This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg Rookie

Hello! I'm from Queensland in Australia and we probably get a lot of our products from the same manufacturers as those of you in New Zealand so that should be a bit helpful :)

I'm a self diagnosed coeliac/gluten intolerant now with all the symptoms but went off gluten before i was tested as it was just a hunch at first. A hunch that has stopped alot of problems i've had for ages but never would have thought it was coeliac related, thank goodness i'm a big googler!

In Australia we have labelling laws which say all common allergens must be listed on all our products (this includes gluten now) but i have had problems with a few products with no mention of gluten or wheat like candy lane choc coated peanuts from coles (i think they must be made on the same lines as their choc coated sultanas which do contain wheat)......i'm not sure if these laws are the same in NZ. I dont think alcoholic beverages have to list any ingredients at the mo', but i'm sure that will change soon, i just stick to yummy wine :D

I always find myself carrying food around with me, one of those little boxes of sultanas as well as a little bag of nuts and mother earth popcorn if i'm going to be out for a while keeps me going. there just doesnt seem to be anywhere convenient to eat without huge risks of cross contamination!

It would be nice to meet someone nearby....well in the same hemisphere at least lol :lol: I keep reading about all these great bread mixes available in the US and canada which we dont get, but i have enjoyed the basco bread mix, has a good texture and a mild flavour unlike all the premade ones i've tried....not sure if basco is available in NZ, its made by a company called greens.

I love orgran rice and corn pasta, and san remo spaghetti, chic nuts are delicious too (roasted crunchy chic peas with salt or tomato flavouring available in the health food aisle of the supermarket). i've been baking alot too and its been working out well but i have to restrict how many goodies i cook otherwise i eat them all and expand :P

anyway i must dash! hope to hear from anyone in my neck of the woods! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kaycee Collaborator

Aussie Peg

this is "anyone from my neck of the woods", but across the ditch, so to speak. Yes there are a few of us here, but I find the site so interesting, esp about the physical side of coeliac, but there is just not much food information that I can relate to and rely on. I know our m&m's here have glucose from wheat in them, well they did last time I looked, but in the USA they are gluten free.

Yes I agree our food laws are very similar, and hey, a lot of our food comes from Australia. I'm not a food snob anymore, once I would try so hard to buy kiwi made, but that is not always possible when I want something gluten free, and there is nothing kiwi made, so I go Aussie made, or anywhere made.

Well I have two sons in Sydney, and another one here thinking about doing the Melbourne thing next week. Help, I will only have one son left.

And I have believe it or not, most of my immediate family in aussie. Two brothers and a sister and all their whanau in Darwin. And a little sister in Brisbane. Kiwis are probably Australia's import.

Are you going to watch the came tomorrwo night, rugby of course. Us against the Aussies, always a good match to watch. But we will beat you. Lol. We will try, but the aussies seem to have a habit of beating us at the last minute. Still having said that I am not a rugby fanatic, but I do like netball. Another well matched couple of teams, and always exciting to watch you agains us.

Must go, got to get to work.

Cathy

Another thing, it annoys me about the alcohol thing too, no indication of what is in it. Like you I stick to the yummy wine, and hey there is some in the fridge for tonight. Lucky me.

Cathy

par18 Apprentice
Aussie Peg

this is "anyone from my neck of the woods", but across the ditch, so to speak. Yes there are a few of us here, but I find the site so interesting, esp about the physical side of coeliac, but there is just not much food information that I can relate to and rely on. I know our m&m's here have glucose from wheat in them, well they did last time I looked, but in the USA they are gluten free.

Yes I agree our food laws are very similar, and hey, a lot of our food comes from Australia. I'm not a food snob anymore, once I would try so hard to buy kiwi made, but that is not always possible when I want something gluten free, and there is nothing kiwi made, so I go Aussie made, or anywhere made.

Well I have two sons in Sydney, and another one here thinking about doing the Melbourne thing next week. Help, I will only have one son left.

And I have believe it or not, most of my immediate family in aussie. Two brothers and a sister and all their whanau in Darwin. And a little sister in Brisbane. Kiwis are probably Australia's import.

