This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Columbus Conference, Ohio, Nov 4,2006

mamaw

Guest Robbin

:) Fisher Road and 270?! Isn't that where the JC Penney outlet mall is too?! I used to live in Ohio and went down there a lot. Dh is an Ohio State Alumni-(was that game great or what last Saturday?) Thurman's in the German Village --Dh says the best burgers and Graeters ice cream omg the best. There is some pretty great ice cream in Ohio. I think it is Green's that is really good in Cincinnati area. Maybe you get that in KY and IN too? ( Oh, how I miss that dairy, lol.) I think there is a Fairfield Inn near the Fisher Road and 270 area. There are a couple of places to stay near there. Have a great time everyone, and bring back some good info. :)

Forgot to ask this-I used to go to a place where they had turtle soup that was so incredible-Don't know if it was gluten-free. Anyone know the name of a place in German village that has great turtle soup? I have brain fog I guess right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Bronco

Sorry you can't make Columbus but it sounds like a good time in Ca. for you. Thanks for all the tips...........You'll have to post a maid of honor pic when you get back...........

And by the way did you lead Lynne astray in Vegas????

Lynne , I'll be on the look-out for a flying wheelchair....................ANd yes, bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and a cooler is good. You may want to hit the Raisin Rack in Westerville too............

I have been pushing or trying to push Everybody Eats to come too. Bruce is to let me know soon so he says...If you haven't tried his crusty rolls & baguettes yet you will be surprised. They are to die for.Check out their website.

Sorry I won't be able to drink with you ----1 beer and I'm done for!!!! But I would like to taste the gluten-free beer.I'll have to be very careful if I do because I'll be on the floor and get run over by a wheelchair....... I don't think one can get arrested from driving a wheelchair when in a tipsy state---can they? Hope to meet you.

mamaw

laughter is good for the soul....

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

If you could get arrested for wheeling under the influence, I'd still be in Vegas!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

Chris -- no problem with regard to the faux pas! The Ostrich is hanging around -- We've been calling back & forth, but I've been sick for a few days and I'm guessing she has, too. Will have to give her a call tomorrow and see what kind of trouble we can stir up! I DO want to hear about the Maid of Honor thing . . . I vaguely recall that story . . . but seriously -- tell me that you DON'T have to wear a dress. That would just be WRONG, Okay??? Also, I need pictures . . . even if you ARE in a dress . . . .

odcdinah Contributor

Lynne, oops, was there a typo in my post about Eddie Bauer? Not sure why you were howling?

By the way, on Saturday morning and early afternoons, the outlet runs these "blue light" type of specials. Ex - "for the next 30 minutes, all women's jeans are $6.99 etc. Happy shopping!

odcdinah: I was just talking to my DH on the telephone, told him about your post with regard to the Eddie Bauer outlet!! We were howling laughing! :lol::lol:

We have decided that we're coming up Friday, Nov. 3 in order to hit the Eddie Bauer place -- that way we won't want to ditch the conference early when we really need to be there! Sounds like it is really going to be a good conference. Am looking forward to finding new foods, as well. Getting kind of tired of Peanut Butter Panda Puffs . . . .

Hey Chris . . . help me out here! PM or e-mail me as to where we should stay, where we should eat, etc. You are HIGHLY informed with regard to things of that nature (I know, I've eaten with you -- you speak with the entire staff, including the head chef -- how many people actually get to do that???) Wish you were going to be in Columbus then . . . would love to have dinner with you again.

So, guys, looks like it's a "go" for me and my DH! Will see you there!

Lynne

mamaw: Thanks for the heads up about the freezer . . . . we're going to take a large cooler & dry ice packets. Didn't realize that there would be so many goodies to purchase. Thank you, too, for telling me about how much you spent last year . . . . that way we'll know to budget that into our trip. It's gonna be FUN!!

