This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I thought you pick the wine based on what you're eating, not the other way 'round!

:lol: NO! definitely plan the food around your wine, silly. :lol:

Excellent joke, Jess.

Boyfriend situation.....

:o

Susie no longer discusses anything like that on this thread (or any other, methinks)....sorry sillies....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast

Me thinks Susie is boring. :P

Shiraz? NOW who's making up words!! :lol:

(Ok I've heard it said before but don't get how a new type of wine appears. New blend or old one suddenly popular?)

I like it very much ... from what I read on the internet after your question, I think it falls into the old one suddenly popular category as it's not a blend, though sometimes they blend it with something else .... but it's not a blend on its own.

:lol::lol:

I thought you pick the wine based on what you're eating, not the other way 'round!

Depends on your priorities.

tom Contributor
Boyfriend situation.....

:o

Susie no longer discusses anything like that on this thread (or any other, methinks)....sorry sillies....

Oh my, and they're practically begging for details over on OMG!

<noticed the edit hehe>

Carla! I'll have to try a Shiraz. If it's good, I won't care *where* it came from!

(And I AM still LOL'g at that omg post!!)

gfp Enthusiast
:lol: :lol:

Rather depends on several factors....

(seriously even on this thread!)

1/ How serious you are about the wine...

2/ How serious those you are dining with are about the wine

3/ The actual wine available

e.g. If I see a really good wine at a reasonable price (which I consider reasonable and depending on the wine this might exceptionally be $200) then I will chose the food depending on that wine...

However this needs a really good wine list... and for that wine to be a good buy for THAT exact wine/producer and year and also for me to have confidence in the storage of that wine.

As a hint... and you can watch this look at the US price of a Bandol Rose Domaine Ott this year... look at the 06 because that is what you should be drinking because it looses the fragrance very quickly, even when well stored...

Next year prices will have increased by 20-50% (I doubt you'll believe me just write it down and check next summer on the 2007) both will be fine examples...

This has been the premium French Rose for a while but consumption is quite small and exports not that high a percentage but this year as some may have noticed Rose has become a little more popular...

Its one of the most expensive Rose's but then Rose's never command a great price... retail price in France is

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hi Steve!!! GREAT to see you! And on the funnies, no less. Of course it would be wine that would bring you here.

I think the Shiraz I've had has always been from Australia ... not any $200 per bottle. Though I did have a taste of some $400 bottles of wine a couple months ago ... that was a restaurant price. The manufacturer Adam sells for was taking one of their biggest (Adam's customer) clients out to dinner ... their whole family, and the big wigs from the co. along with Adam and I, so about 14 ... and we had a private room, but we weren't going to be able to spend enough to have the private room, thus the $400 wine.

I had a couple sips. :rolleyes: (I can't have it because of the abx).

But, IMO, if you're going to spend $200 on a bottle of wine, you definately pick the food to go with the wine! ;)

elye Community Regular

All I know is, every glass of wine I put to my lips in Paris was superb. Maybe it was the rock-bottom price...or the Seine glittering through the cafe windows...whatever the real reason matters little, I had some spectacular wine experiences over there.

And did I mention all the drunks in London? Whoa, they were everywhere! I was quite taken aback...

....I..am..so...jetlagged..... :(

CarlaB Enthusiast
All I know is, every glass of wine I put to my lips in Paris was superb. Maybe it was the rock-bottom price...or the Seine glittering through the cafe windows...whatever the real reason matters little, I had some spectacular wine experiences over there.

And did I mention all the drunks in London? Whoa, they were everywhere! I was quite taken aback...

No, you didn't mention the drunks in London, but I think Nikki has ... I think one was hitting on her.

The thing about wine is, it's ALWAYS better in another country!! That cause you're on vacation.

I'm glad you had a nice trip.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

:lol: Emily! Welcome back!

The wine in Paris! It really is better and cheaper, Europeans are quite fortunate to have the yummy cheap wines from ALL over the continent. Makes me FURIOUS, the crap we have here. :angry: (although there are many great CA reds - - just have to do LOTS of research to find the good cheap ones :lol: )

Glad Steve came to our SILLY thread to clear up the Shiraz/Syrah issue. I do not have time, I am in a bloody HEINOUS whirlwind of party planning for my mom's 70th b-day luncheon in TWO DAYS. :o We never thought she'd be here at 70....very serious cancer - TWICE - and three heart attacks (the medieval radiation in the 60's damaged her heart tissue).....

I am a wildly disorganized person, you all should see the photo I took of my living room. :lol::ph34r: and that's just ONE room........ :lol::lol::lol:

so much to do. gotta go! If you see me on here, it means I am very stressed, and wasting time.....so SCREAM AT ME!!!!!! :lol:

tom Contributor
...or the Seine glittering through the cafe windows...

Ahhhhh I like the sound of that! :)

Welcome back Emily!

(although there are many great CA reds - - just have to do LOTS of research to find the good cheap ones :lol: )

Next time you run into one . . . do tell!

Susie, hehehe, I got a couple recommendations from a chatty woman at the store a couple days ago, but didn't really read the labels until I got home. Ummmmmm *how* many wineries are in Gonzalez? (Wasn't that where? Or was it King City :lol: )

. . . . I am in a bloody HEINOUS whirlwind of party planning for my mom's 70th b-day luncheon in TWO DAYS. :o We never thought she'd be here at 70....

And may you use the same phrase at 80. :)

so much to do. gotta go! If you see me on here, it means I am very stressed, and wasting time.....so SCREAM AT ME!!!!!! :lol:

Chyah! :o . . . that procrastination-via-online-overactivity is nothin but trouble! ;):lol:

elye Community Regular

Ahhh...it's so nice to be back within this frenzied discourse! My French isn't quite strong enough to carry along wittily with Parisiens like this, and the Londoners...well... <_<

Allow me to elaborate somewhat on my experience with the lushes of London (that would make a good band name, now wouldn't it?). Something considered SO ordinary, SO acceptable in downtown London (Nikki, I'm dying to hear you on this one) and something we saw every night as we wandered through the Theatre District and Trafalgar Square: at about six o'clock, the restaurants and bars are overspilled out onto the streets with staggering young professionals (6 pm!). By 8 pm, we notice these large, fibreglass things being unfolded and set up every few blocks. I thought they were barricades of some kind. But no...by ten o'clock, we see five, six inebriated blokes crowding around these things and peeing into what was obviously a portable reservoir in the centre. An hour later, men and women were finding their way there to deposit some vomit, as well. Wow. Then, by two am (my estimate), they are dismantled. This is quite a measure by the city to keep things clean. And propogate some unbelievable behavior. Exactly the opposite feel in Paris. I guess I'm just an unworldly Canadian who was very due to see the real world! :o

CarlaB Enthusiast

Emily, I don't know if that is shocking or hysterical! :huh::lol:

I guess they got tired of cleaning the streets ....

elye Community Regular

...Shocking, then hysterical...and finally, rather pathetic. I thought we Canucks got bad with flowing beer around the tv during Stanley Cup playoffs, but NOTHING holds a candle to what we saw in London! :o:o

tom Contributor
...Shocking, then hysterical...and finally, rather pathetic.

Are "disgusting" and . . ."just . . .. plain . . . . icky" available?

Woohoo I'm off to Tucson for the day! My Univ of AZ is there and some friends and my old drummer who now wins consecutive Grammys w/ the Navajo flute guy, R. Carlos Nakai. Bandmates get pretty tight and I haven't seen Will in 15yrs. :) :) :)

Now . . . . . .if only I had something silly to add . . . .

Hard to believe OMG actually was temporarily moved to the gab section!!!!

Jestgar Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

ebay auction

CarlaB Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Link

ebay auction

Thankfully, they get older ... though my kids weren't that naughty, they valued their life!!

Yeah, I still get the, "Are these all your kids?"

Notice, they ask it wrong ... I always want to answer, "No, I have a few more at home!" Well, sometimes I get asked it and some of them are at home.

Another favorite is, "Don't you know what causes that?" I had a friend answer one time when she was asked that at Church, "Yeah, and I think it's fun!" I've answered, "Yeah, can't you figure it out?" ... that was to a relative.

It's interesting having a big family, that's for sure!

tom Contributor

Hehe couple of amusing tidbits last night in Tucson.

My friend, Kirstin, had a couple friends looking for a night out, and since 'the more the merrier' rule is ALWAYS in effect re: any friend's performance, we were joined by a Susie & and a Patti. Hehehe :)

And naturally, after a while talking/laughing at the table (awesome yet typical Tucson mountain resort patio, btw, w/ the band's backdrop being the twinkling tapestry of city lights miles away in the valley), one of them asks how I feel about the estrogen overload at our table. So I can only say it feels totally natural, thx to R'ville, and that 3:1 is nothin' compared to the daily 8 or 10 or 12 to 1 on these threads. :lol:;)

W/ them all being married - so no flirtacious behavior - it was about like being out w/ a bunch of guys, minus the anatomical terms of derision :blink: , lewd patter about the women in view :rolleyes: , and arguing over how to split the check :unsure: . (One weasel is *always* trying to get away w/ something) <_<

CarlaB Enthusiast
So I can only say it feels totally natural, thx to R'ville, and that 3:1 is nothin' compared to the daily 8 or 10 or 12 to 1 on these threads. :lol:;)

I bet they totally understood that! LOL People generally think you're nuts when you talk about your online friends like they're friends!

I'm glad you had a good time.

elye Community Regular

It's very true, Tom, that you are presented here an enviable opportunity. You can banter at a distance with countless females, trying out certain lines of conversation, getting a handle on the way we tick, and there's no bar bill to pay, no worries about where to look, just ample opportunity to listen and file away bits of knowledge from the estrogen camp. What a great opportunity, were I single, to be on a neverending testosterone thread, with a dozen intermittent guys. Lots to learn! (I'd never be asked for directions anywhere, that's certain)... :D

tom Contributor
. . . no worries about where to look, . . ..

LOL come now Em, we're not worrying about where to look - the issue is whether to worry about getting caught WHEN we look!!! :lol:

<tom ponders ducking>

tom Contributor
It's interesting having a big family, that's for sure!

Somehow it came to mind the other day that if I'd NOT had gluten reintroduced at age 5 and been gluten-free my whole life, I might have a big family too.

It wasn't thought of in a sad regretful way, tho that can still happen sometimes.

I think I'd always want at least one ~3-5 yrs old! They crack me up. :lol:

elye Community Regular

Tom, at the risk of turning this crazed discourse of silliness into something...well...serious...(heaven forbid)!, and acknowledging that coming into this thread quite late, I likely have missed much personal history from everyone, it sounds like you stand out in your nightmare gluten story. You've hinted at years of your life simply written off. Boy, I count my blessings every day, as I literally stumbled upon my diagnosis, symptom-free if you can imagine. The variations in this illness continue to astonish me.

And Tom...no need to duck. Being caught looking is a GOOD thing, when you are sitting amongst women within shouting distance of forty. I haven't got the time (or the body anymore, probably) to be offended... :rolleyes::lol:

tom Contributor
Tom, at the risk of turning this crazed discourse of silliness into something...well...serious...(heaven forbid)!, and acknowledging that coming into this thread quite late, I likely have missed much personal history from everyone, . . . .

Weeeeeeeelll, u didn't really "miss" mine, as I've never really gone into it online. (Or offline, for that matter) Sure, I've commented sometimes about particular symptoms that someone else has posted about, but it may be awhile yet before I'm ok w/ writing/thinking about it.

It'd be different if I thought my story might help someone, but I can't see how that'd be possible.

(So now back to our regularly scheduled silliness!! :D )

And Tom...no need to duck. Being caught looking is a GOOD thing, . . . .

I'm not so sure we're talking about the same thing here. ;)

. . . . . and there's no bar bill to pay, no worries about where to look, just ample opportunity to listen

Was it really just the proximity of the word "ample" that made the "where to look" sound cleavage-related, and therefore more about where NOT to look?

<"eyes up here mister"> <_<

While the topic's raised, what is it w/ the women who've obviously purposefully chosen a certain top w/ decolla . . . decollet .. .dehhh . . . . cleavage-revealing properties but expect to reserve the right to be offended by the weak-willed males' lingering glance?? :o

(that's males in general, ladies, this is not a confession! :lol: )

I've seen women act like they've caught the clown who's installed shoe-mirrors in order to look up skirts!

Jestgar Rising Star
While the topic's raised, what is it w/ the women who've obviously purposefully chosen a certain top w/ decolla . . . decollet .. .dehhh . . . . cleavage-revealing properties but expect to reserve the right to be offended by the weak-willed males' lingering glance?? :o

(that's males in general, ladies, this is not a confession! :lol: )

I've seen women act like they've caught the clown who's installed shoe-mirrors in order to look up skirts!

This is the furious 8 page rant, but I don't have time for that, so add in lots of swear words and repetition:

Hey! I have big boobs. EVERYTHING I wear looks like I'm offering up a display unless it's a tent.

I also have a high IQ, a great voice, fabulous cooking skills and a lot of other talents THAT AREN"T VISUAL!!

Stop Frickin Looking and talk to me! You might discover I'm actually interesting, not just decorative.

tom Contributor
This is the furious 8 page rant, but I don't have time for that, so add in lots of swear words and repetition:

. . . .

. . . . . . . . You might discover I'm actually interesting, not just decorative.

Hey don't go yellin at ME!! :blink: We're talking about some *other* guys!!

(How about "THEY might discover I'm actually interesting, . . . " ?)

Yet it's still my duty to mention that not all tops are low-cut. <again - ready to duck> :P

Jestgar Rising Star
Hey don't go yellin at ME!! :blink: We're talking about some *other* guys!!

There are responsibilities inherent in being the token male. And it was the plural "you", meaning all lascivious males. It's up to you to decide if you fit in there or not.

And I wear nothing low cut (I'm a scientist, with all the stereotypical frumpiness), but they stick out. I can't change that.

Archived