This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Living Without Magazine

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

My mom got me this magazine for my birthday and I just now got my first issue. WOW!!! I am super impressed. I expected the magazine to be much thicker than it is. They make up for the lack in bulk with their content though. The focus, at least in this issue, seems to really focus on gluten free/casein free diets. There are wonderful articles on living allergen free and how to manage. There is even an extensive recipe section with delicious looking recipes. I can't wait to try some of these, they look so good. I've been trying to limit my casein lately and these recipes are all gluten/casein free. Even the advertisements are useful for a Celiac. I would definitely recommend this magazine to anyone with Celiac disease and/or other allergies.

On a side note, Woodchuck Cider has an ad in this magazine. How cool is that!!! I didn't know they were actually marketing their cider to Celiacs. Way way cool for a company like that to discover us as a niche market. If only more mainstream companies could discover the "Celiac loyalty".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I get this, and I love it! I haven't yet made one thing from it, but at least I know I can!!

happygirl Collaborator

I love that magazine....ordered a subscription for my mom, even! It is great!

jenvan Collaborator

Yes, I also love this magazine. Such great recipes too. I loved the chicken mole from last issue...yum!

jerseyangel Proficient

I love this magazine, too, but still haven't subscribed. I just pick it up at Whole Foods. :)

jenvan Collaborator
I love this magazine, too, but still haven't subscribed. I just pick it up at Whole Foods. :)

Make the leap Patti !!

jerseyangel Proficient
Make the leap Patti !!

I know, Jen--it's one of those things I mean to do when I buy a copy, then just don't :ph34r: I will, though! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator
I know, Jen--it's one of those things I mean to do when I buy a copy, then just don't :ph34r: I will, though! :D

:D You know, my issue will be never wanting to throw out any issues. I haven't yet, just want to hang on to all those recipes.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
:D You know, my issue will be never wanting to throw out any issues. I haven't yet, just want to hang on to all those recipes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! My wife tried to throw out my woodworking magazines once. I built a bookcase for them in retalliation! :P

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! My wife tried to throw out my woodworking magazines once. I built a bookcase for them in retalliation! :P

Yep--my house is the same way! My husband and son subscribe to every car magazine known to man--and keep every issue. I have to say I'm the same way with Living Without and Body and Soul--never know when I'll need to refer to them. :ph34r:

We're drowning in magazines :o

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Yep--my house is the same way! My husband and son subscribe to every car magazine known to man--and keep every issue. I have to say I'm the same way with Living Without and Body and Soul--never know when I'll need to refer to them. :ph34r:

We're drowning in magazines :o

Get your hubby a subscription to American Woodworker. Then he'll make you a bookcase! ;)

AndreaB Contributor

Do these recipes use a lot of soy? I may need to check this one out. I got one issue of gluten free living, wasn't super impressed....a lot of money.

Guhlia Rising Star

Andrea, I got one issue of Gluten Free Living and was disgusted. I didn't like it at all. I felt as though it was entirely too opinionated.

The recipes in the Fall 2006 Living Without magazine mostly seem to be soy free. There are a few in which I noticed soy as an ingredient, but certainly not most. Actually, as I read through them, they almost all are soy free. And there are LOTS of them too, it's not just 3 or 4 recipes. I'd say there are well over 30 recipes (I stopped counting at 31)! Almost all appear to be gluten/casein/soy free.

jenvan Collaborator
Do these recipes use a lot of soy? I may need to check this one out. I got one issue of gluten free living, wasn't super impressed....a lot of money.

Yeah, there are quite a few of us here who aren't the biggest fans of the magazine. Hmm. Well, the magazine is for all types of food allergies, so I would say most of the recipes would be easy for you to make soy free if they aren't already. All the recipes are gluten-free and most are cf. But the instructions usually talk about substituting ingredients too.

AndreaB Contributor

Thanks you two. :D

I will definately check this magazine out. The gluten free store I shop at has them I think. That's where I got the other magazine.

mamaw Community Regular

Count me in on loving the living without. I'm not so impressed with the other one. ANd yes, count me in on being a pack-rat. I've collected recipes for years & years. My husband told me if I lived to be 190 I couldn't make every recipe I have collected ..plus the hundreds of cookbooks. I have broken down a few times & donated some of my cookbooks for charity......Oh boy, someday my kids are going to have to get rid of all these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mamaw

Archived