This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

Tonight for my dinner I had CRUMBED chicken s$#&znel that I bought from Woolworths. I found them in the fresh meat setion. No idea how long they've had them because they in the part of the fridge I don't check because they never have anything. They are hard to spot because the packaging is the same as the gluten one, except it says gluten free. Anyway they are delcious, if someone had just served it to me I would have questioned it been gluten-free.

About $7 for 6.

I put ham and chesse on mine. Closest thing to real chicken parma I've had in years and years.

I like buying food in the regular section, makes me feel normal but starting to think it would be easier if they just dedicated an entire section to gluten-free. Frozen, fresh and all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
come dance with me Enthusiast

Tonight for my dinner I had CRUMBED chicken s$#&znel that I bought from Woolworths. I found them in the fresh meat setion. No idea how long they've had them because they in the part of the fridge I don't check because they never have anything. They are hard to spot because the packaging is the same as the gluten one, except it says gluten free. Anyway they are delcious, if someone had just served it to me I would have questioned it been gluten-free.

About $7 for 6.

I put ham and chesse on mine. Closest thing to real chicken parma I've had in years and years.

I like buying food in the regular section, makes me feel normal but starting to think it would be easier if they just dedicated an entire section to gluten-free. Frozen, fresh and all.

I shop at Foodworks and they have everything with the regular ones, so the gluten free bread is in the bread section, the pasta is in the pasta section, the cereal is in the cereal section, and so on.  It does make it easier because when I went to Coles last week I couldn't find what we needed, completely forgot that it was in the health food section, it's been a long time since we've been there and they've renovated so the whole thing has changed since our last visit.

auzzi Newbie

Bürgen® gluten-free bread is a NZ product that's been available for years. Currently, there is only the three types, but mine like  it better than their previous bread-of-choice.

Only the specific gluten-free manufacturers have their products in the Health Section. Most of the product, that happens to be gluten-free, is spread throughout the supermarket. For example, gluten-free products like San Remo Pasta, Carmen's Muesli Bars, Macro flours, Changs Rice Noodles, Kikkoman Soy Sauce, Select White corn tortillas, etc are all located in their respective product aisles. Even, gluten-free bread is in with it's glutenous counterparts. 

• 2 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

The above are a new line of frozen meals- found them in Wollies tonight. They cost $7. Slightly cheaper than some other specially gluten-free ones, just a bit annoying because the same company has sold a butter chicken for about $4 for a long time, which from memory was ok by ingredient but had the may contain warning.  Think I will wait until they go on special and buy them then.

Really looking foward to my butter chicken for lunch tomorrow!

Saz Explorer

Had the butter chicken for lunch- it's really good.

Weight Watchers Spinach and Pumpkin Rissotto is gluten free, might have mentioned it but worth mentioning again.  It's not vegan so I don't know what it tastes like, but nobody I know has had a problem :)

Saz Explorer

Weight Watchers Spinach and Pumpkin Rissotto is gluten free, might have mentioned it but worth mentioning again.  It's not vegan so I don't know what it tastes like, but nobody I know has had a problem :)

Last time I checked the Tikka Masla and chicken Satay were also ok. There might be a few more but the info is hard to find online and there is only so many I can check in the supermarket without getting frozen fingers!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Just wanted to say how much I love Leda!  Going out tonight and just stocked up on Leda brand snacks.

• 2 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

For those who eat the Pure Bred range- In coles today I noticed two new versions, a fruit bread and a chia seed loaf. I got the Chia one. I had orginally picked up a loaf of genius bread. The first time ever that I have thought about which gluten-free bread I actually I wanted to buy! They also had the livwell white Rolls on special so was a tough choice today!

Also one of my local healthy life stores has started selling Nak'd Bars. For those not famillar they are a type of raw food bar made in the Uk. I discovered them by accident on my first trip there. I wasn't near a supermarket and couldn't find a cafe doing gluten-free, starving went into Holland and Barret and found Nak'd bars.  I usally don't like raw food bars but I love these. The healthy life I went t to had cocoa and orange, a berry one and cashew cookie. The range in the Uk also includes bananna flavour, a ginger one and a rhubarb and custard one.

Think I should just move over there- all the gluten-free things I bought today come from there.

• 3 weeks later...
Sammykins Newbie

Hello! First post. I'm from from Sydney and have NCGI, or at least it appears that way as I only have one half of the HLA-DQ8 gene and none of HLA-DQ2. I started phasing out gluten in July last year when I realised that bread and pasta were greatly worsening the gastrointestinal side effects of a medication I was taking at the time. I'm not prepared to go back on gluten to rule out coeliac definitively due to the excruciating pain, fatigue and brain fog I experience, and the very low probability (<1%) that I have it based on my test results. A meal containing gluten wipes me out for at least a week.

