This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Columbus Conference, Ohio, Nov 4,2006

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

Just wondering who all is going to the conference in November? I go every year. Does anyone want to meet up from this group?It would be fun to meet some of you......

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

I was going to go (we live in Columbus) and Mary Kay Sharett is DS's dietician, but that is our 6th wedding anniversary! I really wanted DS to go too and meet some other kids his age that go through what he does.

casnco Enthusiast

Is this a conference put on by Childrens Hospital? How can I find out the progam agenda? I am an adult onset/diagnosis and not interested in learning about childhood issues.

KrisT Explorer

Yes, it's at Children's hospital in Columbus, here is the link

Open Original Shared Link

I live in Columbus and will be going : )

casnco Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I live Northwest of Columbus in Bellefontaine so I wouldn't be a difficult trip.

Is this a conference put on by Childrens Hospital? How can I find out the progam agenda? I am an adult onset/diagnosis and not interested in learning about childhood issues.
tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Hey -- I live in Louisville, KY AND the Eddie Bauer outlet (the real one, not like the ones in the outlet malls!) is there, isn't it?????? MY DH wants to take a visit there, so perhaps he would enjoy hearing much, much more about this disease which has us eating strangely :lol::lol:

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Lynne

sorry I can't help you out with the Eddie Bauer store but the conference is a nice one.I buy alot of food to bring home when I go.

So please come, you meet alot of people and for me I get to buy stuff I can't get near me...I think it is well worth the $30.00. That includes educational materials,lunch & snacks .

Hope you can make it.....

blessings

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

You actually get to purchase gluten-free products there? That would be GREAT! Even though we have a very competitive health-food store market here, they don't carry some of the really GOOD things . . . mamaw, it would be so nice to be able to purchase foods that we can't get here, either. Can you tell me more???

Lynne

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Let me know who goes up there, I can recommend some good restaurants for ya!

Bronco

casnco Enthusiast
Hey -- I live in Louisville, KY AND the Eddie Bauer outlet (the real one, not like the ones in the outlet malls!) is there, isn't it?????? MY DH wants to take a visit there, so perhaps he would enjoy hearing much, much more about this disease which has us eating strangely :lol::lol:

Wont it be nice to go to a conference where you do not have to make special arrangements for the lunch/snack portion of the meeting! I might just go for that luxury again.

mamaw Community Regular

Yes at the Columbus Conference you can buy directly from the vendors & also alot of them have sampling too. There are a couple of foods in with the info packet also..

exhibitors are:

1-2-3 gluten-free

cali fine foods

celiac specialities ( Home of the yummy glazed donuts)

ener_G

enjoy life foods

gifts of nature

gluten evolution(Anna's bread mix)

gluten-free mall

gluten-free passport

food- tek (micro fodds)

gluten-free trading co

heartland

Kathy's creations ( she has the best peanut butter bars)

maple grove

raisin rack( wondeful store)

sterk's bakery

So that is who will be there selling & sampling. I spent about $300.00 last year. I take a small freezer with me so I can keep the stuff I buy safe . I also make a trip to the Raisin Rack to stock up on other things too.

It is a nice event.My husband is the driver not gluten-free but he like the event too. My daughter is coming also ( her birthday the day of the cenference ) so we have a great time. It does seem to fil up fast so if you are planning on coming register before (9-22-06 for the $5.00 discount....

I think it is well worth the $30.00 , you get lunch & snacks..........

I hope you all can make it. I would love to meet up , maybe the same hotel? I am friends with Anna so I think we will try to meet at the same hotel........

keep me posted

mamaw

bronco

please come but in the meantime post the good eateries>>>>.

mamaw

KrisT Explorer

Hello!

I live in Columbus and would also really love to hear about the local eateries! Been here 4 years and my biggest complaint is that there is very little in the way of good food!

I've heard of the Raisin Rack but never been. Is their gluten-free section any better than Wild oats or Whole Foods?

I'm going to do the best I can to save up money for all the good shopping! I can see my husband's eyes rolling as I type this! LOL

As far as I know, there isn't any Eddie Bauer outlet, but Columbus is headquarters for all of Les Wexners stores. (ie Gap, Banana Republic, Limited, Victoria Secret) All of those headquarters have local wharehouses that occassionally have employee sales, but I've not heard of a public outlet.

lindalee Enthusiast
Just wondering who all is going to the conference in November? I go every year. Does anyone want to meet up from this group?It would be fun to meet some of you......

mamaw

Do you have the agenda? How many days? Would love to meet you. Sounds great. LL

odcdinah Contributor

[fI also live in Columbus and plan to attend. Looking forward to meeting some other folks!

