This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Pregnant And Need Some Advise

hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf Contributor

Hi,

I am newly pregnant (7weeks) Yayayayayay! This is the first child after the Celiac diagnosis. Is there anything that I need to know about having a safe pregnancy and delivery? How do I bring this up to my OB and have a good reaction?

Background: My OB sent me to the Gastro who eventually diagnoised me with Celiacs. The OB couldn't get a decent sonogram for other issues because my intestines would not stop moving, gurgling etc. and add to that years of weight loss and no ability to gain weight, blah blah blah. So this OB understands that I have celiacs, but I think it will be a hard sell to get her to understand that she & I have to be careful about the meds during delivery. (No natural delivery for me - epidural please!) So I am looking for some of your experiences with delivery etc.

Just prior to my first pregnancy I started dropping weight, which is always nice. But then as the pregnancy progressed I gained the desired 25 lbs, but I was skin and bones with a tiny belly. The baby was fine (She is 3 1/2 now). She had severe colic (7 mths). I think some of the colic was related to me trying to breast feed while my body was dropping massive amounts of weight. I'm guessing the poor kid was just hungry!! Four months after delivery I had lost ALL of the pregnany weight and passed my pregnancy weight by 20 lbs. And yes, I ate like a PIG! Anything and everything in sight just trying to keep some weight on me.

So now that I am pregnant, I want a safe pregnancy and delivery. Affordable gluten-free prenatal vitamins would be a huge help. I am on multi-vitamins from Nature Made and the Doctro approves them. I know Kroger brand Prenatal vitamins are ok and I will be geting them this weekend.

What about formula, wipes, medications while in the hospital, etc?

Any thoughts would be greatly appeciated!

-Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taneil Apprentice

I would not recommend Kroger brand or any other store brand pre-natals. A lot of them are just synthetic junk. (My opinion) I used Country Life Maxi Pre-natal Vitamin with both of my children. It is gluten free. You can buy it at health food stores for around $25 or at www.vitacost.com for $15.30.

I don't know about meds during delivery, I had both of mine at Home with a Midwife and don't regret not having an epidural in the least. But I know that isn't for everyone :)

Queen Serenity Newbie

Hi!

Congrats! I just had my daughter almost 3 months ago. I have had Celiac's for 9 years. I was diagnosed after the birth of my second son. I also have a 12 year old son. Anyway, my recent pregnancy went off without a hitch. Our diet is one of the healthiest around. My ob. had to keep close watch on me, because I have the thyroid condition, Hypotyroidism. But, other then the intense blood work to keep that level checked, the rest of the pregnancy was smooth. I am 37, and it wasn't too bad for me.

I do not breastfeed my daughter. I don't want the medication, that I take to keep my thyroid in check, to hury her developement. As for the delivery, sorry I went natural. I do not believe in using an epidural. Maybe someone else can help you with that. You could always ask the gastro doc. about the use of an epidral. So far, knock on wood, my daughter is not displaying signs of Celiac's, but it might be to soon to tell. The formula she is on is Enfamil Prosobee. It's the soy formula. She had a reaction to the Similac milk-based formula. As for medications for yourself, the hospital I was in accomadated me with all of my needs. Especially, when it came time to eat. Make sure that your menu is planned a head of time. Good luck with your pregnancy! Please let me know if you need any more help! :)

Vicki :D

hapi2bgf Contributor

Thanks Vicki and Taniel,

I'll keep looking for a better vitamin. I calle dthe Kroger dieticians line and they told me it was gluten-free, so far I have not had trouble with anything they have told me.

Both of you are braver than me when it comes to the natural birth. I tend to pass out from extreme pain. The last birth was back labor all the way and I think I would have passed out without the epidural. I am only guessing that I will have back labor again this time. I guess it's normal to be a bit terrified of the labor at this point in the preg. I just like to get things all lined up early.

Thanks for your help!

Ann

Archived