This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

nikki-uk Enthusiast
First of all, let me say that I'm a long-time listener and a first-time caller. I'm a big fan of the show.

Welcome to the madness Janet :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tom Contributor
Tom, I really think you set yourself up like this on purpose ...

<genteel south'un accent> Mah deeyah, whutevah do you mean?

tom Contributor
First of all, let me say that I'm a long-time listener and a first-time caller. I'm a big fan of the show. :rolleyes:

Hehe welcome in Janet!!

And what are the names of those 2 lil cuties in your av?

And why are they at Budweiser's ranch?

But I have to ask . . .

Tom's registered in '04 and Murph registered in '07 . . . Are you saying he registered under another name just to give you grief? And how did you discover it was Tom?

Psssst Janet! <looks around> Carla has her good days & bad. Paranoid delusions are part of the package, but we love her. It'll pass. Always does.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I also tried foot CCW and drawing a 9.

It took me a minute...'til I realised CCW=Counter clockwise..... :lol::lol:

I know you meant Anti clockwise ;)

the Grand Poohbah of Grammar

:lol: Emily has an excellent new title

elye Community Regular

That's wild, Tom...I never see compound words separated into two words. Perhaps I'm slipping. :o And the "Grand Poobah"! What an honour. I can just picture myself in one of those huge, fuzzy, RCMP-type hats with horns, a la Fred and Barney at their Water Buffalo meetings. Somehow, I think Susan could get away with wearing this type of crown much better than I, and is likely much more deserving of the title than I am. Especially if she's talking about glottal catches and phantom h's...I ain't messing with that one, either! :rolleyes::P

Welcome, Janet! Does your husband ever dangle his participles? In front of you? :lol:

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Ok - argue amongst yourselves as to who is THE GRAND POOBAH OF GRAMMAR (and who wears it best) but Open Original Shared Link is the hat you will be crowned with :D

tom Contributor
It took me a minute...'til I realised CCW=Counter clockwise..... :lol::lol:

I know you meant Anti clockwise ;)

ANTI!??? I can understand newer inventions having different words - lift, boot (but how the heck footwear relates to automotive storage is beyond me) - but timepiece terms?

Now I'm wondering if there was a controversy among the very 1st clockmakers as to which way should BE "clockwise"?

Or lol wait! - was sundial-wise once in common use? :lol::)

And it that case, is it another example of Northern Hemisphere-centric thinking?

(There's really no good reason to make globes and maps w/ north at the top, except that we're all used to it that way)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor
That's wild, Tom...I never see compound words separated into two words. Perhaps I'm slipping. :o

I see two possibilies. Either you'll now begin to see them every where :P<_< or it's a uniquely american educational failure. Our entire "self-esteem generation" is gonna be screwed imho.

. . . . but Open Original Shared Link is the hat you will be crowned with :D

ROFL!! :D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol:

FYI: This is me procrastinating on the packing and planning so sorely needed. If I go w/ a POD to move, I'll be w/out my stuff for 8 days. Hmmm where to BE for those days? Maybe South Carolina? Haven't been to Dad's new house since he & wife moved there from gulf-coast Florida. Hmmm <rubbing chin>

elye Community Regular
Ok - argue amongst yourselves as to who is THE GRAND POOBAH OF GRAMMAR (and who wears it best) but Open Original Shared Link is the hat you will be crowned with :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am buyin' myself one of those, you can be sure....

I've never heard of anti-clockwise, either, and we Canucks tend to use a lot of English idioms. Nothern-hemispheric thinking, indeed...(chin-rubbing, also)...

CarlaB Enthusiast

You guys are on a roll!

First of all, let me say that I'm a long-time listener and a first-time caller. I'm a big fan of the show. :rolleyes:

But I have to ask . . .

Tom's registered in '04 and Murph registered in '07 . . . Are you saying he registered under another name just to give you grief? And how did you discover it was Tom?

Tom registered as Murph to give me grief. He registered as Tom in '04, but hadn't been online in a long time, so he re-registered as Murph. Then he found his old account and started using it ... the whole progression of events is in the OMG thread. :P

Welcome! Now that you're here, you have to stay!

Psssst Janet! <looks around> Carla has her good days & bad. Paranoid delusions are part of the package, but we love her. It'll pass. Always does.

:lol::lol::lol:

Darn210 Enthusiast
And what are the names of those 2 lil cuties in your av?

And why are they at Budweiser's ranch?

