This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Arbys!

BRCoats

BRCoats Enthusiast

Hi all,

I just went to Arby's website and noticed that they are listing all sorts of items as gluten free! (I thought their beef was gluten-free and that's all). Even the Arby's sauce is listed as gluten-free. Can anyone share their experience with Arbys? Is there a lot of problems with cross contamination, etc?

If you haven't visited their website lately, you should give it a try. It's an awesome way to list what is gluten-free and what is not. Click the little arrow by the item, and it will give you the specific ingredients of that item. In other words, the roast beef sandwich is listed as having gluten, but if you click the arrow, it give you ingredients of the cheese, the roast beef, and the bun....and then tells you which of those items are gluten-free.

Anyway, please advise as to whether you think I should try this or not. I'm so sick of Wendy's I could puke. ;)

Thanks,

~Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

at one of our support group meetings there was a guy there from Arby's that said they were in the process of doing just that, I think it's great and just wanted to let you know that at least one person that was working on that particular thing was attending a support group meeting to learn more.

penguin Community Regular

I've eaten there and I got sick, but I think it was because of just having all that greasy meat and nothing else, not glutening.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Wonderful! I as well, am really getting tired of eating Wendy's...lol! It will be nice to have another option available when I don't want to cook :)

floridanative Community Regular

I was at the meeting nini refers to. The only doctor that was invited to attend to hear Dr. Rudert speak was the guy from Arby's. Our group invited maybe 60+ docs in the area and the guy who attended does not even see patients. I was very impressed with him but I know a lot about the owner of the Arby's in town (who owns more than anyone in the world) and it does not surprise me that they would jump on the bandwagon to increase sales, in every way. In any case it's a good thing if you like Arby's.

jennyj Collaborator

The Arby's near us will if you ask put your roast beef, chicken, etc. in a clear container and use clean tongs. I have only eaten there once and did not get sick. My celiac/crohn's freind eats there all the time and he doesn't have any problems.

BRCoats Enthusiast

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I feel pretty good about at least trying it now....as long as I have a few days of being able to be sick, just in case. :P

Arby's, here I come!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I saw the post, checked out the online menu today and decided what I would go and order!!

What an experience! ha

I got there and found out that my arby's doesnt' have the baked potatoes that are listed on the menu online. So that was out.........I got a grilled chickenbacon swiss minus the bun I also got a jamocha shake.

So I ordered my sandwich minus the bun. Told the kiddo that I have a food allergy. The guy stood there and stared at me. He said "I'm not sure we can do that" :lol: I just smiled. He went and asked the manager if that was ok. Manager said they would just put it into a plastic container. So the kid takes my money and I'm watching this lady in the kitchen make my sandwich. She puts my chicken into the microwave then grabs a handfull of wheat bread and lays it all out on the counter. Then takes my chicken out of the microwave (with the same gloved hands she just touched 20 pieces of wheat bread with) puts on the cheese and the bacon and seals up the container. I told the kid that I couldn't possibly eat that food, she just contaminated it with all of the wheat bread. Soooo she threw a fit, changed her gloves and made me another chicken sandwich B) I appologized for being "such a pain" but I didn't care to get sick.

I figure for $6.................I won't be going back for a chicken breast with some plastic tasting cheese on it. However, I might go back for the jamocha shake it was DELICIOUS!!

That was my arby's experience.........just ate like 15 min ago so I'll let ya know how I feel in a bit :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Arby's =Tummy Ache..........have already hit the bathroom...... :blink:

Guest nini
Arby's =Tummy Ache..........have already hit the bathroom...... :blink:

so sorry... I'm of the opinion that every time we have a not so good experience like this that we need to contact corporate and make them aware that while we appreciate the effort, there is still a long way to go in awareness... jmho

so sorry... I'm of the opinion that every time we have a not so good experience like this that we need to contact corporate and make them aware that while we appreciate the effort, there is still a long way to go in awareness... jmho

Already e-mailed them. Told them that if allergen/intollerance info is going to be provided then some sort of training should be provided for staff. I even had the chickey change gloves for me, and still am sick :blink: So far it's headache and a trip to the b-room.........grrrrrr Why do I have to be so gun-ho sometimes to try new things :P

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest nini

don't beat yourself up! I was getting anxious to do the same thing! If I only had the extra $$!! Glad I don't right now cos I can't afford any more sick days. Took enough time off after burning my hand over a week ago.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

For what its worth, I would advise against ordering chicken at these places.

1. Is the grill clean?

2. Marinades?

3. Clean tongsd/gloves?

4. Where do they keep the chicken? CC?

5. If they keep the chicken in those little "6-pans" where they just pick up a lid and place the chicken on bread, then the chance for CC is HUGE -- things can fall in the pan, crumbs can be everywhere and how is the chicken handled after it is grilled (if they are nuking it, then it can't be that great).

Conversely, the Arby's Roast beef is handled differently. They have the roast beef on the big spinning thing that slices the roast beef off of it and the cut meat goes right on the bread (its not heated up or nuked or whatever).

I always ask to talk to the manager at every Arby's I go to (its never crowded). I tell the manager about my "problem" and ask them to slice the beef and place it in a plastic container with lettuce and tomato (and use clean gloves).

I have never had a problem with the beef (of course, I am too "chicken" to try anything else -- pun intended...)

:)

kevsmom Contributor

I went into my local Arby's. I watched them make a roast beef sandwich. They wear gloves, pick up a roll, pick up beef and then weigh the sandwich. Even if they changed their gloves, the beef would already be contaminated from other rolls. I turned around and walked out.

Be careful.

Ciindy

plantime Contributor

I only want the Arby's sauce. Just the sauce! I'll get my own roast beef somewhere else, thank you, just GIVE ME THE SAUCE!! :D:D:D

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I get their roast beef all the time and haven't had any problems with it...it's so good...i enjoy a good roast beef sandwhich from time to time...i've had some of their sauces and their milkshakes too...there aren't many arbys around me anymore though i'm in chick-fil-a and bojangles country....and let me tell you what boooooooy do i miss those biscuits! however, whole foods has these buscuits that i just discovered that heated with butter or jelly, Delicious :)

GeneC Newbie
I only want the Arby's sauce. Just the sauce! I'll get my own roast beef somewhere else, thank you, just GIVE ME THE SAUCE!! :D:D:D

Arby's used to sell their bottled sauce separately. After I read it was gluten-free, I went in to purchase some and found they no longer sell it as a separate item. Counter girl was totally perplexed by my question, but got a guy to charge me for the price of 4 cheddar cups ($2.00) (? guess thats extra cheese sauce for something ?) and then instead gave me a bag with about 3 handfuls of of BBQ sauce packets...great for travelling too.

jrozsa Newbie

Their Barbeque sauce is Gluten-Free as well (different from the Arby's Sauce) so I always have to pick up a few packets of that for my 11 year old. She loves to dip her fries in the Arby's BBQ sauce, so it is always two stops for her since she can't have their fries. One at Arby's for a box of roast beef, plus the BBQ sauce, and then again at Wendy's for some fries to dip in the sauce. I'm glad they are side by side near our house!

Archived