This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

Woolworths have a new created with Jamie Oliver range. It includes bakery/dessert ranges soups and predone meat things. Obviously the bakery stuff is out and I haven't checked the soups.

However alot of the meat things seem to be gluten-free. Of the five things I looked at only one seemed to contain gluten. The downside is they are expensive but at least it's not because it's marked gluten-free. Also if it is just one or two of you it is possibly cheaper. I bought the meatballs and cherry tomato one. Works out cheaper for me than if I'd bought all the ingredients and also there is only enough for a few serves so I don't have to eat it for a week. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sammykins Newbie

Thanks for the heads up, Saz. There are some good looking things in that range!

Also discovered at Woolies recently, a new brand (sorry, didn't take a note of it) of SOFT, PLIABLE WRAPS. I haven't tried them, so they may taste awful as far as I know, but I was seriously amazed at how soft and pliable they were. No breakages when folded over in the packaging. Found in the bakery section where most of the wraps are (not with the Mexican food).

Saz Explorer

Will have to look out for them. I used to biy the old time bakery ones which were good. The freedom foods ones are awful, rubbery and just funny tasting. On my to brisbane gluten-free expo. It was promoted on the project last night, along with greek festival. Bit of bad planning as the guy promoting the greek thing was talking about all the great food like honey puffs and.backlava. At no point was it implied.they were gluten-free but felt a bit mean.

come dance with me Enthusiast

Those in Ballarat, there's a restaurant called Chat For Tea that's a vegetarian/vegan restaurant with most of the menu being gluten free!  Also if you are visiting Clunes, Widow Twankeys has some really nice gluten free options on their menu.

Saz Explorer

paleo restaurants/cafes seem to be popping up a fair bit. Personaly don't see the need to eat like that all the time, but I love the fact that I can go to a paleo place and order anything from a menu as its all gluten-free.

At the expo today I tried some potato pastries from simply wize. Its a savoury pastry twist with potato in. I asked where I could buy it and was told thay the supermarkets haven't decided if they want to sell it yet. Think this shows insanity on supermarkets part, there is nothing like that available and it would be a unique thing.

It was sort of dissapointing to speak to several suppliers/makers of unique products who had found it hard to get them into the big two supermarkets. Maybe the supermarkets could consider stocking some of them in future. I don't know about anyone else but personaly I would rather have three different totaly different products to choose from, rather than three versions of choc chip biscuits, where only difference is brand name.

• 2 weeks later...
jeemb Newbie

Has anyone found any sweets, like jubes, snakes etc, that are gluten free? Every pack i check has that darned wheat glucose syrup in it! I spotted some gluten free nut bars in the supermarket today from the nice and natural company....has anyone tried these before?

i've got heaps of info from companies about gluten in their products if anyone wants me to send them some info smile.gif

i find this site so interesting too! i'm on here nearly every day, its also a comfort thing so i dont feel so alone with these issues. I can't get enough of the cooking section either, its a life saver!

Kaycee - i'm not a big sporting person but my dad enjoys the excitment of the rugby and netball so i always get updates from him. Wow you do have a lot of family over here! some of my family has been moving to the UK so who knows how many will follow lol.

Did anyone go to the gluten free food expo in Melbourne on the 12th of August? i'd love to hear what it was like smile.gif

Thanks!

Hey there Aussiepeg

All glucose syrup is safe for coeliac/gluten free (even though it mostly specifies being from wheat) - it is so highly processed that there is no gluten in it.   If that is the only thing on the lollies that is specifying wheat then they are fine to eat (some also say "thickener, from wheat" which is not ok). 

I recently attended the gluten free food expo in Brisbane and it was great.  The speakers can be really useful to see if you want any additional information.  Though I was already aware of the glucose syrup thing above (from the Coeliac Society) there was a medical professional explaining how/why it is safe etc.  Was very interesting.  Got to try loads of companies products also and buy some cheaper than usual.

I have just joined this forum, really wanting some other gluten free people to share and talk with.  I was diagnosed with coeliac disease nearly 12 months ago.   Feeling sooo much better since gluten has left my world!

