This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

Ohhhhh, english muffins!!!!! I had them in the UK, they were good! And crumpets!!! I had them cold in the UK which wasn't bad but I couldn't toast them because it was a shared toaster. That's so sad about the bellyhoo pies though :( I haven't had one in a while (it's really hard to eat low carb when there's all this goodness coming out!) but they were there at coles last time I looked (a week ago maybe?) It would be a shame if they stopped selling them. They were so good they should take the gluten free label off (or rather, make it smaller) and sell them in the regular pie section, give sara lee a run for their money. Would get them more sales because most people would see gluten free and think ugh.

Also had cold Crumpets in the UK, although due to not having a toaster at all. Have tried the english muffins, they aren't quite the same as what I remember normal ones tasting but still delicious and make a tastier breakfast than bread. Can't wait to try the crumpets next! There are number of other products in that range in UK, including little apple pies.

I think with the bellyhoo products, any coles that still has them will the last of their stock. When I looked online at several stores didn't have them listed anymore. If they are just out of stock it will be listed like that on the site.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anabananakins Explorer

Also had cold Crumpets in the UK, although due to not having a toaster at all. Have tried the english muffins, they aren't quite the same as what I remember normal ones tasting but still delicious and make a tastier breakfast than bread. Can't wait to try the crumpets next! There are number of other products in that range in UK, including little apple pies.

I think with the bellyhoo products, any coles that still has them will the last of their stock. When I looked online at several stores didn't have them listed anymore. If they are just out of stock it will be listed like that on the site.

Such a shame about the bellyhoo products. I'll check tonight and will stock up if they have any left. I was disappointed this year that my local coles didn't sell those mini hot cross buns. I got some at another Coles, and my mum found them for me where she lives, but I got way less than last year :-( I suspect though that there are not many people buying gluten free products in my local store, I pop by many times a week because I am too disorganised to do a big shop, and I keep an eye on what is moving. Last year they ended up heavily discounting the hot cross buns (and I ate DOZENS of them, hehehe)

Saz Explorer

Such a shame about the bellyhoo products. I'll check tonight and will stock up if they have any left. I was disappointed this year that my local coles didn't sell those mini hot cross buns. I got some at another Coles, and my mum found them for me where she lives, but I got way less than last year :-( I suspect though that there are not many people buying gluten free products in my local store, I pop by many times a week because I am too disorganised to do a big shop, and I keep an eye on what is moving. Last year they ended up heavily discounting the hot cross buns (and I ate DOZENS of them, hehehe)

I had trouble finding them as well. They ended up been stuck on random shelves with the other desserty things. If it was the the Simpy wize ones, they weren't as nice as last year. I think the put less spice in them.

anabananakins Explorer

I found bellyhoo pies last night, but it does look like the supply is being run down. I bought cherry and apple and have managed to eat both apple ones, blahh! So not what my waistline needed, I lurched between hating you all for telling me that that they'd soon be gone and loving you all for giving me the chance to eat them before to vanish, hahahaha. The cherry ones are stashed at the back of the freezer.

I found the english muffins in with the regular english muffins which was just super depressing because the regular ones smelled SO GOOD and were also on special for 2 for $5 while one packet of the livingwell ones cost $7. I couldn't see crumpets and I've decided to hold out for them since I did have the english muffins last year in the UK. I'm going to write to Coles and tell them to make one big gluten free display like they do with the bread because I would never in a million years have looked on that shelf if I hadn't known to look. That section is the invisible to me bit of the store.

mushroom Proficient

What is it with stores that mix all the gluten-free up with all the gluteny things. Do they really think you are going to spend the whole day searching through the store in the (usually) vain hope or on the offchance that they might have something hidden away in there that is gluten free? And that I might possibly consider buying..... I would never go looking for gluten free crumpets!!! :o I am going on strike and refusing to shop in stores that don't have separate gluten free aisles. I was in a store that other day that had moved its Udi's bread from out in the middle of the bakery section where it was last year to right over by the entrance to the bakery out back :blink: - if I had gone any further I would have been in the ovens :rolleyes:

beebs Enthusiast

Heck yeah - in fact I *avoid* the bakery section usually, why on earth would I even go to that side of the store??

anabananakins Explorer

I wrote to Coles this morning, hopefully they'll take it on board. Those gluten-gluttons probably don't realise that we treat the bakery section like it's full of poison. I specifically wrote that they'd hidden the english muffins in the "invisible to me" section of the store ;)

Has anyone seen the macro foods gluten free flour? Woolworths are crazy, they are stocking in on the same shelves as the regular flour! And we all know how the regular flour bags manage to spread flour dust all over the place, I think that aisle is a health hazard and usually skeddadle past on the way to the nuts but I was with friends the other day and saw it. Ridiculous, the gluten free flour bags (sealed plastic) were all getting dusty from the bags above - the second we touch one we are glutening our hands, everything else in the trolley etc. Plus, why would I look there when they have a whole gluten free section in the healthfood aisle? I'll keep buying the white wings flour thankyouverymuch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Can we work up a letter for supermarkets something like this:

Dear Woolies / Coles / NewWorld / Countdown (NZ too) and whoever else:

It is hard enough to be a gluten free shopper. It is even harder when there is no agreed gluten free color coding. It is so much harder when you put the gluten free products in amongst the organic foods (as if they were the same thing). It is triply hard when you hand us a list when we walk into your market listing the gluten free items you carry and make us do a treasure hunt to find where you might have located those products.

