This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Wedding Cake

mandigirl1

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

hi!

Im planning my wedding, which will be in less than a year. I have celiac disease. Most of the food on the menu is okay for me.

One requirement I have is that I get to taste and enjoy my own wedding cake!!!!! How can the bride not be alllowed to enjoy this on her one big day?????

My caterer told me they can accomodate me with the wedding cake. They said they can make a "top layer" completely gluten-free, and the rest regular.....Im wondering, did anyone else have special gluten-free cake made for their wedding?????? Shouldnt the entire cake be gluten-free?????? My guests wont really know the difference, right?

Im also concerned with HOW they should make the gluten-free cake........are there any known recipes for this? Or, does anyone know a gluten-free company that makes wedding cake??????

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

e

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

To only have part of the wedding cake be gluten free is asking for trouble. Your caterer apparently doesn't understand about cc. I am afraid you need to explain that concept for them, unless you want other food contaminated as well.

I would insist on a completely gluten-free cake. If your guests care about you, they won't care. Besides, they'll not likely notice, anyway.

If your caterer can't understand or accomodate you, you may have to find a different caterer.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Mandi;

I wouldn't trust a top layer being gluten free unless it stands alone by itself and you don't want to save the top layer for your first anniversary. You might try posting what area you live in so people that live close by can suggest bakers. Congraulations! :D

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I don't know where you live, but in my area there is a gluten-free bakery, and she does wedding cakes.

I have a recommendation, and I'm not sure what you'll think about it - but I wanted to toss it out there.

1. Have a "regular" wedding cake out for all the guests to see (if you plan to serve regular cake). And, have YOUR gluten-free cake in a safe container in the kitchen.

2. Have the cake table near a wall. That way... when you and your new dh are standing "behind the table" cutting the cake, your guests will not see the piece of "special gluten-free cake" that will be waiting for you. (obviously, have it brought to the table RIGHT before you are about to slice it)

3. Have someone VERY trustworth (best friend, mother) be the one to transport your slice of cake from the container to the cake table.

Of course, you'll want your cake decorated in the same colors/fashion as the big cake.

I'm just thinking this way because a few years ago Dh and I went to a VERY elaborate wedding. The main cake was on display for all to see. When the bride and groom cut it - they cut ONE piece from the bottom. It turned out, the rest of the cake was styrofoam. The waitstaff served cake direct from the kitchen. (no one really knew about the "fake" cake - they saved several thousand dollars by doing it that way, and yet had a cake that looked like it COST a thousand bucks!)

So, why could that not work for you?? =) =) =) =)

You've GOT to have cake at your wedding!!!! Even if it IS gluten-free!

de caps Contributor

Hi,

Here on Long Island there is an exclusive gluten-free bakery. They make gluten-free weding cakes.

It's called THE BEST EVER LOW CARB CAKES. 516-541-3640

ElovesFC Rookie

I found this websit on other forum. Open Original Shared Link

Good Luck

pinkpei77 Contributor

hi! i just married in june and i had a really tough time deciding on whether i wanted a gluten-free cake or just a part of it and so on and so forth. im also vegan and so is my husband and all of our wedding party.. but i wasnt sure if a bakery could pull off gluten-free and vegan with no cc.

so what we ended up with was a regular cake and then the night before i made gluten-free vegan cupcakes and iced them pink to match the cake and just bought the really cute cupcake holder that wilton makes.

and it looked absolutely adorable next the cake!! then we "cut the cake" ,washed our hands and ate the cupcakes. (which were moved off the table before the cake crumbs started flying :o) )

and i felt safer that way because i get so nervous about cc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Okay here is a RADICAL idea for you... Do an ice cream cake :) Then the hole thing can be gluten-free and I bet everyon likes it :)

Shouldnt the entire cake be gluten-free??????

YES it has to be, or forget it. All or nothing.

My guests wont really know the difference, right?

Yes they will. Alot of gluten-free cakes are GOOD, but they are different.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

hi guys, thanks for your input. I appreciate it. You have some good ideas.......

de caps, just curious, where on Long Island is the bakery that you mentioned? I'm from LI, now living in Manhattan.

