This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf But Fatigued..

solarbound27

solarbound27 Newbie

My wife has been gluten free for a little over a month now. For the last couple of weeks she has been feeling a little sick after eating, as well as extremely fatigued in the afternoon and evenings. While she has been free of gluten, she has not cut out dairy. She is taking a pretty good multi vitamin 3 times a day from a distributor/manufacture called True Hope out of Canada. I know her iron levels have been low in the past and I assume that this still might be the case. Anyway, we are both very optimistic that the remaining symptoms (fatigue and the mild sickness) are simply part of the healing process. Is there anyone else who has, or has had similar symptoms throughout their transition from a gluten to non-gluten diet? We simply want to know if it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I didn't have any trouble eating but I was fatigued for months and months. It was probably 10-12 months before I fewlt "normal" again. Probably 4-5 months before I could do anything but watch TV after a day of work.

richard

flagbabyds Collaborator

THE Healing process takes a long time and if you cut dairy out of her diet for a while it couldn't really hurt that much. See if she feels better without dairy and then if she does keep it out of her diet but if she doesn't and it is a while later go back to your GI doc and see what they have to say she could have other food allergies or another autoimmune disorder.

burdee Enthusiast

I've been gluten free 11 weeks and dairy free 5 days. I felt a little more energetic when I went gluten-free (possibly because less pain made me feel more like moving around). However, I really noticed a big resurgence of energy when I cut out dairy. Even when I don't get enough sleep (5-6 hours, rather than my usual 8 hours), my MIND is still awake. I don't feel foggy and overwhelmed like I did when I was consuming dairy. I recently received my Enterolab results which said I had gluten AND casein antibodies, so I will keep avoiding both. Less pain seems to give me more physical energy, but no fogginess makes me mentally alert and FEEL energetic all over. :D

BURDEE

Guest gillian502

I felt worse during my first 4 months gluten-free than at any other time in my life. I'm surprised I was even able to hang in there and stay on this diet, but I was very positive for celiac disease and knew I had to try to stay gluten-free to save my own life. After about 4 months, temporarily cutting out dairy, and adding more protein, I felt a little better. After 10 months gluten-free, I still can't say I feel normal on this diet, but I'm better than I was at this time last year, and that's at least something!

ezrab12 Newbie

Hi All,

Can you please let me know what the enterolab test is. I have had the blood tests gor Gluten levels but is that what it is called? or is this something different. I have been on a gluten-free diet since April. My doc took blood tests at the ensd of July and he said everything had dropped by half and positives were negative now but i still feel like crap with numbness and tingling in my arms , hands, legs, feet and sometimes the glands under my ears swell and are painful. If there is another blood test I can take let me know and what is Casein.

Thannks,

Ezrab12

Guest jhmom

Enterolab is a lab run by Dr. Fine, which has Celiac too. It is a stool panel test which is more sensitive than blood and a more accurate way of testing. You can visit their website at Open Original Shared Link

I hope you find the answers you are looking for :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dana-g Newbie

Ezrab 12, are these new symptoms, or the same ones you had when you were eating gluten? Did they just not go away? Casein is a protein found in milk. Are you having any gastro symptoms? If so, you may want to avoid dairy while your gut is healing; often, celiacs find that helpful for a while. Are you the one who also posted about the possible corn allergy, too? Because if you are, you seem to be having enough stuff going on that you may want to keep a food diary. Write down what you eat, when, and any symptoms and when they occur. It is not unusual to "feel like crap" after just a few gluten-free months, unfortunately. I found that it helped to keep my diet as simple as possible at first. Not very exciting, but not as many things to react to, either. Hope you get some relief soon, and keep posting questions--the people here are very helpful and somebody is bound to come up with something useful for you. Take care!

dana-g Newbie

Ezrab (I like that name!) I just found that corn allergy post and it wasn't you, but you may want to do the diary anyway--it really helps give you some clarity. I remember feeling really fuzzy in the head when I was getting the gluten out! Good luck.

tabbiea Newbie

I've been diagnosed for over 5 years. My major sumptom prior to diagnosis was fatigue--not bowel trouble-- but intractable debilitating fatigue. Three days on the gluten-free diet and I work up. It was amazing. Now I have CFS in addition to Celiac Disease but I did have a couple years where I was "normal". Stay on the diet. Make sure you ARE on the diet. Wheat and gluten are everywhere! You must be extremely careful about your diet.

Archived