• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Celiac Mentioned In Reader's Digest!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

In the October issue of Reader's Digest, on page 143, at the end of an article called "Misdiagnosed" there is a small mention of celiac. It says:

"Celiac Disease - In adults it takes an average of 11 years to diagnose celiac disease, a genetic autoimmune disorder in which sufferers can't digest gluten, a protein in wheat, rye and barley. An estimated two million Americans have the disease but an astounding 97 percent go undiagnosed."

I think that's pretty well said for two sentences!

Nancy

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Reader's Digest can condense anything to about 2 sentences!

Yay! That is great! I have read that the latest statistic is down to 4 years, but I am more likely to believe the 11 years...considering so many are not diagnosed and are silent Celiacs.

Thanks for posting!

thats so exciting! :) the other day i was working out and was flipping thru the sept. issue of women's health magazine. there was an article about things that go undiagnosed too and there was a little paragraph about celiac. i about fell off the elliptical :D haha

i'm so glad that is seems like there is becoming more awareness...but maybe it's just that i'm more observant of it now...? :blink:

Ads by Google:

I saw a brief mention of celiac in Self a few months back, too. It was a small paragraph in a "Top 10 Misdiagnoses" article.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    majiksgirl

• Topics

• MariaofColumbia,   I came across this thread when a two different friends had posted on facebook.  I read it and felt like you were talking to me.  I've had issues for 7 years now.  My candida cannot get under control.  I went and checked my vitamin B levels and they are high.  I've been on methyl folate for several months now, but only one pill a day.  I do have one MTHFR gene mutation.  I've tried SO MANY candida diets/options and the minute I stray it is back out of whack...or it never really gets rid of it.  I pick up viruses fairly frequently because my immune system is so taxed.  I'm so very tired of dealing with this!!!  I'm wondering if you could go into more detail as to what exactly you started taking/how often/what foods you still avoided (sugar/vinegar/mushrooms/peanut butter/etc), and where your healthy B levels are at now?  You can find me on facebook as Jessica Hecker Andersen and we could always private message as well.  I really wish I could just call you!  lol.  Please, any further information would be very much appreciated.  Thank you!
    • Thank you all for taking the time to respond.  It's comforting to know I have a place to ask questions and share my concerns.   My daughter's antibodies are as follows: 1/9/17:  783.6 (before stopping gluten) 5/16/17: 69.7 8/14/17: 50.6 Her thyroid/hormones all in normal range.  An endoscopy in May showed her villi looked good with minimal damage. Her B12 (checked on 8/14/17) is excellent.  Her antibodies will be checked again when she returns home in Dec.  She avoids gluten as much as possible, however she's away at college so cross contamination is likely.  She eats extremely well -- mostly salads, vegetables, protein, fruits, rice.  When on the go she supplements with kind bars, quest bars, or Rx bars.  She'll snack on gluten-free crackers (Blue Diamond made from almonds), hummus, peanut butter, and popcorn.  Once in awhile she'll treat herself to Tate's gluten-free cookies or Halo ice cream.  She's in college so, yes, she drinks alcohol on occasion.  Titos gluten-free vodka, but no beer!  Since stopping gluten her stomach feels much better, less bloating and pain (her main complaints before stopping gluten).  I do notice when she's home on break from college she will have a healthy, nice sized portion of food at each meal and say she feels very full afterward, yet shortly after she will feel hungry again and need to reach for a snack (always a healthy one).  She takes 2 gluten free gummy Multi-Vites (same as Costco brand I believe) as well as vitamin D daily.   She was diagnosed with celiac on 1/11/17, stopped gluten immediately, and her last period started on 1/13/17.  For six years her period was very regular and it only changed once she stopped eating gluten.  I have to believe there is a connection.  The frustrating part is that nobody has any answers.  I know my daughter would feel a lot better if her cycle returned.  We will seek the advice of a nutritionist as well as continue speaking to doctors, but in the meantime if you have any more suggestions I welcome them (i.e., foods, supplements, vitamins, etc).  Thank you all very much!            
    • If only they were peanut free . I been buying my seeds from Gerbs allergen friendly foods for past 5+ years. I end up buying my almonds, walnuts, and pistachios from dedicated companies....got to admit I get a better deal on almonds but I go through 25lbs every 2 months.
    • Good to know I would like to get more nuts and seeds  but find many retailers by me have the shared equipment claim on package so I've held off other than some almonds. My daughter and I are battling over all the fresh pumpkin seeds I've been roasting so I should see if nuts .com sells some a 5 lb bag would fix the ordeal likely a need for magnesium -
    • Nuts.com is a trusted company. You can be confident with them. 
  • Upcoming Events