• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

51,027 posts in this topic

GottaSki    459

No hangover here - my computer is not happy with c.com today - very slow.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Feel better Shadow :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    thewaythingsare

• Topics

• Hey guys,   I appreciate the input, you are all very sweet and kind.   I do not eat out at all. Only eat food I cook. No alcohol. Only certified gluten-free oats, grains, rice, etc. I have 3 roommates in a little house. I have my own gluten-free section to cook and prepare food but it only does so much. They eat tons of bread and drink lots of beer so it's everywhere. I find myself washing my hands every 30 seconds just to lower my risk. I bite my nails, which I know doesn't help.    And I will look into those magnesium and calming products, those sound nice.   i think yea, the biggest thing I'm looking for here is a way to minimize these symptoms that throw me off. I'm feeling a bit better today, but still extremely sluggish, with a crippling stomach ache.  I guess I'll aim for 7 hours of sleep. That makes sense, I think I need to prioritize that.
    • What was your gluten free diet like? I wonder if, when you were gluten-free, you went more whole food, less processed food? Or did you continue to eat processed food that was just gluten free? One reason I ask is that I have cut way back on grains and processed foods like gluten-free bread, but occasionally allow myself a treat which is a gluten-free biscuit southern-style from the gluten-free bakery nearby. There is no better sleeping pill in the world! I am knocked out. I’m not saying you’re not Celiac, I’m just curious what your diet was replaced with. You’re definitely reacting to something, and in a way you’re lucky to know what that is! Plumbago
    • Equal parts Hershey Coco Powder and a sweetener with a pinch of salt. Super easy to make your own.  I like adding a bit to my coffee with almond milk, and lakanto sugar free maple, or a bit of monk fruit or stevia. 
      PS you might want to drop dairy milk. The enzymes to break it down come from the tips of the villi in your intestines....these are damaged first. You can probably reintroduce in a few months but we normally suggest dropping it, and going to a whole foods only diet when first going gluten free. Welcome to the community by the way here are some useful links.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/ https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/
    • I was just diagnosed yesterday via lab testing and was quite shocked.  I have been looking for gluten free replacements for things as I am a definite bread-lover.  I have been using the Non-Sugar-Added Nesquik every day since long before it the name change from Nestle's Quik and just checked the label this morning.  I does say "May contain wheat"....not that there may cross contamination, but since i am so new to this I don't know if those are essentially the same thing.   I guess I will need to be a little more strict in the beginning and then try adding things back in a few months that may not be definite offenders.   If it doesn;t work, I will have to find a substitute.  I did find Carnation Breakfast Essentials Light Start is Gluten Free, but much more expensive for using every day.  But apparently almost everything gluten-free is if it is not naturally that way.....
    • I'm only a year into this and was doing some research when I saw your post was at the bottom of the page. I've never posted here, but I felt compelled to reply.  I feel what you are going through. I so get that. I'm so sorry you are stuck in your celiac rut. I understand the starting to fall into a depression. This does absolutely suck. Hugs to you and encouragement. You are not alone.  College is hard enough to handle without the additional pressures of a chronic illness. You are studying nursing. This tells me you are a giver, and you likely put yourself last. Your body is telling you it's time to make it about you again.  If you haven't already, please, let your professors know what is going on with your health. They should be able to give you some accommodations for when you have these fallouts to reduce some of the stress.  For the time being, tighten up your diet. Go back to the simplest and cleanest whole foods until you can do a serious search of where the contamination is coming from, but try to get the healthiest foods in you. I know that is hard in college. If you don't eat a lot of grains, make sure you are getting vitamin Bs through supplements. I was not aware that I was B2 deficient, and that messed up my mind and my sleep. If you still struggle with your diet making you sick, try the AIP diet, Autoimmune Protocol diet. That made a huge difference for me.  Mental health is an important as the physical. Even if you can't get your workout (my body needs a workout, too), go for a walk outside (if you are able) to get some sun and time with nature until you can. Study outside. Read outside. Just get outside. It might not seem like much, but I believe that saved me. When I was so depleted, just walking in the sun with music in my ears helped me start to get my mind turned around. It was the beginning of the change I needed to get it out of its depression. Walking turned into jogging, and now it's interval training and back to boot camp exercise. I'm sorry this is what you are going through. Courage to you! You are going to make an exceptional nurse because you go through these things. Your understanding and compassion will be far superior than others who have not lived this life. Remember you are never alone with this. That helps me at times when nothing else does. Love to you, and keep posting your progress if you have time.    
  • Upcoming Events