This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frank's Hot Sauces

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Has anyone had any reactions from Frank's Hot Sauces? Their website says which products are gluten-free:

Q: Are FRANK'S® RedHot® sauce products gluten free?

A: Yes, FRANK'S® RedHot® Original, XTRA Hot, Buffalo Wing Sauce and Chile 'n Lime™ are gluten free.

However, I have reacted to products that are gluten-free in the past because of cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

Hi Carrie,

I also have reacted to "gluten-free" things, and have never had an issue with Frank's Hot Sauce. I've only had the original and Chile/Lime varieties.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Hi Carrie,

I also have reacted to "gluten-free" things, and have never had an issue with Frank's Hot Sauce. I've only had the original and Chile/Lime varieties.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Does anyone know if there are any other gluten-free hot sauces?

lorka150 Collaborator

Hi (again),

I know that President's Choice makes one that my dad likes. I think it's just "Hot Sauce". It comes in a little bottle.

They are the same company as French's mustard, which I don't think is ConAgra. That's all I know!

Dan T's sauces and Mr. Spice are also fine.

lovegrov Collaborator

Frank's seems to be perfectly safe. Great for buffalo wings. I'm not telling you to pick up a hot sauce and use it without checking, but most hot sauces are safe.

richard

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Hi (again),

I know that President's Choice makes one that my dad likes. I think it's just "Hot Sauce". It comes in a little bottle. They are the same company as French's mustard, which I don't think is ConAgra. That's all I know!

Dan T's sauces and Mr. Spice are also fine.

Thank-you for your help :)

Frank's seems to be perfectly safe. Great for buffalo wings. I'm not telling you to pick up a hot sauce and use it without checking, but most hot sauces are safe.
Thanks. Actually, I was hoping to use Franks (or another hot sauce) for buffalo wings. I have been craving them lately. Probably doesn't help that people keep eating wings around me though ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

grantschoep Contributor

I think Franks is owned by French's now, it was owned by Durkee for awhile too. Its been owned by itself a few times too.

I've called and Franks is gluten-free. This was a big concern to me originally, as I generally bought Franks by the gallon. I still do, but a gallon now lasts me more than a month. I used to throw big hot wing party's. Not big really, but, about 10 of us would "very heathily" eat 20 lbs of wings, with Franks, plus added hotter sauce to make it hotter, as Franks has great flavor, but could use a boost to heat. Its a perfect base sauce for mixes. Ah.. I miss those days, "butter + Franks + A$$ in Space + Dave's Total Insanity Sauce" == tasty....

It does kind of hurt the next morning...

connole1056 Rookie

I did not remember reading how the wings you are referring to are prepared. If they are being fried, have you checked to make sure there is no cross-contamination with other products being fried in the oil? Or the oil itself? Another issue could be using frozen chicken wings as some have gluten containing broths injected into them.

Just thought you may have overlooked this so I thought it might be worth looking into. I have never heard of Frank's having gluten in it, that's why.

grantschoep Contributor

If your making your own wings, I recommend grilling them. I think they generally turn out better, and less messy. I buy frozen ones I know don't have any gluten based broths. Or pick them up from my local butcher who knows me.

Throw them raw onto the grill and cook them to almost done. Throw them in a pot with melted butter and franks. Let them soak for a few minutes. Put them on the grill until the sauce is about dry. Low long heat.

Just make sure your grill is clean too. I remeber I used to toast big loaves of french bread on the grill.

If its at a restaraunt, I'd skip it altogether. Other, than of course a completely gluten free restarunt.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I've called and Franks is gluten-free.
Thanks B)

Grilling is probably healthier too :) Do you use a BBQ or a grill inside?

lovegrov Collaborator

You definitely do not want to use a charcoal or gas grill inside. Carbon monoxide and you might burn the place down. You can grill them inside the over, which is what I often do. It takes longer but it's healthier.

richard

"If its at a restaraunt, I'd skip it altogether. Other, than of course a completely gluten free restarunt."

For me it depends. Buffalo Wild Wings fries its "naked" wings in their own fryer and puts the sauce on after. Last time I checked all but two sauces were gluten-free (both of those had Asian type names, which as you might guess, meant soy sauce was an ingredient).

richard

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Thanks B)

Grilling is probably healthier too :) Do you use a BBQ or a grill inside?

When I make wings I spread them out on a jelly roll type cookie sheet and bake them in the oven. It can get a little smokey if you're not vigilant, but it's definately less messy than frying them and having to clean the whole kitchen when you're done! I want some now!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
When I make wings I spread them out on a jelly roll type cookie sheet and bake them in the oven.
I'll have to try that! How long do they take in the oven?
lovegrov Collaborator

I put my wings in at around 400 for 40-45 minutes, but I also keep an eye on them.

richard

TriticusToxicum Explorer
I'll have to try that! How long do they take in the oven?

If they 're frozen about 40-45 mins, "fresh" 30-40 mins at 400F, but keep an eye on them!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
If they 're frozen about 40-45 mins, "fresh" 30-40 mins at 400F, but keep an eye on them!
grantschoep Contributor

I've always just grilled mine, i.e. outside on a B.B.Q.(or grill depending on where you are in the US)

I'm for it even if its cold(very). In college, a friend of mine took a picture of me standing outside grilling the wings, with a beer in hand(not gluten-free...), and next to me was a thermometer that read something liek - 28 F (that negative)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'm for it even if its cold(very). In college, a friend of mine took a picture of me standing outside grilling the wings, with a beer in hand(not gluten-free...), and next to me was a thermometer that read something liek - 28 F (that negative)
Oh wow :o that is cold! Those wings must be good! What do you put on them?
grantschoep Contributor

That batch was my typical base mix I like to start with.

1 16 oz bottel Franks Hot Sauce

1 12 oz bottle Crystal Hot Sauce (getting hard to find, I but it when out in California bay area now)

1 7 oz bottle of Pico-Pica (usually with taco sauces)

1/4 pound stick of un-salted butter.

1. Put wings on grill start grilling.

2. Put butter in man, melt till all melted.

3. Add all sauces.

You can double the qunatity. The above makes for a good 4 lbs of wings double dunked.

Wait ti the wings are about 80 percent cooked. Depending on your pan size, rotate the par-cooked wings through the sauce. Let them all sit in the sauce for at least 30 seconds.

take them all out, put on grill, low heat, close cover.

Low heat is key at this point, we just want to dry the sauce into the wings. But not burn the wings. Careful watch as the wings like to cause flair ups. Burned wings are no good.

Then I like to double dunk, i.e repeat the exact above procedure, where you take them out and let them soak for 60 seconds.

By this time, most of the sauce is gone. All on the wings, cooked in a bit.

I used to do the above for parties, but have massive amounts of more everything. The base sauce pan would be the same(added those 3 main sauces as I went). But, each consecutive batch, I'd mix in some of the stronger habenaro sauces. People get used to the initial heat, and then don't notice its getting a lot hotter.

Good fun

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thank you. Those sound tasty :) And you really seem to know how to cook them. I probably would have burned them, but now I will be more careful. I may cook mine in the oven (since I don't have a BBQ).

I've never heard of Pico-Pica. Is it a salsa?

Archived