:)

jeemb Newbie

Cathy,

Do you have any info on O'Brien Brewing? Saw from website they have a gluten-free beer. I also saw they will be doing something in Sydney on Sept. 29. Maybe someone could try the beer and give an opinion on it's taste.

Tom

Hi Tom

There was a gluten free beer at the Brisbane gluten free expo I went to recently.  I am not a beer drinker but it was the busiest stall at the expo and people seemed pretty happy with it.  Sorry, I cannot remember if it was O'Brien Brewing though. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Hi Jeemb and welcome to the forum!  The people you quoted and replied to haven't been visited the forum for a few years, and their posts are from 2006.  Doesn't hurt to put out good info, though :)

• 3 weeks later...
Sammykins Newbie

I just tried one of the BFree gluten-free wraps which are new to Woolworths. HOLY HELL. If you see them, be sure to nab a package even if you've been put off by all the gluten-free cardboard wraps. I've only spotted them in a couple of stores and even then, supply seems to be patchy. I think I know why!

Highlights:

- Wholegrain gluten-free flours are high up on the list as opposed to the various starches

- High in fibre - even moreso than most glutenous bread/wraps which is amazing for something gluten-free

- Low in fat as opposed to most gluten-free baked items

- Soft and pliable

- Filling due to the fibre and wholegrains

- Very tasty in my opinion!

I had mine loaded up with grilled chicken breast, a slice of bacon, tomato, avocado and lettuce. It did not break or fall apart in the slightest!

Now if only Genius would hurry up and bring out their gluten-free crumpets.

Saz Explorer

I just had a google- they seem to be UK based, The bread looks almost proper bread size!

I haven't come across them in my travels but am looking foward to trying them. The more overseas products become available here the more I start to think alot of the  products are better than those made here. It might just be my personal taste though as the type of products also seem to be a bit different.

On another topic what do people think about large places, Like RSL clubs in similar who write on the menu that they do gluten free but don't label it? I went to two places on the weekend like this. The first one I tried to pick from what I thought would be ok, only to be told it wasn't. I then asked for a list to which I was told they don't have one but I can tell them what I want. NO I CANT BECAUSE I JUST TOLD YOU AND YOU SAID NO THAT IS NOT gluten-free. I then nicely asked the server to tell me to save time, they did but not without rolling there eyes first. 

The second place I went to I again tried to pick what I thought was ok. I got lucky that time and it gluten-free but I'd had to stand in line for about ten minutes. The staff where friendly and didn't roll their eyes when they had to go check, but it still would have been frustrating if I'd stood in line all that time and had to pick something else. 

I just don't understand why places like that don't write it on the menu. They are always busy at meal times, surely it would save everyone time if they wrote on the menu. 

And another thing: Don't tell me I can have the meat in sauce dish, with veggies- just without the sauce or half the veg because you made it into a gratin. 

Sammykins Newbie

On another topic what do people think about large places, Like RSL clubs in similar who write on the menu that they do gluten free but don't label it? I went to two places on the weekend like this. The first one I tried to pick from what I thought would be ok, only to be told it wasn't. I then asked for a list to which I was told they don't have one but I can tell them what I want. NO I CANT BECAUSE I JUST TOLD YOU AND YOU SAID NO THAT IS NOT gluten-free. I then nicely asked the server to tell me to save time, they did but not without rolling there eyes first.

I like to think that they haven't labeled things because their ingredients might change or they want you to tell them so they're more careful? In any case, staff should know/ask without the eye rolls. Do they do this to people with peanut allergies? No, didn't think so. It frustrates me, too.

In a couple of restaurants where there's been statements like that on the menu, I've asked only to be handed a special gluten-free/allergy menu. So that's pretty cool. On the other hand, I've also seen menus where items are marked gluten-free when they're clearly not: dishes with soy sauce (confirmed wheat-based), beer-battered chips, Israeli couscous (no substitutes), and beef and Guinness pie. I was sorely tempted to ask the chip place which gluten-free beer they were using.

You'd think a large RSL club would be an easy place to get a meal though. It's not like their menus and suppliers change all that often, and many have HACCP certification which covers serving people with special dietary requirements.

Saz Explorer

You might be right. I actually don't mind it so much in smaller places, it is in the large busy places that it really annoys me as I feel bad for holding up the line and also I am usually with other people when I go, which means it takes longer to order and for the others on my table to get food.