Shocking, isn't it? And my husband prefers Miller Lite. :P

Welcome, Janet! Does your husband ever dangle his participles? In front of you? :lol:

Don't all husbands do that??? :rolleyes::lol:

I have to tell you that your grammer patrol intimidates me. I'm much more gooder with numbers. And some days (or for you, Emily, somedays) you guys make my brain hurt. :blink:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Try this !!

How smart is Your Right Foot??

tried it w/ the left and could do it (I'm left-handed) but could not, as predicted, w/ the right. Did not try it ANTI clockwise.

Especially if she's talking about glottal catches and phantom h's...I ain't messing with that one, either! :rolleyes:

I think I was only smart on that one day. :huh: Just makes you SOUND smart if you use words like "glottals" and "aspirated fricatives" :lol:

ANTI!??? I can understand newer inventions having different words - lift, boot (but how the heck footwear relates to automotive storage is beyond me) - but timepiece terms?

Now I'm wondering if there was a controversy among the very 1st clockmakers as to which way should BE "clockwise"?

Or lol wait! - was sundial-wise once in common use? :lol::)

And it that case, is it another example of Northern Hemisphere-centric thinking?

(There's really no good reason to make globes and maps w/ north at the top, except that we're all used to it that way)

Welcome to Tom's constantly overanalyzing, soy-deprived brain. :lol:

I have to tell you that your grammer patrol intimidates me. I'm much more gooder with numbers. And some days (or for you, Emily, somedays) you guys make my brain hurt. :blink:

well come on in, crazy!!!! She's gooder with numbers! me likes her!!

Miller Lite. Pshaw! Even one who craves ANYTHING w/ gluten would reject it. :lol: (I do know you were kidding)

and I know, this thread started making my brain hurt when Tom joined.

WHERE IS RICHARD??????? he is our founder, and has fully abandoned us. HARRUMPH!

Emily - I love your wacky dad and those photos. Never saw the show, that I know of, but he is a lunatic, one can see. :)

Dingy, signing out. off to bed.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

p.s.

Nikkeigh, is that hat only available in the UK? would LOVE to get that for my wacky brother...

:lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Shocking, isn't it? And my husband prefers Miller Lite. :P

Miller Lite put me through college ... no, I never liked beer ... my dad sold it. :lol:

Yeah, I'm better with numbers, too. I can't process some of the stuff that goes on in this thread! :lol:

tom Contributor
Tom registered as Murph to give me grief. He registered as Tom in '04, but hadn't been online in a long time, so he re-registered as Murph. Then he found his old account and started using it ... the whole progression of events is in the OMG thread. :P

LOL :lol: Dang!! Looks like I've fallen short of my mini-"goal" to see if I could get you to find and link to the 'tom' post that SAYS "this is Murph under old acct name" !!! :P ROFL I thought it was gonna happen! :D:lol:

Back then I'm sure I thought you lived in Indiana, you hoosier-poser you! :D

P.S. Ever go to Bevis to look for buttheads? <_<

CarlaB Enthusiast
LOL :lol: Dang!! Looks like I've fallen short of my mini-"goal" to see if I could get you to find and link to the 'tom' post that SAYS "this is Murph under old acct name" !!! :P ROFL I thought it was gonna happen! :D:lol:

Nope, didn't need to do that, you just confirmed it was truth!

Back then I'm sure I thought you lived in Indiana, you hoosier-poser you! :D

Nope, lived here in Ohio. We moved here in Jan. 2006 ... well, I stayed back in IN till our oldest graduated ... but I am a native Buckeye. I've lived in Austin, Houston, LA, St. Petersburg, Indianapolis, Spencer (small town outside Bloomington), and am back to about 20 miles from where I grew up!

P.S. Ever go to Bevis to look for buttheads? <_<
Nope ... I just come to this thread, there's a resident butthead.
elye Community Regular

Janet, anyone who is much gooder with numbers is a winner for me. So glad you're here--you never know when we will suddenly need to invert a trigonometric function or square a hypotenuse (can you really even do those things? Those sound like impressive, complex terms...) I worry about myself sometimes, as I'm rotten with numbers but fairly capable with words, and I still get a sore brain from the stuff that flies by on this thread!

Too afraid to try the right foot/left hand thing...scary things can happen with me when I demand relaying of information via my corpus collosum. I think my two brain hemispheres should keep to themselves....

Yes, my dad is officially a lunatic. As a youngster, I used to sit at the dinner table waiting to see who would be joining us, as my dad would go to the studio in the morning, tape through the afternoon in full costume, then rush home for dinner and go right back to finish filming. He'd come into the dining room as a drunken slob, or a black gospel singer, or Mother Theresa, or Richard Simmons. Never, ever a dull moment. :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Too afraid to try the right foot/left hand thing...scary things can happen with me when I demand relaying of information via my corpus collosum. I think my two brain hemispheres should keep to themselves....

I didn't try it either ... I have enough trouble with brain function right now that I don't need to add to my frustrations!

Yes, my dad is officially a lunatic. As a youngster, I used to sit at the dinner table waiting to see who would be joining us, as my dad would go to the studio in the morning, tape through the afternoon in full costume, then rush home for dinner and go right back to finish filming. He'd come into the dining room as a drunken slob, or a black gospel singer, or Mother Theresa, or Richard Simmons. Never, ever a dull moment. :lol:

I must have skimmed over the original question ... are all these avatar pictures your dad?

elye Community Regular

Yep. You can see clips from his last show, "You Can't Do That on Television", by punching it into Youtube. Very ahead of its time! :)

tom Contributor
Nope, didn't need to do that, you just confirmed it was truth!

D'oh!!

:)

I've lived in Austin, Houston, LA, St. Petersburg, Indianapolis, Spencer (small town outside Bloomington), and am back to about 20 miles from where I grew up!

You really got around!

OK then, narrowing it down to Austin, LA & St. Pete, which was fav?

Nope ... I just come to this thread, there's a resident butthead.

Gah!!! I'm lucky I wasn't drinking anything as I read this! :lol:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
So glad you're here--you never know when we will suddenly need to invert a trigonometric function or square a hypotenuse (can you really even do those things?

:o:huh::lol:

OMG - those are the types of things that they make you do in HELL. :lol::lol::lol: oh, AND a mind-numbing amount of excel spreadsheets. :lol:

Darn210 Enthusiast
Miller Lite. Pshaw! Even one who craves ANYTHING w/ gluten would reject it. :lol: (I do know you were kidding)

Alas, no, I was not kidding. Even now that we are past that financially strapped point in our lives and can afford something better, my husband still prefers Miller Lite. However, we did upgrade from cans to bottles! Yee-haw! :P

So glad you're here--you never know when we will suddenly need to invert a trigonometric function or square a hypotenuse.

There! I got 'em all right! What do I win?!! LOL

One is the "golden rectangle" isn't it?

And the natural logarithmic nautilus shape is prob a fav too.

Emily, there's Tom from another thread. I think he's got you covered on the math stuff, too.

Sure there is . . . North is at the top. If it was at the bottom, the world would turn over and we would all fall off! :o

tom Contributor
Emily, there's Tom from another thread. I think he's got you covered on the math stuff, too.

Aw Janet :lol: I was actually figuring to abstain from the math talk, unless it became integral to another topic - however tangentially. It could too easily stray into math anecdotes. No one wants that. . . . .

OMG - those are the types of things that they make you do in HELL. :lol::lol::lol: oh, AND a mind-numbing amount of excel spreadsheets. :lol:

Now see here co-Poohbah! :angry:

I don't diss your glottals (much <_< ) and you should know I find Truth & Beauty in Differential Equations, so leave my math alone!! :P:lol:

tom Contributor

What the . . .. .

Oh wait . . I forgot that italics was the 'new black'.

I think I was only smart on that one day. :huh: Just makes you SOUND smart if you use words like "glottals" and "aspirated fricatives" :lol:

Oh that SO reminds me of this little place on Sanibel Island FL, where they had this flavorful combo platter of conch fritters & aspirated fricatives. Mmmmmm MMM!!

Welcome to Tom's constantly overanalyzing, soy-deprived brain. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Would someone please tell our Miss co-Poohbah Susie that riffing on a word doesn't even constitute analysis, much less OVERanalysis!! <_<:lol:

and I know, this thread started making my brain hurt when Tom joined.

:D

When I joined y'all were in the middle of a bra symposium. Ohhhhh if you'd only kept it up . . . . . . :P

I was wondering if some holidays were especially wacky, but now I see Halloween was much more frequent in your house. What a great thing to look back on! :)

Darn210 Enthusiast
Miller Lite put me through college ... no, I never liked beer ... my dad sold it. :lol:

Carla, I checked your profile and found no birthdate listed. I couldn't tell if my hubby helped put you through college or not. It's safe to say that he helped make more than a few car payments at your dad's house.

Aw Janet :lol: I was actually figuring to abstain from the math talk, unless it became integral to another topic - however tangentially. It could too easily stray into math anecdotes. No one wants that. . . . .

No No No . . . no one wants that :wacko:. Not that it will make any difference. Tom, you're a calculating sort and I suspect that the anecdotes will take off exponentially!!! (What do you think? Not nearly as smooth, huh?)

Archived