This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Mack the Knife Explorer

Don't forget that The Irresistible Gluten Free Fod Show is on next month. They always have a big range of products. Open Original Shared Link

I'm going to go and sample food until I make myself sick. Last year they had gluten free Wagon Wheels. Fantastic!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anabananakins Explorer

You sure can. Not only crumpets but bagels, englsih muffins and naan bread. The crumpets I tried were from tesco, I didn't have a toaster and still enjoyed them. Also if you can get to to a waitrose you should try the croissants - They even had chocolate filled ones. Another thing to try is Genius bread,edible without a microwave and it was almost normal sized. I also found some gluten free jaffa cakes in waitrose.

It is easy to find gluten-free stuff in australia, I guess it's just for me the types of food I could buy in the uk were more to what I like to eat.

I was there for a month and the only reason I went into a health food store was just to see what they had. It was just nice to go to a supermarket and buy things like bread rolls, and ready made slices and even iced cakes. I also liked the fact they weren't frozen.

This is awesome, thanks! It's true, it's perfectly easy being gluten free here, and I eat so much better now. But have I've missed croissants, english muffins, naan and crumpets A LOT. Heh, I'm going to gain so much weight in the next two weeks :)

• 3 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

Has anyone managed to find the food health kids bars that were advertised in the last Coeliac magazine? They came in apple or banana custard and are meant to be available at Coles, Woolies and health food shops but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Also I found something very exciting at coles the other day. They have increased the gluten-free frozen food section. My local had spinach and ricotta cannoli and lasagna as well as Gnocchi. The lasagna and cannoli are even microwavable.

I tried the cannoli and it was rather tasty. They also had some sweet and savoury pies. The pies came in beef and burgundy or apple but I think they also come in beef and vegetable and sour cherry.

At around $10 a pack they aren't cheap but it's great to have something like this available from the supermarket. Hopefully they keep them in stock.

beebs Enthusiast

Has anyone managed to find the food health kids bars that were advertised in the last Coeliac magazine? They came in apple or banana custard and are meant to be available at Coles, Woolies and health food shops but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Also I found something very exciting at coles the other day. They have increased the gluten-free frozen food section. My local had spinach and ricotta cannoli and lasagna as well as Gnocchi. The lasagna and cannoli are even microwavable.

I tried the cannoli and it was rather tasty. They also had some sweet and savoury pies. The pies came in beef and burgundy or apple but I think they also come in beef and vegetable and sour cherry.

At around $10 a pack they aren't cheap but it's great to have something like this available from the supermarket. Hopefully they keep them in stock.

I tasted the new bars at the gluten free expo - they were pretty good. I reckon my kids would love them.

I also tasted those pies - and I have to say -YUMMMM - I have never tasted a better pie. I went to the expo on the friday evening and they had almost run out already - everyone was just like "yummo!"

anabananakins Explorer

Ooh, pie. I'll check out my Coles.

Also the UK supermarkets gluten free range was everything Saz promised it'd be. The FreeFrom Brownies from Sainsburys were divine. I ate an appalling number of them. I also had crumpets even though I had to microwave them to avoid cross contamination. Still yummy. I've brought home english muffins, little ciabatta rolls and a microwavable pudding (sticky toffee). The range was amazing. The bread tasted normal and was available everywhere. I ate more sandwiches in 2 weeks than I've eaten in 15 months. I even found packs of decorate your own gluten free gingerbread people. Seriously, I'd never even seen a pack like that in the regular bakery section in Australia, much less ever expected to see one gluten free! I'd have bought one for the heck of it but all the gingerbread peoples looked like they'd been victims of some terrible calamity.

The only thing I wished for but couldn't find was ready made mini gluten free apple pies. The regular ones are such a staple of a UK supermarket (and featured prominently in my diet when I lived there). But they only became a wished-for item when I'd discovered all the other amazing things and I was quite happy eating my gluten free jam tarts.

I get why our manufacturers don't make all this stuff. We have such a tiny population. But it all had long best-by dates on it. I really wish they'd start importing a few things. I also wish that I'd brought more stuff home with me, but my bags were getting too full.

I'll do a post on my experiences in the UK for the travel thread. It's an awesome destination for the carb-loving gluten free traveller :)

beebs Enthusiast

Ooh, pie. I'll check out my Coles.

