This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ragu?

Guest ~jules~

Guest ~jules~

I'm making the kids spagetti and I was wondering if anyone knows about ragu spag. sauce? It looks okay but the whole natural flavor thing has me wondering....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
I'm making the kids spagetti and I was wondering if anyone knows about ragu spag. sauce? It looks okay but the whole natural flavor thing has me wondering....

Honestly why take the risk when you can make one from scratch while the pasta cooks? I mean its probably OK but if you used tinnned tomatoes you can make a pasta sauce in the same time....

Lymetoo Contributor
Honestly why take the risk when you can make one from scratch while the pasta cooks? I mean its probably OK but if you used tinnned tomatoes you can make a pasta sauce in the same time....

Got a good recipe??

gfp Enthusiast
Got a good recipe??

Yep sure

for a classic quick bolognaise ....

Start off and chop onions and start frying (1/2 onion per person is about right if you are adding meat, if its a neapolitan more onion and no meat)

Add a teaspoon to table spoon of mixed herbs and when onions softens and some salt and 1/2-1 clove garlic per person sliced thin or crushed (I use the flat of a knife to crush .. pull off the skin then chop having just cut off ends ..really quick way faster than a garlic press! ) salt to taste...

Then meat if making bolgnaise then add tomato puree once meat starts browning (table spoon per person is fine)

stir it in then add 1 tin tomatoes per 2 people ... a gluten-free beef stock cube pre dissilved in cup of boiling water and about another cup of water per person ....

When its nearly ready add some corn starch to a cup and slwly make to a paste with water... then add enough water to make a decent amount of sauce and stir in... (just make up a lof of corn starch its cheap... and add enough .... so when its back on the boil its the right consistency)

leave to stand while you drain the pasta (timings should be about right) and then add grated pamesan.

psawyer Proficient

Back to the original question, Ragu is a Unilever brand, and will clearly disclose any gluten in the ingredients using one of the words wheat, rye, barley or oats. If you don't see one of these words, then it does not contain gluten. Enjoy!

jerseyangel Proficient

I've used several flavors of Ragu, and have not had a problem. Like Peter said, just read the label to be sure that the one you have is ok.

par18 Apprentice
I've used several flavors of Ragu, and have not had a problem. Like Peter said, just read the label to be sure that the one you have is ok.

I have also used Ragu and also Newman's Own with no problems. I take every opportunity to use a mainstream brand when I can.

Tom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I have also used Ragu and also Newman's Own with no problems. I take every opportunity to use a mainstream brand when I can.

Tom

I eat Ragu all the time. You're good.

And like Tom, I try and use a mainstream brand wherever possible. I spend enough money on the specialty items like gluten free bagels, pasta, ect.

Guest ~jules~

Thanks to all :D I do like the tinkyada pasta the best I won't buy another I don't care if it costs more, ya know?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have never noticed a problem with Ragu Sauce.

Lymetoo Contributor
Yep sure

for a classic quick bolognaise ....

Start off and chop onions and start frying (1/2 onion per person is about right if you are adding meat, if its a neapolitan more onion and no meat)

Add a teaspoon to table spoon of mixed herbs and when onions softens and some salt and 1/2-1 clove garlic per person sliced thin or crushed (I use the flat of a knife to crush .. pull off the skin then chop having just cut off ends ..really quick way faster than a garlic press! ) salt to taste...

Then meat if making bolgnaise then add tomato puree once meat starts browning (table spoon per person is fine)

stir it in then add 1 tin tomatoes per 2 people ... a gluten-free beef stock cube pre dissilved in cup of boiling water and about another cup of water per person ....

When its nearly ready add some corn starch to a cup and slwly make to a paste with water... then add enough water to make a decent amount of sauce and stir in... (just make up a lof of corn starch its cheap... and add enough .... so when its back on the boil its the right consistency)

leave to stand while you drain the pasta (timings should be about right) and then add grated pamesan.

Thanks! .. What's bolgnaise??

gfp Enthusiast
Thanks! .. What's bolgnaise??

Sorry BOLOGNESE !

or do you really not know? :ph34r:

eKatherine Rookie
Sorry BOLOGNESE !

or do you really not know? :ph34r:

The name is never used here. "Spaghetti sauce" is a very specific type of tomato-based sauce with only very minor variations. It comes canned or bottled. It is very tomatoey, and a large amount of sauce goes on the pasta.

