This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Out There gluten-free/cf And Doing The Sc Diet?

Mia H

Mia H Explorer

I'm interested in trying the specific carb diet described in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle"

According to Enterolab I'm gluten/casein intolerant. The sc diet is completely gluten-free but it is not cf.

On the diet's web site it says that with the diet people can heal their gut and after a time tolerate dairy again. I think it also says it can help for people gluten intolerant (not celiac-but it can help celiacs feel better who are on a gluten-free diet but still not getting better)

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has tried the diet that is casein intolerant but was fine with the dairy recommended on the sc diet?

Please share any experiences with the sc diet.

Thanks!

Mia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

If you do a search of this site, you'll find an extensive posting on the SC diet.

I do the Paleo diet myself. it is similar to SC in the carb parts, but it has no dairy or beans of any kind. It is interesting, and it seems to be working pretty well for me.

I've also done (and will again) the Body Ecology Diet. It has no grains, beans, dairy - and its main goal is killing yeast and getting your intestinal flora all up and running and happy again. It really did wonders for what I imagine is a lurking candida problem for me. It is the only diet on which I have had ZERO bloating. It is really hard to maintain, though, as it has no sugars of any kind, including fruit, and it leaves out some of my favorite nuts because it seeks to keep the system very alkaline. Regardless, it is worth checking into.

I think the idea behind the SC diet and dairy is that she only allows those dairy products that are lactose free. However, this says nothing about the casein...which would still be there.

Anyway, I'm sure someone has advice on the SC. Consider Body Ecology as well, and Paleo as a life-long diet. I haven't had any grains for two months now and have felt a lot better...especially in the bathroom.

Mia H Explorer
If you do a search of this site, you'll find an extensive posting on the SC diet.

I do the Paleo diet myself. it is similar to SC in the carb parts, but it has no dairy or beans of any kind. It is interesting, and it seems to be working pretty well for me.

I've also done (and will again) the Body Ecology Diet. It has no grains, beans, dairy - and its main goal is killing yeast and getting your intestinal flora all up and running and happy again. It really did wonders for what I imagine is a lurking candida problem for me. It is the only diet on which I have had ZERO bloating. It is really hard to maintain, though, as it has no sugars of any kind, including fruit, and it leaves out some of my favorite nuts because it seeks to keep the system very alkaline. Regardless, it is worth checking into.

I think the idea behind the SC diet and dairy is that she only allows those dairy products that are lactose free. However, this says nothing about the casein...which would still be there.

Anyway, I'm sure someone has advice on the SC. Consider Body Ecology as well, and Paleo as a life-long diet. I haven't had any grains for two months now and have felt a lot better...especially in the bathroom.

I will do a better search, the first didn't turn up much.

Those diets sound interesting too, that would be hard to have NO sugar. Don't you starve? I guess I could do just about any diet for about a month if it meant feeling better. I am so sick of being sick.

I will keep fighting until I feel better!!!

Mia

corinne Apprentice

It's hard to find the SCD on the search engine because you have to search at least 4 letters. Try looking under my name and the threads should come up. I've posted in most of them.

I've been on a variation of the SCD (no dairy or lentils at all) for 8 months and I feel great. I run/hike/rockclimb and have no problem with energy. To keep my weight up, I eat a lot of avocados, olive oil and other healthy fats.

Rusla Enthusiast

I am considering doing the raw foods diet. It looks good and if anything asks for rye or whatever you just eliminate it. I have found lots of really cool looking recipes and smoothies, along with helping weight loss etc.

corinne Apprentice

Raw foods is a very healthy way of eating. The enzymes and vitamins in the food are preserved. However, if you still have digestive issues, you may have troubles with raw foods. The more a food is cooked, the less likely it is to cause diarrhea ie apple sauce is easier to digest than cooked and peeled apples which are easier than raw.

Mia H Explorer
It's hard to find the SCD on the search engine because you have to search at least 4 letters. Try looking under my name and the threads should come up. I've posted in most of them.