Are you going to watch the came tomorrwo night, rugby of course. Us against the Aussies, always a good match to watch. But we will beat you. Lol. We will try, but the aussies seem to have a habit of beating us at the last minute. Still having said that I am not a rugby fanatic, but I do like netball. Another well matched couple of teams, and always exciting to watch you agains us.

Must go, got to get to work.

Cathy

Another thing, it annoys me about the alcohol thing too, no indication of what is in it. Like you I stick to the yummy wine, and hey there is some in the fridge for tonight. Lucky me.

Cathy

Cathy,

Do you have any info on O'Brien Brewing? Saw from website they have a gluten-free beer. I also saw they will be doing something in Sydney on Sept. 29. Maybe someone could try the beer and give an opinion on it's taste.

Tom

Kaycee Collaborator

Tom

No I have no information about the beer. Personally I don't like beer, I prefer the wine.

You could try the beer, and then let us know what you think of it.

Cathy

Aussie Peg Rookie

Has anyone found any sweets, like jubes, snakes etc, that are gluten free? Every pack i check has that darned wheat glucose syrup in it! I spotted some gluten free nut bars in the supermarket today from the nice and natural company....has anyone tried these before?

i've got heaps of info from companies about gluten in their products if anyone wants me to send them some info :)

i find this site so interesting too! i'm on here nearly every day, its also a comfort thing so i dont feel so alone with these issues. I can't get enough of the cooking section either, its a life saver!

Kaycee - i'm not a big sporting person but my dad enjoys the excitment of the rugby and netball so i always get updates from him. Wow you do have a lot of family over here! some of my family has been moving to the UK so who knows how many will follow lol.

Did anyone go to the gluten free food expo in Melbourne on the 12th of August? i'd love to hear what it was like :)

Thanks!

Kaycee Collaborator

Peg,

I was so excited today, I found some chocolate without soy in it. It is so hard to find any chocolate without soy. And it was just a simple humble Cadbury flake. But yum, it lasted in my hand a minute if that.!

I had to get some, the boss had told me to get a few little treat size bars to put inot the staffs cubby holes if they were tidy, a little reward for the good employees. Well my cubby hole was not going to win any awards, and any little chocolate bar just wouldn't be any good for me, so I passed on the challenge. But I got myself a big sized flake and put it in my cubby hole, while everyone else, just the good ones mind you, got a small measly little bar.

I have found some gluten free marsmallows, and, because I have been a bit missing out on yummy sweets, I managed to eat most of them in a couple of sittings. They were called Mr Mallows. Like you Peg I have found it hard to find a treat here and there. There are a few muesli bars around, but hardly anything in the way of lollies and toffees.

The hardest time for me is when there is a morning tea put on at work. And there were two put on this week, and there was nothing on the table that I could even think about eating! Drats. So I had a brainwave and went home, just around the corner, and dug in my freezer, and grabbed a bag of homemade gluten-free muffins. So now at work, if they have a special treat I will grab a muffin out of the work freezer.

The bread mix I get is a healtheries mix, it is called Simple and works okay, if I want variety, I put in some fruit, or nuts and seeds. To make the loaf have a bit more keep togetherness, I add an egg to the mixture, and it makes it no so crumbly. I have not seen the mix you use Peg.

Cathy

Ruth52 Newbie

I'm from south east of Australia, not far from the Murray River.

I spoke to someone who attended the Expo in Melbourne. She said it was great. Huge response. Unfortunately some of the stalls closed early afternoon because they had run out of products, they had no idea the Expo would attract so many people.

I make my own bread using a premix that is made by Lansell Cottages Industries in Bendigo (www.lansellcottage.com.au). I also bought a cookbook from Wheat Free World (wheatfreeworld.com.au). It has some great recipes in it and they sell (online) the different flours used in the recipes. After being gluten free for nearly two years I've now found that I can make most of my favourite foods gluten free with acceptable results. Vaalia make yoghurt that is labelled gluten free and it is really yummy.

The lolly question is one I can't help with although I thought that glucose syrup made from wheat didn't contain the gluten protein.

The 'morning tea at work' issue is one of my greatest frustrations - I have given up on even trying with them. I also bring my own.

