This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Massage

lindalee

lindalee Enthusiast

Had a one hour and a half hour massage today. She said my neck was out of alignment. Said she got it back in alignment. She said my hands have a lot of ACID in them and wanted to know if I worked them alot (which I don't). She also said my INTER not outer calf muscles were tight and my feet were the worst she had ever massaged. She wanted to know if I had had an injury. I told her just ankle weakness from cheering ages ago and fell off the steps about 8 years ago when a client passed away was on crutches briefly. She said it might be (I think) fascitis plantar fascitis. When she worked them it was a burning feeling around the ankles and feet. The only thing we could figure was me running up and down the stairs all the time. I live in a 4 story unit. I have a high instep. Only thing I can think of is to wear lace ups :( (normaly wear them inside in the winter-fllip flops in summer). Usually when I go they just get the knots out and I feel like I'm in GOOD shape. :P Now I am wondering if this has to do with being sick from the gluten and past stresses. Heading to an epson salt soak ;);):P ...Does anyone know about any of this? Going to a reunion tomorrow night and wanted to feel Good. Thanks for letting me go on. LindaLee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Well I had plantar faciitis about 5 or 6 years ago in both feet. It was very painful. Cortisone shots didn't help at all, but resting them as much as possible and wearing orthotics definitely made a difference. At the time I asked what could have caused the injury and the podiatrist said that just about anything could cause it...jumping, stepping on a rock, etc, etc. In my case I think it was because I had put on about 10 pounds and decided the best way to take it off was to do a lot of jumping exercises after having been really sedentary for a while. If you do have plantar faciitis, it is an inflammation of the tendons, so resting as much as you can, icing it and taking some antiinflamatories if you can might help. You also might want to see a podiatrist if you can. I bought custom orthotics, but they were expensive...supporting the arch is really important.

lindalee Enthusiast
Well I had plantar faciitis about 5 or 6 years ago in both feet. It was very painful. Cortisone shots didn't help at all, but resting them as much as possible and wearing orthotics definitely made a difference. At the time I asked what could have caused the injury and the podiatrist said that just about anything could cause it...jumping, stepping on a rock, etc, etc. In my case I think it was because I had put on about 10 pounds and decided the best way to take it off was to do a lot of jumping exercises after having been really sedentary for a while. If you do have plantar faciitis, it is an inflammation of the tendons, so resting as much as you can, icing it and taking some antiinflamatories if you can might help. You also might want to see a podiatrist if you can. I bought custom orthotics, but they were expensive...supporting the arch is really important.

Thanks Donna. The thing is they don't hurt..I did kinda fall off a rock on the beach last summer playing with the kids..? Do they make supporting flip flops :) I haven't been as active as usual the past year-kinda taking it easy and not pushing myself... One thing I did get out of the habit of those epson soaks. I just took one and do feel much better. I do take noni and fish oil and flax oil. I'm not familar with acid in the hands? Thanks,LL

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I just got a massage as well. I was having yeast die-off symptoms and thought it might speed up my recovery. My gal said that the majority of the pain I felt and the stuff she felt was a slow lymph system. She suggested the Epsom salts. I don't know if you're massage person was old school or new school - but there could be other reasons your feet were trouble - Reflexology type stuff. Usually, my feet hurt worst around the heels, which represent the intestines. This time, it was my lungs/chest area - that was odd for me, but I have been coughing and stuff too.

Anyway, I hope she didn't make you feel too negative...that is not supposed to be part of massage. You might consider a more supportive and positive person - even if you do have things you need to work on, those should be brought to your attention in a way that makes you feel powerful, not sick.

Anyway, I hope the massage at least made you feel better. I plan to go back. Mine hurt, but I do think that it might help release toxins I"m storing up in my muscles. I've been getting leg aches where I didn't used to - and I really think I am just releasing junk (though, I have had to double check I'm getting enough calories/carbs too).

Wow, I'm a blabber mouth today. Sorry to rattle on. Hope all is well. Drink lots of water.

lindalee Enthusiast
I just got a massage as well. I was having yeast die-off symptoms and thought it might speed up my recovery. My gal said that the majority of the pain I felt and the stuff she felt was a slow lymph system. She suggested the Epsom salts. I don't know if you're massage person was old school or new school - but there could be other reasons your feet were trouble - Reflexology type stuff. Usually, my feet hurt worst around the heels, which represent the intestines. This time, it was my lungs/chest area - that was odd for me, but I have been coughing and stuff too.

Anyway, I hope she didn't make you feel too negative...that is not supposed to be part of massage. You might consider a more supportive and positive person - even if you do have things you need to work on, those should be brought to your attention in a way that makes you feel powerful, not sick.

Anyway, I hope the massage at least made you feel better. I plan to go back. Mine hurt, but I do think that it might help release toxins I"m storing up in my muscles. I've been getting leg aches where I didn't used to - and I really think I am just releasing junk (though, I have had to double check I'm getting enough calories/carbs too).

