This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

As Time Passes, Why So Many New Intolerances?

CantEvenEatRice

CantEvenEatRice Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I just do not understand how a person can continue to develop new intolerances as time passes. I was diagnosed with Celiac 3 years ago and now I feel like I can barely eat anything. I assume some of the intolerances were always there, but now I am getting direct reactions from all sorts of foods. I used to be able to just avoid gluten and everything was fine. Now I cannot eat rice, corn, soy, dairy, tomatoes, bananas, beans....It's driving me crazy! I am afraid that eventually I will be allergic to everything!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Canteveneatrice---

I feel like I am in the same boat with you...I am still determining my intolerances, but no matter what they are---it just doesn't make sense to me. I have been gluten-free/dx Celiac for 2 years now. In the past six months I began having troubles and now think that I have multiple food intolerances. I'm guessing it has something to do with leaky gut and the fact that our bodies went wrong somewhere with gluten and it is a downward spiral. I'm sorry that you are going through this. How did you determine your intolerances? Elimination diet or testing? It seems like there are a growing number of people on this board with more than one (and usually more than two) intolerances. We must be a special group.

So---my big question is...what do you eat?!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I can also relate to your situation. I just found out I can't tolerate nightshade foods like potatoes and tomatoes. At first I thought it might be the rice, but now I'm hopeful that I can continue to eat rice. I have not yet tried though as I'm still recovering from the nightshades :(

Perhaps what happens is the immune system is recovering, but is still on high alert from the glutening it was addressing for so long, so reacts too much. Or maybe it's just the leaky gut, and the body was just too overloaded to react to the smaller stuff. I'm not any more certain than the rest of you I suppose :unsure:

The nightshade thing hit me out of the blue, and like a brick - after what must be a solid 2 years or more gluten-free.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Really, Riceguy, what are the symptoms of nightshade intolerance? The only nightshade I eat anyway is potato.

kabowman Explorer

Hey, your list is almost identical to mine, except I can still have rice and nightshades (tomatoes, white potatoes, peppers, eggplant). I can't have bananas either but it isn't in my sig.

I occasionally still have problems and continue to become more sensitive. I figured out why I cannot have most non-dairy milks (rice & nut) is because of the calcium they add - not sure what it is but it doesn't like me. I have the same problem with OJ with the calcium added. Along with some preservatives.

Hubby is a little concerned about what I will be able to eat in another few years if I keep eliminated foods. Well, I haven't really eliminated too many foods recently, just preservatives and additives - the foods have remained the same.

key Contributor

I thought for awhile I was intolerant to all kinds of foods, but I found I was still getting gluten. These are some things I quit doing and it made me feel like a different person! I can't eat out at all. I end up getting sick eating out at least 80% of the time and so it isn't worth it to me. I am not saying I will never eat out, but if I want to feel well, I had to stop. Also, I am not sure, but I did give up my lipstick I was using. There were also some foods that said they were gluten free, but after months of them making me sick, I found out some must be cross contaminated from the plant. If I can eat beans from one can, but not another, that just doesn't make sense. I wish that we could trust companies more.

I do believe people have other intolerances, but for awhile I was thinking I couldn't eat any food without getting sick. Now when I am 100% gluten free, I am fine. It took me over a year to figure all this out and I am still a work in progress. I don't think I handle soy very well either, but I don't avoid it like gluten. I just don't eat large amounts of it.

The one thing I thought was messing me up was caffeine, but I am fine with that too, if I am gluten free.

I hope you start feeling better soon. There is nothing worse then feeling like everything makes you feel sick. It did get MUCH better for me, so there is hope. I was very depressed from being sick all the time. It can really mess with your mind!

Take care,

Monica

gooddawg315 Newbie

hi guys. I have been "gluten-free" since July, and I too am finding out that non gluten foods I used eat all the time now do bother me. Especially bananas! I ate one and the pain was so bad I ended up in the ER! I was told bananas are the hardest fruit to digest by the doctor. Who knew! I also find that certain berries, pineapple,oranges can do it. I also am having a problem with brown rice (like in cereal such as Brown rice crisps or the "gluten free" granola). Is this common at first? I can eat cooked veggies meat etc. Could it be the fiber content? My friend (mom is severely celiac) told me this is your bodies way of ridding the toxins in your system and that eventually you will be able to slowly add these back into your diet. At least that's what happened with her mom. Does this sound realistic? Or once you are intolerant, do you usually stay intolerant? thanks for any input and good luck with your new found diets!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CantEvenEatRice Enthusiast
hi guys. I have been "gluten-free" since July, and I too am finding out that non gluten foods I used eat all the time now do bother me. Especially bananas! I ate one and the pain was so bad I ended up in the ER! I was told bananas are the hardest fruit to digest by the doctor. Who knew! I also find that certain berries, pineapple,oranges can do it. I also am having a problem with brown rice (like in cereal such as Brown rice crisps or the "gluten free" granola). Is this common at first? I can eat cooked veggies meat etc. Could it be the fiber content? My friend (mom is severely celiac) told me this is your bodies way of ridding the toxins in your system and that eventually you will be able to slowly add these back into your diet. At least that's what happened with her mom. Does this sound realistic? Or once you are intolerant, do you usually stay intolerant? thanks for any input and good luck with your new found diets!

Bananas make me so sick too! I have read that you can eventually re-tolerate foods in the future that you cannot tolerate now. I sure hope that is true because I feel like I can't eat anything anymore! I have a really hard time with brown rice too so I have cut out all rice. I have also cut out dairy. I am hoping that I just feel so lousy due to all the changes and detoxing. However, I haven't been able to tolerate rice for a long time and it actually seems like I can tolerate less and less as time goes on. I am hoping it is just a phase and I will be able to reintroduce foods in the future, but I am not so sure.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Really, Riceguy, what are the symptoms of nightshade intolerance? The only nightshade I eat anyway is potato.

Well, for me it was basically what nightshades actually do, only heightened to an extreme. I found out that the poison in nightshades is poison to everyone, only most people don't notice the effects of the typical dose. Take a look Open Original Shared Link for the symptoms. That's what told me I was being poisoned by it. Muscle and joint pains, twitching, spasms, weakness, stiffness, etc. Not to mention the digestive difficulties :(

kbtoyssni Contributor
(like in cereal such as Brown rice crisps or the "gluten free" granola)

Gluten free granola? Oats are usually contaiminated and I've never seen a granola without oats. Is this an oat-free granola that you've found? Anyhow, sorry if you already know about oats, just want to make sure you're not accidently eating gluten :)

• 3 weeks later...
LoriCF Newbie

I have the same questions for my son. He has multiple food intolerances already (the big 8 except for corn, plus artificial colors, chocolate, strawberries) and since going gluten-free 3 months ago he's becoming more intolerant--citric acid and tomatoes, maybe potatoes? are causing problems (behavioral) too. I'm glad he's not the only one. I feel like a crazy mom, being suspicious of every food he eats!

Lori

Archived