For most people this is the only way they ever have eaten spaghetti.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
The name is never used here. "Spaghetti sauce" is a very specific type of tomato-based sauce with only very minor variations. It comes canned or bottled. It is very tomatoey, and a large amount of sauce goes on the pasta.

For most people this is the only way they ever have eaten spaghetti.

Oh the shame of it, there is so much more to pasta sauce than what we usually think of here in the US.

Guest nini

I make my own from scratch now too...

gfp Enthusiast
I make my own from scratch now too...

That's my point really.... its so simple...its cheaper and you can be a lot more flexible with your ingredients.

and... it really doesn't take any time if you start by boiling water for spagetti.... by the time its cooked the ragu is ready. I'm not saying it might not get better cooked slowly but its still got to be better than something in a jar packed with chemicals?

VydorScope Proficient
That's my point really.... its so simple...its cheaper and you can be a lot more flexible with your ingredients.

and... it really doesn't take any time if you start by boiling water for spagetti.... by the time its cooked the ragu is ready. I'm not saying it might not get better cooked slowly but its still got to be better than something in a jar packed with chemicals?

If your making it from stratch... why are you cooking Ragu sauce too? :huh:

gfp Enthusiast
If your making it from stratch... why are you cooking Ragu sauce too? :huh:
Ragù è un termine utilizzato per indicare un sugo o una pietanza composta da numerosi ingredienti (che variano a seconda delle regioni) ma sempre a base di carne.

Quasi sempre i ragù sono usati per condire pasta o sformati.

Ragu is a term utilised to indicate a sauce or "sauce dish" composed of several ingredients. (which varies according to the region) {presuming we conjugate seconda in the aggiuntive} but always with a meat base.

Usually the ragu is used to "dress" a pasta or "moulded dish"

moulded dish means like a souffle in this context being dervied from the verb to mould ... (or pie if you prefer)

VydorScope Proficient
Ragu is a term utilised to indicate a sauce or "sauce dish" composed of several ingredients. (which varies according to the region) {presuming we conjugate seconda in the aggiuntive} but always with a meat base.

Usually the ragu is used to "dress" a pasta or "moulded dish"

moulded dish means like a souffle in this context being dervied from the verb to mould ... (or pie if you prefer)

AH okay, here in USA Ragu' is a brand name of inexpensive tomatoteo sauce, and I have not seen/heard anyone use it anyother way.

gfp Enthusiast
AH okay, here in USA Ragu' is a brand name of inexpensive tomatoteo sauce, and I have not seen/heard anyone use it anyother way.

Which is rather the point, especially since you have a fairly reasonable number of second language Italian speakers.... and ragu is a VERY VERY basic term that even a 10th generation Italian family who speak no Italian at home would use everyday.

Additionally it is also a frequently used Spanish (borrowed from Italian) word

m. Guiso a base de carne troceada y guarnecida con patatas y verduras.

I'm presuming I don't need to translate the Spanish...

VydorScope Proficient
Which is rather the point, especially since you have a fairly reasonable number of second language Italian speakers.... and ragu is a VERY VERY basic term that even a 10th generation Italian family who speak no Italian at home would use everyday.

Becarefull what you assume..

I am second generation Itialian, and no one in my family uses it as anything other then the brand name. :D My Grandfather was born in Scily, and my Grandmother was born in Naples. And so on :D

penguin Community Regular

Foodies over here know that Ragu isn't just a cheap bottled sauce, but since consumer culture prevails, that's what most people think of.

Basically, what most people call spaghetti sauce over here is bolognese sauce. Just like in England crisps are chips and chips are french fries.

My sister got in trouble with her British inlaws once when she said she needed to iron her husband's pants :lol:

I make an exquisite bolognese sauce (family practically eats it as soup :rolleyes: ), but since I'm an American that is only enrolled in culinary school and hasn't attended yet, it's spaghetti sauce :)

It's one of those things that everyone knows what it is, but doesn't necessarily know what it's called. Just be happy nobody is trying to pronounce it :lol:

Gee, I want me some baloney-ese sauce! ( ;) )

Archived