Rikki Tikki Explorer
so what we ended up with was a regular cake and then the night before i made gluten-free vegan cupcakes and iced them pink to match the cake and just bought the really cute cupcake holder that wilton makes.

and it looked absolutely adorable next the cake!! then we "cut the cake" ,washed our hands and ate the cupcakes. (which were moved off the table before the cake crumbs started flying :o) )

and i felt safer that way because i get so nervous about cc.

What a good idea!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I was actually diagnosed with celiac 3 quarters through planning my wedding, and the thing that probably had me more upset than any other part of the disease was the thought of not being able to have my own wedding cake.

Well I did exactly what you have in mind. I had the top layer made as a gluten free cheesecake and the rest of the cake was gluten filled for all of my guests.

I didn't want to have an entirely gluten free cake for several reasons. First off, the cost would have been astronomical (and I see you live in NY, as do I, so you know the wedding costs here are already WAY higer than just about anywhere else). I didn't want to spend several hundred dollars, or more on a cake just to accomodate me, that I would have 3 bites of. And that was pretty much the second reason. I know this is my wedding, but I didn't think it was necessary to have all my guests eat a gluten free cake because of me. Granted I was only 3 months into eating gluten free, and didn't know then how incredible gluten free cakes can be, and there are so many that you can't even tell the difference... but then that brings us back to the cost.

My catering hall, and maitre'd where fantastic and beyond accomodating. They made sure the top layer of the cake was completely seperate from the other layers so there was no cross contamination, and just to be on the safe side, when we fed each other, DH took my bite from the top of the slice.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

WOW!!!

I feel it wont be too much of a bother to make top layer gluten-free. Plus, my fiance drives people even more crazy than me when it comes to getting only gluten-free food or CC. He knows what a "monster" I can/do turn into when glutened....its rough on him too......

So, how did the cake taste after all????? Did you take more than 3 bites?? They say you really dont eat much at your wedding?? However, Im looking foward to the gluten-free cake, as I have never, ever tried one before. I also have celiac disease, but for 8 years now. It gets a bit easier. I'll never forget the first 3 months though!!!! ugh

For optimal health, watch EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. Gluten is hidden in a lot of places you would never think to look. Be careful!!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star
WOW!!!

I feel it wont be too much of a bother to make top layer gluten-free. Plus, my fiance drives people even more crazy than me when it comes to getting only gluten-free food or CC. He knows what a "monster" I can/do turn into when glutened....its rough on him too......

So, how did the cake taste after all????? Did you take more than 3 bites?? They say you really dont eat much at your wedding?? However, Im looking foward to the gluten-free cake, as I have never, ever tried one before. I also have celiac disease, but for 8 years now. It gets a bit easier. I'll never forget the first 3 months though!!!! ugh

For optimal health, watch EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. Gluten is hidden in a lot of places you would never think to look. Be careful!!!

Y'know I was so determined to eat at my wedding and was not going to be one of those girls who didn't eat anything, but it turns out I barely ate. Not because of nerves or anything like that. I was just so busy talking to everyone, dancing and just having a great time. Right after the ceremony, the maitre'd took us to the bridal suite and brought us a few plates of food from the cocktail hour so that we could relax and eat something for a few minutes. Then we went down and starting mingling about half way through the cocktail hour. We sat and ate a bit during the main course, but I wanted to take that time to walk around and make sure I said hello to everyone. And then for the cake I had a few bites and then was back on the dance floor. I didn't care so much about actually eating the cake as I did getting to cut the cake and feed each other. The cake did taste great though. LOL!! I think there was a lot of whipped cream on it!

Funny, my husband is also really great about helping me out and making sure there is no cross contamination.

Are you getting married in the city or on LI?

I'm from Westchester, but my husband is from LI and we ended up getting married out there.

de caps Contributor

Hi,

THE BEST EVER LOW CARB CAKES!

