This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Supplements For Celiacs

susanD

susanD Newbie

Are people using supplements of any kind in addition to the diet? What supplements have you found helpful? I am using quite a few: mulitvitamin, B complex, selenium, iron, vitamin E, fish oil, CoQ10 but do not know whether I need them with the diet. I have been gluten free about 6 months and it has improved things tremendously, much more energy, more normal bowel movements. Prior to the diet I think the supplements saved me from much more severe symptoms. I was 55 before figuring out that I might have inherited my mother's "non-tropical sprue". Have not had a positive confirmation with intestinal biopsy. The IgA test was negative

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RJARED Newbie

I think I should be taking a vityamin/mineral supplement, but they don't agree with me for some reason. As far as supplements go, the only ones I haven't reacted to are: KAL brand Cal-Citrate + with Vitamin D & Magnesium or Nature's Plus CAL/MAG mineral supplement amino acid chelate/complex. I prefer the KAL brand, as it dissolves in vinegar within 30 minutes. Nature's Plus brand does not, but I've been told by a health food store owner that chelated minerals are easily absorbed. I also take one Nature's Bounty Probiotic Acidophilus with breakfast. My genetic test shows I got 1 HLA-DQ8 gene from each parent. Blood tests came back negative. No intestinal biopsy. Feel WONDERFUL when gluten-free...feel AWFUL if I eat even a small amount of gluten. I've been Gluten-free for 3 years, diagnosed just before I turned 50. I also just became extremely sensitive to fructose. Sugar agrees with me, but fructose does not, so I'm also eliminating fruits from my diet. I'm very active, work out, ski, bike, etc. so I know it doesn't hurt me.

Guest TESTinME

I think when just starting the diet, certain supplements like acidopholous, glutamine, and aloe may help to repair the colon faster.

susanD Newbie

R. Jared sent this e-amil to me which I think has important info for us:

"Earlier this month I responded about Nature's Plus CAL/MAG. My health food store owner told me it is Gluten-Free. But, it's not!!! It took me a while to figure out that my reaction was from the CAL/MAG. Verified 1-9-2004 from the Nature's Plus company that it is NOT GLUTEN FREE. Pharmaceutical glaze contains gluten. I hope you haven't tried it. If so, please throw it away or give to someone who can use it. "

Does anyone know if capsules are gluten free?

JsBaby-G Newbie

Susan

I think most capsules are not gluten free. As far as I've read, capsules use like a gelatin base that contains gluten. I always still to tablets, preferably uncoated at that.

Let me know if you find out different.

tarnalberry Community Regular

that's interesting, because I've got two items (quercertin and omega-3) which are capsule, and both claim to be gluten-free. I'll see about calling the companies and checking out what they say on the label....

(I've never reacted to them., but I've been taking them for longer than I've been gluten-free)

judy04 Rookie

I just want to issue my heartfelt thanks to all of you who have helped me

since going gluten-free on Nov 1 2003, due to an allergy to wheat, which

I learned of by a blood test done by my gastro doc. I have been coming to this

board almost every night, but didn't feel like communicating. I have a lot of trouble

due to gerd, and IBS, which seems to be triggered by ingestion of fat. To make a

long story short,as a nurse I didn't believe that dietary supplements would make

much difference, but the meds prescribed by my GD weren't working to reduce

the bloating so a few days ago I bought some L-Glutamine and Acidolphus and

wonder of wonders I can actully say that I am actually feeling better and I just

want to thank all of you and I hope I can help others as I have been helped.

Judy :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 11 months later...
wyckoffbr Newbie

Does anyone take supplements, in addition to vitamins and minerals,

especially food enzymes to help the digestion of food? How about HCL to increase stomach acid for digestion?

Initally, a year ago after diagnosis I seemed to be fine on the gluten free diet. Now, I'm not so sure. I don't think I have any food allergies but I continue to have a lot of gas some days, even when I am sure I have eaten as I should. At first, it was only dry beans and I took Beano. Then, broccoli and now a lot of other vegetables produce gas. I eat very little red meat, sugar, no soft drinks, lots of various green teas, some black tea and once a week I have some coffee. I stay away from milk except for yogurt.

I do a lot of reading but have no one to really talk to about enzymes. What do you take?

Otherwise I take vitamins and minerals, copper, manganese, boron in addition to calcium and magnesium. I take Glutamine, Horsetail, Oil of Primrose, MSM, CoQ10, Ginko Biloba, and have just started SAMe and Taurine. I notice that my fingernails are improving.

I know that I have have Celiac at least 14 years and maybe as much as 25.

jessman Newbie

I take digestive enzymes before every meal and they have helped with my gas problems quite a bit. They take away the full feeling after eating. I use AbsorbAid which I get from my health food store (I'm sure you can get them off the Internet, also). I still have some upper digestive tract gas, but the enzymes have definately helped. In fact, my husband now takes them.

KarenCM Rookie

I was so excited when I went to Costco this evening I found kirkland brand multivitamins and Vitamin C gluten free as well as ferrous fumarate gluten free but I can't remember the brand name.

Karen

debmidge Rising Star

Was Beano declared as gluten free? I seem to recall it wasn't......

Tutahl75 Apprentice

I take a B6 Supplement with a highly bioavailable whey protein and it has done wonders for me. It really helped improve my mood and ensure that I get my protein requirements for the day.

I also take a multivitamin, b12 and omega's.

Maggie1956 Rookie

I take a multi-vitamin, iron, calcium/magnesium, glucosamine plus other meds for depression and hypothyroid.

Archived