I've been on a variation of the SCD (no dairy or lentils at all) for 8 months and I feel great. I run/hike/rockclimb and have no problem with energy. To keep my weight up, I eat a lot of avocados, olive oil and other healthy fats.

Thanks Corrine,

do I just put your name in the search engine or is there another way to look up your threads?

So, you don't even eat the yogurt on the sc diet? I read on the official web site that the goat can be easier for people with casein intol. I'm just thinking those good bacteria are so essential to gut health.

What kind of gelatin do you use for the begining diet? just plain with no additives?

Thanks!

Mia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Here's a couple links to past threads that might be helpful.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

lindalee Enthusiast

Going to start making my own yogurt-always feel like it is so much of a comfort food to me. Favorite is with blueberries. :D

diamondheart Newbie

I tried SCD for about 6 weeks. It was very difficult for me because I can't have dairy either. I was still having digestion problems on SCD. I finally had a food intolerance test done on 90 food items, and found out I was reacting to various nuts and seeds, all of which are ok on the SCD diet. Once I got my test results, I stopped eating the foods I was reacting to, and went off the SCD diet. I seem to be fine now. Here's the looong list of things I can't eat:

gluten, dairy (casein is ok though), corn, quinoa, almonds, cashews, peanuts, sesame, sunflower, soy, caffeine

It sounds like a long list, but SCD was harder for me. If I didn't have to work, I think I would do SCD, but it's waaay too hard working full time and having to cook that much. I was also losing weight, and I was tired and hungry all the time. At least now I can eat rice and potatoes!! Fruit seems to be ok too, and I thought I was reacting to that. It was the nuts and seeds I was reacting to.

I did learn a few things with my brief stint with SCD.

1) If it's not food, don't eat it. This is the title of a book too. Pretty much, the title says it all, and it's good advice to live by.

2) Homemade cooked foods are better than processed foods. I try to cook as many things as I can now, even my own sauces that I would have normally bought prepared.

In theory, SCD sounded good to me, but ultimately, it didn't work out for my body. You do have to figure out if you have food intolerances to any of the allowed foods on SCD, or else you're stuck with the same problems, like I was.

Claire

lindalee Enthusiast

I got my copy of Elaine's book "Breaking the vicious Cycle" at the library. I am considering the diet. Many celiacs who did not heal strickly going gluten free have been successful on this diet. I haven't been gluten-free long enough yet to know. From what I have read on the scd site, most of the scd group are working on yeast and getting rid of the bad bacteria and putting in good bacteria, therefore they do alot of yogurt. I like yogurt myself and will get into that aspect more. I always have eaten lots of it anyway. They also do alot of chicken soup which I also feel is healing. In fact, anytime someone is sick or in the hospital that is what I take them. I think the decision to go on the diet would depend on how sick your system is in regards to the bacteria and absorbtion issues. Let us know which way you go. :)

utdan Apprentice
I will do a better search, the first didn't turn up much.

Those diets sound interesting too, that would be hard to have NO sugar. Don't you starve? I guess I could do just about any diet for about a month if it meant feeling better. I am so sick of being sick.

I will keep fighting until I feel better!!!

Mia

The search engine for this site is useful for convenience but to find "scd" you have to use either google's search bar at the top of the page or go to Google's homepage (or some other search engine). Google indexes the posts on the board pretty frequently. Type in "site:glutenfreeforum scd diet" without the quotes. Typing in the same with putting quotes around scd diet like this: "scd diet" would search for only where scd and diet occur together.

• 2 weeks later...
corinne Apprentice

I do a very modified version of the SCD. In addition to the SCD - no legumes, dairy and only peanut butter (can't seem to tolerate any nuts). So I don't make yoghurt. I made it a few times and my system reacted violently. I did make jello a few times with gelatine and fruit juice (instructions are on the gelatine box), but I didn't really like it, too rubbery. For the intro diet, I ate carrot + chicken soup for breakfast+lunch and beef+wellcooked carrots for dinner. For dessert, I had diluted (1/2 water) juice. After 1 week, the D. slowed down and I started adding foods in. After 4 months, I was off all anti-diarrheal drugs.

Archived