This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A gluten-free Week On A Ranch In The West Anyone?

Nevadan

Nevadan Contributor

My wife and I recently returned from an extremely enjoyable gluten-free week on a guest ranch in Wyoming, actually on the WY/CO border between Laramie, WY and Ft. Collins, CO. The owners of the ranch, a mother-daughter combo are both celiac and devote one week per month to gluten-free clientel. We found this to be a really great experience on an authentic western ranch - been in the family since early 1900's and currently raises beefalo (buffalo/cow mix) and horses. There was plenty of horseback riding including excellent basic instruction for those new to horses (that's me), hiking, and mtn climbing for the more ambitious. This is not the typical "dude ranch" with all the phony "western exerience"; this is the real thing, very rustic and extremely friendly. We felt like we had spent a week visiting friends. It's a great place for those interested in experiencing ranch life in the real West including families with children interested in horses - and it's gluten-free!

You can check out their website: Open Original Shared Link Also feel free to PM me for additional details.

George

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beaglemania Rookie

I've heard of that place. I'd love to go.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I dream of opening such a place in Montana one day in the next five years. I'll check it out.

p.s. I don't live in Montana right now.

dlp252 Apprentice
My wife and I recently returned from an extremely enjoyable gluten-free week on a guest ranch in Wyoming, actually on the WY/CO border between Laramie, WY and Ft. Collins, CO. The owners of the ranch, a mother-daughter combo are both celiac and devote one week per month to gluten-free clientel. We found this to be a really great experience on an authentic western ranch - been in the family since early 1900's and currently raises beefalo (buffalo/cow mix) and horses. There was plenty of horseback riding including excellent basic instruction for those new to horses (that's me), hiking, and mtn climbing for the more ambitious. This is not the typical "dude ranch" with all the phony "western exerience"; this is the real thing, very rustic and extremely friendly. We felt like we had spent a week visiting friends. It's a great place for those interested in experiencing ranch life in the real West including families with children interested in horses - and it's gluten-free!

You can check out their website: Open Original Shared Link Also feel free to PM me for additional details.

George

Sounds wonderful, thanks for the link!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I"m afraid of horses, but would still LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to this place. Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Turtle Enthusiast

AWESOME!! Time to start saving my pennies so I can go one day!! Thanks so much for sharing!

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for sharing...sounds like a great trip! Pictures look beautiful! Anything else you did?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nevadan Contributor

A couple of responses:

Susan,

The ranch has 7,000 acres so hiking is vitually unlimited. Even if you just hang around the house the scenery is outstanding and the hospitality is hard to beat. It's a very relaxing place. There was a family who were there for the week also and the father had had nothing but bad horse experiences and only came because of the wife and kids. After some very good basic instruction in horsemanship, the father ended up enjoying the riding as much as the rest of the family.

Jenvan,

Our trip was for two weeks. First we did the 2 Bars 7 ranch for a week, then went to Cheyene for the opening of their Frontier Days rodeo for one day. Then on to Cody, WY where we stayed for 3 days doing some extremely beautiful loop drives around the area but spent the most time in the Buffalo Bill History Center, a really interesting place if you have any interest in the history of the Plains and Rockies. Then on to Big Sky, MT for a couple of days via Yellowstone. After Big Sky we headed for home (Reno, NV) back thru Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, Idaho Falls, ID, Twin Falls, ID, Jackpot, NV, and home. We had a great time.

George

Lymetoo Contributor

Wow....sounds great!!

floridanative Community Regular

That sounds totally cool George! Glad you had such a great time and thanks for sharing. Next year is a 'lite' vacation year for us (meaning we'll be here in the states) so I found out about the only gluten-free B&B that only serves gluten-free food to everyone - Celiac or not. I've already booked our stay for next spring. Not only will I get gluten-free scones for breakfast (homemade) the host will tell us where to eat and what is safe for me to order - all at non chain places. Oh I'm so excited just thinking about it and it's 7 months away. It's the Chicken Paradise in San Antonio if anyone is interested. Dh is like why would you want to go there for vacation? I told him unless he wants to go to Spain instead he best let it go. Now he's excited too - lol!

whitball Explorer

your post made me so homesick! I am orginally from Buffalo, Wyoming, but lived in Laramie for several years before moving to Michigan in 1994. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Brought back the past for me and really made me want to go home. The whole area is beautiful. There are some awesome ranches in the Buffalo, Sheridan wyoming area, but not sure of the gluten free aspect of them. My mom still lives in Buffalo and hope that I can get out there this fall.

• 3 weeks later...
Swiss Newbie

When I follow your link www.2bar7.com I reach some PowerPC Linux etc homepage. What's wrong? Can anyone help me. I really would like to visit this page.

And to floridanative: What San Antonio are you talking about? TX?

Nevadan Contributor
When I follow your link www.2bar7.com I reach some PowerPC Linux etc homepage. What's wrong? Can anyone help me. I really would like to visit this page.

And to floridanative: What San Antonio are you talking about? TX?

Looks like I did a typo in my original post. The website address should be: Open Original Shared Link For some reason the link I first posted worked orginally but clearly not now. If all else fails you can give them a phone call and they will send you a brochure describing their guest ranch. Their phone #: 307-742-6072. Their snailmail address is P.O. Box 67, Tie Siding, WY 82084 should you prefer to write for the brochure.

(Edited 8/19/06 9:54am)

Swiss Newbie

It works now. Thanks for your help. Seems to be a really nice place.

Archived