Ruth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

We are to have our own coeliac expo in Christchurch with Dr Rodney Ford at the end of September. Could be the same one that was in Australia. I would love to go, but it is in the south island, and so far away. What makes it worse, is that I went down to Christchurch just 5 weeks ago, and I don't think I will be allowed to go again so soon! I wish I had known it was on soooner, and then would've planned the holiday later.

Morning teas I hate. The silly thing is that it is usually up to me to go buy and present it all at the table. One day, not long after being dianosed, I went with good intentions to the supermarket etc, and told myself, I would make it totally gluten free. I bit off a bit more than I could chew. All there was, that was gluten free, was fruit, easter eggs (not really sure how safe they were), rice crackers, corn crackers which are so big and bulky, and cheeses. So I really failed at the test I gave myself. So Ibought a couple of gluten free things I liked, and was very nice to my fellow workers and bought them cake, hot cross buns and savouries. At least they know I wouldn't have licked the knife. But it still makes it tough. Yesterday I was nearly in a lather when somebody mentioned chocolate fish. Thanks to granny, I grew up on them!

Still that is the way it goes, and now I will make sure I always have a stash of frozen muffins in the freezer at school.

Cathy

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm not Australian, but I'm in OZ, and I just had to pop in and say that Early Harvest bread is the best gluten-free bread on Earth. I've purchased it a couple times at Health Emporium in Bondi Beach. There's also a bakery in Sydney that makes the best gluten-free muffins on Earth. I can't think of the name of the bakery but I buy them at the U Eat Healthy health food store in Surry Hills. The muffins are made out of almond meal and they are sooooo good.

Aussie Peg Rookie

Thanks for that tip Mango04! i've been keeping my eyes peeled for that bread but havent seen it anywhere yet so i think i'll contact the company and see where i can buy it, i really need a good bread!

Chocolate fish....are those chocolate covered marshmallow things? if so, i love them too and have been yearning for one for ages. i'm going to look into the mr mallow marshmallows, i've found an online shop in brisbane that stocks them so i might just order some things from there and dunk them in my own melted chocolate.....or nutella, yum!

i'm not working at the moment so i havent had the morning tea problem but even at home i struggle to find things to eat for breakky, lunch and inbetween especially when there's tonnes of glutenful foods in the cupboard looking far more appetising than what i have in my little cupboard. i think i just need to go on a food shopping frenzy and stock up!

Thats great that the melbourne expo was so popular, hopefully places will realise how many non-gluten eaters there are and make life a little easier for us :)

how does the Lansell Cottages Industries bread turn out Ruth? I've had a terrible time trying to find a good recipe, the basco bread mix is pretty good but i dont really look forward to eating it, if i toast it and it goes a bit too brown then it tastes really bitter and I havent mastered the toaster yet lol.

Has anyone found anywhere that sells sorghum flour?? i've been hunting for it but just cant find it!

mmm, i do enjoy vaalia yoghurt, a lot of yoplait yoghurt is gluten-free and all ski yoghurt (only the mixed berry in ski double ups though) is too but always check the labels...i've got tonnes of lists in a folder so i'm happy to copy and paste or send it to anyone :) i've been eating a lot of jalna (i think thats the name) greek yoghurt with golden syrup drizzled over it and its so yummy!

My dietician told me that the wheat glucose syrup and caramal colours (from wheat) are ok to have too but i've had definite reactions to things with the glucose syrup in them and i'm still not sure with the caramel colours....maybe they just have a teensy tiny amount of gluten in them but i might be more sensitive and my body can still detect it. gosh i miss strawberry freddo frogs and cherry ripes!

Kaycee - thats so great that you can have cadbury flakes!! Must have been funny seeing everyones reactions to your giant chocolate bar when they get these measley ones, classic! you should keep a flake on you at all times in case of emergencies ;)

phew, i've rambled on enough! sorry for such a long post :ph34r:

Kaycee Collaborator

Yes Peg, they would be marsmallow chocolate fish.

And I know what it is like having a pantry full of things I can't eat. But I do tricks. If I know I can't eat something, I don't mind buying it for a for treat the kids, or hubby, and that way I am not tempted. What is there that we can eat anyway, if it is not healthy? But at times, I just need something unhealthy and full of sugar. Flake bar maybe, don't really know if it agrees with me, but I ate it.