I looked for the B-free wraps in Woolworths today but couldn't find them. 

I nearly screamed at the weather lady on the Today show this morning, During a cross she mentioned that the cakes in front of her where gluten and dairy free- which she thought meant she could eat all of them as they were good for you. I really hope that she or whoever scripted that don't really think that is true, At least she didn't add that it will keep her skinny, 

On an unrelated note- The next person says to me "Ohh, that is why you are so skinny" or "You must be so healthy" when I have politely refused whatever gluten filled item they have just offered me and explained why, may just be introduced to my fist. 

• 2 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

Coles has some new products. I bought a frozen burrito. They had two sorts, they are from Amy's kitchen, which is I think is a US brand. Not tried it yet but a bit exciting to buy a burrito! They also have some vegetarian meals from The Good meal co. (might have the name slightly wrong but it'd the company who also sells frozen meals in Woolies) In their own brand range they are also stocking sausage rolls but not sure if these are new or just new to the store I go to. 

Also I saw some sweet pastry from genius. Rather oddly it was in the normal pastry section which in this store is not even the same aisle as the frozen gluten-free. Not so much interest in the pastry, but as I think it's a new product I got a bit excited that crumpets might be coming soon!

Earlier in the week I also found coles own brand gluten-free banana loaf. It is quite small in height but I like the taste. I'm always really impressed with things like this. I have another non food related condition that means I don't always have time or energy to cook from scratch or even a packet mix, especially during the week, so being able to buy a microwave meal or something for a bit of morning tea on the way to work is really helpful. 

Sammykins Newbie

I haven't tried them Saz, but since you mentioned frozen ready-meals, I've spotted a newish brand in my Coles called "SuperNature Super Foods". The Mediterranean Polenta and Thai Beef with Quinoa & Brown Rice are gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

There's also Coles Simply Gluten Free apple pies, but will they stack up to the Bellyhoo ones that they seem to have discontinued?

Oh and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Purebred English muffins are pretty good, albeit expensive. But what's new there...

I'm still hanging out for those Genius crumpets! I better not have been misled by Mr Genius Rep. I had a dream the other week that I binged on an entire pack of glutenous crumpets and was in agony but couldn't tell anyone why! Egads! o_O

Sammykins Newbie

I think my local Coles is getting rid of my beloved Genius bread and/or the entire Genius range. For about a month they've had things marked as Buy 1 Get 1 Free and now there are Reduced to Clear labels. I am quite disappointed with this. I know they have a lot of different brands now, the amount of gluten-free bread on offer has exploded, but darn it it's my fave!

jeemb Newbie

I haven't tried them Saz, but since you mentioned frozen ready-meals, I've spotted a newish brand in my Coles called "SuperNature Super Foods". The Mediterranean Polenta and Thai Beef with Quinoa & Brown Rice are gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

There's also Coles Simply Gluten Free apple pies, but will they stack up to the Bellyhoo ones that they seem to have discontinued?

Oh and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Purebred English muffins are pretty good, albeit expensive. But what's new there...

I'm still hanging out for those Genius crumpets! I better not have been misled by Mr Genius Rep. I had a dream the other week that I binged on an entire pack of glutenous crumpets and was in agony but couldn't tell anyone why! Egads! o_O

I think my local Coles is getting rid of my beloved Genius bread and/or the entire Genius range. For about a month they've had things marked as Buy 1 Get 1 Free and now there are Reduced to Clear labels. I am quite disappointed with this. I know they have a lot of different brands now, the amount of gluten-free bread on offer has exploded, but darn it it's my fave!

While I generally prefer to support smaller companies for as much food as I can when grocery shopping, the Coles gluten-free range is so good it is hard to avoid!  Their new range of bread is my fave gluten-free bread and I think someone mentioned earlier the gluten-free Coles brand banana loaf, that was also very tasty!!  

