This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Wine Have Gluten In It?

mythreesuns

mythreesuns Contributor

Just asking....

I went out to dinner tonight and now I'm kind of bloaty. I knew I shouldn't have eaten out but it was nice to catch up with an old friend.

I'm sure there was something in something that I ate...milk or gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Wine does not contain gluten. The really cheap stuff that you get in grocery stores thats "peach flavored" or whatever and wine in a box, maybe those have gluten ingredients, but if you were out at dinner, chances are that's not what you had :)

Elonwy

psawyer Proficient

Plain wine is fine, even the cheap plonk in the box. Any time you add flavor to anything you need to look at what has been added, since there could be gluten in it. But wine is okay. Enjoy!

mythreesuns Contributor
Plain wine is fine, even the cheap plonk in the box. Any time you add flavor to anything you need to look at what has been added, since there could be gluten in it. But wine is okay. Enjoy!

Hmmm....so if it was an Red Apple Wine drink with more than just wine in it I may be in trouble? :unsure: (where's the guilty face? LOL)

emcmaster Collaborator
Hmmm....so if it was an Red Apple Wine drink with more than just wine in it I may be in trouble? :unsure: (where's the guilty face? LOL)

Yep. It was likely some kind of syrup they put in it, not the wine itself.

I'm actually drinking a glass of pinot noir right now - thank goodness wine is gluten-free!

mythreesuns Contributor
Yep. It was likely some kind of syrup they put in it, not the wine itself.

I'm actually drinking a glass of pinot noir right now - thank goodness wine is gluten-free!

Well, actually, I read all the ingredients of the drink and it sounded ok.

I think it *may* have been the salad. After going through the whole menu and asking questions about what was in this and what was in that, explaining what I could and couldn't eat, she finally brought me a salad with grilled chicken, sans croutons and cheese......with a big ol' slab of garlic toast on the side of it!

I scraped off with a napkin anything I thought had touched the bread, but who knows!? It could have even been the grill. Honestly, I think what I'm feeling is some kind of milk from lunch....a little early for the gluten to have hit me already.

No more fancy drinks for me! Vodka and cranberry juice ONLY!

lorka150 Collaborator

are you lactose or casein free? if you are casein free, wine is filtered with casein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Well, actually, I read all the ingredients of the drink and it sounded ok.

I think it *may* have been the salad. After going through the whole menu and asking questions about what was in this and what was in that, explaining what I could and couldn't eat, she finally brought me a salad with grilled chicken, sans croutons and cheese......with a big ol' slab of garlic toast on the side of it!

I scraped off with a napkin anything I thought had touched the bread, but who knows!? It could have even been the grill. Honestly, I think what I'm feeling is some kind of milk from lunch....a little early for the gluten to have hit me already.

No more fancy drinks for me! Vodka and cranberry juice ONLY!

Yea it was most likely the salad. Even a crumb can get us as well as the dressing. I bring by own. Make sure the vodka is potato vodka though, many of us can tolerate gluten grain alcohol but many of us can't.

mythreesuns Contributor
are you lactose or casein free? if you are casein free, wine is filtered with casein.

Um, whoops! :o

I am in fact at this time casein intolerant. Thanks for the tip!

Yea it was most likely the salad. Even a crumb can get us as well as the dressing. I bring by own. Make sure the vodka is potato vodka though, many of us can tolerate gluten grain alcohol but many of us can't.

I seem to be ok with vodka (thank God!) but I had no idea wine was filtered with casein.

I should just give up on eating out for now, it was just too hard to pass up meeting with a friend I haven't seen in MONTHS! Next time, it's Outback or just a bar. LOL

Lisa Mentor

Wine is generally fine although it contains sulfates, which may cause sensitivity in some.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Um, whoops! :o

I am in fact at this time casein intolerant. Thanks for the tip!

I seem to be ok with vodka (thank God!) but I had no idea wine was filtered with casein.

I should just give up on eating out for now, it was just too hard to pass up meeting with a friend I haven't seen in MONTHS! Next time, it's Outback or just a bar. LOL

The wines that are vegetarian don't use casein. There was a thread a while back that may have given some brands, maybe you could try a search to find them or ask at your local liquor store.

Not being able to be comfortable in social 'eating' situations can be tough. It is hard not to feel isolated. I would still meet with my friend, I would just take some bottled water and eat first. Eating out is risky, especially in the begining. There are some dining cards that are available that you can take with you that many find to be helpful.

floridanative Community Regular

Only some Port wines contain gluten, or so I found when I researched this subject. If you order a cosmo out you'll have to question the brands to make sure they are safe but with wine - as long as it's not Port you should be safe. And not all Ports contain gluten so if you like them, you can contact the winemaker for details.

jnclelland Contributor

Aw crap, really??? All wine, most wine, or just a few wines?

Jeanne, who thought she could still drink an occasional glass...

Felidae Enthusiast
The wines that are vegetarian don't use casein. There was a thread a while back that may have given some brands, maybe you could try a search to find them or ask at your local liquor store.

Just to clarify, it is the vegan wines that are casein-free. Vegetarian means dairy and eggs are allowed. I think if you google vegan wines, you'll find a few brands available.

lorka150 Collaborator

you can also make your own wine, too. we do that.

mythreesuns Contributor

Or you can just stick to vodka and cranberry juice. :D

jnclelland Contributor

Really? Sounds interesting, but it also sounds like more of a project than I'm likely to take on for as little as I drink it. But geez, with everything I can't eat when we go out, now I can't even order a glass of wine with my gluten/casein/soy-free dinner? Phooey.

Jeanne

lorka150 Collaborator

count your blessings, becuase one day, you won't be able to drink anything :)

unfortunately, that happened to me at a ripe, young age.

i still don't drink the casein/gluten free wine, but that way, my mom can when we make it. i can't have sulphites. or alcohol, in that case.

jnclelland Contributor
count your blessings, becuase one day, you won't be able to drink anything :)

unfortunately, that happened to me at a ripe, young age.

i still don't drink the casein/gluten free wine, but that way, my mom can when we make it. i can't have sulphites. or alcohol, in that case.

Well, alcohol's not exactly good for me, and I don't drink that much anyway (my dad is a pretty extreme alcoholic, and I've always been VERY careful not to go there), so it's not that big a deal, really. It's just One More Thing I Can't Have . And since I'm still adjusting to being soy-free, PLUS South-Beaching, my food world is starting to feel awfully restricted. I know it's worth it, and I'm feeling healthier than I ever have, but it sure does feel like a lot of effort sometimes!

Jeanne

Archived