This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Well That Does It.....

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

I always thought paleo diet was a choice :angry:

I know I have to just get over this and suck it up but it stinks!

Now Im having problems with dairy and corn for sure and now rice or all grains possibly, tonight after a little testing. *Sorry if tmi* but Im bleeding and that cant be good! My sciatica with the big *D* has come back fully. My legs and back are killing me tonight and havent hurt since march. It was only gluten that did that before but apparently I cant tolerate much at all right now.

I'm so depressed right now, I hate the thought of plain meat, veggies and fruit for the rest of my life. I had a super crappy day today everything went wrong. I even started a kitchen fire! I forgot my pyrex plastic lid was in the oven and turned up the temperature. I smell something and look in the kitchen and the lid is on fire in the stove. Plastic melted everywhere. I let it cool and picked it out and tonight I need to spray oven cleaner in there so I can use it again. I have had a brain fog all day and cant think clearly and Im sure its do to all the stupid testing I have done.

Im crying right now and sitting on a pillow, I dont have hemorroids but its so sore I cant sit normally. Thankfully my daughter is gluten free so when she is older she doesnt have to deal with this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Babe, the best thing I can tell you is to just shut it down tonight. Tomorrow is another day. I am sorry that your's was so crappy. Life sucks sometimes.

Get a good nights sleep, and get back with us in the morning.

Lisa

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Autumn.....many hugs to you on this crappy day. Hopefully this is the worst of it and things will start looking up.

Maybe don't think of Paleo diet for the rest of your life....but just for a time. I *think* most people can introduce foods back in after a while, and let's hope this is the case with you. I would work on creativity and variety with the veggies and get an interesting vegetarian cookbook. Can you use spices? gluten-free vinegars? just a thought. And getting creative with salads.

Hang in there..... :)

blessings.

VydorScope Proficient

Some times some one, esply adluts with celiac disease has secondary intolerences (esply milk!) because of the damage done to thier body by the gluten response. And in those cases, most of the time, after the body has healed they can SLOWLY reintorduce the foods and be okay with them. Only time will tell for sure...

Guest AutumnE

I dont know of any spices or salad dressings without some kind of corn derivative, dairy, soy and gluten free. If anyone on here does I would love a name or recipe. My only savior has been my pop, I know pitiful but it kept me going and now I know why I have been having problems lately. I guess its back to plain water.

I cant eat soy because of my thyroid issues.

Im hoping I can reintroduce them again, man this is such a major life change I hope it doesnt stay.

Good night all :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Good, off to bed for you!

There is a really tasty-smelling spice mix I just got at the Celiac conference at Stanford a few weeks ago. It's the BBQ mix by a company called Cali, and they make others, all gluten/dairy/soy and corn-free. Try this:

www.califinefoods.com

at least it's something to spice up your meats. It's at Whole Foods and probably other health food stores.

See you -

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I use shallots, onion, salt, pepper, cumin seeds, lemon, cilantro (fresh), raw sauerkraut. I actually love the paleo diet for the most part. Meat rollups are great - meat, mustard, avocado, pepper, piece of salad?, raw sauerkraut?...yum. I eat these a lot, and like them very much. They don't seem plain.

Also, I cook a whole chicken now and again. You can make squash soup by baking a squash and an apple, also carmelizing an onion or two, then putting in food processor with salt, pepper, and some veggie or chicken broth. Yum. You can add cardomom here (you can get spices that say 100% cardomom, no preserv. no additives, etc...but cardomom also comes in pods you can use fresh, like nutmeg sortof).

I make my own trail mix, and it has interesting ingrediets: dried cherries, dried cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds, cut up prunes, raisins, cut up figs, and if you want, dried berries like blueberries, raspberriese, and strawberries, but if you add those, don't seal them up in ziplocks or they get all rehydrated and strange.

For lattes and the like there is almond milk, if you're not allergic, and today I found hazlenut (haven't tasted it yet). I get Pacific brand because it is soy free as well as gluten free - others have soy lecithin.

I had cashew encrusted halibut the other day that I play to replicate.

Spaghetti squash is good for putting meat/fish on top of and then using a sauce. It soaks up the sauce a bit like potato or rice, not the same, but works really well, especially with salmon and halibut.

