long distance endurance building that I am trying to do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast
Yes.. for track, stuff like the 1/4 mile, 200m, etc where you spend most of your run up on your toes.. but tahts dif then the 5k of cross country, or the long distance endurance building that I am trying to do.

Like I said, I don't know anything about running!! :rolleyes: except that boots probably aren't the best choice in shoes!!! :lol: I think I'd use your running time to get the grocery shopping done if I were your wife!! Clomp, clomp, clomp.

• 2 weeks later...
VydorScope Proficient

OKAY!

Soooooo umm I have been doing 35 mins @ 4.0 mph for a few days now... and my last chagne was from 30 to 35 mins... should I do 4.5 mph or 40 mins next?

CarlaB Enthusiast

It would depend on your heart rate, that's what's important. Keep your heart rate in your target range (so increase speed if you can), and add five minutes to 40 minutes. No sense increasing speed if your heart rate goes up out of your range.

VydorScope Proficient

No idea what my heart rate is, I can not seem to measure it and run at the same time. Not real sure what the target range should be either.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I shoot for 140-150, but that's for my age (I think you're younger <_< ) and the strength of the workout I want. There are charts on the internet if you do a search ... Take your pace down to a walk, and feel your pulse with your index and middle fingers on your neck, towards the front, but to the side. Take it for 10 seconds, multiply by 6.

tarnalberry Community Regular

As for which change to go with - which one do you want to do? If neither one is going to throw your heart rate out of whack, pick the one that most appeals to you, do that first, then do the other one the next time you make a change.

So... have that doctor's appointment yet for the heart test??? *poke* :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
As for which change to go with - which one do you want to do? If neither one is going to throw your heart rate out of whack, pick the one that most appeals to you, do that first, then do the other one the next time you make a change.

So... have that doctor's appointment yet for the heart test??? *poke* :P

Yep, and posted it elswhere. He okayed me to run

My ejection faction is still low, but is not FALLING and thats the big worry for nonw. So get another scan next year and see.

Still no real sure how to pull of hear rate monitoring while running.. .dont ahve $50 right now to spend on a monitor.

well since last time I did time, I guess you mean to say this time do speed?

well since last time I did time, I guess you mean to say this time do speed?

ideally. give it a try, and if you find it's too much (just doesn't feel right at all), go the other route. one option I've used in the past is, if I'm very near my limit, to push up my speed and drop my time in the same week, and then make my next changes about bumping up speed. it's really a matter of listening to your body, but it just takes the one time you try the workout to find out what it's going to say.

for measuring your heartrate, to get an estimate, pause in your running and measure your pulse for fifteen seconds (then multiply by four, of course), and get back to running. just make sure you've got a clock/watch with a second reading near by and you're good.

and congrats on your passing test result.

• 2 weeks later...
VydorScope Proficient

Soo... umm what is a reasonable speed to reach? I am thinking of a half marathon some day.

:-) So goal oriented.

Reasonable is whatever you want.

Speed and distance are *totally* different goals though. Some of us are slower runners who can keep going forever. Some are sprinters who can go really fast, but not for a really long time. You can have goals in both categories, of course. I look forward, over the winter, to training for doing some 10k's. (I know, sounds short, but my first ortho didn't want me to run at all.) I don't really have a time in mind at the moment - I'll figure that out after I do one or two and see how I feel. A friend is running a half marathon down in Disneyland in a couple weeks, and another friend has set her sights on marathon in San Francisco. (Just to give you some ideas. Seems like most of what I know is more distance oriented, then speed derived from that.)

VydorScope Proficient

Not as much intrested in speed... other hten the ammount of time I have to exercise. So like I am prestently at 4.7mph for 40 mins steady (well have to stop to loosen my hiking boots to allow blood flow , but I stop the clock for that and its only a few secs), thinking fo making a my next target 5.0 for 45. After 45 I dunno that i can spen any more time at it so I guess I only have speed.

Not as much intrested in speed... other hten the ammount of time I have to exercise. So like I am prestently at 4.7mph for 40 mins steady (well have to stop to loosen my hiking boots to allow blood flow , but I stop the clock for that and its only a few secs), thinking fo making a my next target 5.0 for 45. After 45 I dunno that i can spen any more time at it so I guess I only have speed.

1. GET NEW SHOES!

:P

(Check the local running stores, really. They might need to mail order for you, but they'll know a manufacturer who makes shoes you can wear. It'll take a little leg work (ha!), but you'll notice it improves your run to take the weight off your feet.)

Yep, if you're time's limited, you work on speed. Going up to five sounds good. Up 0.2 miles one week, then 0.3 the next (or every two weeks, whatever), sounds good. Let your heart rate be your guide - and your docs advice with how that's going too! Personally, I don't see a need to get past 8mph (that'd be so fast for me!), but I'm a slow, long-distance runner. You might find the challenge of getting to 6 minute miles for that length of time to be quite a fun challenge. (Of course, at that point, you might consider slowing down your speed increases - increase at 0.1 mph per week, and take 20 weeks to get from 8mph to 10mph. You could do it in half the time, but do you need to? ;-) )

VydorScope Proficient
1. GET NEW SHOES!

:P

(Check the local running stores, really. They might need to mail order for you, but they'll know a manufacturer who makes shoes you can wear. It'll take a little leg work (ha!), but you'll notice it improves your run to take the weight off your feet.)

I can not mail order shoes, not even with a pro's help. I do not know why most ppl have such an easy time buying shoes that fit and I dont, but I can NEVER trust a size, brand, or style #. Every single time I get a pair of shoes I have to wear it for a bit before I buy it. I typical will try on every shoe with in +/- 3 of my measure numerical size, in every brand that makes a real wide shoe (ie skip all nikies!) in a given store. I typical will not bother with a small store, as thier selection is not usally worth looking at. On average is somthing like 3-4 months of this to find a shoe that fits. (Though I have not actually looked this month do to some other non-realted issues that have been much more important to handle... life gets in the way of living some times!)

My hiking boots weigh 4 pounds,(yes, I wieghed them) :o so I can probly jump to 20mph once I get real shoes LOL

Yep, if you're time's limited, you work on speed. Going up to five sounds good. Up 0.2 miles one week, then 0.3 the next (or every two weeks, whatever), sounds good. Let your heart rate be your guide - and your docs advice with how that's going too! Personally, I don't see a need to get past 8mph (that'd be so fast for me!), but I'm a slow, long-distance runner. You might find the challenge of getting to 6 minute miles for that length of time to be quite a fun challenge. (Of course, at that point, you might consider slowing down your speed increases - increase at 0.1 mph per week, and take 20 weeks to get from 8mph to 10mph. You could do it in half the time, but do you need to? ;-) )

Heart rate? I still not succefully monitoring that. :ph34r: I think it would be funny to run a 1/2 marathon or sotmhing with a shrt that says "I have a heart condition, whats your excuse?" on the back :D My gola for now is 1/2 marthon distance. Just cause.

So far I have been increasing by either 5 mins or .2-.3 mph. Though yesterday I pushed too hard and almost had a hypo-crash so gave up a couple mins shy and got some grape juice (real stuff). Too a bit to recover, but no I likly did not learn my lesson. :P I should eat better befor I start probably....

Archived