I am at a stage where nothing seems to agree or work with me. It is frustrating, and I am sure I am getting a bit neurotic. What am I to do. I have cut out soy and dairy, apart from the wonderful Liddells lactose free milk, and that flake bar. Have cut out peanuts and probalby all legumes, except for frozen peas. You would think I should be a lot better. Maybe I have to cut out coffe, and the milk and corn. I am just toying with the thought, that it might be my dishwashing liquid. How crazy do I have to go? Could it be that?

Just as a thought what dishwashing liquid, for handwashing dishes do you use. Ihave been using Morning fresh, lavendar coloured.

Just an aside, you Australians had us kiwis worried for a few minutes last night with the rugby, I can say it was a good game.

Sorry if I am on a negative note today. Just frustrated and a bit down. I think I will attack the kitchen now and clean it out from top to bottom.

Cathy

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator

Peg, I forgot to mention, that caramel colouring I usually avoid too. There was some in a creamed rice tin, and it did a number on me. Labelled as gluten free etc etc. There are three ways to make caramel, i am guessing, as sometimes after 150 the number that denotes caramel in a food product, there can be and a, b, or c, or even I, II, or III. There could be four, but I avoid the last couple as they are from what I gather derived from a wheat base. I have found a vege spread from freedom foods, australian based and it has a caramel with 150a on the label and that seems to agree with me.

For a treat I make a flaked rice, it is like a creamed rice, easy to make and even easier to eat. I am careful what vanilla essence I put in.

Flaked rice

Bring 600mls of milk to the boil

Add 1 cup flaked rice, 2tbsp sugar 1/4 tsp salt.

Boil for three minutes

Add 2 beaten eggs and 1/4 tsp vanilla essence.

Nice for breakfast lunch and dessert.

Hints and ideas

I halve the recipe, enough for four serves, or two big ones

I used Liddell's lactose free milk

I have frozen in individual lots and microwaved when needed.

Cooke with dried fruit would be nice.

Cathy

Shiba Newbie
i'm going to look into the mr mallow marshmallows, i've found an online shop in brisbane that stocks them so i might just order some things from there and dunk them in my own melted chocolate.....or nutella, yum!

Mr Mallow marshmallows are in Target stores in sydney, so try them in Brisbane. Also find them in Priceline. There are at least 3 varieties.

There's also a wholesaler who has them, as we are getting them for a Fete!

I think the great muffins the Mango talks about are from Roberto's - a bakery at Balmain.

Our usual cafe on weekends always has them for my hubbie.

I make Basco muffins and freeze them straight away. Use the ingredients on box, but not their instructions.

Instead, really beat egg, the add rest of the wet ingredients and beat hard so all bubbly, then add the packet, and beat to mix, then hard for about 3 minutes. I often add an extra tablespoon of oil to make them more crispy on the top. They are fantastic!!!!

Aussie Peg Rookie

I use "earth" brand dishwashing liquid and i contacted the company and they told me its gluten free so that one should be fine if its available in NZ. I tried to contact the morning fresh folks but couldnt find any contact details so i just stick with my safe "earth" brand

Kaycee, I've been having some troubles too with new symptoms even though i'm sure i'm keeping gluten free, i've been getting a sore throat every morning for the last week which gets milder through the day, and i've had some C and lung aches (if thats what u call them) so i'm going to cut out dairy and see what happens. Have you had an allergy screening? I'm not sure how much they cost but that could really help you find what the problem is....also i keep a food diary so i can do detective work to see what causes the problems, i've found that helped a lot! I hope you start to feel better soon, i'll send lots of good health vibes your way!! i find relaxing on the couch watching something on tv that makes me laugh cheers me up when i'm have a sad day, i'll send lots of happy vibes too :)

i've found golden syrup drizzled on fruit helps with the sugar cravings because its so potent, sure hits the spot especially on strawberries! I just bought flaked rice today so i think i'll make that recipe tomorrow, sounds delish!! thanks Kaycee!

Thanks for the marshmallow locations shiba! i'll check target and priceline this week, i cant wait!! i'll get the basco muffin mix too, i made them ages ago but followed the directions on the pack and they werent that great so i cant wait to try your directions, i miss muffins!

