This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Westcester Dentist?

Guest Sibewill

Guest Sibewill

Would anyone know a dentist in Westchester NY who has worked with celiacs?

thanks in advance, (this tooth is killing me!)

Will

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Why do you need a Celiac-aware dentist? I just had a filling and I read somewhere, prior to going to the dentist, about Novocain being gluten-free :). In addition, nearly all toothpastes (all?) are gluten-free, and if you want to, I'm sure your dentist would let you bring your own gluten-free toothpaste. If you say this because a dentist who deals with celiacs might know more about tooth issues that accompany celiac disease, then....well, I don't really have an answer....sorry.

-celiac3270

Guest Sibewill

Thanks. I had been concerned about perhaps the cleansing agents or something would not be good for me. Its a relief to hear that I have equal odds with most dentists. I am going to the first one I find that will accept a new patient for Monday. I guess I'm a little over-the-top paranoid these days but I was doing so well until I got sick for days recently and still can't figure out what-from.

Anyway, thank you again for clearing that up.

-Will

celiac3270 Collaborator
I guess I'm a little over-the-top paranoid these days but I was doing so well until I got sick for days recently and still can't figure out what-from.

I think we're all paranoid about this....or at least, I am, too......but in my case because I want to feel better. I'll just try to stay healthy and if I don't get better for a long time, I'll start keeping a really meticulous record of what I eat so I can analyze what foods are giving me issues. For now, I think and hope that I'm still sick from those symptoms that can continue for a year into the diet -- I've only been on the diet for 5 months....wow, I'm rambling and not even about teeth.

Anyway....toothpaste would be gluten-free (but you could bring your own, like I said)....Novocain is gluten-free...lol.....but I see your point...there're so many things that they stick in your mouth that are questionable....I mean, how do you if gauze is gluten-free or those plastic trays that they put the fluoride in?....crazy. I think ultimately there isn't much we can do about it....when my mom asked about some product at my dentist's office, she got handed a bottle so she could "read the ingredients".....with all the flavorings there was no way to tell........unfortunately, a dentist who is celiac-aware still wouldn't be as conscientious to all those potential gluten sources..............but it's a good idea of there was one.......unfortunately, I think it would be hard to find a celiac-aware dentist on the entire east coast, let alone Westchester...........sorry.

-celiac3270

lovegrov Collaborator

Avoid mint-flavored anything and have them use plain pumice for cleaning and you should be fine.

richard

judy04 Rookie

Hi,

I have some experience with Dental products because every

time I went to the dentist I came back home with "brain fog",

which lasted all day. I found some dental ptoducts that are gluten

free from the Clan Thompson web site. I took a list of the

gluten free products to my dentist(who knew nothing about

Celiac) but his new assistant did because her son has the

disease. Luckily they were able to use the right products

and I no longer suffer the "brain fog".

celiac3270 Collaborator
Avoid mint-flavored anything and have them use plain pumice for cleaning and you should be fine.

Will do....just out of interest, why?....do mint-flavored things usually contain gluten?

-celiac3270

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know why but sometimes the carrier for the flavor is wheat. I've heard this about a particular mint-flavored floss (sorry, don't remember brand) and the manufacturer of the cleaning agents he uses told him not to use the mint-flavored. Ditto with the mint-flavored topical numbing agent.

That doesn't mean we have to avoid mint. I chew several brands of mint gum and eat Peppermint Patties. All the mint-flavored toothpastes I've ever checked have been gluten-free. Most mint is gluten-free, but for some reasons the products I named are not.

Not having the numbing agent means the injection hurts a little more, but that's better than a woman I know who is so allergic to the "caines" that she has all her dental work done without being numbed. Including a root canal.

richard

bigapplekathleen Contributor

I have a great dentist in stamford, CT, if you need one here. (EMail me for his name.) He is now very celiac aware (because of me). I put him in touch with the dentist who is doing the celiac studies for the Celiac Disease Center.

He uses a special technique to clean my teeth (like a laser thing) - no pumice, no polish.

I used to get very ill every time I went to the dentist. Now I am fine.

He even researched every ingredient before he had to do a crown last winter. I made it through that process without getting ill.

You are right about floss. I had heard that Oral-B mint floss contained gluten. I switched to Tom's of Maine, which is gluten-free.

best wishes,

kathleen

celiac3270 Collaborator

Thank you, Kathleen....some good information. My grandparents live in Stamford, CT!...I don't think I'll end up changing dentists, but it wouldn't be too inconvenient....after all, you only see the dentist every six months and I go see my grandparents at least that frequently so I wouldn't even have to make a special trip.... :)

Thanks for the floss brand....the dentist kept telling me to floss, but, of course, I wasn't going to chance the gluten....and I didn't care enough to call the company (lol).......good to know which brands are gluten-free.

Richard, I think that although I didn't have a reaction, I was poisoned at my last visit. First off, he used floss...I knew immediately that he shouldn't have, but he just did it really quickly.... :( second, there was something mint in there.....I think it was something he put in my mouth before he gave me the shot :( third, I didn't get sick from it, which is good :D , although it is bad that my intestines were possibly damaged.

I'm not going to let this happen again.....Next time I'm gonna take charge!.....lay out the no-floss rules, etc. and make sure he listens. Thanks for all the info.

-celiac3270

judy04 Rookie

Hi celiac3270,

I agree with Kathleen about educating our Dentists and Doctors

about Celiac because they obviously know very little and

they see patients first and if they knew maybe the kids

and adults could be diagnosed before 11 years of suffering.

I would hate to have a child suffer the way I did with

tooth pain, enamel defects, I had to have my teeth capped

as a teenager.My dentist knew nothing about Celiac, had

recently retired from the Air Force. At least he knows now.

My M.D. is very easy going and doesn't mind if I pass

along info, he ususally says "I didn't know that."

I've worked with doctors all my life and i know some

would resent advice,even a nurse's, but those are few and

far between.

I like the idea that Demidge had about leaving fliers

at supermarkets, places of employment, doctors offices,etc.

This is something I am thinking about. We have to get the

message out to stop the suffering and to advance the idea

of gluten-free restaurants and more mainstream foods available.

Another thing that upsets me is reading that people don't

have health insurance to get tested, but that is a whole

other topic, sorry to be ranting tonight...

dkmb Newbie

Has anyone heard that if the gloves dentists use are powdered, it is possible that the powder contains gluten? I seem to have read it somewhere, but am unable to find the source.

I agree about educating medical professionals etc. about celiac disease. My granddaughter who is 6 has had caps on her front teeth for over 2 years. This happened before she was diagnosed with celiac disease. The dentist never mentioned checking out the cause behind the fact that the enamel was coming off the teeth.

DK

celiac3270 Collaborator

A good point.....I always thought about that when I used those gloves while dissecting brains and eyes in science....yuck....not humans, though :D .

Anyway, my dentist doesn't use those gloves....I don't know if it would've been bad, but he doesn't use them......so in my case, it doesn't really matter, I guess.

Archived