The Eddie Bauer outlet is on the west side of Columbus - I go 2x per year! It is off of Fisher Rd. and 270. Try mapquest for specifics.

quote name='KrisT' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:08 AM' post='202129']

Hello!

I live in Columbus and would also really love to hear about the local eateries! Been here 4 years and my biggest complaint is that there is very little in the way of good food!

I've heard of the Raisin Rack but never been. Is their gluten-free section any better than Wild oats or Whole Foods?

I'm going to do the best I can to save up money for all the good shopping! I can see my husband's eyes rolling as I type this! LOL

As far as I know, there isn't any Eddie Bauer outlet, but Columbus is headquarters for all of Les Wexners stores. (ie Gap, Banana Republic, Limited, Victoria Secret) All of those headquarters have local wharehouses that occassionally have employee sales, but I've not heard of a public outlet.

mamaw Community Regular

For you who know columbus well, where is a good place to stay & be safe too. Last year we stayed at the doubletree on Front st( I think). We were not happy with that place.Is Front St a main drag? I knoe after we left we went in the opposite direction a few blocks & seen another hotel chain tha tlooked better---of course none of us remember the name. Before we stayed on the outskirts of columbus.

also what is the German Village?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I think there might be a fairfield inn around close????? I don't wan tto pay $200 or $300 bucks for a one night stay cause all we do is shower & sleep, on the run most of the time. Anything under $ 150.00 I would consider. plus the more I must pay for the room the less I can spend on goodies.....

Lindalee,

I just posted the vendors afew hours ago but it you can't find it pm me. would love to see you .....If you also go to Children's Hospital Columbus, ohio all the details will come up. It does fill up quickly.......

mamaw

KrisT Explorer

Front St is in the Brewery district, lots of bars. German Village is an interesting place, near the hospital. It has million dollar renovated mansions along with really trashy places that haven't been renovated yet. Overall it is a really neat place that is currently a hot spot as it gets cleaned up. I would reccomend that you look a little further north on High St. to the Hilton or the Hampton Inn, but I don't know their rates. Another way to save money would be to stay in a suburb like Pickerington, which has a few hotels right on the freeway and is only 10-15 minutes away.

mamaw Community Regular

Kris

thanks for the info. I thought there was a hampton Inn on Front St. I hope I get time to check-out the German thing....

We should hit Columbus around noon Friday......

mamaw

wolfie Enthusiast
Hello!

I shop at the Raisin Rack at least once per week and they have a wonderful selection of gluten-free products. They are off of Schrock Rd. in Westerville. They will be moving to a larger location across the street in November. :) Oh, you can also order online at their website and then just go in and pick up your order....very nice!!!! :)

odcdinah: I was just talking to my DH on the telephone, told him about your post with regard to the Eddie Bauer outlet!! We were howling laughing! :lol::lol:

We have decided that we're coming up Friday, Nov. 3 in order to hit the Eddie Bauer place -- that way we won't want to ditch the conference early when we really need to be there! Sounds like it is really going to be a good conference. Am looking forward to finding new foods, as well. Getting kind of tired of Peanut Butter Panda Puffs . . . .

Hey Chris . . . help me out here! PM or e-mail me as to where we should stay, where we should eat, etc. You are HIGHLY informed with regard to things of that nature (I know, I've eaten with you -- you speak with the entire staff, including the head chef -- how many people actually get to do that???) Wish you were going to be in Columbus then . . . would love to have dinner with you again.

So, guys, looks like it's a "go" for me and my DH! Will see you there!

Lynne

mamaw: Thanks for the heads up about the freezer . . . . we're going to take a large cooler & dry ice packets. Didn't realize that there would be so many goodies to purchase. Thank you, too, for telling me about how much you spent last year . . . . that way we'll know to budget that into our trip. It's gonna be FUN!!

Hello!

www.cameronmitchell.com

Cameron Mitchell is a legend in Columbus. He has some of the best restaurants with some of the best food. Check out his website. I know that the Columbus Fish Market and The Ocean Club both have gluten free options. I used to work at the Columbus Fish Market and I ate there like everyday for a year - gotta love the employee discount.

