This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Cream Of Soup Mix

bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl Contributor

I haven't tried this since I just found it but I think it'll be nice to have on hand. I make alot of things with cream of mushroom soup. The hard part will be finding a bouillon granule that is gluten free,...maybe someone knows of one?

Gail

Homemade Cream of Soup Mix

2 cups powdered milk

3/4 cups cornstarch

1/4 cups chicken, beef, vegetable bouillon granules

2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon of onion powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram, crushed

1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper

Combine all ingredients and blend until mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. This recipe makes 3 cups and is enough for 9 cans of soup.

To substitute for one can of condensed cream soup:

In a 1-quart saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1 1/4 cup water.

Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This can also be used as a quick fat free gravy, thin to the consistency you prefer.

Variations of Homemade Cream of Soup

© Leslie Sausage

The variations are endless, use your imagination and experiment with different ingredients.

For example, instead of thyme and basil, substitute 1-teaspoon dry mustard and 1 teaspoon dill weed.

You might like to add up to 1/4-teaspoon garlic powder to the dry soup mix.

For another option: add a couple of tablespoons of any dried vegetable flakes to the dry soup mix.

Asparagus Soup--add 1 cup cooked chopped asparagus

Broccoli Soup--add 1 cup of cooked, chopped broccoli

Carrot Soup--add 1 cup of cooked, chopped carrots

Celery Soup--add 1/2 cup sautéed, minced celery

Chicken Soup--add 1/2 to 1 cup cooked, finely diced chicken

Chicken Herb Soup--add 1/2 to 1-cup finely diced chicken plus additional herbs to your taste, parsley, oregano or marjoram

Creamier Cream Soup--add 1 tablespoon of butter to any of the variations

Low Sodium--substitute equivalent amount of low sodium instant bouillon

Mushroom Soup--add 1/2 cup sautéed, finely chopped mushrooms

Mushroom and Roasted Garlic Soup--add 1/2-cup finely chopped mushrooms plus 1 or 2 roasted garlic cloves

Onion Soup--add 1/2 cup of sautéed, chopped onions

Roasted Garlic Soup--add 2 or 3 roasted garlic cloves

Tomato Potato Soup--add 1/2 cup diced cooked potato plus 1/2 cup finely diced and seeded tomato

Tomato Soup--add 1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped and seeded tomato

Potato Soup--add 1 or two tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes or cooked diced potatoes

Vegetable Soup--add 3/4 cup cooked mixed vegetables

© 1999 by Leslie Sausage

Leslie Sausage lives with her husband in rural Texas. She is the mom of four grown children, a freelance writer, and has completed a degree in business administration! For creative, practical and fun ideas please visit her web site at Open Original Shared Link.

eBOOKS

Craft Recipes for Kids

Gift Mixes 1

100 Gift Mixes - Coffee, Cocoa,Tea and Cappuccino

Mug Size Mixes

Prescriptures

Broke But Still Starvin

Yummy Cool Treats...For Hot, Hot Summer Days!

Favorite Popcorn Recipes

Our Favorite Links

Order Lookup

The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with ONLY a loaf of bread are three billion to one. --Erma Bombeck

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." by Harold B. Lee

Christian Guestbook

[Powered by Fast Users Online]

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

Thanks for this list! I was just looking up a substitute recipe for "cream ofs" soups. I know that in the past year or so, Hy-Vee brand chicken bouillon granules are gluten free, if you happen to have one nearby- Open Original Shared Link

(This is their online list).

Thanks again for posting this!

:)

mrg8610 Rookie

Herb-ox bouillon is gluten-free. The Gluten Free Pantry also sells a Gourmet Spice called Chicken Flavor Broth Mix that I recently purchased but haven't tried yet. It is a powder and looks similar to bouillon and would probably work the same way.

Progresso also makes a gluten-free Cream of Mushroom soup (Vegetable Classics Creamy Mushroom) which I used in a chicken dish once and found it to be very watery. I think I'll make up a batch of the mix you've suggested since the colder weather is coming and I have some yummy crock pot recipes that require cream soup.

Thanks!