Protein (fish or steak or chicken) on salad is really good. Think of dried fruits in your salad - yummy.

I know it's hard; it really is, I admit to that. But I find it to be worth it if it makes me feel better. Living life under the yoke of physical discomfort is no way to live...I feel so much better that now if I get goofy intestines or something, I am a real baby about it - how did I live life like this every day for 35 years?

Take care.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Bully4You - I am copying and pasting that entire page you just wrote - such good ideas and I'm not on paleolithic diet but plan to lean more that way (uh, potato chips and Hershey's chocolate aside :ph34r: )...any more good ideas? And...what kind of meat do you use in those rollups? I'm definitely going to try that. Oh, and what is raw saurkraut? is that just cabbage? I'm a bit clue-less on that...

thanks! great ideas.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

aww. :( Hang in there, and have some chicken soup. Treat your tummy as though it's had the flu--eat thte things that you know will be easy on it for a week or two, and then, if you are feeling a lot better, introduce ONE new thing and see if your tummy's ready.

Do you have Costco near you? They have gluten-free roast chickens that are really yummy and gluten-free.

After you eat the meat, put the bones in your crock-pot on high for several hours, along with a couple of chopped onions, carrots, sweet potatoes (if you can eat them), a parsnip, dill, and parsley, ad water to cover.

Drain, refgrigerate, skim the fat (save it in the freezer to make gluten-free matzoh balls using potato buds), add noodles and some frozen peas and carrots, and sliced green onions, and your tummy will be very happy.

Is dark chocolate on the paleo diet?

eKatherine Rookie

I dont know of any spices or salad dressings without some kind of corn derivative, dairy, soy and gluten free. If anyone on here does I would love a name or recipe. My only savior has been my pop, I know pitiful but it kept me going and now I know why I have been having problems lately. I guess its back to plain water.

I cant eat soy because of my thyroid issues.

Im hoping I can reintroduce them again, man this is such a major life change I hope it doesnt stay.

Good night all :)

Buy your spices individually, not blended. They are pure that way. And make your salads with oil and vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper.

IrishKelly Contributor
Some times some one, esply adluts with celiac disease has secondary intolerences (esply milk!) because of the damage done to thier body by the gluten response. And in those cases, most of the time, after the body has healed they can SLOWLY reintorduce the foods and be okay with them. Only time will tell for sure...

YEP...i agree with this. Just try to hang in there with plain soft cooked meats (like boiled chicken), soft cooked veggies and fruit, and then when things are all healed you should be able to re-introduce the others slowly back in, i'm going through this with you right now, and yes, IT SUCKS!! But, if we all hang in there together, we will all be able to eat normally for the most part again ;)

LKelly8 Rookie

^_^ This is my favorite simple dressing. I hope it follows your diet.

1/2 c oil

1/3 c honey

1/4 lime or lemon juice (Lime blends much better with the honey flavor, I think)

1 tbsp mustard, dijon or otherwise.

happygirl Collaborator

Just a note about CaliFineFoods. I ordered from them right before I realized I was corn intolerant. I wrote her asking about the fructose listed in the ingredients.

She was extremely helpful and I have corresponded with her multiple times. However, fructose IS corn derived. In Canada, her products are listed as corn free, in America, they are not. I chose not to try them because I am extremely sensitive to corn now. It is corn syrup turned to corn starch, then the fructose is extracted.

the Salt listed in her packages is corn free though. It is sea salt which is corn free. Iodized salt (all table salt) have corn derivatives in them.

Autumn-I'm sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. Hugs. I have multiple intolerances and am struggling as well. Let me know what I can do. I would highly recommend the corn forum on delphi...it is similar to this board here and they are EXTREMELY knowledgable. Also, cornallergens.com is a good starting point.

LKelly: I'm not sure if that would work for corn avoiding people. Mustards have vinegars, many of which are not safe for corn-free people. There is a brand on the allergygrocer.com that is supposed to be corn free. Also, honey (because of cross-pollination and other theories) can have traces of corn in them.

Simply-V Newbie
LKelly: I'm not sure if that would work for corn avoiding people. Mustards have vinegars, many of which are not safe for corn-free people. There is a brand on the allergygrocer.com that is supposed to be corn free. Also, honey (because of cross-pollination and other theories) can have traces of corn in them.