At the Fish Market, you can pick out your fish and have it prepared grilled, steamed, sauteed or even baked. They also have live lobsters and wonderful mashed potatoes and freshly steamed veggies. If you go to the one on Olentangy River Rd., they have more experience with Celiac as I worked at that one (its the one by OSU and Downtown).

The Executive Chef at The Ocean Club in Easton was my old chef at the Fish Market. His name is Jared and he has a couple of dishes on the meny meant for Celiacs ( I think one is a potato crusted halibut with garlic potatoes and greenbeans - I think). Anyway, If you like seafood, go there.

For Burgers, go to Thurman's in the German Village - the place has been there for 50 years and they are the King of the Burger. You can't have the fries and you need to bring your own bread, but it is so good, you can knife and fork it.

For Breakfast go to First Watch - there are a couple around town and the owner's daughter has Celiac Disease so they have lots of gluten-free stuff on the menu. Also, Cap City Diner has a yummy Sunday Brunch (Cameron Mitchell restaurant) -

Vegetarian and Eclectic Eating - Aladdin's Eatery on High Street in Clintonville -- fresh, whole foods and the ingredients are readily available - their stuffed grape leaves are wonderful!

For Steaks, I like Mitchell's Steakhouse (Cemeron Mitchell place), Hyde Park Steakhouse and G'Michaels (all are downtown C-bus).

For any of the Cameron Mitchell restaurants, as long as you call ahead and tell them you have gluten intolerance, they will accomodate you -- Cameron is known for his excellent service and they have always taken care of my Celiac friends.

In addition, many places in Grandview have been accomodating. Sho-ku (sp?) is a nice sushi place in Grandview and the Grandview Cafe has a nice mneu as well.

While you are in Columbus, DO NOT FORGET to try Graeter's Ice Cream - YUMMY YUMMY

Bronco

p.s. There is a Whole Foods in Columbus. Some places sell Bards and New Grist Gluten Free Beer there as well.

As far as lodging is concerned, I like the Hyatt downtown (in the middle of the arena district and walking distance to some places). For the more frugal traveler, the Baymont Inn or the Cross Country Inn on Olentangy River Rd is nice (and down the street from The Fish Market and Cap City Diner)

New Grist Beer, huh? Last I recall, it got me in a little bit of trouble . . . . However, I DID decide that people move MUCH more quickly for a drunk in a wheelchair!!!!!

beaglemania Rookie

I'd love to go. The children's hospital is hwere someone smart actually tested me for Celiac Disease. Their really nice up there. Not like all the doctor's I know down here in Flordia.

New Grist Beer, huh? Last I recall, it got me in a little bit of trouble . . . . However, I DID decide that people move MUCH more quickly for a drunk in a wheelchair!!!!!

Armetta,

At the Columbus Fish Market, they have drinks called "Pine-Fins"...Basically they take a big glass jug, cut up a ton of pineapples and then pour in Finlandia Vodka. They let it sit for 24-48 hours and then serve it to you on the rock or in a martini glass with a chunk of the pineapple. The great thing is the pineapple and the vodka have been "soaking" each other for so long that the vodka tastes like pineapple and the pineapple tastes like, uhm, well, a "really good pineapple" -- LOL

I forgot to mention earlier that there is a Graeter's Ice Cream across the street from the Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington - 2 birds with one stone!

Bronco

Chris -- Tired of doctors is me -- Lynne -- I just put that picture on my avatar because it's so good of you two -- and I'm in the background, which is where I like to stay. The whole pineapple drink thing sounds way too good to pass up . . . . oh no, my one drink every other month rule may be broken!!!

Chris -- Tired of doctors is me -- Lynne -- I just put that picture on my avatar because it's so good of you two -- and I'm in the background, which is where I like to stay. The whole pineapple drink thing sounds way too good to pass up . . . . oh no, my one drink every other month rule may be broken!!!

Oh schnikeys!

I should have known that -- I was thinking to myself -- "Wow, that is great that Armetta is going across the country to C-bus for a conference!" -- LOL -- Where is the darn ostrich anyway???LOL

Lynne,

Here is an article which discusses the Fish Market with regards to celiac disease - not much, but they are trying -- I used to howl at them to do this and they finally did!

Open Original Shared Link

Feel free to ask/call/email me about any thing related to C-bus...I wish I could come, but I have a wedding in San Diego that weekend! -- Funny story - this is the wedding where I am the Maid of Honor (Seriously)

Oh well, at least I will get to enjoy some grilled fish tacos and fresh sushi again!

Archived