JCPenney outlet is on the opposite side of town - far east, at Brice and 270. Unfortunately, I live way too close to there!

quote name='Robbin' date='Sep 14 2006, 09:14 PM' post='202475']

:) Fisher Road and 270?! Isn't that where the JC Penney outlet mall is too?! I used to live in Ohio and went down there a lot. Dh is an Ohio State Alumni-(was that game great or what last Saturday?) Thurman's in the German Village --Dh says the best burgers and Graeters ice cream omg the best. There is some pretty great ice cream in Ohio. I think it is Green's that is really good in Cincinnati area. Maybe you get that in KY and IN too? ( Oh, how I miss that dairy, lol.) I think there is a Fairfield Inn near the Fisher Road and 270 area. There are a couple of places to stay near there. Have a great time everyone, and bring back some good info. :)

Forgot to ask this-I used to go to a place where they had turtle soup that was so incredible-Don't know if it was gluten-free. Anyone know the name of a place in German village that has great turtle soup? I have brain fog I guess right now.

casnco Enthusiast
Hello!

I live in Columbus and would also really love to hear about the local eateries! Been here 4 years and my biggest complaint is that there is very little in the way of good food!

I've heard of the Raisin Rack but never been. Is their gluten-free section any better than Wild oats or Whole Foods?

I'm going to do the best I can to save up money for all the good shopping! I can see my husband's eyes rolling as I type this! LOL

As far as I know, there isn't any Eddie Bauer outlet, but Columbus is headquarters for all of Les Wexners stores. (ie Gap, Banana Republic, Limited, Victoria Secret) All of those headquarters have local wharehouses that occassionally have employee sales, but I've not heard of a public outlet.

KrisT:

If you haven't gone to the Raisin Rack I have to recommend HIGHLY you drive there as fast as you can! They have a much better selection than any of the chain organic/health food stores. The person who does their ordering is a retired physician. She also is Celiac. There is an entire isle of only gluten-free foods. A wonderful freezer section of only gluten-free foods. It is easy to navigate and there are more options there than anywhere I have shopped. I live in Bellefontaine. It is an hour from the Raisin Rack and I make a special trip in to shop for my food at least once a month. I wish I lived closer! I tell everyone about their store. Good luck shopping and let me know how you like it.

KrisT Explorer

Raisin Rack RAWKS!!!

I just drove all the way up there to check it out and found their customer service superb, but the best part was selection! They way out-do the chain stores. You weren't kidding! I was in heaven picking out breads that aren't frozen and BEER I actually picked up a couple bottles of gluten-free beer! I hope I like it. I'm going to wait until tonight to open it with DH. I was told that when they open the new store across the street they will be expanding the gluten-free section quite a bit.

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

wolfie Enthusiast
Raisin Rack RAWKS!!!

I just drove all the way up there to check it out and found their customer service superb, but the best part was selection! They way out-do the chain stores. You weren't kidding! I was in heaven picking out breads that aren't frozen and BEER I actually picked up a couple bottles of gluten-free beer! I hope I like it. I'm going to wait until tonight to open it with DH. I was told that when they open the new store across the street they will be expanding the gluten-free section quite a bit.

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Oh yes, the beer!! I almost forgot that they sell Bard's Tale either individually or by the 6 pack. DS loves going there to pick out his gluten-free goodies (not beer ;) )

Glad you found some good stuff!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Last time a few months ago when I drove 3+ hrs to get to the Canton Raisin rack there was no beer!!!! So now I will buy some while in columbus and bring it home that way I can lay on my own floor at home after sampling it....anyone have any fav. brand? years ago I liked draft any taste like that???

mamaw

jerseyangel Proficient
Funny story - this is the wedding where I am the Maid of Honor (Seriously)

It goes without saying that we'll need a full report of this, with a picture :lol:B)

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Lynne, oops, was there a typo in my post about Eddie Bauer? Not sure why you were howling?

We were howling because someone finally affirmed that the Eddie Bauer outlet is on the way! Also, because you go two times per year . . . and we were REALLY jealous!!!!!

Archived