Suzie Rookie

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I was especially interested in the celery soup. Speaking of the boullion granules--I made a mix using the cubes and just ground them up as fine as I could. Worked well. I did find some chicken granules in a local store here.. It's a store brand--Flavorite. Seems to be gluten-free but I'm still trying the find out. I found the company online but haven't completed my "research".

Thanks again.

Sue

I haven't tried this since I just found it but I think it'll be nice to have on hand. I make alot of things with cream of mushroom soup. The hard part will be finding a bouillon granule that is gluten free,...maybe someone knows of one?

Gail

Homemade Cream of Soup Mix

2 cups powdered milk

3/4 cups cornstarch

1/4 cups chicken, beef, vegetable bouillon granules

2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon of onion powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram, crushed

1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper

Combine all ingredients and blend until mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. This recipe makes 3 cups and is enough for 9 cans of soup.

To substitute for one can of condensed cream soup:

In a 1-quart saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1 1/4 cup water.

Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This can also be used as a quick fat free gravy, thin to the consistency you prefer.

Variations of Homemade Cream of Soup

© Leslie Sausage

The variations are endless, use your imagination and experiment with different ingredients.

For example, instead of thyme and basil, substitute 1-teaspoon dry mustard and 1 teaspoon dill weed.

You might like to add up to 1/4-teaspoon garlic powder to the dry soup mix.

For another option: add a couple of tablespoons of any dried vegetable flakes to the dry soup mix.

Asparagus Soup--add 1 cup cooked chopped asparagus

Broccoli Soup--add 1 cup of cooked, chopped broccoli

Carrot Soup--add 1 cup of cooked, chopped carrots

Celery Soup--add 1/2 cup sautéed, minced celery

Chicken Soup--add 1/2 to 1 cup cooked, finely diced chicken

Chicken Herb Soup--add 1/2 to 1-cup finely diced chicken plus additional herbs to your taste, parsley, oregano or marjoram

Creamier Cream Soup--add 1 tablespoon of butter to any of the variations

Low Sodium--substitute equivalent amount of low sodium instant bouillon

Mushroom Soup--add 1/2 cup sautéed, finely chopped mushrooms

Mushroom and Roasted Garlic Soup--add 1/2-cup finely chopped mushrooms plus 1 or 2 roasted garlic cloves

Onion Soup--add 1/2 cup of sautéed, chopped onions

Roasted Garlic Soup--add 2 or 3 roasted garlic cloves

Tomato Potato Soup--add 1/2 cup diced cooked potato plus 1/2 cup finely diced and seeded tomato

Tomato Soup--add 1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped and seeded tomato

Potato Soup--add 1 or two tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes or cooked diced potatoes

Vegetable Soup--add 3/4 cup cooked mixed vegetables

© 1999 by Leslie Sausage

Leslie Sausage lives with her husband in rural Texas. She is the mom of four grown children, a freelance writer, and has completed a degree in business administration! For creative, practical and fun ideas please visit her web site at Open Original Shared Link.

eBOOKS

Craft Recipes for Kids

Gift Mixes 1

100 Gift Mixes - Coffee, Cocoa,Tea and Cappuccino

Mug Size Mixes

Prescriptures

Broke But Still Starvin

Yummy Cool Treats...For Hot, Hot Summer Days!

Favorite Popcorn Recipes

Our Favorite Links

Order Lookup

The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with ONLY a loaf of bread are three billion to one. --Erma Bombeck

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." by Harold B. Lee

Christian Guestbook

[Powered by Fast Users Online]

• 3 weeks later...
Suzie Rookie
Hi Gail,

I did some searching and found out that the Flavorite chicken granules (and the beef, as well) is gluten free. This is a store brand found at a couple of places in my area (southern Illinois). I spoke to a Linda Smith at the company and she confirmed gluten-free. Her number is 866-877-7642. The UPC code of the item I have is 41130-05200. They like to have that information. Good luck. Your recipe is sooo easy!!

Sue

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I was especially interested in the celery soup. Speaking of the boullion granules--I made a mix using the cubes and just ground them up as fine as I could. Worked well. I did find some chicken granules in a local store here.. It's a store brand--Flavorite. Seems to be gluten-free but I'm still trying the find out. I found the company online but haven't completed my "research".

Thanks again.

Sue

Archived