This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Joke On Letterman Sept 19, '06

skbird

skbird Contributor

:) I doubt that Susan!

Maybe it's just me. I seemed to get glutened all summer, then my work situation radically changed and I'm currently working two part time jobs, and for reasons probably due to stress, have lost my appetite. So I keep not eating when I need to and it's not quite making me cranky but just making me tired! And less funny.

I mean, I just worked this fundraiser (local United Way) and they had a chocolate fountain! I don't mean one of those, buy it at Target/K-Mart made-in-China kind of fountains you may use a couple of times and then give to Goodwill - I'm talking about a four foot tall dark chocolate founatin - and tables of things to dip. Of course the things to dip were all on sticks and included: Oreos, rice crispy treats, palmier cookies, mini brownies, fruit, etc etc etc. So no chocolate fountain for me. For some silly reason I had been holding out hope that people didn't actually dip food into it - they got cups or something (you can tell I've not been around a chocolate fountain before, can't you!)

Yeah, that was a major bummer. And it didn't help that when the waitress on Letterman brought out the pizza bread I was thinking - mmmmm, I would actually eat that if.... and Dave took the words right out of my mouth.

Sigh.

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Sigh indeed. OMG - I would not even have thought to avoid the chocolate fountain - - - yes I AM getting stupid-er....not kidding.....wouldn't have thought of the crumb contamination! my mom and I bought one today at Costco (which will end up at Goodwill :lol: ) for some friends....I thought happily that I could use it at their house....but that United Way party...pure, chocolate fountain torture for you, I'm afraid :(

Steph you should be eating more! That will make you cranky. But it is such a pain, ain't it?

At least you're out in public....I have become rather reclusive in recent weeks and avoid food situations entirely, just turn down invitations, period. :( very sad.

and then, can't even stay awake for my nightly dose of Dave to cheer me.....or make me cranky, as it were... ;)

Canadian Karen Community Regular
I've been watching Dave for as long as he's been on....just this year falling asleep too early most of the time. :angry: I don't think he's gluten-intolerant, but, he rarely discusses anything in his personal life....he has many writers who write most of the jokes but he does throw in his own goofy stuff. I think he's totally being silly in this case. It doesn't offend me, but, I happen to think he's one of the funniest and brightest humans alive.

Newfoundland...it sounds SO charming and remote.....what was that quirky novel I read that took place on that island, with a movie starring....Kevin Pollack maybe? think they found a dead body somewhere? other than that, the details are hazy....lots of fishing... :)

OMG! Susan, is it the same movie I saw (can't remember the name) but I can remember them moving the family house over the frozen lake by pulling it by a huge rope (apparently, this was done quite often way back when). Also, the woman at the end of the story had her brother's ashes when he died, but since her brother abused her in childhood, she dumped the urn in the toilet and then sat down and had a good "dump" on him!

OMG! I GOT IT!!!!

"The Shipping News" with Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Judy Densch (sp?).

DingoGirl Enthusiast
OMG! Susan, is it the same movie I saw (can't remember the name) but I can remember them moving the family house over the frozen lake by pulling it by a huge rope (apparently, this was done quite often way back when). Also, the woman at the end of the story had her brother's ashes when he died, but since her brother abused her in childhood, she dumped the urn in the toilet and then sat down and had a good "dump" on him!

OMG! I GOT IT!!!!

YES, that's it! OMG I don't remember them moving the house AT ALL....I do remember the ashes in the toilet and the dump....who could forget that? :huh: Kevin Spacey, that's right, and he was courting Juliann Moore's character? very quirky...didn't see the movie....hardly remember the book..but that is how my brain is for gawd's sake.....have lost chunks of it, I swear.... :ph34r:

lorka150 Collaborator

This (post) reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld, where they want to buy this really 'awesome' wheelchair and their selling point is: "makes you always want to be handicapped'.

My mom (who has MS, uses a cane, and will soon be in one, no doubt) thinks this is funny. My aunt with MS - hilarious. People can't believe they think it's funny. I think that people are just overly sensitive.

Ursa Major Collaborator

OMG! I GOT IT!!!!

Karen, I laughed so hard (and loud) when I read about dumping the ashes into the toilet and having a 'dump' on him, I was afraid I'd wake up my family!

My mother-in-law is a newfie, and boy, she has NO sense of humor at all. If somebody tells a newfie joke, she just says, "That is definitely NOT funny." And it makes me laugh even harder when she says that (just can't help myself), and she looks at me with this withering look, which makes me laugh even harder. :rolleyes:

Oh Ursula, PULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE tell me that Ken is not a Newfie! If he is, no wonder he's no longer in Newfoundland, they would have kicked his sorry butt onto the wharf and into the harbour for the way he is treating you!

