This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin E?

NancyKay

NancyKay Rookie

What can you wonderful people tell me about vitamin E? It appears that it is in so many things and I think I'm getting glutened from it. I had a totally gluten-free food day yesterday and then went to bed and itched and itched. I woke up with an "Aha!" this morning and pulled out the sun block and the Purell hand sanitizer - both contain vitamin E, and I am assuming that this was the culprit.

My adult son is finding that gluten gives him asthma and breathing problems, so has started the gluten-free diet with me with miraculous results... But this week we wondered if it may be the vitamin E in his shaving cream, lip balm and a few other products he uses that kick up the asthma again.

I'd love to hear from you about issues with vitamin E and your experiences. Is most vitamin E from wheat germ oil? Thanks!

Nancy

Olympia, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I just googled vitamin E, as I had no clue where they get the supplement form of it. And your assumption that it's made from wheat germ oil may very well be correct, as it appears to have more vitamin E than anything else they list!

Check this link: Open Original Shared Link

I would never have thought that vitamin E in lotions, shaving creme etc. could be a problem! Of course, I avoid anything that says it has wheat germ oil. Maybe you need to call those manufacturers to find out where their vitamin E comes from.

I guess the best thing to do is to replace all your personal care products that contain vitamin E. How annoying. I better check mine as well.

NancyKay Rookie

Ursula, I noticed that you have asthma listed in your signature. Have you found some relief from it on the gluten-free diet? I'm curious because of the improivement my son sees.

That site is one I found last night when searching about sources of Vitamin E. I wonder if companies will be helpful and tell me what their source of vitamin E is.... seems like the cheapest and most potent source is going to be wheat germ oil. :(

Nancy

Guest Robbin

Wow, this is an eye-opener. I never thought of this. This could explain a lot of problems people have with vitamins. Thank you so much for this thread. :) Welcome to the forum, btw and I am so happy for your son's improvement!! That is wonderful.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula, I noticed that you have asthma listed in your signature. Have you found some relief from it on the gluten-free diet? I'm curious because of the improivement my son sees.

That site is one I found last night when searching about sources of Vitamin E. I wonder if companies will be helpful and tell me what their source of vitamin E is.... seems like the cheapest and most potent source is going to be wheat germ oil. :(

Nancy

Nancy, I had severe asthma as a child, not too bad for many years, almost died about 12 years ago from a severe attack, and then much better again. But I've found that since gluten, lectin and salicylate free, the asthma is much improved.

When I was testing the lectins, I found after trying egg one night, I was wheezing the next morning! So, there are definitely things other than gluten (which is a lectin, by the way) that will cause asthma.

Some obvious triggers have always been (and still are) cats and dogs, mold, dust and tobacco smoke. And since there are mold spores in humid air, and dust in fog, I will have problems when it's hot and humid or foggy. That's why my air conditioner is a life saver for me in the summer (if only my husband would care enough to remember that, and not turn off the air conditioner every time I turn my back :angry: ).

justjane Rookie

I have pretty serious asthma. Before I went gluten free earlier this year I kept getting asthma attacks and my throat felt like it was swelling up. I thought it was just my nerves because it was during the end of school and I had a bunch of tests, then I went home for the summer and thought it must have been the city air... Nope, as soon as I went gluten-free my throat went down and I'm breathing better. Good to hear your son is doing well.

eKatherine Rookie

I use NOW brand 400 unit d-alpha Tocopheryl. The following information is on the label:

Vitamin E. Other ingredients: Vegetable Oil Concentrate, Gelatin, Glycerin and Water. Contains soy derivatives.

Contains only 100% natural Vitamin E.

Contains no wheat, corn, milk, sugar, salt, yeast, gluten, preservatives, chemical additives or colors.

What does the label on yours say?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Calona Newbie
I use NOW brand 400 unit d-alpha Tocopheryl. The following information is on the label:

What does the label on yours say?

Hi, funny thing I thought the Vit E was giving me reactions too!!! But I just read my vit E bottle and its nope, Jamieson is the brand,it says gluten free. Now I'm thinking its the toothpaste I used, I ran out of my normal stuff and used the left over from some months ago when I wasn't gluten free. Could someone point me in the direction of personal care products safe list.? Thanks Patricia :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

It saying gluten free may not mean anything. Because in Europe they claim that there is no gluten in wheat germ oil or wheat starch, and I am sure that belief is widespread here, too, your vitamin E may still be made from wheat germ oil!

And d-alpha Tocopheryl is the natural form of vitamin E, which is very likely derived from wheat germ oil.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
What can you wonderful people tell me about vitamin E?

Do you have intorence/allergies to SOY? Or other things your might not have identified yet?

I have found we have to read deeper into the labels then you might think. They hide things in lab names to confuse us.

Ursula -- your baby is too cute for words.

queenofhearts Explorer

It was my understanding that often Vitamin E is actually derived from soy, so a product could have it & still be gluten-free-- but maybe soy is also a problem?

Leah

• 2 years later...
newlyfoundglutener Newbie
It saying gluten free may not mean anything. Because in Europe they claim that there is no gluten in wheat germ oil or wheat starch, and I am sure that belief is widespread here, too, your vitamin E may still be made from wheat germ oil!

And d-alpha Tocopheryl is the natural form of vitamin E, which is very likely derived from wheat germ oil.