I try to avoid the caramel colours from wheat but the only gluten free soy sauce i can find is the one by fountain but it has the evil wheaty colour. has anyone found a completely gluten free soy sauce??

thanks for all your help everyone!! i hope you've had a smashing weekend!! :D

Kaycee Collaborator

Peg,

your happy vibes are working for me. Went for my walk with a friend this am and I didn't even know myself. I was bubbling away, cracking funny jokes etc etc. It was dark, so maybe she didn't know who I was either. Your health vibes have done the trick too. Thank you

Gluten free soy sauce, have you tried a brand called tamari organic soy sauce. It is wheat free,can't guarantee the gluten free, someone else might know. Don't all soy sauces have that evil colour? Instead of soy sauce I use Vege Spread from freedom foods. It is like vegemite, and packed with flavour, and only need about a teaspoon for a stir fry.

I have not been for an allergy screening. I should I know, but it is a time thing and a doctor thing, he told me things will take time to come right. I agree now, but there is so much he could've told me, but I guess he just does not know. I think, and hope it is just an intolerance and I will grow out of it in time, and be able to put milk etc back in my diet. Not sure about soy, don't think I even like it.

I keep the food diary too, it seems to work, but sometimes I jump to the wrong conclusion and blame the wrong thing. Still don't know what it was last week, but I am over that, it just seems to take away all my energy and vitality. Peg I hope you work out the last of your food problems. Hope it is only something simple like, maybe not enough sugar. Of course it would never be that. How long have you been gluten free, I have only been for 8 months, I remember my last sandwich well, and it was a sandwich that didn't even make me sick! But then it is now the little things that get me.

Peg I so envy you being able to rest up on the couch and watch tv for relaxation! I work five days a week, forever walking the dog as well, the weekends aren't very relaxing with two teenage boys and a hubby. They are so useless in the kitchen etc, but I love them to bits. Time out for me is nearly non-existant, unless you can call time on the computer time out? But this is serious stuff keeping in touch with people.

Cathy

Ruth52 Newbie

Hi Aussie Peg,

The Lansell Cottages bread mix comes out really well. The only adjustment I make to their breadmix is to add a heaped teaspoon of Xanthum gum. It makes up really well in the bread maker but I think it would be just as good done with an electric beater and cooked in the oven

I've also been trying to find sorghum flour and the only supplier I can find is 'Tribes ...?'. It is an online shop that markets african type food (very expensive). My son gave me a recipe book by Cynthia Meares and in it she has a wheat free alternative flour mix that uses Amaranth, Maize, Rice, Soy and Arrowroot flours and so I thought I would give that a try. At least I can find the Amaranth flour.

I also use the Basco cakes mixes and find the best results come from beating the eggs, water and butter first and adding the dry mix after that. I also find that I get better results when I cook in steel tins as opposed to aluminium. The seem to cook more evenly.

Have a great day.

Ruth

nadinec Newbie

Hi Guys

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I am a kiwi, but live in Sydney and am a diagnosed Celiac (for about 1.5 years now). I am also pregnant so have to be really careful about what I eat.

Just thought that I would let you all know that Wheat Glucose syrup is fine for Celiacs to have. There is no detectable gluten in it and it was OK'ed by the Celiac society earlier this year. That opens up heaps of lollies to eat, but you sitll have to watch out for Wheat Starch.

I eat Pascall chocolate eclairs, Gourmet Jelly Bellies and for those of you in NZ, wine gums and jet planes are gluten free.

So all enjoy...

I really miss m&m's as well but they have Wheat Starch in them...

I have an ebay store which you might all be interested in as well. I am absolutely addicted to the Carob ginger gem cookies and carob licorice.

Open Original Shared Link

What I find really hard is finding a local takeaway that I can eat at. Every thai place that I go into coats their meat in flour and it is all pre-coated - I really miss thai...

That's about all for now.

Nadine

tonyevans Newbie

I spotted some gluten free nut bars in the supermarket today from the nice and natural company....has anyone tried these before?"

Hi

Yes Nice N Natural bars are a favorite here, I buy about six packs a week.java script:add_smilie("B)","smid_9")

cool.gif

We're also getting Live Well products her now, Jam tarts, bakewell tarts and bramley apple tarts... all very nice and another Company called Forever free which are K.