Hugs.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star
Someone from Newfoundland/Labrador in Eastern Canada. According to the jokes, they are dumber than a roomful of Blondes.

No offense to anyone blonde or from Newfoundland. (Pronounced like NEWfinnLand)

Finally relief!! A group that I as a blonde can pick on!!!

Finally relief!! A group that I as a blonde can pick on!!!

No problem. Us Newfies have thick skins (to go along with our thick skulls!) LOL! :lol:

Hugs.

Karen

gfp Enthusiast
Someone from Newfoundland/Labrador in Eastern Canada. According to the jokes, they are dumber than a roomful of Blondes.

No offense to anyone blonde or from Newfoundland. (Pronounced like NEWfinnLand)

No no.....

1) Newfy: nm (noofii)

One working with or for the national park service who after pulling you over for going 91 in a 90 zone proceeds to say something unintilligible until you switch to French)

2) Newfy: A language created from the most unintilligible parts of in Irish mixed with akadian french

3) Newfy A large black and tan dog that barks in a strange accent and likes bathing in glacier water

apologies ..... :ph34r:

DingoGirl Enthusiast

excellent....the Newfie humour (we never hear anything about Newfies in California - virtually never so you are all educating me) :)

Lorka - I tend to agree with you - people are too sensitive but everyone's threshhold is different. Important to laugh at ourselves, though. Seinfeld - the meanest show ever - I just quit watching re-runs a couple of years ago, after I'd seen them all about five times.

Ursula - glad you had such a good laugh and that MIL - throw HER into the harbour also. :)

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Relatively new here but one concern that I've seen several times has to do with a fear of celiac being mistaken for just another fad diet. There is a book with a title something like "the blood type diet" that assigns food based on the blood type. For Type O, wheat is the big thing to avoid. I've only skimmed the book but the explanation of where the various types evolved is roughly consistent with the concept of celiac being more prevelent in certain geographic areas.

I'm not advocating the book, just wanted to point out that there was at least one data point out there to make people think gluten-free is a fad diet.

Lauren M Explorer
Lorka - I tend to agree with you - people are too sensitive but everyone's threshhold is different. Important to laugh at ourselves, though.

I think this is true - and I think lorka's example illustrates my point - WE can make fun of ourselves, but others cannot. Kind of like family. I can make fun of my family, but I'll give ya hell if you make fun of my family!!! :lol:

- Lauren

lorka150 Collaborator

Lauren, your family is the WORST! :P (just kidding, obviously!.... just making fun).

About gluten-free being a fad-diet, if you're so concerned, use the term celiac disease to prevent assumptions.

eKatherine Rookie
Relatively new here but one concern that I've seen several times has to do with a fear of celiac being mistaken for just another fad diet. There is a book with a title something like "the blood type diet" that assigns food based on the blood type. For Type O, wheat is the big thing to avoid. I've only skimmed the book but the explanation of where the various types evolved is roughly consistent with the concept of celiac being more prevelent in certain geographic areas.

I'm not advocating the book, just wanted to point out that there was at least one data point out there to make people think gluten-free is a fad diet.

The celiac diet is not a fad. It's the blood type diet that's the fad diet. Everywhere you go in the world there are mixed blood types, and nowhere have people divided themselves up by blood type to eat differently.

There is basically no evidence to support the theory - it's just kind of a test tube experiment that the book wants you to design your life around.

People do often get better when put on one of these diets, but that is probably because all four of the diets are healthier than the diet most Americans eat. They also would probably get better when assigned to the wrong diet, and this is the only way to test such an extraordinary claim.

debmidge Rising Star

I have to confess, I too thought it was a "fad" diet when I heard of it over 15 years ago. I thought it was some kick that health food people went on or body builders did, so something for some obsure reason that had nothing to do with a disease. Boy was I wrong....

David Bach Newbie
I have to confess, I too thought it was a "fad" diet when I heard of it over 15 years ago. I thought it was some kick that health food people went on or body builders did, so something for some obsure reason that had nothing to do with a disease. Boy was I wrong....

This seems so strange to me, cause here in Germany noone ever made me feel like he thought I was just on a show-off diet to distinguish myself from other people. This is what "Fad diet" would mean, right? I've been having to explain my diet to people for a long time now and everyone was really cool about it, so it kind of makes me angry when I hear that not everyone shares these good experiences.

I mean it's hard enough as it is, right y'all?

By the way, I'm all new here, 1st post, so hello to all of you.

Welcome David! You'll love it here!

Karen

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi David--

Glad to have you here :)

Archived