I'm very happy to have energy and a working digestive system and brain again! The lethargy and physical/cognitive slowing were the last of my symptoms of severe Open Original Shared Link which have not responded to treatment, have been preventing me from being able to work for over 2 years and have held me back from properly living my life for over 10! I still have depression and have to really work at staying in remission (I finally consider myself mostly there), but the difference is startling. I even occasionally entertain the idea of resuming my tertiary studies from which I had to withdraw due to the f*$&@£% depression.

Anyway, pleased to meet you, shame about the circumstances! ;-)

Saz Explorer

Hi Sammykins, Welcome to the board!

This thread isn't as active as it used to be, but a number of us still lurk around and will do our best to answer any questions.

Can I suggest that you post any questions relating to specific products here. As you probably realise, this is an international forum but some products that are gluten-free in one country may not be in every elsewhere. A really good example is M&Ms. M&Ms produced here in Aus are not gluten-free, but the ones made in the US are ok.  Also there are some products which may have the same name, but are infact completely different, depending on the country you live.

You might not believe it right now, but been gluten-free is easier than it ever has been. Going back as little as 8-10 years ago, it was hard to find suitable products in the supermarket. You usualy had to go to the health food store and if what you got was close to edible it was a bonus.

Some of the products I like are:

San Remo gluten free pasta- This can usaually be found with the regular pasta in the supermarket.

For Bread products I love Genius bread, Livwell range or Purebred. All available at Coles and the later of the two available at Woolies. All three ranges are imported from various locations in the U.K. Purebred and livwell are defrosted before been sold and Genius is sold frozen. I think some people object to that and the fact that is has traveled so far, but personally I think the three ranges are the closest thing to real bread you can get.

Also Coles recently introduced their own range of gluten-free. At first I tried to avoid it because they seemed to stop stocking brand names to fit their own range in, but I've tried a few products in the range now and have been impressed, I especiallly like the quinoa micro cups and the ginger biscuits.

Hope this helps a little.

Sammykins Newbie

Thanks Saz!

I haven't tried the Genius bread yet as it comes frozen, which is silly really as what do I do when I buy my gluten-free bread? Keep out a few slices and freeze the rest!

I don't suppose you or any other members know of any gluten-free bread products (any form) which are higher in fibre? I will very likely soon be diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (they are ruling out a whole bunch of other endocrinological illnesses, but it looks very much like RH). Most gluten-free breads are high GI which wouldn't be helpful. Pairing high GI food with adequate protein/fats lowers the GI, but I had a massive hypo recently involving a Choices gluten-free bagel which resulted in 3 x convulsive syncopes in a row and an ER visit. And this was despite also having a mini tub of philli cheese and about 100g of chicken (so fat & protein). The bagel was quite nice, incidentally, just not the effect!

I agree that San Remo pasta is the best. The worst would have to be the buontempo rice spirals. BLERCH.

Saz Explorer

Not very good with other health food but maybe a loaf with seeds, like Chia? I think they are susposed to be good for  fibre.

• 3 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

One of my local coles has got a bunch of American products in and also somce of the schar range. The American ones seems to be from Glutino and another brand that have a kind of instant pad thai. Seems that they are getting rid of some of things they had previously but at least some of what they are getting in seems to be different instead of just chocolate biscuits in another brand. I bought some of the glutino toaster pastries- they are meant to be like pop tarts I think. I've prepared myslef for the fact they will most likely taste like cardboard. At least I've never had a real pop tart so got nothing to compare to in that sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Mack the Knife Explorer

Hi Sammykins.

I have blood test and biopsy proven Coeliac disease - and I don't have either the DQ2 or DQ8 gene. So it is possible.

But if you are off gluten and feeling better then you should stay off gluten. It's not worth making yourself sick again just for a definite diagnosis.

Saz Explorer

Coles are now selling primo branded hot roast beef portions that are marked gluten-free. They are sold in bags like the roast chicken. It is probably a bit more expensive than buying a piece to roast yourself but sure is convenient. For lunch tomorrow, I'm going to have a roast beef and mustard sandwich on genius seeded bread. YUM!

Now if they just starting selling hot gluten-free chickens I would be very happy.

Next time I go visit the relatives, I'm going to ask them to buy the hot beef instead of a chook. Then I don't have to just have salad. :)

Also, I have to start eating more fibre but I'm not big on fruits,veg,nuts. Does anyone know of something gluten-free/high fibre I can eat, without feeling like I'm been all healthy?

I bought the Coles brand spiral pasta from their Simply Gluten Free range.  We'll stick with San Remo.  It completely disintegrated into the pasta sauce.  When I looked at the ingredients in the shop I saw it was made from only cornflour so thought that might happen which is why I only bought one box.  San Remo might be nearly double the price per kg but at least it's enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

I bought the Coles brand spiral pasta from their Simply Gluten Free range.  We'll stick with San Remo.  It completely disintegrated into the pasta sauce.  When I looked at the ingredients in the shop I saw it was made from only cornflour so thought that might happen which is why I only bought one box.  San Remo might be nearly double the price per kg but at least it's enjoyable.

I don't have pasta very often but when I do is always San Remo. Defiently the best gluten-free one, I even have normally gluten eating friends who like it.