Hi Ursula,

I'm Tracy and new on the list. I noticed in your list of symptoms you mention Asperger's. My son has Asperger's and since I found out about my gluten difficulties, I am concerned that he may be having his mental issues because of gluten or other allergic reaction. (I have not officially been dx'd, but my doc told me to try an elimination diet [wheat first,didn't really work; then all gluten] and my symptoms subsided.) The problem is: he also has Oppositional Defiant Disorder as well as ADHD. We tried changing his diet as soon as we discovered his difficulties because he was only 6 when he was dx'd with ADHD and we didn't want to put his little body on anything if we didn't have to. But he was not cooperative (this was before we discovered the ODD and Asperger's).

I guess my question is: how did you convince yourself that you needed to change your diet? Because of his Asperger's our son's thought processes get in the way and he refuses to eat anything new. My biggest worry is that he usually only prefers things that have gluten in them: ramen noodles, chicken tenders with breading, spaghetti with no sauce. :blink: We had him eating some broccoli and corn on the cob at one time but he is now "over that." :(

I know I'm rambling. I'm sorry. I am really at a loss as to what to do with him. His behavior has recently gotten worse and I am beginning to theorize that his little body (yes, btw, he has always been under weight from birth, even though I nursed the @%#$ out of him! :P ) is finally "fed up" with the gluten levels in his body.

Interesting side note: his little brother (who just turned 6 on Feb 10) doesn't seem to have the same issues at all. He eats fairly normally and doesn't display the same behaviors his brother does. Big brother was "different" from birth.

So, have any tips?

Thank you so much.

Tracy from GA, U.S.A.

ang1e0251 Contributor

My biggest worry is that he usually only prefers things that have gluten in them: ramen noodles, chicken tenders with breading, spaghetti with no sauce. :blink: We had him eating some broccoli and corn on the cob at one time but he is now "over that." :(

I can't help you with the ramen noodles although there are some rice noodle dishes out there. They definately look different than ramen so I don't know if he would accept them. But the breaded chicken you can buy gluten-free. I never have. I make my own breaded with gluten-free instant potato flakes. Spaghetti can be bought in all corn flour or rice flour, I buy that at Walmart. It's more expensive but the Tinkyada brand is the absolute best tasting gluten-free pasta. I don't think he would notice the difference if you changed him to gluten-free pasta.

There is a link with the opiate part of the brain and gluten for some. The way I understand it, some really feel withdrawals coming off gluten. This also points to why many actually crave gluten over anything else. Anyone else out there that can shed more light on gluten and Asperger's?

hermitgirl Contributor

Vitamin E can be derived from multiple vegetables and grains. Wheat is the cheapest and most accesible. Many cosmetic/skincare/haircare companies list their source of vitamin E, but not all do. When in doubt, call the company. Ask what their source for Vitamin E and tocopherol acetate are. I have found in every case of using a company that is thorough in their labeling, that tocopherol acetate always comes from wheat. They put it in parenthasees right after t.a. I will tell you though, that I don't use drugstore products for my hair, skin or makeup. Personal preferance on that. I am sure that there are many drugstore products that don't hide their sources. They just are not required by law list them at this time.

When in doubt, call the company.

• 9 months later...
adnas Newbie
I'd love to hear from you about issues with vitamin E and your experiences. Is most vitamin E from wheat germ oil? Thanks!

Nancy

Olympia, WA

Hi Everyone;

I have researched this issue because I had suspicions about Vitamin E as well. Here is the story: There are two classes of Vitamin E, Tocotrienols and Tocopherols; they are present in some plants. They are found in palm oil extracted from palm fruits, rice, wheat germ, oat and barley. Since Vitamin E is everywhere, you'll have to be really careful to ensure that the products are truly gluten free. I noticed that Burt's Bees lip balm was bothering me and finally figured it out. I rarely see a label that lists the source of Vitamin E. You'll have to call the company or use products certified as gluten free.

SA

Knoxville, TN

• 6 years later...
hipretty Apprentice

It is true some E's are safe and some are from wheat germ. :huh:

As a kid I struggled with such dry sensitive skin issues, and in the winter I had patches on my face that were like burns as severe as scalding! PLUS,  I had asthma as well! Maybe I was Celiac all along, I don't know but Vitamin E, Vitamin E lotions and Vitamin E creams were always so soothing! :P

Years later, being gluten-free,  I tend to use straight oils like coconut, cocoa butter, grape seed & olive to stay safe.

I recently had surgery and I am now really itchy from the anesthesia. I Just sent the hubby out to walmart to pick up some vitamin e cream my mom used to use on me as a kid …..

this one:

Open Original Shared Link

It was so good and SO inexpensive,  it always comes 2 together at a time. But alas :wacko: hubby was on the ball and called me to tell me "no go!!!  it clearly says contains wheat germ oil!"At least that company clearly designated the source of their E!!!

Sorry to hear of your getting glutened NancyKay!

Can anyone here please share any safe Vitamin E products that they know of?

I know now that Winter is here (and I will never be able to use that cream again) I will be on the hunt for a reasonably priced E cream that has very few ingredients and is free of wheat germ. 

Good luck everyone searching for safe products! Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Safe Gluten Free New Year!!!! :)

Archived