Also the UK supermarkets gluten free range was everything Saz promised it'd be. The FreeFrom Brownies from Sainsburys were divine. I ate an appalling number of them. I also had crumpets even though I had to microwave them to avoid cross contamination. Still yummy. I've brought home english muffins, little ciabatta rolls and a microwavable pudding (sticky toffee). The range was amazing. The bread tasted normal and was available everywhere. I ate more sandwiches in 2 weeks than I've eaten in 15 months. I even found packs of decorate your own gluten free gingerbread people. Seriously, I'd never even seen a pack like that in the regular bakery section in Australia, much less ever expected to see one gluten free! I'd have bought one for the heck of it but all the gingerbread peoples looked like they'd been victims of some terrible calamity.

The only thing I wished for but couldn't find was ready made mini gluten free apple pies. The regular ones are such a staple of a UK supermarket (and featured prominently in my diet when I lived there). But they only became a wished-for item when I'd discovered all the other amazing things and I was quite happy eating my gluten free jam tarts.

I get why our manufacturers don't make all this stuff. We have such a tiny population. But it all had long best-by dates on it. I really wish they'd start importing a few things. I also wish that I'd brought more stuff home with me, but my bags were getting too full.

I'll do a post on my experiences in the UK for the travel thread. It's an awesome destination for the carb-loving gluten free traveller :)

Macro have just released crumpet mixes and donut mixes - I did the crumpets last night - you have to make it yourself obviously - but it was pretty easy and was pretty delish as well - now to try the donuts - yuummm. But god yeah - crumpets are a real favourite of mine -especially those big square ones - slathered with butter and honey and nice cup of tea....yummmmmmmmm

millymoo Newbie

Hello, this thread looks great with lots of product information, I am on week four of gluten free and am intolerant. I have suffered since I was 15 with dreadful stomach bloating and pain but was always diagnosed with IBS. I am finding it a little daunting atm but will enjoy going back though the 39 pages here.

:D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hi, Millymoo. This thread is intermittently active, mostly Aussies (because there are more of you :P ) Sometimes I wish our Woolies would carry more of what your Woolies carry. You are miles ahead of us in gluten free (edible) products We seem to follow you guys (about five years behind :o )

desert rose Newbie

Hi AussiePeg. I always use the Fountain soy sauce and I have never had any problems.

millymoo Newbie

Hi, Millymoo. This thread is intermittently active, mostly Aussies (because there are more of you :P ) Sometimes I wish our Woolies would carry more of what your Woolies carry. You are miles ahead of us in gluten free (edible) products We seem to follow you guys (about five years behind :o )

Been through the whole thread , taken a while

The one thing that stood out to me is that I emigrated here from uk in 2004 and how much easier it would be there :unsure: However I have made notes of many products I can try out. I think it will be easier in the summer when I can eat fruit. I think I am in a denial phase and need to grab it by the horns and start cooking!!

Was advised the other day Aldi was great for gluten-free..not really but did find a lovely yog and tinned chicken with pesto and pinenuts that is good on rice cakes :D

beebs Enthusiast

Been through the whole thread , taken a while

The one thing that stood out to me is that I emigrated here from uk in 2004 and how much easier it would be there :unsure: However I have made notes of many products I can try out. I think it will be easier in the summer when I can eat fruit. I think I am in a denial phase and need to grab it by the horns and start cooking!!

Was advised the other day Aldi was great for gluten-free..not really but did find a lovely yog and tinned chicken with pesto and pinenuts that is good on rice cakes :D

We can still eat snickers most cadburys choc and most magnums if that helps? That helps me get through the dark times :lol: :lol:

millymoo Newbie

We can still eat snickers most cadburys choc and most magnums if that helps? That helps me get through the dark times :lol: :lol:

Really?? Thats good. I am getting the hang of it!! I have ordered a supermarket buying guide, hope its good and reliable. Went to my local deli today and it had a great range of sauces, marinades and salad dressings and flavoured corn chips. Was very impressed. Do you find Coles or Woollies better ?

beebs Enthusiast

Really?? Thats good. I am getting the hang of it!! I have ordered a supermarket buying guide, hope its good and reliable. Went to my local deli today and it had a great range of sauces, marinades and salad dressings and flavoured corn chips. Was very impressed. Do you find Coles or Woollies better ?

Coles has a bigger range but Woolies is catching up too. I quite like the macro gluten-free range and they are sold at woolies.

You should think about becoming a member of the coeliac society. You get a members card for coles where you get 20% of chosen products each months. Plus they send you a cookbook, plus a monthly magazine, plus you get to see where others recommend to eat and restaurants that a coeliac partners. Plus they always have these deals for members. $5- 10% off a various restaurants and I just got two lovely cookbooks for free. Its well worth it.

