This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

kareng Grand Master

OMG! Grow-up, Jesse! If he doesn't like it, he can cook, help or at least make some helpful suggestions. Saying he hates your cooking isn't helpful.

Back to my original statement!

If he isn't willing to work with you, what can you do?

If he had some already cooked chicken, he could have thrown it in his bowl of chili.

If there is stuff they really hate, I don't fix it for them. But just cause its not as fun as nuggets and fries doesn't cut it here.

So frustrating!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star

He doesn't cook. He reheats. I work 12's at the hospital so he takes care of 3 dinners a week. Usually consists of microwaved quesadillas, microwaved hot dogs or waffles and eggs.

uuuhhhh....and he's complaining about your cooking??

Why don't you do a dinner budget, figure how much per meal, then count by the week. You get half, he gets half. Anything left from each person's half they get to spend on themselves. Budget one day for take-out, pizza, or whatever random fun way you feel like eating.

Jestgar Rising Star

And why, in heaven's name are you asking two kids, and a whiny-a$$ dude what they want YOU to make for them? You promise to avoid stuff you know they hate, but that's pretty much the end of your menu services.

It sounds like you indulge Jesse way too much, and he's starting to take it for granted. Definitely family meeting, but new rules are in order. On Sunday, kids can choose two meals, one of dad's one of your's. No more day-of decisions, and they eat what you make. Anyone refusing that night's meal gets one pb sandwich, no jelly.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If there is stuff they really hate, I don't fix it for them. But just cause its not as fun as nuggets and fries doesn't cut it here.

So frustrating!

Tell me about it! I don't make things they don't like. If 1 of them says they don't like it (except Max bc he complains about everything), I won't make it again

uuuhhhh....and he's complaining about your cooking??

Why don't you do a dinner budget, figure how much per meal, then count by the week. You get half, he gets half. Anything left from each person's half they get to spend on themselves. Budget one day for take-out, pizza, or whatever random fun way you feel like eating.

Sounds good, worth a try!

And why, in heaven's name are you asking two kids, and a whiny-a$$ dude what they want YOU to make for them? You promise to avoid stuff you know they hate, but that's pretty much the end of your menu services.

It sounds like you indulge Jesse way too much, and he's starting to take it for granted. Definitely family meeting, but new rules are in order. On Sunday, kids can choose two meals, one of dad's one of your's. No more day-of decisions, and they eat what you make. Anyone refusing that night's meal gets one pb sandwich, no jelly.

I like to cook and I want to cook the things they like to eat...within reason... But if he can't give me any examples of what he wants on his plate I can't help him. PB for him every night I guess :rolleyes:

Jestgar Rising Star

And you need to stop this "I would have given you pizza, but mommy made you vegetables" thing right now. If he can't support you in front of the kids, then he gets time out, and no dinner.

And if the kids want pizza, they're going to start early in the morning making the bread dough, and do the whole thing themselves (ok, you can work the oven and the knives). Or somehow be made to understand that money used for a pizza gets taken away from money used for some other fun thing they want. In fact, why don't you come up with a whole family budget. If the kids want to put their week's money in for pizza, they get pizza (or whatever). Otherwise, they eat your dinner without complaining and get to spend their budget money on whatever they want.

In fact, why don't you come up with a whole family budget. If the kids want to put their week's money in for pizza, they get pizza (or whatever). Otherwise, they eat your dinner without complaining and get to spend their budget money on whatever they want.

I've been stewing on this all day today and I think what my plan is to sit down with a calendar for the fridge and go over food for all 4 of us. I am unwilling to bend on more meat during the week. 3 dinners a week is enough! So I handle 4 dinners, Jesse handles 3. We'll do a menu plan for the month with each person picking different meals with eating out 2-4x a month for the family. If I'm making something that 2 like but 1 doesn't, then the other gets a pb sammie. It will help me to have a plan in advance. Will help getting groceries and time management. Jesse's been under a tremendous (sp??) amount of stress at work, but he doesn't need to be taking it out on me. He's off to Cleveland Sunday morning for a week. That will help us all :rolleyes:

elye Community Regular

WELL....been offline for about twelve hours -- some technical thang in our phone area....

So, just reading up on the food dilemma in Rahshellle's household. The answer to this is completely summed up in Jyessss's last post:

In fact, why don't you come up with a whole family budget. If the kids want to put their week's money in for pizza, they get pizza (or whatever). Otherwise, they eat your dinner without complaining and get to spend their budget money on whatever they want.

Great idea. And this from a woman with no complaining husband nor kids.. . ...well done! Perhaps that is the secret -- when you're right in it, ya canna see the forest for the trees. Someone totally outside the sitch can often troubleshoot best...