Do other people have issues when dining out?  I hate to be really picky with restaurants but so few of them really seem to understand what they are doing when they say a meal is gluten-free.  I recently went to a sports club that had recently released a new menu that had quite a number of food with a "gluten-free" beside them, the bottom of the menu stated this meant "Gluten Free" - I ordered a meal and it came out with BEER BATTERED STEAK FRIES!!!!  I mean seriously?? The menu only said "Steak fries" - I made the point of confirming the meal was gluten free and specifically asked about the gravy it was served with but the staff member did not mention the beer battered chips!  Needless to say I sent them a complaint (and complained on the night to which I was advised I needed to specify that I wanted mash instead of chips!) noting that they should have the meals listed as "gluten free option" if the meal was not gluten-free as listed on the menu!  They never replied except to say they got the email and would look into it!!  

Saz Explorer

I found the Genius Crumpets!. Bit expensive at $9.50 for 4. Not tried them yet but hope they are good. I think the buy 1 get 1 free promotion was on at all Coles stores. I have seen reduced to clear labels on the brand before, one store ( a very small one) did stop stocking the brand but the other didn't. I hope they continue it, always got at least one of the products at home.  

Not sure if I mentioned it on the other page, but be careful at Coles as they sometimes have frozen vegetarian options amongst the gluten-free ones. Some are both but a few of the vegie ones look like they would be gluten-free but aren't. It not implied that non gluten-free are, you just need to be careful if grabbing something in a hurry. 

Sammykins Newbie

Woo hoo! The burritos you were talking about Saz appeared in our freezer section today so hopefully the Geniu$ crumpet$ are on their way! The new Genius puff pastry was there too (the one that the rep said actually does puff but the proof will be in the, errr, pie. I am doubtful).

Yeah, our Coles have the vego stuff right next to the gluten free frozen foods. The Syndian brand of burger patties, falafel etc. are all gluten free but I have not seen anything else that is. Oh and in case it wasn't clear, with the Super Foods brand I mentioned none of their other meals are gluten free, just the polenta and Thai beef dishes).

Jeemb: Yep, I hear you loud and clear! So many restaurants etc. are jumping on the gluten free bandwagon without actually knowing what gluten actually is or how to prepare a gluten free meal without cross-contaminating it. I think I mentioned above seeing beef & guiness pie/stew labeled gluten-free, Israeli couscous, beer-battered stuff, soy sauce that upon checking was found to contain wheat. I've even seen spelt, bulgar and farro items listed as gluten free! And none of this was a gluten free substitute option situation.

You probably know this but be SUPER careful if you brave a pizza place with gluten free bases. So many of them think that just having a gluten free base makes it a gluten free pizza. They don't even think about whether their toppings are gluten free, or whether they are contaminating the ingredients with their glutened hands/utensils going in and out of shared ingredient tubs, whacking the base on a floured surface and shoving it in the shared pizza oven unprotected from the rest of the gluten.

Saz Explorer

Regarding things like the fries- I've learnt to always specify gluten-free even if it is labelled gluten-free rather than gfo. I sort of learnt my lesson years ago with a cafe who said the chai latte was gluten-free, Turned out you needed to specify you wanted the gluten-free one as they then used a different syrup. That's fine but they do need to specify to ask for it.  I found out after having many times, not overly sensitive, so only having it occasionally and been only a small amount  my body didn't know. Not been  really sensitive is good sometimes but also can be bad. 

I don't think I've come across anywhere that claims the beer battered chips are gluten-free, Where I have seen them it is indicated that the meal needs modification or to ask for gluten free. As most clubs offer either potato and veggies or chips and salad as the side  option I have occasionally had issues when I've asked if I can have potato and salad.  I normally get what I want though when I very nicely point out to them that I would like to eat the chips but might get sick if I do. Also often the veg part consists of some type of gratin, which they helpfully put gluten in, so I often can't eat the veg either. 

Got to admit I'm not as careful in Pizza places as I should be, I always check the toppings are ok, and that they don't coat the base in normal flour, but don't really quiz them on oven position etc. 

jeemb Newbie

Regarding things like the fries- I've learnt to always specify gluten-free even if it is labelled gluten-free rather than gfo. I sort of learnt my lesson years ago with a cafe who said the chai latte was gluten-free, Turned out you needed to specify you wanted the gluten-free one as they then used a different syrup. That's fine but they do need to specify to ask for it.  I found out after having many times, not overly sensitive, so only having it occasionally and been only a small amount  my body didn't know. Not been  really sensitive is good sometimes but also can be bad. 