Heres a few more tips - woolies select corn chips triple cheese and nacho cheese are gluten free! Yay! haha. If you go onto the cadbury's website and type in gluten free it lists every type of chocolate we can eat and those we cannot. Primo (as in ham bacon etc) is completely 100% gluten free - all of their products are ( I just rang them to ask).When you order coffee, don't get caps anymore cause lots of times the chocolate sprinkle has gluten in it...my mother found out the hard way...either flat white or lattes.

Marz Enthusiast

We're seriously thinking of immigrating to New Zealand, so trying to get as much info as I can about gluten-free options. Looks like Coles and Woolies are the best, are they in NZ as well as Aus?

Looking forward to making a big move :)

mushroom Proficient

No, we have no Coles, only Woolies :( We also have the New World chain which, depending on the individual store, can be quite good (I think it is franchised??) Being from Christchurch, we have unfortunately lost our best store for gluten free, although there is one fairly good one left. I think they are going to rebuild the other :) Woolies does not carry all the Aussie products so you will probably be a bit disappointed. Also, you shouldn't trust a lot of what I say because I have other limitations foodwise which restrict my choices :blink:

millymoo Newbie

Coles has a bigger range but Woolies is catching up too. I quite like the macro gluten-free range and they are sold at woolies.

You should think about becoming a member of the coeliac society. You get a members card for coles where you get 20% of chosen products each months. Plus they send you a cookbook, plus a monthly magazine, plus you get to see where others recommend to eat and restaurants that a coeliac partners. Plus they always have these deals for members. $5- 10% off a various restaurants and I just got two lovely cookbooks for free. Its well worth it.

Heres a few more tips - woolies select corn chips triple cheese and nacho cheese are gluten free! Yay! haha. If you go onto the cadbury's website and type in gluten free it lists every type of chocolate we can eat and those we cannot. Primo (as in ham bacon etc) is completely 100% gluten free - all of their products are ( I just rang them to ask).When you order coffee, don't get caps anymore cause lots of times the chocolate sprinkle has gluten in it...my mother found out the hard way...either flat white or lattes.

Such good advice , I am noting down all your tips!! I have had a book through today, helpful. Its getting easier and easier and I am eating such different things to before.Trying out all sorts of things. We have a local Deli that has just started stocking a great range of sauces, marinades etc. Ozganic and Taylors :)

Here is a link to the book...bit basic but has made me smile over a few things I thought were out! Like yummy Heinz salad cream!

Open Original Shared Link

desert rose Newbie

Hi AussiePeg, the Goody Goody Gumdrops website has a section of gluten free lollies. They are delicious and completely Australian. I always use Fountains soy sauce and have never had a problem.

anabananakins Explorer

I've tried the cherry pies and the apple pies and I thought they were DIVINE. With lashings of cream of course, ha. I also enjoyed the spinach and ricotta frozen ravioli. I'd really missed tortellini. The frozen food section at coles has increased immensely lately and it's awesome. I'm almost glad it's only just expanded though - I would've spent a fortune if this stuff had been around before I learned to cook for myself. It's expensive!

Also, I only recently tried the frozen lamingtons they sell in packs of three. I figured they'd be nothing like a proper lamington and not worth the expense. But they were really good. I recommend those too. And I'm making myself hungry.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I live in California in the U.S., but I'll be visiting my daughter in North Bondi in early November (visited in September last year, too). I'm wondering--is the gluten-free food in the freezer section well marked? Is there a special section actually? I can't wait to try the pies! I haven't eaten pie in nearly eight years....and will probably go crazy and spend my money carelessly on pies, tortellini, and other gluten-free stuff. I'd better have enough $$ left over to visit Hunter Valley!!

I'm also really looking forward to ordering gluten-free sandwiches--you can't find such things here in the U.S. Subway has launched a trial program, but it's only offered in Texas and Oregon at the moment. It's odd how some things are difficult to find here and others are difficult to find there in Oz.

anabananakins Explorer

I live in California in the U.S., but I'll be visiting my daughter in North Bondi in early November (visited in September last year, too). I'm wondering--is the gluten-free food in the freezer section well marked? Is there a special section actually? I can't wait to try the pies! I haven't eaten pie in nearly eight years....and will probably go crazy and spend my money carelessly on pies, tortellini, and other gluten-free stuff. I'd better have enough $$ left over to visit Hunter Valley!!

I'm also really looking forward to ordering gluten-free sandwiches--you can't find such things here in the U.S. Subway has launched a trial program, but it's only offered in Texas and Oregon at the moment. It's odd how some things are difficult to find here and others are difficult to find there in Oz.

