This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

Have today found a bunch of gluten-free stuff- Oh so helpfully in the bread and bakery aisle, ( not the fresh bakerey section). I found a box of individual brownies from Cakemark and biscuits and fruit bites from Jon Jon. The fruit bites look the mince pies they put out at Christmas except that they came in apricot or berry. I guess the good thing about them been in the normal section means people might buy them by accident. All them seemed to be around the $5 mark, still a bit more expensive the no gluten-free but reasonable compared to some of the ones you buy at health places. You can buy brownie mix and get more but sometimes you don't have time to cook. Also I think other people find it less daunting to buy something for you if they don't have to venture into the health food aisle, wheater not it's just telling to buy a specific brand or something with gluten free written on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amber Explorer

For those who live in Melbourne (particularly in the south eastern suburbs) there is a great gluten free bakery in Moorabbin called Glutenfree4you. They have the usual breads, pies, sausage rolls, cakes etc. PLUS gluten free donuts, jam donuts, canoli and other amazing gluten free goodies. My daughter had her first gluten free jam donut on the weekend and last week she had a yummy canoli.

Here is a link to their website. Check before visting for opening hours.

Open Original Shared Link

beebs Enthusiast

My local coles have bellyhoo pies back in - yay!

Saz Explorer

My local coles have bellyhoo pies back in - yay!

I noticed some in one near me the other day, thought it must have been the last of the stock but maybe it was new. Have been saving the ones I had. Not sure what happened but a shame they went out of stock in the cooler months- perfect pie weather.

• 5 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

Just tried the new improved (according to packaging) Country Life bread. It seems slightly larger and thicker than before, also a slightly different taste/texture- not sure if I prefer it yet.

Either I haven't paid attention the last few times I've bought it or the price has also gone up to $6.70. I know it's only about $1 more but part of the reason I'd previously bought was for cheapness, and it's now about the same as some other nicer brands. At least for my taste.

What does everyone else think?

beebs Enthusiast

I came on to mention the new Country life as well Saz!

I Think it is 100 times better than it was before. It doesn't smell like the ocean when toasting and tastes like real bread. It is more expensive, but still cheaper than shar and those other brands. I am well impressed with it. I basically have only eaten this bakery bread (so I went a year without bread) until now. I just couldn't get past how bad country life was. I think the new one is so much better, I had it for breakfast and lunch already. haha!

Saz Explorer

I came on to mention the new Country life as well Saz!

I Think it is 100 times better than it was before. It doesn't smell like the ocean when toasting and tastes like real bread. It is more expensive, but still cheaper than shar and those other brands. I am well impressed with it. I basically have only eaten this bakery bread (so I went a year without bread) until now. I just couldn't get past how bad country life was. I think the new one is so much better, I had it for breakfast and lunch already. haha!

Yea. Had some for toast this morning and am impressed at how well it came out. It toasted all the way through and the crust didn't go hard. Have also tried it just as a sandwich again, still not sure if I like it better just as bread. Looking foward to trying the fruit loaf though, should make a tasty breakfast if it toasts as well as the multigrain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

anabananakins Explorer

Gluten Free Expo in Sydney!

Open Original Shared Link

Today and tomorrow. Oops late notice :)

anabananakins Explorer

Also, yay about the new country life bread! I saw it and it looked sooooooo much better than the evil old stuff. Good for them. I don't really eat bread but glad there's a good one easily available. I was on teaching prac awhile back and I noticed a child's sandwich disintegrating into a pile of crumbs and thought, yep, that kid's gluten free :-)

• 3 weeks later...
come dance with me Enthusiast

Those in cyclone and flood prone areas, are you prepared for the cyclone/wet season? What sort of things do you have in your pantry? It's probably in here somewhere, but the thread is so long and my eyes are so sore lol.

Saz Explorer

In case anyone is super organised, woolworths have started seling gluten-free fruit mince bites and Christmas puddings. The puddings come in a largeish version or two mini ones. they are hiding in amongst all the regular Christmas stuff, which most stores already seem to have shelves of. I found one store which had spread it around, maybe they think we won't notice if try to hide it?

mushroom Proficient

I was considering boycotting all stores that try to hide their gluten-free stuff, but then, if they don't sell any it just means one less place that carries it. What to do? What to do?

(I've tried threatening them, told them I drive past their market to shop somewhere else. Any other ideas on how to get them to have a dedicated gluten free section? Telling them I just get angry foraging around amongst all the gluten stuff that I will never buy just does not seem to cut the mustard.)

• 2 weeks later...
icm Apprentice

The new country life bakery loaves are great. 'Tis a shame they had to add soy and maize as it seems lots of people do badly with these.

