This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cat Food

myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer Explorer

i absolutely love my 2 kitties. i think i have done a pretty thorough job of ridding my apartment of any traces of gluten. the one place i completely missed was my cats. they are very loveable and cuddly. they eat IAMS cat food and treats which i dont think are gluten-free. does anyone know which cat foods are safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spunky Contributor

This probably isn't going to be very helpful, but I went pet food shopping last night seeking gluten free cat food. I have found no totally gluten free catfood, but I did find one that had oats as the grain. It looks very good for cats, because it also has things like dried cranberries, probiotics, and all of that. I can't understand why I can find gluten-free dogfood, but I have been unable to find anything closer to gluten free in cat food than what I got last night. Anyway, the reason it won't be helpful is because I cannot for the life of me remember the brand name of the stuff I bought! It was pretty expensive, though. I found it in a very upscale petfood store. Now I'm spending more on our dogs and cats' food than I am on ours!

nikki-uk Enthusiast
This probably isn't going to be very helpful, but I went pet food shopping last night seeking gluten free cat food. I have found no totally gluten free catfood, but I did find one that had oats as the grain. It looks very good for cats, because it also has things like dried cranberries, probiotics, and all of that. I can't understand why I can find gluten-free dogfood, but I have been unable to find anything closer to gluten free in cat food than what I got last night. Anyway, the reason it won't be helpful is because I cannot for the life of me remember the brand name of the stuff I bought! It was pretty expensive, though. I found it in a very upscale petfood store. Now I'm spending more on our dogs and cats' food than I am on ours!

I'm sure it was Patti (jersey angel) who said in the gab forum that her cat is now gluten-free and he's on Science Diet

:)

elonwy Enthusiast

What I have found is that you have to go to a pet store to find gluten-free cat food. There is one Purina dry cat food ( I believe it's indoor formula) that doesn't have gluten, and thats it for brands found in regular grocery stores.

I feed my kittys Eukanuba for dry food and Nature's somthingorother for wet food.

Elonwy

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep--Nikki's right! I just put my cat on Science Diet Senior over the past weekend. He seems to love it--and has not thrown up once since starting on it! :)

oceangirl Collaborator
Yep--Nikki's right! I just put my cat on Science Diet Senior over the past weekend. He seems to love it--and has not thrown up once since starting on it! :)

Patti,

Thank you. I used to have a senior cat on Science Diet. I think I'll go get some from my vet. Thanks!

lisa

What I have found is that you have to go to a pet store to find gluten-free cat food. There is one Purina dry cat food ( I believe it's indoor formula) that doesn't have gluten, and thats it for brands found in regular grocery stores.

I feed my kittys Eukanuba for dry food and Nature's somthingorother for wet food.

Elonwy

Is Eukanuba gluten-free? My vet strongly recommended IAMs, but clearly thats a no no because it has a ton of gluten in it. I have heard good things about Eukanuba. My cats only eat dried food and one kitty is in need of losing a few pounds.

Patti,

Thank you. I used to have a senior cat on Science Diet. I think I'll go get some from my vet. Thanks!

lisa

my family's dog (he lives with my parents) is on science diet to manage his weight. is that only available through the vet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I think most of them are, I too have a cat that only really likes dry food, but I have to give them meds and need wet food for that. I read the label every time I get thier food. From all I could tell, it seemed to be gluten free, and it hasn't made me sick, wheras a bag of friskies poofed cat food dust in my face when I was first gluten-free and made me sick for three days. ug.

They seem to like it too.

Elonwy

Felidae Enthusiast

My cats eat Natural Balance cat food.

LaurieAnn13 Newbie
Is Eukanuba gluten-free? My vet strongly recommended IAMs, but clearly thats a no no because it has a ton of gluten in it. I have heard good things about Eukanuba. My cats only eat dried food and one kitty is in need of losing a few pounds.

my family's dog (he lives with my parents) is on science diet to manage his weight. is that only available through the vet?

There are some types of Science Diet that are prescription and are only available from a vet. Regular Science Diet foods are available at PetSmart and PetCo....

Laurie

jerseyangel Proficient

I bought the Science Diet at Petco :)

There are some types of Science Diet that are prescription and are only available from a vet. Regular Science Diet foods are available at PetSmart and PetCo....

Laurie

oh great. i have a petco right near me. thanks!

Archived