No gluten-free beer here yet but I did try some in Uk earlier this year, one was pleasing and the second tasted like I remember Barley Wine tasting. Tried another In Canada last year.

I'll stick with cider but it's another loooooong wait for some true Scrumpy.java script:add_smilie(":(","smid_16")

sad.gif

Aussie Peg Rookie

Here's the website for the dishwashing liquid: Open Original Shared Link

They said that all their dish wash and hand wash are gluten free so hopefully its available everywhere!

I just looked up the lansell cottage website and there's a stockist right near me so i'll have to try some out, it looks really good from what i can tell, huzzah! I just found a pack of basco butter cake mix in my cupboard so i'll try your method Ruth, i cant wait for cake, CAKE!! *drool*

My dad knows all sorts of agricultural stuff and said that queensland is a big producer of sorghum so thats weird that we cant find it anywhere, humph, i'll have to call around and see if anyone can get it in for me.

Thats great that you're feeling healthier and happier Kaycee! Twas my pleasure to send vibes your way! I really should get out and go for walks in the fresh air.....if only my elderly cat would encourage me with a leash in her mouth lol :) That must be hard not having any time to yourself to relax though, i'm very lucky i can do that!

I haven't tried the tamari soy sauce, is it just available in health shops? i'll keep my eyes out for it, sounds promising!

If i can't pinpoint my sore throat cause in a week (hopefully it is lack of suger lol, wouldn't that be grand!), i'm going to the doc so I might end up getting the allergy screening, its scary that there could be other things i'm not aware of that could be sneakily affecting me! i'll let you know how it goes :unsure:

i've only been gluten free for about 9 months and i started it on just a hunch not expecting the amazing results i got, so i wish i had known before starting the diet that i wouldnt be eating gluten again.....oh the things i would have eaten! :P

Hi nadinec, my dietician did tell me that wheat glucose syrup and the caramel colour are fine for most coeliacs as they have less than 0.002% gluten but i still get D and other issues from the wheat glucose syrup so i guess that small amount still gets me, dang! I really miss thai too! green curry and all the entrees were heaven, if only i could replicate such delicacies.

I ended up buying the nice and natural nut bars in the original and chocolate flavours, they ARE delicious! My jaw did drop somewhat when i saw the fat content though (trying to lose some weight), about 10g per bar, jimmeny crickets!

I best be off to bed now,

night night everyone, hope you have a great day tomorrow! :)

Ruth52 Newbie

I found the Tamari soy sauce in the health food section at Safeway, also saw it in health food section in the Coles Supermarket.

Ruth

Aussie Peg Rookie

thanks ruth, i'll see if i can find it today!

i'm pleased to report that my sore throat has gone and i'm feeling much more alive! i cut out dairy, corn, egg and stopped using my usual lip balm and moisturiser yesterday so one of them doesnt agree with me. i'll be slowly re-introducing them to see which is the culprit, yay, i feel tops...so far lol :)

Kaycee Collaborator

That is the hard bit, slowly re-introducing things. I have eliminated soy, and milk and peanuts and a couple of other things, like legumes. I have been waiting for the symptoms to settle down, but they have not. Still have a bit of D. So I am clutching at straws, and wondering what next to remove from my diet, thinking what can I remove?

I have noticed a difference without the milk, which gave me a sore tum, as in gas and bloatedness. Peanuts I think were bad and so was soy. But then I can't be sure they were the culprits, as I still had D.

But over the weekend I think I have had a breakthrough. After about 12 days straight with D, I have only just successfully had three days without any sign of diarhoea. What you may ask is my answer? I think it is just that I have been bringing my own thermos to work, instead of using the work zip. Sounds crazy, I know but it is working. The zip is one that is continously on the boil, and is fed with filtered water. I asked the caretaker today when he had last changed the filter, and he just said, "oh I con't know, not for a while. But I am okay" Grrrrr. So he turned around and said he would be onto it today.

Now hopefully, things have settled, I will then like you Peg, be able to re-introduce things slowly and see if I have any reactions.

Glad your throat is feeling better Peg. But it is that time of the year, and they are around. So far I have not had a cold yet this winter. Maybe it has passed me by.

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator

It has been a beautiful day here. One out of the box. Makes me feel good to be alive.