Wow, I'm a blabber mouth today. Sorry to rattle on. Hope all is well. Drink lots of water.

Believe me I was long overdue. I don't think she was really into reflexology. I have 2 knots/bumps one on each heel ( I think from wearing those pumps years ago) so I wear backless shoes. I was so sore after I didn't walk the beach tonight. Drinking lots of water. Hope you get all those toxins out and your lymph system is is good shape. I plan to go back in 2 weeks and get all these little knots out. LL

dlp252 Apprentice
Thanks Donna. The thing is they don't hurt..I did kinda fall off a rock on the beach last summer playing with the kids..? Do they make supporting flip flops :) I haven't been as active as usual the past year-kinda taking it easy and not pushing myself... One thing I did get out of the habit of those epson soaks. I just took one and do feel much better. I do take noni and fish oil and flax oil. I'm not familar with acid in the hands? Thanks,LL

PF hurts a lot, so you're probably safe there...when I first got it my feet were very stiff especially first thing in the morning...there wasn't a lot of pain then. It sounds like you're doing the good things. I've not heard of the acid in the hands either.

On another note...I tend to get 1 hours massages about every three weeks, and I've never had them tell me anything like what yours told you, lol. I know that some of the therapists where I go do reflexology and years ago had that done...they can tell a whole bunch from your feet...but I agree, they usually tell you in a much more positive way, lol. Oh, and my therapist always recommends lot of water and epsom soaks after massages. :D

lindalee Enthusiast
PF hurts a lot, so you're probably safe there...when I first got it my feet were very stiff especially first thing in the morning...there wasn't a lot of pain then. It sounds like you're doing the good things. I've not heard of the acid in the hands either.

On another note...I tend to get 1 hours massages about every three weeks, and I've never had them tell me anything like what yours told you, lol. I know that some of the therapists where I go do reflexology and years ago had that done...they can tell a whole bunch from your feet...but I agree, they usually tell you in a much more positive way, lol. Oh, and my therapist always recommends lot of water and epsom soaks after massages. :D

Thanks Donna, she said to fill a plastic coke bottle , fill w/ water, freeze, roll feet on bottle 5 min each foot 2xa day and stretch calves 2x a day-hold 30 sec. ea. and to do more stretching. I'm going to do more soaks and drink more water( have been thirsty alot). LL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
Thanks Donna, she said to fill a plastic coke bottle , fill w/ water, freeze, roll feet on bottle 5 min each foot 2xa day and stretch calves 2x a day-hold 30 sec. ea. and to do more stretching. I'm going to do more soaks and drink more water( have been thirsty alot). LL

Yes, I've heard the frozen coke bottle recommendation before too from other people. Drinkikng losts of water and doing epsom soaks will help flush out the toxins.

eKatherine Rookie
Had a one hour and a half hour massage today. She said my neck was out of alignment. Said she got it back in alignment. She said my hands have a lot of ACID in them and wanted to know if I worked them alot (which I don't). She also said my INTER not outer calf muscles were tight and my feet were the worst she had ever massaged. She wanted to know if I had had an injury. I told her just ankle weakness from cheering ages ago and fell off the steps about 8 years ago when a client passed away was on crutches briefly. She said it might be (I think) fascitis plantar fascitis. When she worked them it was a burning feeling around the ankles and feet. The only thing we could figure was me running up and down the stairs all the time. I live in a 4 story unit. I have a high instep. Only thing I can think of is to wear lace ups :( (normaly wear them inside in the winter-fllip flops in summer). Usually when I go they just get the knots out and I feel like I'm in GOOD shape. :P Now I am wondering if this has to do with being sick from the gluten and past stresses. Heading to an epson salt soak ;);):P ...Does anyone know about any of this? Going to a reunion tomorrow night and wanted to feel Good. Thanks for letting me go on. LindaLee

It sounds like she's mixing massage with pseudomedical mumbo jumbo. She realigned your neck? If that really needed to be done, she should have sent you to an orthopedic neurologist. Acid in your hands from use? No.

I would not feel comfortable with a massage therapist who thought she was practicing medicine.

Guest nini

ok, I AM a massage therapist and I don't like to badmouth other therapists, BUT the way she went about telling you this stuff is called going "OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF PRACTICE" and is just plain wrong. She is NOT a chiropractor and cannot adjust your neck... sure she may have been able to get the muscles to relax enough to let the neck self adjust, but if she forced the adjustment that is WRONG. I've NEVER heard of acid in the hands from working them... I'm confused... I don't know what on earth she meant.... Oh and if she thought you have plantar fascitis, she should have referred you to a podiatrist... it is not up to her to dx. She either has been doing this so long she has an elevated sense of who she is as a therapist, or she's new at it and knows just enough to be dangerous.