Orphee Mustard at allergygrocer.com is corn-free and probably gluten-free as well since its made with apple cider vinegar.

Imported honey's are often corn-free, especially honey's which state where they are made. Such as Orange Blossom honey, Lemon honey, etc. Read labels, most imported honeys will tell you where they are made and what is around for pollen. I've had good luck with honey from Spain and France. I have not hand any luck with any american made honey.

Simply-V Newbie
I always thought paleo diet was a choice :angry:

I know I have to just get over this and suck it up but it stinks!

Now Im having problems with dairy and corn for sure and now rice or all grains possibly, tonight after a little testing. *Sorry if tmi* but Im bleeding and that cant be good! My sciatica with the big *D* has come back fully. My legs and back are killing me tonight and havent hurt since march. It was only gluten that did that before but apparently I cant tolerate much at all right now.

I'm so depressed right now, I hate the thought of plain meat, veggies and fruit for the rest of my life. I had a super crappy day today everything went wrong. I even started a kitchen fire! I forgot my pyrex plastic lid was in the oven and turned up the temperature. I smell something and look in the kitchen and the lid is on fire in the stove. Plastic melted everywhere. I let it cool and picked it out and tonight I need to spray oven cleaner in there so I can use it again. I have had a brain fog all day and cant think clearly and Im sure its do to all the stupid testing I have done.

Im crying right now and sitting on a pillow, I dont have hemorroids but its so sore I cant sit normally. Thankfully my daughter is gluten free so when she is older she doesnt have to deal with this.

Autumn have you gotten your results from Enterolab? Do you for certain (lab results) have problems with gluten?

I'm asking because many corn-allergic (testing often misses this) people originally think they have gluten problems since corn is often in many gluten products. When they cut out gluten, they also cut out a lot of corn. These problems with corn & rice could be the original problem. A lot of corn allergy/intolerance symptoms are the same as those of gluten intolerance.

Corn is everywhere, and extremely difficult to avoid. As Laura advised. Check out the Delphi forums site: Avoiding Corn. Open Original Shared Link

also no-corn.blogspot.com has good information and links to other reliable corn-free sources.

I've also been where you are.. crying and hurting and thinking of how futile this is. There is relief. Its just finding the source of the problem that is the most difficult.

Please message me if you want more information or to talk.

Simply-V Newbie
^_^ This is my favorite simple dressing. I hope it follows your diet.

1/2 c oil

1/3 c honey

1/4 lime or lemon juice (Lime blends much better with the honey flavor, I think)

1 tbsp mustard, dijon or otherwise.

Just wanted to let you know I tried this and it was good. Honey Mustard isn't my favorite so I altered it a bit.

I made 1/2 recipe using Lundberg Rice Syrup instead of honey, and orphee dijon. Then I added 1/4 c. Pomi tomatoes, a dash of garlic powder, and a dash of ground celery. Blended it til smooth. It was fabulous!

Thanks for posting the "stater" recipe. I'm probably going to use it and alter it into various "flavors".

Guest AutumnE

Thanks everyone :) for the tips info and recipes, I appreciate them alot.

We had sort of a family crisis lately hence me not being online, it seems like there is always something anymore. I have been better at avoiding corn, its still hard not to go back. I did have a small glass of diet sprite the other night and woke up with an aching stomach again.

I havent had my test results back yet from enterolab. Im sure I have gluten problems though because its very different with corn than with gluten. My sister, niece, and nephew were tested and all have it. Im not following the paleo diet for the health benefits of it so much right now just out of necessity. I have lost weight this week due to it which has been nice :)

My oven is officially out of commission. It was really old anyways. I didnt want to replace it with us having our house up for sale but I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it. It still stinks when I heat it up so I dont feel its safe for us to use. For now Im using my toaster/convection oven which thankfully works well. Im looking around for a new stove also or a good used one in the paper.

Simply-V Newbie
We had sort of a family crisis lately hence me not being online, it seems like there is always something anymore. I have been better at avoiding corn, its still hard not to go back. I did have a small glass of diet sprite the other night and woke up with an aching stomach again.

