This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Before Symptoms Went Away?

Guest jhmom

How long did it take after going GF for your GI symptoms to go away and you felt "normal" again?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EddieJP125 Explorer

i get cramps everyday w/o my meds, but if i maintain the diet and meds then i seem to be alright almost immediatly...just gotta stop cheating...someone wrote back to me that they don't get any symptoms too when they cheat, but is afraid of getting cancer...so i don't want to be put in further harmful situation...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tbell48 Newbie

I have been gluten-free since January 04. It took 3 days for things to change. The first two weeks I only ate veggies, and fruit, as I still couldn't tolerate meat. Then I started to introduce meat, breads and pasta and snacks into the diet.

I am 55 years old, and have extensive damage of a lifetime of eating gluten. Dr. said I would be one of the unforunate ones and it would probably by five years to repair all the damage, much will never repair itself, as some of my villa was shaved.

Last December, I couldn't tell you my name I had brain fog so bad, I could barely walk. I was bacially waiting to be called home!

I am so improved, I really didn't know how sick I was. I no longer am on any meds, and have very little pain in the joints and muscles.

For those who are not improving, I would suggest starting over with the basic diet, make sure your kitchen is gluten free. You can also develop other allergies after going gluten free-your Dr. should be running more tests to see if this is the case.

I have to add, it took 14 years of Cat scans, ultra-sounds, x-rays, blood tests, and numerous Doctors before I was diagnoised. I have been on so much medication over the years, I could start my own drug store. I was so depressed from Drs. telling me I was crazy, and was making up the pain in my head. Guess you know they all got letters from me-I tried to be nice!

I can't say I don't have reactions from time to time. Eating out is so dangerous, and prepared foods are just as bad. Sometimes I get a little down when I can't grab something to eat on the run, but, I never want to feel like I have for the last 14 years. You just have to plan ahead with Celiac. I try to set one day a week to prepare for the week ahead. I bake my breads and desserts, and plan my meals. Plus, I have a great support group here in town!

From a Celia who has had convulsions, anemia, big D, constipation, infertility, miscarriages, tumors and cysts, skin cancer, sinistitus, vertigo, Rhymitoid Arthritis, Degenerate Arthritis, severe headaches, poor vision, head tremors, early menopause, lose of strength, clumziness. Sure glad I am a postive person or I would never have gotten through this ordeal.

And remember, everything can't be related to Celiac. We will still get sick with other things. The diet isn't a cure all, just makes life easier, and may prevent cancers down the road, and give us a better life for now.

Just keep telling yourself, you can do this, and it works.

Have a great day, I plan on it.

T-Bell

LeeV Apprentice

HI, MY DAUGHTER'S BEEN GLUTEN FREE NOW ABOUT 2 MONTHS AND WAS DOING PRETTY GOOD, ALMOST "NORMAL". AFTER SEEING THE GASTRO HE SAID I COULD INTRODUCE MILK PRODUCTS AGAIN SLOWLY AND HAVE HER TAKE LACTAID TABLETS WHEN SHE DID. I DID THAT AND SHE GOT SICK AGAIN! WE ALSO WENT OUT TO LUNCH AND AFTER TALKING W/HEAD CHEF I WAS COMFORTABLE W/HER HAVING GRILLED PORK LOIN AND SALAD. SHE'S STILL NOT BACK TO "NORMAL". IT'S NOT WORTH IT GIVING HER CHEESE OR MILK RIGHT NOW OR EATING OUT AT RESTAURANTS THAT DON'T OFFER GLUTEN FREE MENUS!!

LEE

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Lee:

Lactaid (for the milk sugar lactose) doesn't protect against the milk protein CASEIN. I used lactaid for YEARS while my symptoms got worse. Only when I abstained from ALL dairy (as well as gluten) did I start to get better. Listen to your daughter's physical symptoms and restrict all dairy, if that helps. The body never lies. ;)

BURDEE

mbigbee Newbie

my 5 year old has been diagnosed with celiac disease. The doctor said she also is lactose intolerant. She has been gluten-free for 1 month, but still has stomach pain...no other symptoms. She also is type 1 diabetic. Can she continue to have milk products as long as i give her lactose tablets before hand? Dairy is a huge part of her daily diet since she uses this for her "carbs". Is it possible the stomach pain is from dairy....even with lactose pills? Also, she has been put on prevacid, flovent, and zantac,,,, is this excessive? The Dr. has her on this for the stomach pain (due they say to esonophils in her esophagus). :unsure:

judy04 Rookie

Hi Mbigbee,

Your daughter could also be casein intolerant. This is the protein found

in milk. If this is the case then Lactaid tabs won't help. Have you checked

to be sure the pills are gluten-free? I know the original Lactaid made by McNeil are

gluten-free because I called them. They also make Tylenol and sent me a lot

of coupons which was helpful. You could try eliminating all dairy to see

if that helps. As far as carbs she could eat french fries or rice meals.

Just a suggestion, hope she feels better soon...

Just wondering if she has had an Endo.? Sometimes acid reflux starts before Celiac is diagnosed.

Archived