This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You Know Why I'm Glad I'm A Celiac?

penguin

Guest Robbin

:) Omg, I had to get in on this one-I have a friend who swears fried mac and cheese is the greatest food on the planet. She makes the creamy homemade good kind, though. Any leftovers the next day she fries in a pan with butter. Can you say arteriosclerosis?!! Deep fried must mean they make it thick with cheese and make it into a ball? I would think it would look pretty gross... :blink: Plus, wouldn't the grease in the cheese melt and then with the grease on the outside just make it one huge greaseball-y glob? :o

I have seen deep fried tweenkies too, but the strangest thing I ever heard of was batter-dipped deep fried dill pickles. I am ashamed to admit I think I would like the pickles, lol. I think they would maybe taste like fried green tomatoes.

btw-Susan --Yay! Great to see you!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Robbin--I've not seen the stuff personally, I'm told that it is bite-sized "nuggets" of deep fried mac and cheese. All I can think is they must scoop it into the hot fat and fry it up like that :blink:

Leah--Deep fried Coke--really? :lol:

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Susie -- how are you?????? Lynnie

Before being diagnosed, we had all that deep-fried garbage at our State Fair. Deep fried snickers bars, twinkies, etc. Never tried them, because it just sounded WRONG!!!!! Also thought that it had to be a Kentucky redneck thing . . . . !!!!! :lol: Didn't know that it would be anywhere else . . . We have a restaurant that sells deep-fried pickle chips . . . called "frickled pickles"

Need to go . . . . moment of silence is getting ready to begin

CarlaB Enthusiast
batter-dipped deep fried dill pickles. I am ashamed to admit I think I would like the pickles, lol.

I had these pre-gluten-free. They're not great, but they're not as bad as they sound. I never was a breaded and fried lover, if I had been, I'd have loved them.

VydorScope Proficient
but the strangest thing I ever heard of was batter-dipped deep fried dill pickles. I am ashamed to admit I think I would like the pickles,

I had these pre-gluten-free. They're not great, but they're not as bad as they sound. I never was a breaded and fried lover, if I had been, I'd have loved them.

Ihave had them a few times too. They are not bad. Couple chains down here server them but I forget witch ones.

queenofhearts Explorer
Leah--Deep fried Coke--really? :lol:

Would I lie to you?

Open Original Shared Link

Sad but true.

Now, I do have to admit, I love fried jalapenos! They're not exactly healthy either.

jerseyangel Proficient
Would I lie to you?

Open Original Shared Link

Sad but true.

Now, I do have to admit, I love fried jalapenos! They're not exactly healthy either.

After seeing how he makes it, I probably would have tried it--once upon a time. Sounds like something that would taste good for the first couple of bites, then get sickish.

One of my favorite appitizers used to be Olive Garden deep fried zucchini slices--they dust them with grated cheese--so good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
Then how on earth do you deep fry it? :blink::huh::D:D

Pauliina

Anything that can be battered can be deep fried :rolleyes:

In the UK you can get snickers and mars bar in batter deep fried

Yum-NOT :o:o

Oh I feel queasy :unsure:

It's a southern delicacy down here too - blech! :P

State fair food is evil.

"The challenge is getting people to think of other ways to eat beef," said Betty Hogan, director of new product development for the [National Cattlemen's Beef Association].

Regular cheeseburgers aren't fatty enough!!???

Also there's somebody at the Texas State Fair that makes "Fried Coke"...

I think I saw those things on unwrapped and said "EWW"

And then I saw them in my sister's freezer. What on Earth is wrong with people? :huh:

Oh, and when I got to college (I moved from NY to AR), I ate at the dining halls. I joked to everyone nothern that they fry everything but the coke!

Before being diagnosed, we had all that deep-fried garbage at our State Fair. Deep fried snickers bars, twinkies, etc. Never tried them, because it just sounded WRONG!!!!! Also thought that it had to be a Kentucky redneck thing . . . . !!!!! :lol: Didn't know that it would be anywhere else . . . We have a restaurant that sells deep-fried pickle chips . . . called "frickled pickles"

Need to go . . . . moment of silence is getting ready to begin

Apparently fried twinkies are quite the thing at A&M. Gross.

And I loooooove fried pickles, sadly. It was the only thing I'd eat at AQ Chicken House!

Hmm...I should try frying some one day. :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
State fair food is evil.

:lol::lol::lol: so true...

Hi everybody! Been keeping a low profile here....

Fried pickles.....I REALLY don't get that one at all. Deep fried anything.....so disgusting. I was in the waiting room of the hospital the other day, and there was a family from Holland there, six people, here for three weeks, we chatted a while and they were shocked at the lack of physical activity here.....said something about the option of staying in their rented RV in a church parking lot, less than a mile away. They were astounded that the social worker gave them a phone number for someone to come pick them up.....they said, doesn't anybody WALK here? (nope, no one does, but it's a very spread-out town.) And they commented very delicately on the obesity they've seen in this country.....they were appalled.

I'm pretty sure they don't deep-fry everything in Europe as we do here.....it is truly evil! :blink:

Leah - fried coke batter......EWWWWWWWW - - positively vomitous!

aikiducky Apprentice
I was in the waiting room of the hospital the other day, and there was a family from Holland there, six people, here for three weeks, we chatted a while and they were shocked at the lack of physical activity here.....
It would be even more noticeable for someone from Holland. :D Since this is such a flat country, and very densely built, meaning in towns distances are very manageable, everybody bikes to places. People might drive to work, or take a train (also very common) but then they might bike to the shops or to the train station or just for fun in the weekend. Or indeed just walk... it's a national pastime apparently (I'm not Dutch!) to take a train to some remote place and then follow a route description you can buy at a tourist office around a nice countryside route either back to the same station or to another one.

I had a couple of visitors from the US once, they were amazed at the masses and masses of bikes that are parked outside of Amsterdam central station. Instead of a car park building, there's a three story structure to park your bike... :blink::D Here in Utrecht their planning to rebuild the station and one of the important planning decisions to make is for how many bikes can they provide space for. :D

Ok, so it's not my native country, but I think this is something the Dutch well deserve to be proud of. :)

Pauliina

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Got to thinking about it, though . . . . State fair food? Funnel Cakes -- they're really BAD for you, but boy are they delicious! :lol:

Archived