I havent had my test results back yet from enterolab. Im sure I have gluten problems though because its very different with corn than with gluten. My sister, niece, and nephew were tested and all have it. Im not following the paleo diet for the health benefits of it so much right now just out of necessity. I have lost weight this week due to it which has been nice :)

Sorry to hear about your crisis. Hope everything is ok.

I know what you mean about its hard not to go back to corn. When I first discovered my corn allergy, I was suffering from corn allergy addiction. I was so used to that surge of adrenaline when I ate, that things just didn't taste the same to me. Honestly I was an adrenaline junkie.

I still have bouts of it, if I happen into some minor amount of corn (not large enough to get me sick, but just enough to set off adrenaline). I get a kind of high. I'm told its comparable to smoking pot. When the high starts to wear off, I get insane cravings. It took me a few weeks initially to figure out why suddenly I was craving wierd things like canned goods, honey, certain veggies/fruits. Then I learned all the different names for corn and different places it could be. Turns out my wierd cravings were for foods that my subconscious and my body knew had corn in it, even though I didn't know it. I would eat and eat til I found just the right amount of corn to satisfy the withdrawl. As I eliminated corn from my cupboards, my cravings changed to suit. It actually helped me pinpoint hidden sources of corn in my diet. Now when I get this binge eating hunger, I recognize it for what it is and start looking for the source.

Btw, fake sugars are evil. They're all corn, and they just perpetuate sweet cravings. There isn't a one of the major brands that doesn't make me sick. (cept some brands of liquid Stevia, and allergygrocer.com 's xylitol which is from birch). Mostly I just stick to real sugar as my body likes it better.

Guest AutumnE

V- Thanks :) Yes I agree they are evil. Im getting headaches all the time now and have resorted a few times to drinking mountain dew just to get rid of them only to feel a tummy ache last for about 24 hours.

I was/am addicted to soda. Diet or regular it didnt matter. I need to be like my daughter and I am trying to stick to water only. She rarely drinks milk so she gets calcium supplements and she gets loads of cheese to make up for it. Im cutting out all sugar, caffiene,limiting grains and potatoes due to my insulin resistance, no dairy and no corn. Yes very bland, dh and my daughter definitely do not follow what I do so I stick veggies and meat in the crockpot and eat salads with fruit. The bonus weight loss is coming off nicely; perfect for the holidays :) I have loads of clothes in smaller sizes that I cant wait to wear again!

My crisis was related to me mostly a few problems with my eyes and our car in the shop two times last week. Plus dh is laid off and money is tight. Things are slowly becoming normal again.

Simply-V Newbie
V- Thanks :) Yes I agree they are evil. Im getting headaches all the time now and have resorted a few times to drinking mountain dew just to get rid of them only to feel a tummy ache last for about 24 hours.

I was/am addicted to soda. Diet or regular it didnt matter.

It sounds like withdrawl. If drinking something with corn (diet or regular soda) stop the headaches, then probably all you're doing is staving off the detox/withdrawl. Much like an alcoholic taking a sip of alcohol every time they get the shakes.

Work tword getting off them completely.

As for suppliments, many manufacturers of suppliments put corn in the fillers. Its either labeled clearly corn starch or hidden among the various names of corn derivatives. Phytopharmica is the brand I use. They make a few things that aren't corn-free. However if they say its corn-free, it is. Other companies will state corn-free, but often that just means "highly processed corn derivatives", not actually free of corn derivatives. Or thats my experience.

Im cutting out all sugar, caffiene,limiting grains and potatoes due to my insulin resistance, no dairy and no corn. Yes very bland, dh and my daughter definitely do not follow what I do so I stick veggies and meat in the crockpot and eat salads with fruit. The bonus weight loss is coming off nicely; perfect for the holidays :) I have loads of clothes in smaller sizes that I cant wait to wear again!

My crisis was related to me mostly a few problems with my eyes and our car in the shop two times last week. Plus dh is laid off and money is tight. Things are slowly becoming normal again.

I was "diagnosed" with PCOS a couple years ago as well, about the same time I found the corn allergy. I've found that all my PCOS symptoms have gone away by completely (and anally) removing corn from my diet. Cutting out extra sugars, moderating grains/starches.. will help some. But I think you'll find that cutting out all corn will also decrease your need or want for such things anyway.