Hi Rose,

Go to Coles and yes, it's in a well marked section. In my local Coles the gluten free stuff is near the frozen veges. There isn't a big label on the outside, but you'll see the boxes are labeled. Be careful though - they keep some vegetarian stuff (Quorn) in the same section, and that is NOT gluten free.

I think the Coles at Bondi Junction will be your best bet. That's actually a pretty huge store so there should be a bunch of stuff (plus that store has a huge range of kosher foods which I always find fascinating).

Woolies have a pretty decent selection of the bakery type mixes (usually altogether in the 'health food' aisle (and I shop there a fair bit for naturally gluten free foods), but generally I find Coles better for gluten free pre-made stuff.

The gluten free shortbread that both stock (it's called something like purely butter? It sure has enough butter in it - delicious and goes straight to the hips) that I really love too :)

Let me know if I can help you with anything :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

Anabananakins,

Thanks for the great advice! I love finding new gluten-free products to try...and I know exactly which shortbread cookies you're referring to: Butter Finger Pure Butter Shortbread Cookies. I discovered them on my last trip to Australia, and I ended up bringing home eight boxes with me so that I could share them with my mom and son (who also have celiac). My daughter sent me several boxes for Mother's Day, along with another shortbread cookie that has icing in between--yum!! I've tried to replicate the yumminess of these cookies, but I can't quite do it....so I guess I'll have to buy all the boxes on the shelf and bring them home with me! Maybe I could bring an empty suitcase with me....

Saz Explorer

Did anyone else try the Macro crumpet mix yet?

I had a go yesterday and it didn't work to well. I've ended up with some strange cross between a pikelet, crumpet and a naan bread.

Mine didn't really bubble on the top, of the few that did they burst when I flipped them. So I ended up with two flat sides. Also had a bit trouble with cooking them evenly, even when I turned the heat down they still seemed to burn on on the bottoms but not cook inside.

Despite the fact I had so much trouble they taste fairly good. If I I'd got them to cook properly I think they would have been so close to the real thing.

Was just wondering if anyone else had trouble?

Also I tried the donut mix and they were very tasty. I wish they would sell pre made ones. Surely if people buy the packet mix they would buy pre done ones as well.

anabananakins Explorer

I had a go yesterday and it didn't work to well. I've ended up with some strange cross between a pikelet, crumpet and a naan bread.

Mine didn't really bubble on the top, of the few that did they burst when I flipped them. So I ended up with two flat sides. Also had a bit trouble with cooking them evenly, even when I turned the heat down they still seemed to burn on on the bottoms but not cook inside.

Despite the fact I had so much trouble they taste fairly good. If I I'd got them to cook properly I think they would have been so close to the real thing.

Also I tried the donut mix and they were very tasty. I wish they would sell pre made ones. Surely if people buy the packet mix they would buy pre done ones as well.

Ah, I meant to buy that mix this weekend - it was so gloomy and rainy here in Sydney - but I totally forgot. Shame about the lack of bubbles. Crumpets are one of those products I never imagined making from scratch, I just never really understood how they worked. Good to hear though that they tasted good and nearly right. I'll let you know how I go when I get the mix.

And I totally hear you on donuts! I really, really miss donut king cinnamon donuts. Surely they could do pre-made frozen ones? I was really impressed how similar the frozen lamingtons were to the real thing.

anabananakins Explorer

Anabananakins,

Thanks for the great advice! I love finding new gluten-free products to try...and I know exactly which shortbread cookies you're referring to: Butter Finger Pure Butter Shortbread Cookies. I discovered them on my last trip to Australia, and I ended up bringing home eight boxes with me so that I could share them with my mom and son (who also have celiac). My daughter sent me several boxes for Mother's Day, along with another shortbread cookie that has icing in between--yum!! I've tried to replicate the yumminess of these cookies, but I can't quite do it....so I guess I'll have to buy all the boxes on the shelf and bring them home with me! Maybe I could bring an empty suitcase with me....

That's them! Hee, you're probably the reason why I couldn't find any last time ;-) (kidding!)

I brought an extra suitcase to bring back food from my trip to the US and UK recently. Alas, none of the snickerdoodles made it back. I ate 5 boxes during a grand total of 7 days in the states (actually, that's disgusting, I really didn't realise it was quite so many in so short a time...)

beebs Enthusiast

They did the same thing for me too- ended up being a pancake type thing - although they did taste good. Ive got the donuts in the pantry so I'll let you know.

Did you mean the 'patties' lamingtons anna? If so they are delish- heated up in the microwave - you'd never know they weren't wheat!

Archived