Also to all Australians and New Zealanders who have a relative with TYPE 1 DIABETES: An opportunity awaits.

The people conducting a trial for preventing type 1 diabetes are in desperate need for people to have a blood screening test to see whether they are at risk for IDDM by measuring antibody responses.

I think everyone here should be screened (esp. if celiac), even if purely for peace of mind: Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
Saz Explorer

I found a new brand of bread in coles. It's called Pure-bred and is made in Ireland. It only comes in a small loaf but I think the slices are slighty bigger than other brands. It costs about $5

Straight out of the packet it has that plasticy look, but once you heat it is nice and soft and doen't crumble. I rekon you could almost moosh it like normal bread. The taste is good as well.

Know I should proberly support the Aussie companies but that's hard when the imported products taste so much better.

Ebonyjade93 Rookie

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has a list of naturally gluten free foods in Aus, I know there are lists about health foods, but I would love to have a list with foods that do not state that they are gluten free, but they actually are.

Saz Explorer

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has a list of naturally gluten free foods in Aus, I know there are lists about health foods, but I would love to have a list with foods that do not state that they are gluten free, but they actually are.

Unfortunetly apart from palin fruit and vegetable it is a case of always needing to read a label. There isn't a catagory of food that is always gluten-free, even plain rice should be checked just in case it has been processed on the same line as pasta.

There a lot of youghurts that are ok but not labeled. Not sure how new you are to this but even if you find something not labeled gluten-free, it is a good to check ingredients regulary as companies often change ingredients.

anabananakins Explorer

EbonyJade, like Saz says, read the label, there are tonnes that are fine but no easy list. Is there any product in particuar that you're wondering about? We could let you know what we eat. There are quite a few that are in the regular parts of the supermarket. I'm in Coles practically every day and I'd be happy to check anything you were curious about.

Shroomie, I know, it's very annoying! I emailed Coles to say that we weren't going to find the crumpets and english muffins if they buried them in amongst the regular ones but did they listen? Nope. I still haven't bought them because when I look at the packets right next to the regular ones I remember how much I loved the regular ones and why bother paying so much more for something that won't taste as good? Yet my attitude when I saw them in England amongst a bunch of other gluten free products was YAY!!! because I was so excited to see so many options. They just don't get it but you think they'd take our free advice!

And I saw woolworths stock gluten free flour (the macro brand) on the shelves with the regular flour, those bags of dust!!!! Insane, there's no way I'd touch anything from near there, it'd be all over my hands and I'd for sure touch my mouth without thinking.

Yum, bread, thanks for the heads up Saz! I've been on a bit of a Dovedale bender latety. Tooooasssssst!

icm Apprentice

I found a new brand of bread in coles. It's called Pure-bred and is made in Ireland. It only comes in a small loaf but I think the slices are slighty bigger than other brands. It costs about $5

Straight out of the packet it has that plasticy look, but once you heat it is nice and soft and doen't crumble. I rekon you could almost moosh it like normal bread. The taste is good as well.

Know I should proberly support the Aussie companies but that's hard when the imported products taste so much better.

Pure Bred is really good, I much prefer it over Country Life. Nicer packaging and less nasty ingredients.

come dance with me Enthusiast

Still no vegan bread on the market.

Saz Explorer

Pure Bred is really good, I much prefer it over Country Life. Nicer packaging and less nasty ingredients.

I tried the multigrain pure-bred this week- just as nice as the white. Planning on trying the rolls next - if I can find them. Not sure if everyone is trying them or if they aren't getting a lot of stock but I keep seeing the price tag and a empty shelf in a lot of places. I hope it's because everyone is buying it up.

Mack the Knife Explorer

Still no vegan bread on the market.

Orgran bread mix can be made as vegan bread. I've tried it that way and it is quite nice. But it does taste better when you add the egg and milk powder.

I think that Silly Yaks bread is vegan but you need to check that because I'm not certain.

Saz Explorer

For anyone interested, I have noticed a few Coles stores have started selling Garlic and corriander naan breads from the livwell range. .

mushroom Proficient

I think it is about time that Coles moved over here!! We have little/no competition between Woolies dba Countdown, and Foodstuffs, dba New World and their budget line Pak 'n Save. And the prices are outrageous -- for everything!

Saz Explorer

Over here Woolies and Coles are the main two.

mushroom Proficient

Over here Woolies and Coles are the main two.

You mean another basically non-competitive environment??? Ye Gods, I hate it when everyone buys everyone else up and then they do what they durned well please. And then when your banks come over here and buy up all our banks, and then buy each other up :ph34r: - well, now I'm looking for another bank again!! (third time) :lol:

Archived