Gluten free shoppers do not stop in the bakery department. Gluten free shoppers do not stop in the regular flour aisle. Gluten free shoppers do not stop at the gluten-filled deli cases filled with sausage rolls and pies and probably contaminated cold cuts. Gluten free shoppers do not even pause in the biscuit aisle, let alone peruse the bread racks. Gluten free shoppers head to where the gluten free stuff is. If your store does not have a place where you stock the gluten free stuff, gluten free shoppers will pass you by. I used to pass three NewWorld markets who played the "Hide and Seek" game and go several miles out of my way to make my gluten free shopping experience more enjoyable and efficient at a market who cared about my business.

Keep in mind, there is no point in leading me past all your gluten-filled goodies, because there is no chance that I will impulse buy any of them. I am there for gluten free only, and if you make my life difficult you have lost my custom.

Show me you care and I will patronise your store.

Saz Explorer

Okay I can't be bothered to quote bits from everyone so here goes:

I have seen the woolies gluten-free flour. The store I went to had it in the health food section.

I don't mind that they put the bread in the normal bakery section but I do object to the way they move it around the section, the oher brands all manage to stay in the spot. Also put the Livwell stuff with the Aussie brands. Having said that some people do look, I went back to the store I bought the muffins at and they were all gone along with most of the stock of the pitta and rolls. Took it as a good sign. Anyone who saw me in the store when I discovered them must have thought I was odd, had a big stupid grin on my face as I picked up the packet.

Think most people have figured out that the Bellyhoo range is been discontinued. I went to a store today that always seemed to have a full shelf of them, thinking I would stock only to nab the very last box which was sour cherry. So unfair I know they had plenty last Thursday.

anabananakins Explorer

love the letter shroomie! I need to use it for woolies. Coles I'm mostly happy with.

Yeah, I don't mind about the bread because I know that bread is filled by the bread reps and not the store. But the other bread products would be better together. I looked in the crumpet section again last night but no luck and I won't go there again, it's too traumatising smelling the proper english muffins. Good to know that other people are finding them. Maybe brand new celiacs, or those who shop for other family members.

Saz, if you're near the north shore, I saw the bellyhoo pies there and they still had a bunch last night. PM me if you want the exact store (don't want to give away my location too precisely on the thread!)

Saz Explorer

Saz, if you're near the north shore, I saw the bellyhoo pies there and they still had a bunch last night. PM me if you want the exact store (don't want to give away my location too precisely on the thread!)

Thanks, sadly I'm in the wrong state. Actaully wondering if Bellyhoo have gone bust, the website is just the logo with a message saying it been updated soon.

Be patient with the Crumpets. I think they are only really new and I know that neither them or the muffins were listed on the online store I checked just over a week ago. Have been checking regulary since I discovered that Coles would be stocking Livwell.

Resisted they urge to buy more muffins today, went with country life bread instead. Costs a bit less and get more out of a pack... but then I get sick of it sometimes and it goes off.

Saz Explorer

For anyone who wants to have look Open Original Shared Link

Di2011 Enthusiast

Woolworths are crazy, they are stocking in on the same shelves as the regular flour! And we all know how the regular flour bags manage to spread flour dust all over the place, I think that aisle is a health hazard and usually skeddadle past on the way to the nuts but I was with friends the other day and saw it. Ridiculous, the gluten free flour bags (sealed plastic) were all getting dusty from the bags above - the second we touch one we are glutening our hands, everything else in the trolley etc. Plus, why would I look there when they have a whole gluten free section in the healthfood aisle? I'll keep buying the white wings flour thankyouverymuch.

I've worked in a supermarket and you are absolutely worthy of being concerned. The regular flour in particular is packed to be exploding flour. Lots of paper bags full of powder which are packed in paper/flimsy bags packed to break. Full stop no argument.

In our "true" gluten free environment gluten free is kept away from gluten free. But we a long way from that. I have had many a moment lately wishing for a Canberra, Australia, gluten free store that regardless of cost I can trust to be just so. Probably a long way off. But it will happen. Health consequence and COST will dictate it rather than my (and sons) DH and current inability to eat out. Just my opinion. And am patient.

anabananakins Explorer

I've worked in a supermarket and you are absolutely worthy of being concerned. The regular flour in particular is packed to be exploding flour. Lots of paper bags full of powder which are packed in paper/flimsy bags packed to break. Full stop no argument.

In our "true" gluten free environment gluten free is kept away from gluten free. But we a long way from that. I have had many a moment lately wishing for a Canberra, Australia, gluten free store that regardless of cost I can trust to be just so. Probably a long way off. But it will happen. Health consequence and COST will dictate it rather than my (and sons) DH and current inability to eat out. Just my opinion. And am patient.