All has gone quiet here on this thread. I don't like to put too many entries in back to back, but would like to see this thread keep going.

There is a wine in the fridge chilling nicely. All dem children at school were good today, the weather makes such a difference to their attitudes and behaviours.

My 16 year old son, my baby, is doing his penultimate year at school, and got his report back today. Two subjects with complete A's. Am I allowed to gloat? Of course. But same son is worrying that he might have coeliac too. He has a couple of problems, but it could be stress, time will tell. But I should not leave it too long for time to tell!

Well I will catch you all later.

Cathy

Aussie Peg Rookie

Hello!

i've just come back from the shops with a giant bag of mr mallow marshmallows!! YUM!! Its crazy hot here today, about 30 degrees! in winter!

Thats so impressive about your sons results Kaycee!! Indeed you are absolutely allowed to gloat! :) I too shall gloat about my great hair day - its so soft and shiny today! lol :) I hope he doesnt have coeliac and it is just stress causing the issues, once all his assessment is over hopefully all his problems will subside!

I do believe i've tracked down the food issue i've been having to tomatoes or corn, i'm gobbling all things corny today but not touching anything tomatoey so we'll see how i feel tomorrow. I'm going to get allergy tests done soon too just to see what things i should watch out for so that should be interesting.

I got glutened 2 days ago, entirely my fault :ph34r: I went out to coffee with a friend from school and ordered a soy cappucino, hold the chocolate sprinkle, and I didnt think to ask if it was gluten free (i've never ordered coffee with soy milk so i'm just used to assuming cappucinos are fine). I got a lot of brain fog and fatigue that afternoon so emailed them (coffee club) to discover that their soy milk (and chocolate powder sprinkle) contains barley (and the chocolate powder sprinkle isnt gluten-free either but i avoided that)! uhoh! i had awful tummy and intestinal pains with nausea for about an hour, then it subsided to just mild pain and feeling generally not well which lasted a couple days.

I'm doing well now though and, as I diagnosed myself with coeliac, it was reassuring in a way as i often have doubts in my head that gluten is the issue so it was good proof!......well bad proof really :wacko:

Thats amazing that taking your own thermos to work stopped all the D! I hate to think what state the filter is in!

I hope everyone is doing well and hasnt encountered any gluten and is enjoying soft hair :P

Byeeee,

Peggy

Kaycee Collaborator

I've already had my share of mr mallows today. Yummy. Such a big bag, do they come smaller. Anyway, there is enuff in there to share. I won 't be mean!

Sorry you glutened yourself. It must be quite reassuring for you to know that that is what the problem is. I know before I was diagnosed, I always wondered, and sometimes had to have a sammy cause, I didn't know what the answer was. And to make it worse, sometimes I would react to gluten and other times I would not. But the longer I am gluten free, the worse the reactions, and there is no doubt in my mind that it was gluten. But the doubt now, what did it? Like you said the low feelings for me last a few days, and I am not a nice person to be around. I go into myself and become uninspiring, my sense of fun has gone awol.

I'm not sure about the thermos. But I have not had d for 5 days. Whereas before I had it for about 15 days straight. It gets me down. But I will keep taking my thermos, I look crazy in the lunch room doing it, but I would rather do it than risk being sick. I just don't trust things like I used to. Caretaker has not changed the filter yet! Spoke to the boss about my concerns, and he said it is easy, just change the filter, and that I had to nag the caretaker till he does.

I have not encountered any gluten for a week, what it was I don't know. But it was the brain fog etc. The other D is just that, D on its own, so I know it is not gluten. I soyed myself today, I had a can of tuna with soy oil in it, and I just wanted to have tunas for lunch. So it will be ineresting to see how I react to the soy tomorrow. Maybe it has just been the water all along.

Soft hair days are nice. I have had frozen hair, have you? From hanging out washing in the freezing down south a couple of months ago. My wet hair went solid, a bit like the towels on the line.

Soft hair is nice. I always get told when I get it cut, that I have a lot of hair, as in quite thick and plentiful, and lots of grey too, as I refuse to dye it anymore. Had enough of that. But it is usually soft and fine, but thick. Wash it everyday, with real expensive shampoo PPS for sensitive hair.

Cathy

Archived