I was 290 lbs before all this, and am now at 240 and still losing. However if I eat corn in any amount, I will gain weight. Its actually an alarm bell for me that I'm getting into something bad.

I currently eat whatever I want (juices, potatoes, grains, candy, etc) as long as it is corn-free (plus milk, egg, & bean-free), and my A1C last checked went down .2, my cholesterol stablized (not elevating like it was), and I feel great.

Btw if you get a soda craving, Virgil's makes corn-free Rootbeer and Cream Soda. I believe they're both gluten-free as well.

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much :)

When I was gluten free by atkins diet years ago I started ovulating and became pregnant twice in three months. I fully believe it was my diet, I also was avoiding corn of course.

Are you on Glucophage? I am on it but hate the stomach upset that comes with it. Im hoping to come off of it when my weight goes down more. I am due to see my ob/gyn soon and will have her run a fasting insulin to see if she wants to try and pull me off it.

I feel like crud right now, I cheated and had a swig of mountain dew and have a stomach ache let alone the big D. I need to just quit it and deal with the withdrawal symptoms. I am just dragging it on.

Simply-V Newbie
Thanks so much :)

When I was gluten free by atkins diet years ago I started ovulating and became pregnant twice in three months. I fully believe it was my diet, I also was avoiding corn of course.

Are you on Glucophage? I am on it but hate the stomach upset that comes with it. Im hoping to come off of it when my weight goes down more. I am due to see my ob/gyn soon and will have her run a fasting insulin to see if she wants to try and pull me off it.

I feel like crud right now, I cheated and had a swig of mountain dew and have a stomach ache let alone the big D. I need to just quit it and deal with the withdrawal symptoms. I am just dragging it on.

Yeah you do need to just stop it. I know its hard.

I'm not on any meds for PCOS. I was diagnosed with it just as I started corn-free. Doc wanted to do diet change first (South Beach) and see if my results stablized or went down. South Beach itself didn't do much good, but my test results didn't get worse so Doc wanted to try it longer. It took a while for me to really get the hang of corn-free so by the next test I'd been corn-free for quite a while. My results improved. The Doc wanted me to take a cholesterol med, but I haven't found one that is really corn-free and if my results aren't better by my next test I'll look more into it.

As for the stomache upset with Glucophage. Could you be reacting to other ingredients in it?

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I always thought paleo diet was a choice
My body is trying to force me on the paleo diet as well (read my signature). Out of my allergies, I still eat blueberries and regular potatoes (sweet potatoes seem to be the problem). I get depressed about it, but I always find ways to make things that I want using safe ingredients. I have a list of recipes in the recipe section.
Guest AutumnE

v- I think its the medicine and not what I eat necessarily, I visit a pcos suppourt website and its a common problem. I do notice I have to be sooo careful to pay attention to eating right now. With hardly any carbs due to only potatoes and rice available I get weak fast if I dont continually replenish with my medicine lowering my insulin. So far my cholesterol is fine thank goodness but who knows about the near future unless I pull this weight off fast. So far Im looking at about 3 lbs a week loss but I have over 100 lbs to go.

Carrie- Sorry your dealing with it too, Im not looking forward to the holidays and plan on cooking for my family all the things I wont be able to eat so my daughter will have the normal holiday treats everyone else has. As a matter of fact we are skipping two dinners in the next few months, a christmas party dinner and just arriving afterwards and a wedding reception and just going to the wedding. How do I get to the recipes section? I would love to look up some.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Carrie- Sorry your dealing with it too, Im not looking forward to the holidays and plan on cooking for my family all the things I wont be able to eat so my daughter will have the normal holiday treats everyone else has. As a matter of fact we are skipping two dinners in the next few months, a christmas party dinner and just arriving afterwards and a wedding reception and just going to the wedding. How do I get to the recipes section? I would love to look up some.

Cooking for holidays can be a stressful and busy procedure. Last week-end, I cooked for thanksgiving dinner here in Canada. Over the weekend I cooked two chickens, a pot roast, two apple crisps, and lots of vegetables! Here is a link to some of my recipes:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived