This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mascara Brands gluten-free?

Guest Educator

Guest Educator

I have severe dry eye syndrom and just learned the mascara I use contains gluten. I have been using Clinique. Does anyone know a brand that is gluten free??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

The two I know of are Bare Escentuals (but beware: only the regular mascara is gluten-free) and Nars Cosmetics. Actually, all Nars products are gluten-free, including their facial care line. I just ordered some stuff from them. You can find both these lines at Sephora stores (or Sephora.com) or Nars has a direct site you can shop from (beware, though, that it is pricey, but I think it's worth it to guarentee gluten-free)--their site is narscosmetics.com.

Good luck!

Guest Educator
The two I know of are Bare Escentuals (but beware: only the regular mascara is gluten-free) and Nars Cosmetics. Actually, all Nars products are gluten-free, including their facial care line. I just ordered some stuff from them. You can find both these lines at Sephora stores (or Sephora.com) or Nars has a direct site you can shop from (beware, though, that it is pricey, but I think it's worth it to guarentee gluten-free)--their site is narscosmetics.com.

Good luck!

Thanks so much. They sell it at Miss Jackson's in Tulsa. Thanks again

jerseyangel Proficient

Smashbox Cosmetics and Ecco Bella Cosmetics are also gluten-free. (Other Ecco Bella products contain gluten, but their whole cosmetic line is gluten-free)

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I use Lancome Defincils but I've never checked to see if it's gluten free. To be honest I'm not in the habit of eating my mascara, I obviously don't rub my eyes when I have it on otherwise it would smudge, so it's not like I'm touching it. If I do happen to get any on my hands when I'm putting it on I would wash my hands regardless, so I'm not really sure why I would have to worry about my mascara being gluten free.

tiffjake Enthusiast

Mary Kay mascara is gluten free. I use the Ultimate Mascara. It is great.

oceangirl Collaborator
Mary Kay mascara is gluten free. I use the Ultimate Mascara. It is great.

Lancome Defencils IS gluten-free. I use it-no problems.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star
I use Lancome Defincils but I've never checked to see if it's gluten free. To be honest I'm not in the habit of eating my mascara, I obviously don't rub my eyes when I have it on otherwise it would smudge, so it's not like I'm touching it. If I do happen to get any on my hands when I'm putting it on I would wash my hands regardless, so I'm not really sure why I would have to worry about my mascara being gluten free.

I don't know too much about anatomy but aren't the sinuses of the ears, nose & throat interconnected and couldn't gluteny mascara flake into eyes and make it's way though sinuses into throat and into digestive track. Is this purpose of gluten-free mascara?

Or could it cause DH in eye? Or on eye lids?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You have mucous membranes in the lining of your eyes and gluten can cross the mucous membranes. This is in addition to the problems mentioned by Debmidge. IMHO anything that touches your body or can be inhaled needs to be gluten-free, not just your food.

Guest Educator
:blink: you know, I have never eaten my mascara either :unsure:, however it does flake off into the eye and with dry eye syndrom, I tend to have very itchy eyes and therefore my mascara does end up smugded and flaked off into my eye. And yes, nose, mouth, ears and throat are all connected. This I know from attending elementary school. As you can see, I have a multitude of health issues and having mascara with wheat in it flaking off into my eye with the severe drainage I have definity caused me problems. I also do not eat my laundry soap, bath soap, or lip stick. I made pies for a pie auction two weeks ago and ended up with a really bad case of DH. Just handling the pie crust caused me to break out. Everyone's sensitivity is different, so just because one does not eat their mascara does not mean it does not matter if it has gluten in it. Thanks for all the wonder brands you have all given me. I appreciate the helpful and non condisending comments.
oceangirl Collaborator
:blink: you know, I have never eaten my mascara either :unsure:, however it does flake off into the eye and with dry eye syndrom, I tend to have very itchy eyes and therefore my mascara does end up smugded and flaked off into my eye. And yes, nose, mouth, ears and throat are all connected. This I know from attending elementary school. As you can see, I have a multitude of health issues and having mascara with wheat in it flaking off into my eye with the severe drainage I have definity caused me problems. I also do not eat my laundry soap, bath soap, or lip stick. I made pies for a pie auction two weeks ago and ended up with a really bad case of DH. Just handling the pie crust caused me to break out. Everyone's sensitivity is different, so just because one does not eat their mascara does not mean it does not matter if it has gluten in it. Thanks for all the wonder brands you have all given me. I appreciate the helpful and non condisending comments.

Before I was gluten-free and quite sick, one of the multitudinous symptoms I had was an almost constant case of reddened eyes. I looked like I was high all the time. My mascara had gluten- I'm pretty sure it helped to switch as I don't seem to have that too much anymore.

Good luck!

lisa

mcle8232 Apprentice

I clicked on this topic because I bought some mascara 1 month ago that I thought would be gluten-free, and I reacted to it badly!!! Guess what... It was Clinique. I was so surprised, b/c with all of their hypoallergenic info on the product labels I thought it would be fine. Several people had recommended it. Wheat is nowhere to be found on the ingredients label.

Anyway - at the time of purchase I asked the saleslady if she could tell me which cosmetic items might contain wheat and she said she would definitely look into it and asked me for my phone #. Then she never called back. My guess is that she found out that she had sold me items that do in fact contain gluten. Either that or she never found the information.

I may try the Bare Escentuals or one of the others mentioned. I have done well with Mary Kay in the past.

tiffjake Enthusiast
I clicked on this topic because I bought some mascara 1 month ago that I thought would be gluten-free, and I reacted to it badly!!! Guess what... It was Clinique. I was so surprised, b/c with all of their hypoallergenic info on the product labels I thought it would be fine. Several people had recommended it. Wheat is nowhere to be found on the ingredients label.

Anyway - at the time of purchase I asked the saleslady if she could tell me which cosmetic items might contain wheat and she said she would definitely look into it and asked me for my phone #. Then she never called back. My guess is that she found out that she had sold me items that do in fact contain gluten. Either that or she never found the information.

I may try the Bare Escentuals or one of the others mentioned. I have done well with Mary Kay in the past.

I have NEVER had anyone at a counter tell me that their product had wheat in it, whether it did or not. I don't know if they were lying, or if they just didn't know (most often I think they just didn't know, and didn't bother to look). Thats why I use Mary Kay. They Consumer's Guide to Ingredients list all ingredients, and explain what the ingredient is FOR, what it does. I like that. Never got that from another company!

oceangirl Collaborator
I have NEVER had anyone at a counter tell me that their product had wheat in it, whether it did or not. I don't know if they were lying, or if they just didn't know (most often I think they just didn't know, and didn't bother to look). Thats why I use Mary Kay. They Consumer's Guide to Ingredients list all ingredients, and explain what the ingredient is FOR, what it does. I like that. Never got that from another company!

Luckily, the woman at the Lancome counter was a celiac sufferer. (It's everywhere!) I trusted that and it seems to be okay-if pricey! (I actually researched it first)

lisa

Lymetoo Contributor

What about Almay?

NancyKay Rookie
The two I know of are Bare Escentuals (but beware: only the regular mascara is gluten-free)

I've been using Bare Escentuals and it's the first make-up I can actually use without problems, especially mascara. Mascara, in the past, has itched, made me feel foggy, given me puffy eyes.... and I can't wait to wash my face and get it all off. I love their mascara. But now I'm confused. What is their regular mascara and what other kind do they have? I want to be sure that I get the right thing next time.

Here is the email I received back from Bare Escentuals:

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for contacting Bare Escentuals. All bareMinerals products

are gluten free. This includes bareMinerals foundation, all over face

colors, blushes, eye shadows, glimmers, glimpses, liner shadows, brow

minerals and body minerals. Many of our i.d. Bare Escentuals products

are also gluten free, including lip sticks, lip liners, lip glosses,

quicksticks, and mascara.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call us at the

number below.

B.E. Beautiful,

Mayra

Customer Contact Representative

Bare Escentuals

www.bareescentuals.com

jmengert Enthusiast

Oh, gosh, I can't remember the exact name, but I think it's the Big Tease Mascara. It clearly had wheat listed in the ingredients (twice, I believe). That's the only make-up product of theirs I've seen with wheat, but now I check their labels much more carefully, and frankly, I recently ordered make-up from NARS since they have no products whatsoever with gluten. I'm just a wee bit mistrustful of Bare Escentuals now.

• 2 years later...
Crayons574 Contributor
What about Almay?

I spoke to Almay customer service on the phone yesterday, and I was calling regarding makeup remover pads and eyeliner, and they said they could not guarantee it was gluten free. So...in the trash, just to be safe. <_<

brendygirl Community Regular

I use Cover Girl pink and green, but there are many formulas, so I READ THE LABEL to make sure it's the kind with shellac and not wheat protein.

I buy it when it's on sale 2 for the price of one.

• 2 years later...
snoopgirl Newbie

It's always good to fully understand any condition you have before make smart remarks. I suffer from dry eye syndrome as well and my eyes were constantly running and were red and puffy in the mornings. They started getting very dry and it go so bad I called it "my lizard skin". I thought it was allergies. After I started breaking out in hives I went to the dermo and found out I had dermatitis around my eyes. After reading other DH forums, I realized the Maybelline mascara I was wearing contained gluten (the top selling one with the pink barrel and green top). Bingo! No more issues! It's a new world. I used to look so tired and have circles under my eyes. The change was overnight! Thank you for your gluten-free suggestions!

sa1937 Community Regular

It's always good to fully understand any condition you have before make smart remarks. I suffer from dry eye syndrome as well and my eyes were constantly running and were red and puffy in the mornings. They started getting very dry and it go so bad I called it "my lizard skin". I thought it was allergies. After I started breaking out in hives I went to the dermo and found out I had dermatitis around my eyes. After reading other DH forums, I realized the Maybelline mascara I was wearing contained gluten (the top selling one with the pink barrel and green top). Bingo! No more issues! It's a new world. I used to look so tired and have circles under my eyes. The change was overnight! Thank you for your gluten-free suggestions!

Please note that you are replying to a very old post and things may have changed since 2006.

I also have dry eyes and use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara without issue. I've worn it for years and never had a problem with it. That said, I guess just because I can use it successfully, you may not be able to.

Please provide a credible source that says Maybelline mascara contains gluten.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Please note that you are replying to a very old post and things may have changed since 2006.

I also have dry eyes and use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara without issue. I've worn it for years and never had a problem with it. That said, I guess just because I can use it successfully, you may not be able to.

Please provide a credible source that says Maybelline mascara contains gluten.

Same here. That is the only mascara I use too although I don't wear it often. It may be something else that is being reacted to but I don't think it is gluten.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I get red itchy eyes. I always thought it was allergies. Now I'm not so sure. It could be an ingredient in my mascara?

The package from what I've been using is long gone, so I can't read it.

I had a new one in my make-up drawer and found it has tocopherol. That's one of those ingredients that doesn't sound harmful, but it's vitamin E, which they like to add to cosmetics/lotions. It can be sourced from wheat germ oil, or soy oil. Other food grade oils as well. I'm finding I'm reacting badly to soy lately, so I don't think I'll be using the new mascara I have here?

Gotta go shopping!

I don't spend a lot on my cosmetics, due to budget.

I'll look for the pink and green one Sylvia. I was thinking that was Maybelene brand?

sa1937 Community Regular

I get red itchy eyes. I always thought it was allergies. Now I'm not so sure. It could be an ingredient in my mascara?

The package from what I've been using is long gone, so I can't read it.

I had a new one in my make-up drawer and found it has tocopherol. That's one of those ingredients that doesn't sound harmful, but it's vitamin E, which they like to add to cosmetics/lotions. It can be sourced from wheat germ oil, or soy oil. Other food grade oils as well. I'm finding I'm reacting badly to soy lately, so I don't think I'll be using the new mascara I have here?

Gotta go shopping!

I don't spend a lot on my cosmetics, due to budget.

I'll look for the pink and green one Sylvia. I was thinking that was Maybelene brand?

Bottom line is that we can react to most anything. I think cosmetics are the most difficult to decipher.

Maybelline Great Lash is in a pink/green tube and places like Wally World have whole sections of Maybelline products. I've been using the kind that says BIG on the tube...has a different kind of brush. I need all the help I can get with my pale blond eyelashes. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Ditto from me! I also use Maybelline Great Lash when I "dress up" :lol: . I am lucky to have long eyelashes but I suffered from blepharitis before DX. Sore, dry, swollen &, itchy eyes and now, no problem.

My eyes are fine and I use this mascara.

I sincerely doubt it's any gluten you may be reacting to.

Archived