This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Uncle Ben's Ready Rice

Guest adamssa

Guest adamssa

Hi,

Does anyone know if the original long grain ready rice is safe? The ingredients say preecooked long grain rice, water, canola oil, and acetylated monoglyerceride. It's the acetylated which I've never heard of before. And also, I think I may have heard someone say something about this type of rice before.

Thanks,

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chgomom Enthusiast

Oh no....not with the canola oil....just had that experience tonight and I never have any luck with canola oil with my celiac. My suggestion, by a small rice cooker, so you can keep rice on all day....then you scoop out what ever you want put it in a pan with some non hydrogenated oil....and go to town and add some all natural chicken (that which has not been fed antibiotics or had preservatives put on it by the store)

Other might say no.....but I have no luck with anything really packaged unless its raw foodws or natural...to me any of these oils are iffy especially in anything "instant"

chgomom Enthusiast

I was just on the uncle Ben's website...

here is what it says....and I am certain the canola is either expeller pressed or hydrogentated...and the wheat protein....

PRECOOKED LONG GRAIN RICE; WATER; PRECOOKED WILD RICE; HYDROLYZED SOY/CORN/WHEAT PROTEIN; CANOLA OIL; SUNFLOWER OIL; VEGETABLES (GARLIC*, ONION*, PARSLEY*, SPINACH*, CELERY*, TOMATO*, CARROT*); SUGAR; AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT; SALT; ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDE; SPICES; DEXTROSE; SMOKE FLAVOR; NATURAL FLAVORS. *DRIED.

I would avoid it.....and cook it from scratch...

penguin Community Regular

Canola oil is actually quite healthy for you. It's one of the healthiest cooking oils out there.

In 1974, rapeseed varieties with a low erucic content were introduced. Scientists had found a way to replace almost all of rapeseed's erucic acid with oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid. (This change was accomplished through the cross-breeding of plants, not by the techniques commonly referred to as "genetic engineering.") By 1978, all Canadian rapeseed produced for food use contained less than 2% erucic acid. The Canadian seed oil industry rechristened the product "canola oil" (Canadian oil) in 1978 in an attempt to distance the product from negative associations with the word "rape." Canola was introduced to American consumers in 1986. By 1990, erucic acid levels in canola oil ranged from 0.5% to 1.0%, in compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards.

This light, tasteless oil's popularity is due to the structure of its fats. It is lower in saturated fat (about 6%) than any other oil. Compare this to the high saturated fat content of peanut oil (about 18%) and palm oil (at an incredibly high 79%). It also contains more cholesterol-balancing monounsaturated fat than any oil except olive oil and has the distinction of containing Omega-3 fatty acids, a polyunsaturated fat reputed to not only lower both cholesterol and triglycerides, but also to contribute to brain growth and development.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Certainly better for you than garden variety vegetable oil.

Guest adamssa

so canola oil is gluten free?

penguin Community Regular
so canola oil is gluten free?

Yes :)

eKatherine Rookie

Canola oil is not a natural food for humans. Liquid vegetable oils have been newly introduced into the human diet since the start of the industrial age, and are nothing like what we evolved on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Norah022

I live on the whole brown rice 90 second bags from Uncle Ben's and have yet to get sick from it,

Guest adamssa
I live on the whole brown rice 90 second bags from Uncle Ben's and have yet to get sick from it,

ok, great, because mine is the white rice 90 second bags. glad to hear I can still have them.

thanks.

gfp Enthusiast
Canola oil is not a natural food for humans. Liquid vegetable oils have been newly introduced into the human diet since the start of the industrial age, and are nothing like what we evolved on.

I have the same feelings.

Everytime some new wonder product is pushed it almost always seems to have studies 10 yrs later with negative effects.

Scientists had found a way to replace almost all of rapeseed's erucic acid with oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid.

Yes just as generations of agriculture changed wild grasses into high gluten wheats...

However as I have said before "there is no such thing as the healthy diet"

Every last thing you consume had good and bad... too much water can kill you, extreme but for the pirpose of the point.

Parmesan cheese (recently mentoined with eKatherine) has tremendous amounts of vitamins and minerals ... the real stuff has diary from controlled pastures and the cows are checked to be healthy naturally low in fat and loads of other benefits AND a heck of a lot of casein. the highest of any cheese by weight.

So what is good for one is not good for another!

back on the original topic: pre-cooked rice is unnatural, it needs things added and chance is those additives are probably determental .....

I realise you don't mean that literally but obviously if you did that is not a healthy diet either.

Which is worse, pre-cooked 90 sec brown rice or proper natural but dehusked white rice?

I dunno......

The answer is probably natural brown rice but ....

elonwy Enthusiast

Uncle Ben's - Per customer representative in June, 2005, the following UNCLE BEN'S Brand Products are gluten free (free from wheat, rye, oats, and barley):

* Uncle Bens Original Converted Brand Rice

* Uncle Bens Instant Rice

* Uncle Bens Whole Grain Brown Rice

* Uncle Bens Instant Brown Rice

* Uncle Bens Boil-in-Bag Rice

* Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild Rice (discard seasoning packet)

* Uncle Bens Ready Rice Original Long Grain

* Uncle Bens Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown

* Uncle Bens Ready Rice Spanish Rice

Minute Rice and Uncle Ben's are also now owned by Kraft.

The nutritional content of this precooked proccessed stuff is pretty suspect though. My rice cooker is my best friend. You can get them for about twenty bucks, pretty much anywhere. Target, Kmart, walmart, etc.

In my opinion, its actually even easier than making Uncle Bens.

Add water, add rice, turn on, walk away, come back, eat. All you need is counter space.

Elonwy

kabowman Explorer

I eat the quick rice with few problems.

For some reason though, basmati rice bothers me.

• 9 years later...
GMO Poisoned Newbie

That uncle bens 10minute brown rice with the gluten free table on the box, i been going through hell these last few days, this s$#& is Not gluten free its contaminated 

kareng Grand Master
44 minutes ago, GMO Poisoned said:

That uncle bens 10minute brown rice with the gluten free table on the box, i been going through hell these last few days, this s$#& is Not gluten free its contaminated 

It is the only thing you have eaten, so it can't be anything else?  I eat it with no issues so I am not sure how you can be certain that is the problem.  All I am saying is that its sort of "your word against mine and the company's word".  

gilligan Enthusiast

I don't have any problem with it.

• 3 years later...
soouzeque Newbie

I am so confused now.  Is or Is Not:

Uncle Bens Ready Rice Roasted Chicken gluten free.????

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, soouzeque said:

I am so confused now.  Is or Is Not:

Uncle Bens Ready Rice Roasted Chicken gluten free.????

I checked the Uncle Ben’s website and they recommend three products (the one you listed was not one of those three).   My take?  I would go with Uncle Ben’s advice.  They might be concerned with cross contamination in the factory with the chicken flavoring.  

http://unclebens.ca/article/naturally-gluten-free-rice/

If this is your chicken rice, it is not gluten free:

http://unclebens.ca/product/country-chicken-flavour/

I recall calling home when I first moved out.  My mom was not home, but my dad was.  I asked if he thought my roommate’s mayonnaise might be okay (she was not there and no cell phones back then).   He said, “is it worth a dollar to get horribly sick?”  I ran to the store and bought a fresh jar.  I still think of this story in situations like this.  

Edited by cyclinglady