5497 MERRICK ROAD

MASSAPEQUA, NEW YORK

516-541-3640

THEY ARE NOT OPEN EVERYDAY IN THE SUMMER. I BELIEVE THEY ARE CLOSED ON MONDAY AND TUESDAYS. THEY REALLY MAKE GREAT CAKES AND CHEESE CAKES.

CONGRATS ON THE UP COMING WEDDING.

DONNA

kristend Rookie
Hi,

Here on Long Island there is an exclusive gluten-free bakery. They make gluten-free weding cakes.

It's called THE BEST EVER LOW CARB CAKES. 516-541-3640

Wow! I live close to this bakery and never knew of it...I'm going there today!

Thank you so much!!!

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Thanks for all your good wishes. My wedding is next July 22. Were having it in a beautiful country club in NJ, not far from the GW bridge. Im not really a huge fan of NJ (I am very much a NYC and Queens girl), but my fiance knew of this place and has had his heart set on it forever. Im very excited and hope I dont turn into one of those "Bridezillas", as we get closer to the date. I chose July, because Im a 4th grade teacher, and luckily have the summer off!!!! A great time to do it for teachers!!!!

e

jesscarmel Enthusiast

hi e

Im getting married in December in Toronto ( so cant help you with bakeries) but my mom found a place that will make a gluten-free cake in a gluten-free facility. i feel the whole cake should be gluten free or i would probably get sick. i was also considering doing cupcakes and then some could have gluten??!!

congrats

Jess

lorka150 Collaborator
hi e

Im getting married in December in Toronto ( so cant help you with bakeries) but my mom found a place that will make a gluten-free cake in a gluten-free facility. i feel the whole cake should be gluten free or i would probably get sick. i was also considering doing cupcakes and then some could have gluten??!!

congrats

Jess

Jess, there is one in Niagara, here, too, who does gorgeous cakes.

mommida Enthusiast

I have been making a gluten free sponge cake from the passover recipe on the Manaschevitz potato starch box. I have been replacing the potato starch with cocoa for a chocolate sponge cake. I alternate layers of sponge cake and white chocolate and chocolate mousse/ because of the way I make it is better described as ganache.

The Emeril flourless chocolate torte recipe I got on the website here is amazing and a very small serving with fruit is enough to satisfy the chocoholic.

You can also go with cheesecake, if you need cookies for the bottom layer I suggest Pamela's.

I have had so many compliments from gluten eaters on all these cakes. Your quests would be lucky to eat gluten free wedding cake!

L.

grantschoep Contributor

ACtually, I have an appointment tomorrow with a local gluten free bakery(Open Original Shared Link) here in Denver, CO to get my wedding cake. We're just getting the whole cake gluten free. Seeing as 7 of the ~60 people showing up have celiac. Just not going to tell anyone(other than the celiac's), and see what people think. Most everything I have gotten from that bakery is really good and people like it.

Guest AutumnE

There are two bakeries near me that do gluten free cheesecakes. They also decorate them for weddings. At least that way it wouldnt taste different it would just have a different type of crust on the bottom of the layers. Hopefully you could find a bakery near you to do the same.

When looking at them you cant tell the difference between a cake and a cheesecake. Plus it doesnt hurt that cheesecake is one of my favorites :D

FranceLV Newbie

Hello,

We just celebrated our wedding. The entire menu was gluten-free and the cake was directly ordered from Whole Foods. Check stores location on line. they have a "Almond Lemon Torte" made off almond flour in two sizes. We ordered several cakes and piled them up wth support, the smaller one on the top. We added fresh red and white roses, the theme flowers of the wedding , and everybody was very happy and complimented us on the cake. If you are celiac, you are not goingto enjoy yourself if there is contamined food around. You must have a 100% gluten-free wedding.

Good luck,

F.M Louvet, Naturopathic Doctor and Nutritionist

teankerbell Apprentice

Slightly off the subject but just something nice I wanted to share:

I have a good friend who is not Celiac that bakes gluten-free cakes for me and always makes sure there is something for me to eat no matter WHERE we are. Can't get better or more supportive friends than that!

Archived