If I see someone who has a LOT of stuff going on, the last thing I want to do is make them feel worse. My goal is to reassure them that what is going on in their body is VERY NORMAL and many people get (whatever said symptom is) and then I work to help their body, mind and spirit to relax and enjoy the session.

my advice would be to not go back to that girl... find someone else that is highly reccommended, preferrably someone who is Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, and relax in a nice warm bath with Epsom Salts and know that you are normal and if your feet continue to bother you, go see a podiatrist. I had plantar fascitis and it was PAINFUL!!! I had to get cortisone shots in my foot and soaked my feet in a foot bath with ice cubes... massage can help but cannot cure it.

I'm so sorry that she made you feel worse about your health, the others are right, you should have walked out of the massage feeling lighter and empowered about your health, not the other way around. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} and if you were near me I'd give you a great massage!

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks Katherine...

lindalee Enthusiast
ok, I AM a massage therapist and I don't like to badmouth other therapists, BUT the way she went about telling you this stuff is called going "OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF PRACTICE" and is just plain wrong. She is NOT a chiropractor and cannot adjust your neck... sure she may have been able to get the muscles to relax enough to let the neck self adjust, but if she forced the adjustment that is WRONG. I've NEVER heard of acid in the hands from working them... I'm confused... I don't know what on earth she meant.... Oh and if she thought you have plantar fascitis, she should have referred you to a podiatrist... it is not up to her to dx. She either has been doing this so long she has an elevated sense of who she is as a therapist, or she's new at it and knows just enough to be dangerous.

If I see someone who has a LOT of stuff going on, the last thing I want to do is make them feel worse. My goal is to reassure them that what is going on in their body is VERY NORMAL and many people get (whatever said symptom is) and then I work to help their body, mind and spirit to relax and enjoy the session.

my advice would be to not go back to that girl... find someone else that is highly reccommended, preferrably someone who is Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, and relax in a nice warm bath with Epsom Salts and know that you are normal and if your feet continue to bother you, go see a podiatrist. I had plantar fascitis and it was PAINFUL!!! I had to get cortisone shots in my foot and soaked my feet in a foot bath with ice cubes... massage can help but cannot cure it.

I'm so sorry that she made you feel worse about your health, the others are right, you should have walked out of the massage feeling lighter and empowered about your health, not the other way around. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} and if you were near me I'd give you a great massage!

Hi Nini, I appreciate that. I don't know if she is certified or not. I have been going to this massage school for awhile. A friend of mine told me last night she went to Dillards and got a STONE massage she really liked. Most people say where not WHO to go to. (Back to researching... :huh: ) Hope all is well with you! Thanks for your professional advise -boy do I wish I were near you!!! Take care, LL

eleep Enthusiast

Was she a student? That could explain her bad bedside manner.

lindalee Enthusiast
Was she a student? That could explain her bad bedside manner.

No she was an instructor. Said the wasn't sure why my inter muscles of my calves vs the outer muscles were so weak( I believe that is what she said) - said she would have to research that. I don't think she was trying to make me feel bad but telling me about what she found. The past 5 months I have eliminated quite a bit from my diet and have been somewhat on a healing diet-no grains, beans, nightshades, corn( not good on that one-love tostitos), dairy except sour cream, yogurt and cream cheese.....probably a lot of toxins are trying to get out....Feel better now since I have had 2 epson salt soaks. LL

Guest nini

where are u at?

lindalee Enthusiast
where are u at?

Va. Beach, Va. I am still achey in the legs and shoulders. Legs are the worst. I've been doing the epson salt baths and drinking water. Do you think a gentle massage would help? The last one was hard. Usually that doesn't bother me but it was about 8 months since the last one. Plus, it was a rough year. LL

Guest nini

yep, gentle massage would help, so would resting and alternating ice packs with hot packs... (contrast therapy)...

I had a massage last night and I'm feeling a little sore today but I expected it. I was REALLY sore before the massage and she really worked me over! But it's all good. I've been a little out of it all day and even burned my hand on the oven and then turned around and slammed my little pinkie toe into the table... (I think it's broken)

lindalee Enthusiast
yep, gentle massage would help, so would resting and alternating ice packs with hot packs... (contrast therapy)...

I had a massage last night and I'm feeling a little sore today but I expected it. I was REALLY sore before the massage and she really worked me over! But it's all good. I've been a little out of it all day and even burned my hand on the oven and then turned around and slammed my little pinkie toe into the table... (I think it's broken)

Have been resting..felt like I had the flu in my legs...and tired-maybe I got glutened.. Sure hope you didn't break that toe and take care of yourself. Maybe I'll get that massage. Glad your back!!! LL

Guest nini
Have been resting..felt like I had the flu in my legs...and tired-maybe I got glutened.. Sure hope you didn't break that toe and take care of yourself. Maybe I'll get that massage. Glad your back!!! LL

glad I'm back too!

Archived