For anyone in Brisbane try Primal Pantrty. It is a cafe that serves Paleo food. So everything is gluten free,  as the diet excludes grains. Also dairy free. It's really nice to be able to order anything from the menu.

• 4 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

Has anyone tried the Coles Brand bread or any of their other "fresh" bakery products from Simply range? I tried the lamingtons- they have a nice texture.

Sammykins Newbie

Has anyone tried the Coles Brand bread or any of their other "fresh" bakery products from Simply range? I tried the lamingtons- they have a nice texture.

I tried the Coles Simply range puff pastry the other night. I liked the taste; it didn't really puff up as gluten pastries do but I may have over cooked it. Like all pastry though, it's one of those very occasional treats in my opinion. STACKS of oil/fat drained out of it and into the pie filling and while it was baking there was a rather disturbing pool of fat on the surface of the pie too. I didn't try the pastry the day after cooking so can't vouch for how it keeps or reheats.

I haven't tried any of their other bakery products. The quinoa cups were good but are no longer for sale at my local Coles. I don't know if they are still being sold elsewhere.

Oh and regarding my bread investigations, the best one I've found so far in terms of fibre and therefore GI level is the Genius seeded loaf and rolls from the freezer section. They taste pretty good too, a tad sweet when untoasted but thankfully less so than Schär breads. I actually freaked out when I first tried it as it tasted how I remember supermarket gluten bread. The loaf really can't be used untoasted unlike those from Lifestyle Bakery and Country Life as although the taste/texture is fine (in my opinion), it falls apart even when there are no toppings or fillings. That said, I didn't have a problem with the rolls collapsing even when stuffed with a reasonably thick kangaroo burger.

Saz Explorer

Shame about the Quinoa cups, noticed the few Coles I go to hadn't had them but was hoping it was just them. Really like Quinoa but I can't seem to cook it correctly so the heat and eat cups were ideal.

Very happy about your verdict on Genius bread been best in fibre. I can now "justify" the hefty price tag. I also freaked out the first time I tried their bread. I was in the U.K and had bought it to make a sandwich for dinner. I got really worried two bites in and read just about everything on the packaging to confirm I didn't pick up the wrong type.

I will eat the Genius bread untoasted, Not sure if the crumbly factor has something to with it been frozen. When I bought it in England it wasn't frozen and survived in my suitcase really well.

I got some Lifestyle Bakery Chia and quinoa bread tonight- nice and soft and goes great with cheese and whatever gluten-free Vegemite spread you like.

Neon rainbow Newbie

Hello all, I just joined and saw this thread. I'm a kiwi, been gluten-free since before Easter this year. Very much a learning curve. But the pros have fully out weighted the cons.

:)

Addison Newbie

Hi group,

Been MIA for a bit. Welcome to the new people. Hello to every one else.

Can I ask what multi vitamin you all use. I recently found out Swisse has discontinued their gluten free womens multi. Pretty disappointed! The chemist tried to tell me the normal multi is gluten-free but reading the ingredients it contains gluten from muesli.

Addison Newbie

Has any one tried the Helgas gluten-free bread? I saw it while I was in Adelaide but haven't seen it in Brisbane yet. Admittedly I have only looked once.

I tried the Genius bread a while back and found it very dry and broke apart when I buttered it after toasting. I wasn't a fan. I have gone back to the Golden Hearth bread for now. Still tastes like eating a sponge though.

I have been avoiding buying Coles gluten-free products as I have noticed they are pushing out competitors. Other brands now have a tiny section at my supermarket and there is a sea of coles brand. From what I have tried, the pasta was terrible and fell apart , and the puff pastry didn't puff and left a pool of oil on top (same as what some one else mentioned). I have taken to making my own pastry. Maggie Beer has a nice and easy recipe for gluten-free pastry (just google gluten free pastry Maggie Beer). It crisps up nicely.

Saz Explorer

Has any one tried the Helgas gluten-free bread? I saw it while I was in Adelaide but haven't seen it in Brisbane yet. Admittedly I have only looked once.

I tried the Genius bread a while back and found it very dry and broke apart when I buttered it after toasting. I wasn't a fan. I have gone back to the Golden Hearth bread for now. Still tastes like eating a sponge though.

I have been avoiding buying Coles gluten-free products as I have noticed they are pushing out competitors. Other brands now have a tiny section at my supermarket and there is a sea of coles brand. From what I have tried, the pasta was terrible and fell apart , and the puff pastry didn't puff and left a pool of oil on top (same as what some one else mentioned). I have taken to making my own pastry. Maggie Beer has a nice and easy recipe for gluten-free pastry (just google gluten free pastry Maggie Beer). It crisps up nicely.

Helgas is available in Brisbane. I've seen it in Coles and Woolworths stores in the city. I haven't tried it yet, it looks similar to the Brugen bread- which I tried and thought the texture was awful.

If you only tried the white genius bread, give the brown or seeded one ago. They are a lot nicer I think.

Archived