I don't think I've come across anywhere that claims the beer battered chips are gluten-free, Where I have seen them it is indicated that the meal needs modification or to ask for gluten free. As most clubs offer either potato and veggies or chips and salad as the side  option I have occasionally had issues when I've asked if I can have potato and salad.  I normally get what I want though when I very nicely point out to them that I would like to eat the chips but might get sick if I do. Also often the veg part consists of some type of gratin, which they helpfully put gluten in, so I often can't eat the veg either. 

Got to admit I'm not as careful in Pizza places as I should be, I always check the toppings are ok, and that they don't coat the base in normal flour, but don't really quiz them on oven position etc. 

The Pizza Capers near us are pretty good.  I have checked with them before regarding cross contamination from the bench covered in flour and utensils etc and they have advised that they are always careful with their gluten free bases.  I am quite sensitive to it so I would have noticed if there was a problem.   

The soy sauce thing (and BBQ, tomato etc) is always an issue.   So many places do not realise soy sauce has gluten and that some brands of BBQ and tomato also have it.   I always point out when I order a gluten free meal that I am coeliac and to please ensure it is gluten free.  Many places are very good but there are always the ones that roll their eyes at you or something.

Hilary-King1978 Newbie

Hi Everyone, 

I'm pretty new here and was hoping someone might be able to help me find gluten free Weet-Bix. My husband overheard a couple talking about it but I can't seem to find it at my local store.

My daughter is a coeliac and really misses having cereal for breakfast.

Does anyone know where I can get gluten free Weet-Bix? 

Cheers, 

Hilary 

Saz Explorer

Hi Hilary.

I've never heard of or seen a anything remotely close to gluten-free Weet-Bix unfortunately. I'm not big on cereal regardless of the gluten content but I rekon I would like a gluten-free Weet-bix. 

Not sure what else your daughter likes but Freedom Foods do a few gluten-free kids cereals. They have a gluten-free fruit loops. They also do some cocoa puffs, which whilst I haven't tried them as cereal I have had them in breakfast bar version and they are closest thing to cocoa pops I've found. You can also buy rice porridge. I think if you make it a bit gluggy and put honey in it tastes almost like oat porridge. 

Saz Explorer

okay... I googled and found this: Open Original Shared Link

It says they are made from sorghum, not sure why but I thought sorghum was a no go. 

Saz Explorer

Went out for dinner tonight to a place I'd been once or twice before. Previously I had to ask what I could have  there was no indication on the menu as to what was gluten-free. So I was impressed when I opened the menu to find they now indicated their meals as gluten-free or gfo. I ordered a dish and even though it was labelled as gluten-free, I specified that I wanted the gluten-free version. Another person in the group ordered a similar meal, by which I mean they ordered a meal with the same meat as me. When the orders came out I was presented with the name of the meal I ordered. To me and every body else at the table it was clearly the meal of the other person. I asked the server to check, partly because I really wasn't sure the meal I got was gluten-free and also because it was rather different than the one I ordered. The server went to check and a few minutes later returned with the remaining meals, one of which was clearly mine but passed off as the other. As it was obvious to me and the others, on the table  that meals had been confused, we switched. The server seemed a little annoyed I had asked them to check. I tried to explain that I wasn't trying to be difficult, just that I would be sick if they ate the wrong meal. They then tried to tell me about the sauce in the clearly gluten filled meal. By that point, I couldn't be bothered to tell them it wasn't the sauce I was worried about. In the end they didn't get the meal wrong as such, just that they got the names mixed up.

I don't think it was intentional but kinda worrying because, it was only that it was obvious a mistake had been made that I didn't eat it. .  

Saz Explorer

I've now eaten all the crumpets. I like them better than the Livwell brand (which are tasty). They weren't as crumpety tasting as I'd like but the top was springy like it should be. I've not figured out the best way to toast them, yet but I think this would improve the texture a bit. Also probably need to use slightly more topping than normal crumpets. Even though I was slightly disappointed but will definitely buy them again. Good to have another option for breakfast since I don't like most cereal.   

Archived