:)

Gahhh, glad to be back in the virtual world.......must now go and deal with my fifty-odd emails.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

He's off to Cleveland Sunday morning for a week. That will help us all :rolleyes:

I heard Dolly Parton one time on a talk show talking about her secret for a long marriage. She said "sometimes you just have to get away. last time I had to go all the way to California"

I heard Dolly Parton one time on a talk show talking about her secret for a long marriage. She said "sometimes you just have to get away. last time I had to go all the way to California"

It's very very true!!

Jestgar Rising Star

My good little roo will find the tasty bits in the pile of veggie scraps that I put in the pen, one at a time pick them up and drop them near the hens with a gentle 'cluck cluck cluck cluck' noise. When one of the girls snaps it up he'll go find another piece and start again. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

kareng Grand Master

My good little roo will find the tasty bits in the pile of veggie scraps that I put in the pen, one at a time pick them up and drop them near the hens with a gentle 'cluck cluck cluck cluck' noise. When one of the girls snaps it up he'll go find another piece and start again. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Is that like a date for a chicken? Or seduction?

Jestgar Rising Star

Is that like a date for a chicken? Or seduction?

I suppose jewelry is impractical in the coop, and flowers would just be eaten anyway. Dropping corn kernels, and morning serenades is the best he can do. :)

elye Community Regular

That roo is one little gentleman! B)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Too Cute!!! Can we get a pic of your roo?

Jestgar Rising Star

I put some on da book.

Seuss has blue ears, and a mulberry colored comb.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Seuss has blue ears, and a mulberry colored comb.

Such a ladies man!!!!! . . . I mean rooster!!! . . . Who wouldn't go for blue ears???

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Too cute about the roo wooing!

So my inlaws saga continues even though they are no longer here. MIL called yesterday to say they wanted to rent a beach house for a week in summer 2012 and have a little family reunion. They had not set the date yet and called to find out when would be good for us (and if we would go at all). There would be a lot of family there that hubby has not seen for years and he really wants to go. After a lot of talking and looking over the area hubby and I figured out we would be able to do a weekend and stay in a nearby hotel instead of the beach OR plan B would be that he could go without me since it's his family. So Hubby called back today (less than 24 hours later) to tell MIL what weeks worked for us (based on his work schedule and when he could possibly get time off). MIL of course has already booked the house for a week when he cannot possibly come. I understand it's hard to accomodate everyone when working with family members from 6 different states but it was almost as if she didn't care whether we came or not (or she assumes we wouldn't come because of my food issues). Now she can complain about us not being there and make us out to be the bad people that don't care about family. I could handle them just hating me but hubby is crushed that they are doing this. He really wants to see some members of his extended family.

Jestgar Rising Star

It's far enough away that she could cancel without penalty. Have hubby email all the relatives and say how much he wants to see them, but he's limited to these dates. How many people would be able to do any, or all of those dates?

Jestgar Rising Star

Here's my upcoming family drama. My sister, who hasn't spoken to any of us in, oh, ten years or so, just emailed that she'll be at my parents' house for Thanksgiving. Along with my brother and his daughter, my aunt, and my B and SIL from TX.Most of us haven't seen these people since my bro's wedding in Italy (4 years ago?)

Parents and texans are hard core republicans. Bainbridge Islander are bleeding heart liberals. Sis and Aunt, politics unknown.

I'll be bringing wine...

psawyer Proficient

Parents and texans are hard core republicans. Bainbridge Islander are bleeding heart liberals. Sis and Aunt, politics unknown.

There are two things you must never discuss with friends, lest they be no longer friends: religion and politics.

You can choose your friends, but you are stuck with your relatives. :blink:

Jestgar Rising Star

There are two things you must never discuss with friends, lest they be no longer friends: religion and politics.

I avoid the topics. Not everyone is so considerate...

The BI folk have a hotel and can escape, within reason. The Texans are intelligent, and educated. I like them a lot, and politics rarely comes up when we talk. If it does, it's a casual, well reasoned discussion. My mom has serious memory issues and can bring up the same topic several times before she lets it go.

To give you an idea, the last time I was there, My niece brought out her new pistol and passed it around the dinner table. I have no problem with guns, but the extent to which the Eastern WA-ers were enamored with the weapons discussion was perplexing to me. I just don't see the fun in "going out to the range and shooting of a few rounds". It's almost surreal to visit.

kareng Grand Master

I went to Thanksgiving dinner once and after dinner, we glued teeth back into the skull of a murder victim.

I wish we had talked politics! & you know I had alot of wine!

Anyway- will there be any kids there? I like to spend the time "hiding" by playing with the kids.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Morning all!!! smile.gif

If I said 'Avast me hearties' would you know what day it is??

Land lubbers!!!

wink.gif

kareng Grand Master

Morning all!!! smile.gif

If I said 'Avast me hearties' would you know what day it is??

Land lubbers!!!

wink.gif

Aye, Wench! It be Talk Like A Pirate Day! Argh!

Darn210 Enthusiast

What would we do without Nik reminding us of these important matters?

Arrrgggghhh!

Archived