Yep, I worked in a supermarket too, for years. I am so glad I left before I went gluten free. The flour everywhere was the least of the stuff I got covered in back then, eek.

It will be interesting to see what the future brings. There is such awareness now. And even if a store isn't entirely gluten free, they can be safe *if they take the care to try*. It's weird though, I feel a disconnect between the fields of wheat that are such a big important crop here and 'gluten' which I just see as evil. It must be hard being gluten free in a farming community where you are saying that the crops that are so important to your neighbours are utter poison to you. In the city, the connection is less there.

josie656 Newbie

Hi - Josie in Auckland here. Just saying hi as don't really have any product info. Think Venerdi is the best bread not sure if you get that. Last time round I bought all kinds of gluten free cakes and biscuits but this time I'm trying not to do that. I was on the SCD for a while and picked up some great almond flour recipes for cakes and cake like breads - really recommend baking with almond flour. (and honey instead of sugar). Expensive but comes out great. Would love to hear from people in NZ. Loving quinoa at the moment, lentils, soups. Trying not to overdose on rice like I did last time I was gluten free!

anabananakins Explorer

Hi Josie! We don't get that bread, I don't think. But handy to know.

Yeah, I overdosed on jacket potatoes when I first went gluten free :)

mushroom Proficient

Welcome, Josie. I like Venerdi's bread too, but it does have to be toasted. I really like their toasting Baps with cream cheese. We have the Totally Gluten Free Bakery in ChCh which bakes great bread for sandwiches - soft and yummy. They also bake lots of other gluten free goodies but don't know if they make it out of ChCh. It's kind of a family place and got munted in the earthquake but relocated.

I was like bananakins in that I O'Ded on jacket potatoes, so much so that I am intolerant of them now. :( I do orange kumaras instead now, and not too many :ph34r:

anabananakins Explorer

Shroomie, I always wanted to visit Chch and never got around to it and the earthquake was kind of a major dampener (which made me feel bad as I'm sure tourists are needed) but I may well fly over for a gluten free bakery! We had one here in Leichhardt but it closed down.

mushroom Proficient

It's kinda hard turning earthquake rubble into a tourist attraction. :rolleyes: Come and see our munted cathedral which is half 'deconstructed' already. Come and stay in our deconstructed hotels. :P Experience the earth move!!! :ph34r: At least you can still visit the Botanic Gardens and go to the Antarctic Center - pet a penguin.

anabananakins Explorer

It's kinda hard turning earthquake rubble into a tourist attraction. :rolleyes: Come and see our munted cathedral which is half 'deconstructed' already. Come and stay in our deconstructed hotels. :P Experience the earth move!!! :ph34r: At least you can still visit the Botanic Gardens and go to the Antarctic Center - pet a penguin.

So true! On one hand, the loss of tourist dollars must really hit hard, but on the other hand, you probably don't want them cluttering up the place either! And yeah, the issue of what to see (that's not being totally nosy about peoples destroyed lives) And I don't have any desire to know what an earthquake feels like... the penguins though, you could sell me on that :)

josie656 Newbie

Hi all,

I noticed recently (while trying to check if I was allowed the goodies on the office table) that Cadbury website has a page with gluten information, listing all the products that do and don't contain gluten. Pretty good. Be nice if all companies did that. Re soy sauce, I was pretty sure tamari wheat free was also gluten free. Hope that's right. Gotta love orgran. I love their falafal - it is even SCD compliant.

josie656 Newbie

There's a gluten free bakery in Auckland too. Called Marx - it's in St Helliers. Really good range. Not that I've been there since this recent return to gluten free. Might visit soon! Yes Venerdi does need to be toasted, haven't really found a gluten free bread that doesn't need to be.

edibleart Newbie

Hello everyone *waving* :D

I just joined today and have been reading your posts with much interest.

Regarding the Bellyhoo pies, I rang the company today and am waiting on a phone call back for my nearest stockist. I also rang Coles head office and the woman I spoke to is going to find out why the line was deleted from stores. I told her how difficult it is to get products that are safe and that taste great, so I hope she can find out for me.

I'll intro myself properly in coming posts..

Joanne

amber Explorer

Hi all,

I noticed recently (while trying to check if I was allowed the goodies on the office table) that Cadbury website has a page with gluten information, listing all the products that do and don't contain gluten. Pretty good. Be nice if all companies did that. Re soy sauce, I was pretty sure tamari wheat free was also gluten free. Hope that's right. Gotta love orgran. I love their falafal - it is even SCD compliant.

Many companies don't list gluten free products as much anymore as the labelling laws mean that you don't really need to refer to them. I am not sure if you are in NZ or Aus. but I assume the laws are the same in that any allergy causing ingredient must be listed on the label whichs makes determining if a product is gluten free so much easier than it was a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...
beebs Enthusiast

Shroomie, I always wanted to visit Chch and never got around to it and the earthquake was kind of a major dampener (which made me feel bad as I'm sure tourists are needed) but I may well fly over for a gluten free bakery! We had one here in Leichhardt but it closed down.

Oh NO! Are you serious?! Healthy feast has shut down:( Boohoo. They did amazing cakes!

Archived